Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 11:07 AM #3651
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
so you're basically one of those who think covid is fake news or a joke?

that the press is making all of this up?
It's mainly an anti-pubgoer conspiracy Nicky, designed to replace good old fashioned British values with a new world order. We don't want the "new normal" though, we were happy with good old fashioned bog standard normal dammit, and that's what the politicians JUST don't UNDERSTAND.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:13 AM #3652
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
It's mainly an anti-pubgoer conspiracy Nicky, designed to replace good old fashioned British values with a new world order. We don't want the "new normal" though, we were happy with good old fashioned bog standard normal dammit, and that's what the politicians JUST don't UNDERSTAND.
are you going for the record of how many times you can mention disgusting pubs when out of thousands a couple have been closed due to incidents? You are obsessed ... it's not healthy
Old 09-08-2020, 11:17 AM #3653
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
are you going for the record of how many times you can mention disgusting pubs when out of thousands a couple have been closed due to incidents? You are obsessed ... it's not healthy
Healthier than catching Covid at the pub
Old 09-08-2020, 12:36 PM #3654

Favourites (more):
CBB 11: Speidi
BB13: Adam

Favourites (more):
CBB 11: Speidi
BB13: Adam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
What makes me laugh is stay at home on furlough...yes we will listen to the government

Social distance, don’t visit numerous families, stay away from crowds, use you common sense...nah not having that
I don't think Micheal Martin even understands he is taoisech .It is what he wanted all his life..but he fails
Old 09-08-2020, 12:39 PM #3655
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

my mom more has a good laugh at all those protesters/anti-maskers, whom also call themselves ''Viruswaanzin - VirusMadness''

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Old 09-08-2020, 06:44 PM #3656

Today 8 died

Total Covid-19 UK deaths: 46,574

UK New cases 1,062
Old 09-08-2020, 09:42 PM #3657

Old 09-08-2020, 09:53 PM #3658
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
They think the real number is 10x reported, so 55 million cases (17% of population)? And a death rate of under 0.3%? Nah. Wishful thinking tbqfh. Death rate of around 0.8% is much more realistic, which would put total US cases at 20 mil (4x official, not 10x).

It would be great news if the 55 million figure was accurate though.
Old 09-08-2020, 11:54 PM #3659

Old 09-08-2020, 11:56 PM #3660

Old 09-08-2020, 11:58 PM #3661

Old 09-08-2020, 11:59 PM #3662

Old 09-08-2020, 11:59 PM #3663

Old 10-08-2020, 03:16 AM #3664
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...so the, we need to get the schools all back fully, even if we have to close everything else to do so..’...isn’t necessarily going to happen, then...?...I mean, it never could have...(...and I’m absolutely on board with schools being fully working again but it has to be safe for everyone...)...most schools couldn’t function to full capacity and on roll children in June and July when the pubs/restaurants etc were closed...so why would September be a month where they could if only we closed everything else down.../...just silly Boris nonsense again...
Old 10-08-2020, 06:51 AM #3665
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

i don't think schools is a one size fits everyone scenario and it never was. Decisions have to be taken locally and local resources don't want to be responsible for those decisions, which I fully understand. That to me is the crux of the issue
Old 10-08-2020, 07:04 AM #3666

Old 10-08-2020, 07:52 AM #3667
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
most schools couldn’t function to full capacity and on roll children in June and July when the pubs/restaurants etc were closed...so why would September be a month where they could if only we closed everything else down.../...just silly Boris nonsense again...
Because rates in the community were so high in June that there was a high risk of children bringing Covid contamination (either asymptomatic themselves or on contaminated items of clothing) into school where it might be passed around and taken home. Transmission rates in the community are now low enough for it to be relatively safe to return to schools and workplaces with precautions. In order for that to continue, we need to keep community infection rates down. Opening up the pubs (now evidently) increases community infection rates and increases the risk of there being Covid in the home, which in turn increases the risk of it being passed around via kids. The risk of it being passed around via kids in a school is still far lower than by intoxicated adults in a bar, and unlike getting intoxicated in a bar, school is a social function of ACTUAL high importance, rather than selfish/imaginary high importance like The Local.

A question for you, Ammi, if you'll indulge a hypothetical:

Let's say schools being open is a given. It's definitely happening, no debate, kids and teachers are going to be there in class interacting.

Would you be more comfortable getting close to Little Timmy if his parents had been at home watching Netflix all weekend... Or if they had left him with a babysitter to go and do the hokey-pokey with 10 mates and 100 strangers at the pub?

I personally feel like the answer here is obvious but I'm repeatedly being told that it isn't.
Old 10-08-2020, 07:59 AM #3668
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

we should always get back to basics. Everything is safe if there is adequate social distancing. To me the issue is that the government have caved much too quickly on reducing that requirement in both travel and hospitality and even schools. We can't get away from the simple fact that social distancing is the single most important factor and excuses and waivers around that should be what people are complaining about.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:46 AM #3669
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Because rates in the community were so high in June that there was a high risk of children bringing Covid contamination (either asymptomatic themselves or on contaminated items of clothing) into school where it might be passed around and taken home. Transmission rates in the community are now low enough for it to be relatively safe to return to schools and workplaces with precautions. In order for that to continue, we need to keep community infection rates down. Opening up the pubs (now evidently) increases community infection rates and increases the risk of there being Covid in the home, which in turn increases the risk of it being passed around via kids. The risk of it being passed around via kids in a school is still far lower than by intoxicated adults in a bar, and unlike getting intoxicated in a bar, school is a social function of ACTUAL high importance, rather than selfish/imaginary high importance like The Local.

A question for you, Ammi, if you'll indulge a hypothetical:

Let's say schools being open is a given. It's definitely happening, no debate, kids and teachers are going to be there in class interacting.

Would you be more comfortable getting close to Little Timmy if his parents had been at home watching Netflix all weekend... Or if they had left him with a babysitter to go and do the hokey-pokey with 10 mates and 100 strangers at the pub?

I personally feel like the answer here is obvious but I'm repeatedly being told that it isn't.
...because the answer isn’t ‘obvious’...well I don’t think that my answer would be as obvious as you feel it would be for you...I’ve been close to Little Timmy thoughout while both of his parents were on a medical front line team and in contact with the virus daily...there is no way that you could feel ‘less comfortable’ than that, than that direct contact...and I don’t know which Little Timmy’s have been to the pub themselves or have been to a park and had any contact or have been to a beach or etc...?..I can’t think like that, how could I think like that...I would probably be unable to do my job if I did...Little Timmy is there, right in my face...I don’t know what contact he’s had/his parents have had/his siblings have had etc...But what I do know..?..is that I want to feel more safe than I did toward the end of term when many parents became less careful with safety as they became used to ‘a normal school day’ again...and in the classrooms when we’re unable to get outside, I’d like to wear a mask ...but that Just is t possible...
Old 10-08-2020, 08:46 AM #3670
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Indoor soft play areas open in Wales today, if they can open, schools can too

Headteachers have had a lot of time now to think about how they will proceed, temp checks on the way in, regular hand washing, being innovative at playtime, time to get on board with children going back now

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 10-08-2020 at 08:46 AM.
Old 10-08-2020, 08:49 AM #3671
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...because the answer isn’t ‘obvious’...well I don’t think that my answer would be as obvious as you feel it would be for you...I’ve been close to Little Timmy thoughout while both of his parents were on a medical front line team and in contact with the virus daily...there is no way that you could feel ‘less comfortable’ than that, than that direct contact...and I don’t know which Little Timmy’s have been to the pub themselves or have been to a park and had any contact or have been to a beach or etc...?..I can’t think like that, how could I think like that...I would probably be unable to do my job if I did...Little Timmy is there, right in my face...I don’t know what contact he’s had/his parents have had/his siblings have had etc...But what I do know..?..is that I want to feel more safe than I did toward the end of term when many parents became less careful with safety as they became used to ‘a normal school day’ again...and in the classrooms when we’re unable to get outside, I’d like to wear a mask ...but that Just is t possible...
Why is that not possible though, teachers could wear visors, and so could the kids in all honesty, most would probably welcome the novelty value for a while at at any rate? is there a 'no mask' rule in place, if there is it should be reconsidered especially in winter when 'wet play' is more prevalent

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 10-08-2020 at 09:04 AM.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:19 AM #3672

I got my second covid test yesterday, it was brutal, the swab ended up bloody. I've been ill for over a week now, loads of symptoms. Did my first test last Monday but it was negative, the virus has a long incubation period so they tested me again.
Old 10-08-2020, 09:28 AM #3673
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Take care
Old 10-08-2020, 09:31 AM #3674
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica. View Post
I got my second covid test yesterday, it was brutal, the swab ended up bloody. I've been ill for over a week now, loads of symptoms. Did my first test last Monday but it was negative, the virus has a long incubation period so they tested me again.
Well hopefully the results of the second test turn out to be good news like the first test was.

KRO!
Old 10-08-2020, 09:32 AM #3675
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Why is that not possible though, teachers could wear visors, and so could the kids in all honesty, most would probably welcome the novelty value for a while at at any rate? is there a 'no mask' rule in place, if there is it should be reconsidered especially in winter when 'wet play' is more prevalent

I think the reasons for not having masks are pretty flimsy to be honest, they're not based on much more than "a feeling". I understand it for young children who A) wouldn't reliably wear one (properly) themselves and B) Don't really understand the situation which complicates things.

But for older kids at say 8 or 9+ I can see absolutely no reason at all stopping both kids and teachers wearing masks. Like I said, the reasoning against it is a bit flimsy. Older kids understand what they're for, are used to seeing them, and in my experience will wear them quite happily.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 10-08-2020 at 09:32 AM.
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
5pm, coronavirus, downing, minister, outbreak, prime, st, statement, today