Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 10-07-2020, 10:30 AM #1
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Default Javicia Leslie has been cast as Batwoman

Quote:

Batwoman has found a new lead actress, with Javicia Leslie stepping up to wear the cape and cowl on the TV show's second season.

Leslie will play Ryan Wilder, a new "likable, messy, a little goofy and untamed" character who will take over from Kate Kane, alias Batwoman.

Kane was played by Ruby Rose, who shocked fans by quitting in May.

Leslie's casting makes her the first black actress to portray the character in a live action TV show or film.

"I am extremely proud to be the first black actress to play the iconic role of Batwoman on television," said the actress, who previously starred in the US comedy-drama God Friended Me.

"And as a bisexual woman, I am honoured to join this groundbreaking show which has been such a trailblazer for the LGBTQ+ community."

Rose walked away from the role of Batwoman in May, shortly after the first season finished on US TV network The CW.

The actress said it had been a "very difficult decision" not to return to the show, which is the first superhero series to have a gay lead character.

Her departure came a year after she suffered an injury while filming that required her to have emergency surgery, although Deadline reported her decision was not related to the injury.

Rose congratulated her successor on Instagram, writing: "This is amazing!"

> https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-53346036
Dayum, she's gorgeous <3

I like that they're doing something different, in the comics Batwoman is my least favourite member of the Batfam because she's basically a copy+paste of Batman, whereas Leslie's character is a whole new thing.

I hope they go with Batgirl's style, with a domino mask and horned headband rather than a cowl.

And not to take anything away from her, but the "first black actress to play the role in live action" is slightly amusing, as she's the second ever actress to play the character in live action

Last edited by Oliver_W; 10-07-2020 at 11:08 AM.
Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 10:16 PM #2
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Dayum, she's gorgeous <3

I like that they're doing something different, in the comics Batwoman is my least favourite member of the Batfam because she's basically a copy+paste of Batman, whereas Leslie's character is a whole new thing.

I hope they go with Batgirl's style, with a domino mask and horned headband rather than a cowl.

And not to take anything away from her, but the "first black actress to play the role in live action" is slightly amusing, as she's the second ever actress to play the character in live action
It's the BBC, they're probably conflating Batwoman with Batgirl (who has had a couple of live action versions).
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:24 AM #3
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
It's the BBC, they're probably conflating Batwoman with Batgirl (who has had a couple of live action versions).
Maybe my views are skewed because I've liked the characters since I was about ten, but I thought everyone knew Girl and Woman were completely different people
Batgirl = Barbara Gordon, rejected by the police for being too short so used a costume she used to prank her dad to fight crime, was given a proper one by Batman
Batwoman = Kate Kane, (usually) Bruce's cousin, rich person who used her wealth to become a vigilante.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
batwoman, cast, javicia, leslie