Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 07-09-2020, 09:29 AM #4401
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

kids may have to stick within bubbles while they are at school, but, kids will be kids, and they will interact with multiple groups outside of school, they always have and they always will, so the bubble concept is fatally flawed. It never ceases to surprise me how stupid these rule makers are
Old 07-09-2020, 09:50 AM #4402
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
kids may have to stick within bubbles while they are at school, but, kids will be kids, and they will interact with multiple groups outside of school, they always have and they always will, so the bubble concept is fatally flawed. It never ceases to surprise me how stupid these rule makers are
It gets even more bizarre when you consider sibling links within a school. My daughter is in P7, of her friends in her class (each class is a "bubble"), I know of kids with siblings in P1, 3, 4 and 5 at the very least. So yes they're in a school bubble, not allowed to interact with the other year groups at school, but they're living with people in other bubbles, which effectively makes it all one big bubble .

To further complicate that you have situations like my own; the school in our village doesn't have an ASD provision, so my youngest attends a completely different school in the area, about 15 minutes away. It's within another mainstream primary school (actually a bigger one than my eldest attends). It really puts a tonne of holes in the primary school class bubble concept. If my daughter's friend's little sister is in a class that has to isolate... but she lives with another kid... who is in my daughters class... who lives with her sister who is at another school... etc.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 07-09-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:56 AM #4403
You know my methods

You know my methods

Old 07-09-2020, 10:12 AM #4404
-

-

I don't claim to know which stat is or isn't most important (at a guess, I would say hospital admissions primarily) but I do definitely find it ... "interesting" ... that for months (and months) we were constantly told by All News Media that deaths was the "important stat" and it was the one on all of the front pages, no one really bothered about any other figure, just that big ol' scary deaths-per-day bell tolling in the afternoon... but now that deaths per day are relatively low it's the "bigger, scarier" new cases number that All News Media is hyper-focussed on. One suspects that it's mainly for that reason; easier to sensationalise a larger number and they have to keep the news "thrilling" (scare people) for the views & clicks.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:20 AM #4405

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Sharon Osbourne
BB2023: Yinrun

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Sharon Osbourne
BB2023: Yinrun

I tell you what is a strange experience. Go on the link in the op on the first page of this to see the old coronavirus thread and read the first 10 pages of when this all started. The time it took to escalate was so scary looking back! Also look at how much of a meltdown the country went to when there were just 3 positive cases, now we have almost 3000 daily cases and that isnt a big number...apparently

Also remember the 1 death we had and everything went into chaos and people were stockpiling pasta and toilet rolls. Now we get at least 10 daily deaths. That also is now a low number...
Old 07-09-2020, 10:35 AM #4406
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strictly Jake View Post
I tell you what is a strange experience. Go on the link in the op on the first page of this to see the old coronavirus thread and read the first 10 pages of when this all started. The time it took to escalate was so scary looking back! Also look at how much of a meltdown the country went to when there were just 3 positive cases, now we have almost 3000 daily cases and that isnt a big number...apparently
To be fair (and I know it often doesn't feel like this) - I think this is because the virus itself isn't as severe as many people were concerned it might be. There was so much uncertainty back then about this being some sort of world-ending apocalyptic virus, so many unknowns, so much conflicting information and numbers coming from all over the place, that a bit of panic was inevitable. Despite everything still being very up in the air in terms of where it's going, we DO know certain things such as; the death rate is around 0.7%, deaths are massively skewed to the very elderly and people with other complex underlying conditions, and the medical profession is making constant advances in the best treatment strategies to reduce mortality. The death toll has been awful, the social and economic effects have been awful, but even at it's absolute worst we know it's not apocalyptic, that most people are asymptomatic, and that most others recover. There are still scare stories around but that's how things stand overall.

Back in the early days we had no idea about those things and it was widely believed that all or most cases were severe and horrendous, and that the death rate might be as high as 10 - 20%.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 07-09-2020 at 10:36 AM.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:38 AM #4407
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strictly Jake View Post
people were stockpiling pasta and toilet rolls
That part was always crazy. Really fascinating stuff, from a sociology viewpoint. Especially the toilet rolls. Irrationality gone viral.
Old 07-09-2020, 11:27 AM #4408
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I don't claim to know which stat is or isn't most important (at a guess, I would say hospital admissions primarily) but I do definitely find it ... "interesting" ... that for months (and months) we were constantly told by All News Media that deaths was the "important stat" and it was the one on all of the front pages, no one really bothered about any other figure, just that big ol' scary deaths-per-day bell tolling in the afternoon... but now that deaths per day are relatively low it's the "bigger, scarier" new cases number that All News Media is hyper-focussed on. One suspects that it's mainly for that reason; easier to sensationalise a larger number and they have to keep the news "thrilling" (scare people) for the views & clicks.
yeah this is what i'm inclined to think to. If the death rate starts going up markedly then there is cause for concern, but media shouldn't be creating scaremongering news when it's not appropriate. We all know they have to make money (except the bbc) but they have a public responsibility in this pandemic, and right from the start they have not been responsible in what they have published
Old 07-09-2020, 11:46 AM #4409

You Bleedin' Trouble Maker
Old 07-09-2020, 02:19 PM #4410
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...I’ve just had a WhatsApp conversation with friends about this...one school is in my local area and the other in the neighbouring county of Norfolk...both counties which apparently have low cases, so many testing centres have been closed down as the government deemed them not needed...this government is just the most chaotic and that’s one of its best days...on its worst, well...

Two schools close after teachers test positive for coronavirus just days after reopening...

Two schools have closed after teaching staff tested positive for coronavirus within days of reopening.

Last week, there were queues at the gates as schools reopened across the UK.

Samuel Ward Academy in Haverhill, Suffolk, closed on Monday for a deep clean after five teachers tested positive for COVID-19, while another two are waiting for their test results.

And Old Buckenham High School near Attleborough, Norfolk, was also closed on Monday for a deep clean after a member of staff tested positive for coronavirus.

Samuel Ward Academy reopened to some pupils last Thursday and many more from other year groups were due to return on Monday.

In a statement, the school said the closure was a “precautionary measure” and that it hoped to reopen on Tuesday.

...full article...

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/school-clo...095707690.html

Last edited by Ammi; 07-09-2020 at 02:20 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:21 PM #4411

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...I’ve just had a WhatsApp conversation with friends about this...one school is in my local area and the other in the neighbouring county of Norfolk...both counties which apparently have low cases, so many testing centres have been closed down as the government deemed them not needed...this government is just the most chaotic and that’s one of its best days...on its worst, well...

Two schools close after teachers test positive for coronavirus just days after reopening...

Two schools have closed after teaching staff tested positive for coronavirus within days of reopening.

Last week, there were queues at the gates as schools reopened across the UK.

Samuel Ward Academy in Haverhill, Suffolk, closed on Monday for a deep clean after five teachers tested positive for COVID-19, while another two are waiting for their test results.

And Old Buckenham High School near Attleborough, Norfolk, was also closed on Monday for a deep clean after a member of staff tested positive for coronavirus.

Samuel Ward Academy reopened to some pupils last Thursday and many more from other year groups were due to return on Monday.

In a statement, the school said the closure was a “precautionary measure” and that it hoped to reopen on Tuesday.

...full article...

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/school-clo...095707690.html
I feel so bad for all kids and staff having to work during this mess.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:52 PM #4412
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica. View Post
I feel so bad for all kids and staff having to work during this mess.
...Gin is the answer I think, Jess...(...apparently...)...adults only though, obviously...
Old 07-09-2020, 02:58 PM #4413
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

there was always going to be an increase in cases when schools went back. The chief medical officer stated that we were at the threshold before they even opened. The thing is that schools opening is producing so many cases it's dwarfing everything else so, how can they consider shutting down other areas to keep schools open ... it isn't logical. Do people really think the schools will remain open until christmas? I don't
Old 07-09-2020, 02:59 PM #4414
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Coronavirus latest news live: Shapps making travel statement - as daily death figures released...

...15:29pm - I call the government chaotic at best....15:51 - Shadow transport secretary criticises 'chaotic' government approach...BB is watching us...

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavir...demic-12056786
Old 07-09-2020, 03:07 PM #4415
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
there was always going to be an increase in cases when schools went back. The chief medical officer stated that we were at the threshold before they even opened. The thing is that schools opening is producing so many cases it's dwarfing everything else so, how can they consider shutting down other areas to keep schools open ... it isn't logical. Do people really think the schools will remain open until christmas? I don't
...for me, it’s not so much the increased cases with the schools going back because them going back is something that needed to happen...it’s more, being prepared as much as possible with the testing because they’re going back/as is industry etc...I mean, if you have a county like ours for instance, that has low infection cases..?...then everything in place is contributing to that low count..?...so the only logical thing is to continue with all testing centre open etc.../ ...most primary school children themselves could work that out easily if posed with the debate...but what do our government do...?...they close down centres in areas where they’re obviously contributing and essential to keep open as well...it’s like saying...the masks are working guys and keeping infection figures low...so let’s all take them off or only wear them when we feel like it...
Old 07-09-2020, 03:12 PM #4416
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...for me, it’s not so much the increased cases with the schools going back because them going back is something that needed to happen...it’s more, being prepared as much as possible with the testing because they’re going back/as is industry etc...I mean, if you have a county like ours for instance, that has low infection cases..?...then everything in place is contributing to that low count..?...so the only logical thing is to continue with all testing centre open etc.../ ...most primary school children themselves could work that out easily if posed with the debate...but what do our government do...?...they close down centres in areas where they’re obviously contributing and essential to keep open as well...it’s like saying...the masks are working guys and keeping infection figures low...so let’s all take them off or only wear them when we feel like it...
we are mimicking the american issue. As cases rose there, they shut down testing centres too. It doesn't make sense to me at all ... test and trace was the proven strategy. I hope its not to keep the number of reported cases down
Old 07-09-2020, 03:15 PM #4417
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
we are mimicking the american issue. As cases rose there, they shut down testing centres too. It doesn't make sense to me at all ... test and trace was the proven strategy. I hope its not to keep the number of reported cases down
...yeah, it’s going very well in the USA, I hear...
Old 07-09-2020, 03:16 PM #4418

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith
Love Island 6: Paige

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith
Love Island 6: Paige

I'm back in college in a couple of weeks
Old 07-09-2020, 03:16 PM #4419
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Hundreds told to self-isolate after dozens catch coronavirus at charity football game...

Hundreds of people in England have been asked to self-isolate after attending a charity football match to prevent potential spread of coronavirus.

Up to 300 attendees of the game, which took place on the border of Sunderland and Durham near Houghton-le-Spring on 30 August, have been asked to quarantine themselves until 14 days after it took place.

The move came after 28 people who went to the match at the Burnside Working Men’s Club tested positive for COVID-19.

...full article...

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/coronaviru...130254407.html
Old 07-09-2020, 03:21 PM #4420
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewismacfarlane View Post
I'm back in college in a couple of weeks
...you’ll be fine, Lewis......just mask up and social distance etc as much as you’re able to...all we hear on the media is the schools/colleges etc that have had cases and maybe leading to closures...?....but so, so, so many schools with no cases at all...much more that we don’t hear about than we do.../...and that’s a good thing......
Old 07-09-2020, 03:51 PM #4421

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

I would say 85 percent of the population have had it or have it.
Old 07-09-2020, 03:54 PM #4422
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
I would say 85 percent of the population have had it or have it.
the last time i looked i believe it was estimated to be about 5% of the population that's had it, and it hasn't changed much since then.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:16 PM #4423
-

-

Quote:
The schools in England haven't been back long enough for new cases to be because of schools opening, also, the proportionate rises (and timing of the increase) in Scotland and England are the same despite Scottish schools going back 3 weeks ago. The issue is not schools.
Old 07-09-2020, 04:25 PM #4424

Quote:
The schools in England haven't been back long enough for new cases to be because of schools .

I was thinking that... but now they’re saying you can be tested positive after just two days of initial contact .. many uk pupils returned to school last Wednesday ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 07-09-2020, 05:34 PM #4425
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
The schools in England haven't been back long enough for new cases to be because of schools opening, also, the proportionate rises (and timing of the increase) in Scotland and England are the same despite Scottish schools going back 3 weeks ago. The issue is not schools.
yes they could, but it will likely get a lot worse
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
5pm, coronavirus, downing, minister, outbreak, prime, st, statement, today