Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 24-09-2020, 01:48 PM #26
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post

anyway I think girls can be just as gruesome when they get into a gang
I think it's generally far less common and far FAR less likely to progress past "just talk" ... though I have known a few, err, "characters" in my time who were to be frank just wild to a bewlindering extent.

You also can't ignore that there simply are different implications in level of threat. A housemate of mine had a girl who became utterly obsessed with him at Uni, progressed to her contacting him quite relentlessly, and at the peak, her turning up at our house at 2am banging on his window (he was ground floor) demanding to be let in. He wasn't even there . But yeah she was a tiny 20 year old girl and it was just a really quite sad situation, we called her friends to come get her. But if you flip that situation... and there's a guy harassing a girl... and he turns up banging the windows of an all-girls house at 2am... that IS a very different situation and I think trying to make the two the same creates a bit of a false equivalency. Realistically, males are not at any particular REAL physical risk from a group of drunk 18 year old girls. Females are (evidently) often at very real risk from groups of drunk young men.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 01:53 PM #27
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
not conspire to seduce girls and humiliate them based on their lack of wealth and class privilege
I think that's the thing though, it depends if it was a real plan or a bunch of knob-heads trying to "shock humour" each other. I personally wasn't like that in my late teens / early 20's, but I knew plenty of people who were saying that sort of stuff and it wasn't in a million years with the intention of actually doing it. They just thought they were being funny. They weren't, but they thought they were. Also I'd say that, yes, by the end of University most of them HAD grown up without a lot of prompting. University is just like that to be honest. You feel so grown up starting, then you get to the end of your final year and see the new freshers coming in and it's abundantly obvious that they're just kids.
Old 24-09-2020, 02:03 PM #28
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...the thing is, when we talk about bathroom spaces and safety for females etc...we talk about females feeling their safety possibly threatened because males are the physically stronger...so something of that vein, written by males as it was...wouldn’t really equate exactly to a female fresher having written it...but she didn’t, though....we don’t really hear many stories of an equal thing but reversed to females have it said...it should be taken very seriously because it would have a threatening feeling to a female student...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 02:05 PM #29
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

I hate all this 18yr olds are kids stuff... if you are intelligent enough to go to uni you are intelligent enough to know that talking like this is wrong.

Nobody is suggesting that you are fully rounded at 18 and you won't make mistakes, be irrational or even sensible, but this is really base. . I would be devastated as a parent if my son thought in this way I wouldn't suggest that his age prompted those comments.
They are driven less by libedo and more by privilege, it was totally right for the university to expect better from their students.
Old 24-09-2020, 02:06 PM #30
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I suppose if you wanted to look for examples of this kind of banter spilling over into real life you only have to look at that case in NI involving those Rugby players

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 02:10 PM #31
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

it's the equivalent of trumps famous "locker room banter" really, it's always going to offend some while others don't care
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 02:12 PM #32
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
I suppose if you wanted to look for examples of this kind of banter spilling over into real life you only have to look at that case in NI involving those Rugby players
...that’s exactly the case I was thinking about earlier, actually...it’s something that sadly can become a ‘mindset’ and then lead and lead...the ‘impress mates’ or follow the words and actions of a group can be something that’s continued...and it wouldn’t be something that a uni would want to be attached to...if anything had happened and they’d known.../...seen what was said and then actions followed ...
Old 24-09-2020, 02:14 PM #33

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Rats.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 02:15 PM #34
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

I think they are probably mature but it’s just lads being lads. But young people are exposed to so much sexual stuff these days and most of it is not censored it’s easy for people to see sex as anything goes.
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 02:17 PM #35
another vice

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Louis Walsh
BB2023: Jordan
another vice

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Louis Walsh
BB2023: Jordan

Removing him??? Waaaaay an overreaction. People should be allowed to say whatever they want in private. He didn't make any threats, sure there might have been some gross comments in there but they took it too far... it's literally letters on a screen
caprimint is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 02:18 PM #36
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
I hate all this 18yr olds are kids stuff... if you are intelligent enough to go to uni you are intelligent enough to know that talking like this is wrong.

Nobody is suggesting that you are fully rounded at 18 and you won't make mistakes, be irrational or even sensible, but this is really base. . I would be devastated as a parent if my son thought in this way I wouldn't suggest that his age prompted those comments.
They are driven less by libedo and more by privilege, it was totally right for the university to expect better from their students.
18 year olds are kids. Again it's not about making excuses, but I think we"re treading dangerous ground if we're not willing to give people that age a chance to learn and change. If they're showing no indication of having a desire to or being able to do that, that's another matter.
Old 24-09-2020, 02:18 PM #37
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
it's the equivalent of trumps famous "locker room banter" really, it's always going to offend some while others don't care
Yes, great example 'locker room' banter breeds men like Trump that suggest it's OK to 'grab women by the pussy' and are accused of rape.. just like Trump.
Old 24-09-2020, 02:21 PM #38
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprimint View Post
Removing him??? Waaaaay an overreaction. People should be allowed to say whatever they want in private. He didn't make any threats, sure there might have been some gross comments in there but they took it too far... it's literally letters on a screen
Weeeell we don't know that there weren't any threats. Given that there were a few of them doing it and only one had his place removed, I think it's a safe-ish bet that that one did wander into the territory of actual threats/talk of force.

I also don't think having an offer of a place taken away is as severe as being removed from a course that has started. From what I can tell these guys haven't even started at the University yet so it's not like they've invested their time in a course there yet, and any tuition fees etc will be refunded if the course hasn't started.
Old 24-09-2020, 02:25 PM #39
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...o mean, we’re discussing it obviously because that’s what we do, a section like this would be pointless if we didn’t...but we don't know what the screenshots said that the uni based their decision on...and because he hadn’t started yet, they had nothing to balance his character on in terms of time spent there as a student...
Old 24-09-2020, 02:26 PM #40
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
18 year olds are kids. Again it's not about making excuses, but I think we"re treading dangerous ground if we're not willing to give people that age a chance to learn and change. If they're showing no indication of having a desire to or being able to do that, that's another matter.
No they are not. They are legally adults, is counterproductive to infantilise students. Personally I think we're treading a more dangerous ground it we don't highlight clearly enough that views such as those expressed in those conversations are unacceptable.

There is no grey area, if you can't see that at 18 being old enough to work, study and live independently you don't belong in a university setting.
Old 24-09-2020, 02:30 PM #41
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...o mean, we’re discussing it obviously because that’s what we do, a section like this would be pointless if we didn’t...but we don't know what the screenshots said that the uni based their decision on...and because he hadn’t started yet, they had nothing to balance his character on in terms of time spent there as a student...
I think that's the crux of it really, saying "We no longer want you to come here" is very different to being expelled, which would be a much longer disciplinary process with various checks and balances. Legally they would have to have good reason to expel. It's just the same as with employment really; if someone hasn't started a new job yet, the employer can withdraw the offer. If they're already in employment, firing them isn't a simple process.

A few people were removed from my wife's course during her time there, for reasons far worse than this and even then its a process that takes 3+ months.
Old 24-09-2020, 02:31 PM #42
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Dont unis do that ‘talk’ for freshers about respect or was that one off? Uni are about about making money now, it was easier to offload him than to educate him

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 02:31 PM #43
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
No they are not. They are legally adults, is counterproductive to infantilise students. Personally I think we're treading a more dangerous ground it we don't highlight clearly enough that views such as those expressed in those conversations are unacceptable.

There is no grey area, if you can't see that at 18 being old enough to work, study and live independently you don't belong in a university setting.
Of course there's a "grey area", the idea that there's a switch that gets flipped on a certain date that turns a child into an adult is illogical and ridiculous. "Happy 18th Birthday, you're an adult now!!" is the dangerous ground.
Old 24-09-2020, 02:31 PM #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Trump's was less locker room banter and more rape talk.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 02:33 PM #45
You know my methods

You know my methods

how would they be able to tell who was the poorest girl without detailed financial history?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 02:34 PM #46
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I think that's the crux of it really, saying "We no longer want you to come here" is very different to being expelled, which would be a much longer disciplinary process with various checks and balances. Legally they would have to have good reason to expel. It's just the same as with employment really; if someone hasn't started a new job yet, the employer can withdraw the offer. If they're already in employment, firing them isn't a simple process.

A few people were removed from my wife's course during her time there, for reasons far worse than this and even then its a process that takes 3+ months.
...I know Durham Uni, it was my ‘local’ as a child growing up...it’s an excellent uni, one of the top ones globally...and it’s quite a privilege to get a place...you really wouldn’t want to risk ‘messing it up’ if you had...
Old 24-09-2020, 02:35 PM #47
thesheriff443

thesheriff443

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
how would they be able to tell who was the poorest girl without detailed financial history?
The one wearing news paper knickers I guess
thesheriff443 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 02:35 PM #48
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I know right, what was the criteria, just show immaturity

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 24-09-2020, 02:38 PM #49
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
I doubt living in halls was going to teach him not to treat women like disposable objects or treat people less well off with respect
Of course it could if he came against someone who is willing to challenge his views, halls have a mixture of age groups and genders

Old 24-09-2020, 02:40 PM #50

Quote:
Not the posh boys thinking the poor would come in covered in soot and wearing rags.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
discussing, durham, expelled, freshers, girl’, group, sex, ‘lads’, ‘poorest