Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 29-07-2020, 03:30 PM #3201
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

we know well, that areas of high infection spread very quickly to other areas, so it makes sense to red flag the country. New York is under control now, but that hasn't enabled free flights in and out of there because America as a whole has serious problems. Plenty countries have blocked the USA ... including Spain
Old 29-07-2020, 04:17 PM #3202

Heathrow Boss wants passengers to pay
for a Test when the return?

But the Government does not agree with his plan.
Old 29-07-2020, 04:26 PM #3203
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
This is the scottish guidance which doesnt differ significantly from the English one
The original advice was to shield for at least 12 weeks, which comes to an end on 18 June. The levels of infection in the community are now significantly lower than they were in March, but the evidence suggests that it is advisable that people with the highest clinical risk should continue to shield. Having set out to save lives it does not feel right to prematurely end shielding until we are confident the evidence supports it.

However, we are very aware that shielding is difficult and it is not sustainable in the long term. The longer people are advised to shield, the greater impact it will have on their physical and mental health, on their relationships with their families and loved ones and on their quality of life. We are monitoring these impacts and constantly weighing up these harms against the benefits of shielding.

Moving to a new approach for shielding
We are learning about the virus all the time, and in particular about the factors that increase or reduce the risk to particular people. Because different things matter to different people, we need to move towards the idea of enabling those who are shielding to make choices about how to do it. In the course of the summer, once the evidence base has been developed, we will
:

Provide people with updated clinical evidence about their conditions and what that means for their risk from Covid,
Help those shielding understand the changing levels of infection in the community and how to reduce the chance of catching the virus
Provide that information in a way that is accessible, understandable and helpful,
Give people who are shielding access to support that can help them make informed choices about their lives,
Support people shielding to put their choices into practice.
These choices have a tremendous impact on the lives of people shielding and also on the lives of their loved ones. That's why it's important that we do everything we can to make sure they have the chance to consider what matters to them.

We will continue to advise people shielding in an honest and open way, and we promise that advice will always be based on the best evidence we have.

This approach is dependent on us understanding as much as possible about the chances of people shielding catching the virus and the risk to them if they do. The evidence to support this is growing but we need to be sure it is robust enough before we start using it to change our approach. There is coordinated work being carried out across the four nations to gather this evidence and we hope that we will start to see the benefits of that over the course of
the summer.

Extension to shielding
We are advising people to continue to shield until at least 31st July. That is because, although infection rates are much lower than they were at the start of lockdown, we are not yet confident that it is safe enough to change our advice.

During this time we will continually review this advice and monitor Covid infection levels to make sure it remains the correct decision. We will continue to balance this against the harms caused by shielding. People who are shielding will continue to receive the support they have been getting, whether that be free weekly food boxes, access to priority supermarket delivery slots, pharmacy deliveries, or other support through Local Authorities.

However, we understand that it is not fair to continue to ask people to stay at home all the times, especially as restrictions are eased for everyone else. This is why we will be looking
for ways to gradually ease the guidance for shielding people if clinicians and scientists advise it is safe.

Outdoor Exercise
We will start by making a change to the advice on going outdoors for exercise.

We anticipate that people shielding will be able to take exercise outdoors from 18 June.

However, we will confirm this on 18 June based on the evidence. This also will not apply to people living in nursing or residential care homes – we are not yet confident this
is safe.

If you have been advised to shield and wish to go outside for exercise after 18 June, you should take the following precautions:

Go outdoors for a walk, wheel, run or cycle. We do not recommend that you take part in outdoor activities such as golf, hiking, canoeing, outdoor swimming, angling, etc. in the same way as the rest of the population can just now. You:

Can go out on your own or with someone you live with
Should maintain strict physical distancing, also known as social distancing, at all times, even if you live with the person you're out with. This means keeping 2 metres (or three steps) away from other people at all times
Should not meet with anyone you do not live with
Should choose times and areas that are quiet, if you can
Should wash your hands for at least 20 seconds as soon as you get back home
Future Changes to Advice
We do not intend to advise you to shield completely for any longer than necessary without further changes. We will set out updated guidance for you by 31 July at the latest. However, between now and then – and in addition to the changes we are signalling now on outdoor exercise – we will make further changes if it is safe to do so.

We want to gradually provide advice on how you can increase your freedoms, as we have done for those who are not shielding. We are continually monitoring the virus and as soon as we think it is safe for you to do something, we will update our advice. And as soon as we can provide you with information that will allow you to understand your own risk and make decisions about what is right for you, we will do so.

As we progress through the route map there will increasingly be need that the wider public recognises their role in keeping those shielding safe, in particular in supporting people shielding to regain some normality in their life, just as the wider public have been able to.

The bit in bold sums it up for me, people have to start living...shielding is not a choice most peoole would choole as a long term solution

It will be no surprise I disagree.

Get out to live again and get this virus to lose your life because you're in the most vulnerable groupings.
Even when the Prime Minister is warning of a second wave in ,2 weeks.

I don't see any figures in there of those demanding an end to shielding that currently are.
As to if it's significant enough to warrant a majority.

However I'm clearly not going to get any number it seems.

So I'll take the line, prevention and protection is better than cure, especially when there's no cure for this anyway.
I'll hold to the view for all shielding in my family and any other sick or elderly who asked me, I'd suggest not to throw caution to the wind.
Not at this moment in time.

No point and no need to be risking more sick and elderly lives to be added to the hundreds still dying every week.

Last edited by joeysteele; 29-07-2020 at 04:28 PM.
Old 29-07-2020, 04:33 PM #3204

Today 83 deaths

UK Covid-19 Death Total : 45,961

Additional data:
[Daily number of lab-confirmed UK cases

Number of additional cases on Wednesday 29 July 2020]

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/
Old 29-07-2020, 04:46 PM #3205
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul

today press conference again here in Netherlands, with PM Rutte, and health minister De Jonge

more because of latest new cases increase, people need to be informed again

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Old 29-07-2020, 05:00 PM #3206

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:

Big steps tomorrow.
One of my best friends is coming to visit.
We are both shielding, so much fun on the cards. Not seen each other since February.
No coughing, sneezing or masks.
Hand sanitiser at the ready and no hugging allowed, but well worth it.
We have decided to have family and close friends visit, taking sensible precautions, another big outbreak and we will be back in isolation for heaven knows how long, make hay while the sun shines.
Old 29-07-2020, 05:07 PM #3207
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Heathrow Boss wants passengers to pay
for a Test when the return?

But the Government does not agree with his plan.
No because people can test negative and then be positive a few days later

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 29-07-2020, 05:09 PM #3208
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
It will be no surprise I disagree.

Get out to live again and get this virus to lose your life because you're in the most vulnerable groupings.
Even when the Prime Minister is warning of a second wave in ,2 weeks.

I don't see any figures in there of those demanding an end to shielding that currently are.
As to if it's significant enough to warrant a majority.

However I'm clearly not going to get any number it seems.

So I'll take the line, prevention and protection is better than cure, especially when there's no cure for this anyway.
I'll hold to the view for all shielding in my family and any other sick or elderly who asked me, I'd suggest not to throw caution to the wind.
Not at this moment in time.

No point and no need to be risking more sick and elderly lives to be added to the hundreds still dying every week.
I haven't got any numbers, any more than you have Joey? do you have numbers for those that want to stay at home until a vaccine is found?

Yes you must do what is best for your family of course, but what is best for yours might not be best from someone living alone

was the PM not talking about Europe?

oris Johnson fears a second wave of coronavirus could start within a fortnight.

A senior government source told the Mail the Prime Minister was 'extremely concerned' by outbreaks 'bubbling up', both at home and abroad.

Although the number of UK cases is relatively low, rises were recorded each day last week for the first time since the April peak.

The seven-day average stands at almost 700 – 28 per cent up on three weeks ago.

Ministers have been warning of a potential second wave of the pandemic this winter but now fear it could come sooner.

On a visit to Nottingham yesterday, Mr Johnson said Britons must not drop their guard.

He added: 'The most important thing is for everybody in all communities to heed the advice, to follow the advice, not to be spreading it accidentally and get it right down and we'll be able to ease the restrictions across the country.

'But clearly we now face, I'm afraid, the threat of a second wave in other parts of Europe and we just have to be vigilant.'

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 29-07-2020 at 05:13 PM.
Old 29-07-2020, 05:11 PM #3209
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by smudgie View Post
Big steps tomorrow.
We are both shielding, so much fun on the cards. Not seen each other since February.
We have decided to have family and close friends visit, taking sensible precautions, another big outbreak and we will be back in isolation for heaven knows how long, make hay while the sun shines.
Enjoy Smudge, as you say take your precautions stay apart and sanitise anything she touches after she leaves

Old 29-07-2020, 05:15 PM #3210
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Big steps tomorrow.
enjoy Smudgie!
Old 29-07-2020, 05:18 PM #3211
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

i am happy that Boris appears to be on the ball with this, I support being cautious where necessary. Boris may have alternative motives, who knows, sometimes people do the right things for the wrong reasons
Old 29-07-2020, 05:25 PM #3212
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
i am happy that Boris appears to be on the ball with this, I support being cautious where necessary. Boris may have alternative motives, who knows, sometimes people do the right things for the wrong reasons
They are looking at Germany, Belgium, Croatia and Luxembourg now so the travel advice could be change for them next

Old 29-07-2020, 05:49 PM #3213
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

i think Belgium is the main one, the rest will be quick to get things back under control
Old 29-07-2020, 05:53 PM #3214
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
i think Belgium is the main one, the rest will be quick to get things back under control
also not sure Nicola would have gone along with Spain if it were political, they had only just lifted the ban, I think there are some dodgy numbers in there that have only just come to light

Old 29-07-2020, 06:02 PM #3215
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I haven't got any numbers, any more than you have Joey? do you have numbers for those that want to stay at home until a vaccine is found?

Yes you must do what is best for your family of course, but what is best for yours might not be best from someone living alone

was the PM not talking about Europe?

oris Johnson fears a second wave of coronavirus could start within a fortnight.

A senior government source told the Mail the Prime Minister was 'extremely concerned' by outbreaks 'bubbling up', both at home and abroad.

Although the number of UK cases is relatively low, rises were recorded each day last week for the first time since the April peak.

The seven-day average stands at almost 700 – 28 per cent up on three weeks ago.

Ministers have been warning of a potential second wave of the pandemic this winter but now fear it could come sooner.

On a visit to Nottingham yesterday, Mr Johnson said Britons must not drop their guard.

He added: 'The most important thing is for everybody in all communities to heed the advice, to follow the advice, not to be spreading it accidentally and get it right down and we'll be able to ease the restrictions across the country.

'But clearly we now face, I'm afraid, the threat of a second wave in other parts of Europe and we just have to be vigilant.'

No,and I'm not claiming to.

I believe just my view, that I think, taking on board the views of my family..
Of course we have lost people to this virus, so our feelings will be stronger as being protective.

However I've never claimed to have any numbers..
It was yourself who said, significant numbers wanted the relaxation of shielding despite the dangers still.
Significant would indicate major numbers of importance.

I doubt that would be the case myself.

Everything else however that you've said in your response above.
Just leaves me thinking, if all that is so and comes to be.
The second wave, the rises in numbers continuing..
The time frame, not Winter now but around 2 weeks.
Then it's less understandable to open up the more vulnerably sick and elderly to greater risk by stopping the aid and stopping the shielding instruction.

Obviously and as you indicate, people will do what they think best for them.
However, with the advice/ instruction from those in government with all the information, to now take away the protective shielding from even those who want it.
I think that dangerous for those sick and elderly.

In my view extremely so possibly too.
I'd even add unnecessarily reckless too.

Whether Johnson was talking about Europe or not, this is where we were heading before the last lockdown.
Just waiting for it all to reach and infect here.

Surely he doesn't want to open the door to accusations of him hanging about to play catch up again.
I'd really hope not anyway.
Old 29-07-2020, 06:05 PM #3216
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
also not sure Nicola would have gone along with Spain if it were political, they had only just lifted the ban, I think there are some dodgy numbers in there that have only just come to light
spains figures have been manipulated for ages, This is one reason these league tables are complete rubbish
Old 29-07-2020, 06:59 PM #3217
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Big steps tomorrow.
I really do hope you have a great time smudgie.
Please keep safe.
Old 29-07-2020, 07:22 PM #3218
You know my methods

You know my methods

The hysteria is as bad as before

Utter madness
Old 29-07-2020, 08:06 PM #3219

Favourites (more):
BBUSA20: Kaitlyn
BBUSA19: Jessica

Favourites (more):
BBUSA20: Kaitlyn
BBUSA19: Jessica

Plenty of countries around Europe are doing fewer foreign holidays this summer, so I don't know why so many apparently rushed off from this country.

We already imported some of the virus from Europe anyway. While Portugal and Spain may miss the money they should consider people's lives. They were worried about getting the virus back when their cases went down and now they are happy to send it off when their virus cases are up. It's almost like foreign lives don't matter.

Greats of Big Brother

BBAU9 Estelle [avatar]
BBAU8 Brigitte
BBAU7 Aleisha
BBUS 13 Rachel
BBUK11 - Sunshine
BBUK10 - Marcus
BBUK9 - Stephanie
BBUK7 - Jennie
BBUK6 - Sam
BBUK5 - Victor
BBUK4 - Nush
BBUK3- Jonny (only saw last two weeks)
Old 29-07-2020, 08:50 PM #3220

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I really do hope you have a great time smudgie.
Please keep safe.
Thanks Joey.
We will, it is very difficult for a lot of people, the best we can do is keep an eye on local figures, be very selective in who visits, and make the best of it.
Old 30-07-2020, 01:23 AM #3221

Old 30-07-2020, 01:24 AM #3222

Old 30-07-2020, 01:25 AM #3223

Old 30-07-2020, 01:26 AM #3224

Old 30-07-2020, 01:33 AM #3225
I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom

I Cant Breathe

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Tom

A McDonald's not far from me was closed down after 10 of its workers tested positive

Spoiler:

[/CENTER]

Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
5pm, coronavirus, downing, minister, outbreak, prime, st, statement, today