Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 27-07-2020, 12:20 PM #26
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
There's a new series in development called 'Overlook' produced by JJ Abrams company, said to be inspired by and featuring characters from The Shining.

https://collider.com/the-shining-tv-...brams-hbo-max/

I haven't seen Doctor Sleep.
I really enjoyed that, I haven't read the books but it felt a lot different to the first film, like a totally different genre. I know Stephen King wasn't happy with the Shining (the film) so i wonder was Dr Sleep closer to his books

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 12:21 PM #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...I don’t know if Kubrick’s treatment of her directly led to in any way, but it’s entirely possible that it could have been a significant trigger to the deterioration of her mental health...and it’s also possible that he could have chosen her because he saw an actress whose mental health could be exploited in the way he wanted the character to be and in the way that he did...I mean, ‘victims’ are often well chosen, aren’t they...he had insisted on Shelley when apparently she was less obvious to play the character as written in the book, it had been suggested, Jessica Lange as written the character had been much ‘tougher’ in the book... but he had changed the character completely to fit Shelley is what is being said...only he then had to create and not just when the camera was rolling...telling all of the cast to show her no sympathy when she broke down and making her feel isolated...to not see another human being but to only see ‘a performance’ or to see a fragile mental health that could be moulded into the performance he hoped for, whichever way his ‘method’....he really isn’t someone for me who could ever be admired in any way...

Yes later she had mental problems
and stopped acting.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 12:23 PM #28
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Thurman’s revelations about Weinstein’s abuse were horrific, but the way she was treated by Tarantino, Kill Bill’s director, is similarly gut-wrenching. Tarantino has been lauded for his work on Kill Bill, a series that absolutely embodies the empowerment of women. But what Thurman has revealed about the way Tarantino treated her while filming the movies undermines it.

It all stems from that infamous scene in which Thurman’s character is driving a blue convertible. She explained that a teamster had given her a heads up that the car wasn’t in great shape, so when Tarantino told her he wanted her to drive it herself instead of using a stunt driver, she objected.

“Quentin came in my trailer and didn’t like to hear no, like any director,” she said. “He was furious because I’d cost them a lot of time. But I was scared. He said: ‘I promise you the car is fine. It’s a straight piece of road. Hit 40 miles per hour or your hair won’t blow the right way and I’ll make you do it again.’ But that was a deathbox that I was in. The seat wasn’t screwed down properly. It was a sand road and it was not a straight road.”

Thurman ended up losing control of the car and crashing it into a tree. There’s footage from a camera mounted inside the car, and it’s pretty harrowing.

“The steering wheel was at my belly and my legs were jammed under me,” Thurman said, describing the moments just after the car crashed. “I felt this searing pain and thought, ‘Oh my God, I’m never going to walk again.’ When I came back from the hospital in a neck brace with my knees damaged and a large massive egg on my head and a concussion, I wanted to see the car and I was very upset. Quentin and I had an enormous fight, and I accused him of trying to kill me. And he was very angry at that, I guess understandably, because he didn’t feel he had tried to kill me.”

Thurman then detailed the process she had to go through to get Tarantino and Miramax, the studio funding the film, to admit any fault for her injuries, or even to allow her to see the footage of the accident. Miramax reportedly told Thurman she could have the footage if she signed a document “releasing them of any consequences of my future pain and suffering.” She chose not to.

Thurman says Tarantino’s dismissal of her continued as filming wrapped and they had to travel together to promote Kill Bill. “We were in a terrible fight for years. We had to then go through promoting the movies. It was all very thin ice. We had a fateful fight at Soho House in New York in 2004 and we were shouting at each other because he wouldn’t let me see the footage and he told me that was what they had all decided.”

For years, Thurman gave up on finding justice for the way Tarantino treated her. It was the #MeToo movement and the flood of allegations against Weinstein, forcing her to relive her own “dehumanization to the point of death” that inspired Thurman to pick up where she left off with Tarantino, trying to get him to give her the footage that showed the dangerous position he put her in.

“Quentin finally atoned by giving it to me after 15 years, right?” she said. “Not that it matters now, with my permanently damaged neck and my screwed-up knees… When they turned on me after the accident, I went from being a creative contributor and performer to being like a broken tool.”

The crash was just a turning point for Thurman, who had been mistreated by Tarantino without “feeling disempowered” for a long time. In the New York Times article, she notes that he acted as a stand-in for other actors during filming of some of Kill Bill‘s more sadistic scenes, like one where a man spit in her face, and another where he choked her with a chain. Thurman’s longtime friend and fellow actor, Jessica Chastain, weighed in to criticize Tarantino for that behavior. Her insight is dead-on.
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 12:24 PM #29
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Old 27-07-2020, 12:29 PM #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
His daughter says that he deliberately bullied her on set as well

https://www.thevintagenews.com/2017/...lley.%E2%80%9D
She filmed the behind-the-scenes but I don't think she said he bullied Shelley, like the article implies. Like I said before people who don't give media interviews can have things written about them that don't get corrected. I think that is how a false picture can be made over the years.

His daughter did criticise the TV psychologist Dr Phil for putting Shelley Duvall on his show, saying it was exploitative.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 12:56 PM #31
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
She filmed the behind-the-scenes but I don't think she said he bullied Shelley, like the article implies. Like I said before people who don't give media interviews can have things written about them that don't get corrected. I think that is how a false picture can be made over the years.

His daughter did criticise the TV psychologist Dr Phil for putting Shelley Duvall on his show, saying it was exploitative.
So do you think how he treated her has all been made up? Seems unlikely

https://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebri...uvall-21615871

I haven't seen the Dr Phil interview but I had read about his daughter saying that about it

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 27-07-2020, 02:36 PM #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
100% agree - it's a decent horror film but it is an abysmal adaptation of the source material. Jack Nicholson played Jack as a bit mental/menacing/scary from the outset. Shelley Duvall played Wendy as timid/scared/anxious from the outset.

They're supposed to start off seeming relatively normal and then completely unravelling psychologically as time goes on...

...it's literally the entire point of the book. It's basically the whole story. And of course the other vital story beat is Jack's eventual "moment of clarity" that allows him to destroy the hotel (and himself along with it) ... which they changed in favour of a "creepier ending" for the film.

SO yeah to reiterate... it's a well made horror film but it's a really shockingly bad conversion of the book that completely misses the point.
Precisely TS
hijaxers is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-07-2020, 02:40 PM #33
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...it’s quite curious that Kubrick’s daughter set up the Go Fund Me for Shelley’s mental healthcare after the Dr Phil show...when any form of psychiatry would be against her Scientology beliefs...
Old 27-07-2020, 02:48 PM #34
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...it’s quite curious that Kubrick’s daughter set up the Go Fund Me for Shelley’s mental healthcare after the Dr Phil show...when any form of psychiatry would be against her Scientology beliefs...
Oh is she a Scientologist? Maybe she's trying to shift blame from her father or something. Odd

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 27-07-2020, 02:54 PM #35
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Oh is she a Scientologist? Maybe she's trying to shift blame from her father or something. Odd
...yeah, I read she was a Scientologist...which is is why it’s curious that she set up the go fund me for mental healthcare for Shelley...something she wouldn’t have believed in..?...it does suggest that she may have felt ‘blame’ for her father as well...I don’t know, it’s just odd...
Old 27-07-2020, 04:14 PM #36

I just think it is a bit of stretch to link the filming of The Shining in 1979 to how Shelley Duvall appeared on the TV show in 2016. But it is not impossible.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-07-2020, 02:31 PM #37
Banned

Banned

Abuse can stick with someone for a lifetime and from what I've seen and heard from articles and such written about it, Kubrick basically tortured her mentally over a long shoot that lasted months.

Stanley Kubrick, by all accounts, was a ****ty human being.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
brutal, controlling, end, kubrick, malcolm, mcdowell