Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 24-09-2020, 05:13 PM #76
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
It wasn't social media posts it was WhatsApp messages (which means someone within the group, or someone with access to one of their phones, shared it with the Uni). They can't reveal things that weren't originally posted publicly I imagine, but they probably should outline the reason, again given that not all involved faced the same punishment, so there should be more clarity on what constituted "crossing the line".
i meant things like whatsapp and messenger

all the things the average person would be horrified if publically shown (and i dont think this should have led to punishment as it was private - or is there some small print in whatsapp that says it isnt?)
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 05:15 PM #77
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

"As a result of this investigation, which was conducted under the University's Admissions Policy, one male who was due to begin studying at Durham University next month has, in accordance with the terms of their offer, had their offer withdrawn.

...I would presume that all who would have been given places, would have been given a copy of the Admissions Policy or linked to where to find../..read it on their website...(...and any other relevant policies and student/uni agreements....)...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 05:18 PM #78
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

there was also stuff related to fraudulent activities that included people who were not students and details have been passed to the police, so it's more than just banter
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 05:19 PM #79
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
i meant things like whatsapp and messenger

all the things the average person would be horrified if publically shown (and i dont think this should have led to punishment as it was private - or is there some small print in whatsapp that says it isnt?)
There's no guarantee of privacy with a messaging app - you send a message to someone, they can show it to others - it's not like WhatsApp themselves forwarded the messages to the Uni. Most likely scenario is that one of the people in the group was uncomfortable with the stuff being said and showed it to someone. The Uni can then act on the content of the messages - but they can't make the messages themselves public.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 05:21 PM #80
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
there was also stuff related to fraudulent activities that included people who were not students and details have been passed to the police, so it's more than just banter
Uni T&C's usually include clauses of not being involved in any criminal activity, so that is most likely the reason the offer was withdrawn.
Old 24-09-2020, 05:31 PM #81
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Quote:
See here we have a prime example - we could just ban Oliver for his nonsense but we don't, we accept that he's just doing "immature internet stuff" and let him know that it isn't funny or edgy and gradually he does it less and less. If we banned him he'd be off in a 4chan echo chambre getting a tonne of positive reinforcement for comments like this. We all know that he'll turn out alright in the end so we keep him around.

To be fair I've been a good boy for absolutely ages! (Angelface) and I'd never go to 4chan!!

But while I said it in a bad way, lad culture is like that tbh. But to liken it to rape culture is a bit barmy, campuses aren't a caliphate or Hollywood...

Oliver_W is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 05:40 PM #82
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post

But while I said it in a bad way, lad culture is like that tbh. But to liken it to rape culture is a bit barmy, campuses aren't a caliphate or Hollywood...
Lad culture is like that but that doesn't mean it isn't toxic; I was never particularly "laddish" myself but I did certainly know people that fell firmly in that category. One of my housemates had friends from his course who were definitely "laddish" and I couldn't ****ing stand them. But again they were all talk, yukking it up about "finding a fat girl to play rodeo with" and "**** a fresher week" but - like I said earlier - in reality I'd be surprised if they hooked up with one girl for each YEAR they were students, let alone "a new girl every night".

BUT - and it is a big "but" - the rhetoric isn't harmless either and the objectification and "jokes" do, on occasion, end up leading to more serious things (like harrassment, unwanted sexual advances, sexual assault). It doesn't usually or even often but it can, and that's a good enough reason to call it out. There's a similar thing on online forums whereangry blokes are sharing stories of "following women home", "deliberately trying to make women uncomfortable" and getting off on it etc... the VAST majority of the stories are pure fantasy, but there will nonetheless be the small number who "take inspiration" and actually do something.
Old 24-09-2020, 05:48 PM #83
You know my methods

You know my methods

Cool

I ripped off 10 car aerials and planted then in my garden in my fresher week

disgusting thing to do and i regret it but i was lashed and showing off

I also pissed on the 18th green at St Andrews, broke someones nose in the union who said Jack Nicholas was a fat yank amongst a whole load of criminal stuff that year that inevitably ended in the courts much to my parents shame and it fecked up jobs going forward.

And tbh i was a quiet wee boy at the time who never spoke to a girl in my whole first year

now i am a pillar of the community so i hope that lad learns his lessson, i did

(I have told the tale that on my way to court i fell asleep in the car and my dad stopped in a laybye and knocked 7 bells of sh1te of me as it was serious and he thought i was taking the p1ss. great to arrive in court looking like i had gone 4 rounds with Tyson)
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 06:04 PM #84
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
It's a good thing I didn't at any point say it's acceptable then, isn't it?

Nothing to do with cognitive competence, it's about maturity and naivity, which we have to excuse in the young to some extent or we're going down a very dodgy path. Young people talk out of their arses, they try to be edgy, they think it's funny, they encourage each other... I think it's really scraping the sociological barrel to start tarring people for life at 18 "because they were adults who should have known better".

Again I haven't even said it was the wrong decision; they removed the offer from ONE of a group of people who were all involved in these conversations, which suggests that the one who was denied entry "took it to another level" in some way that hasn't been specified. They HAVEN'T removed the offers of all of the people involved, so that suggests that the University understands that it's possible for them to redeem themselves.

See here we have a prime example - we could just ban Oliver for his nonsense but we don't, we accept that he's just doing "immature internet stuff" and let him know that it isn't funny or edgy and gradually he does it less and less. If we banned him he'd be off in a 4chan echo chambre getting a tonne of positive reinforcement for comments like this. We all know that he'll turn out alright in the end so we keep him around.
I'm not here to evaluate forum members....

It has everything to do with cognative competence, self regulation is a key part of that and by 18 to suggest a person has not had to use and hone that skill is ridiculous.

We can excuse some things yes, but not absolve blame for situations that have repercussions in the real world.. no. Which is what happened here. The guy broke the rules for acceptance and therefore must accept that is the reason he must forfeit his place. That is also am integral part of becoming a fully functional adult, accepting that your actions have consequences.
He will apply to another uni or defer he will hopefully take something from the experience, learn and grow from it.
Old 24-09-2020, 06:25 PM #85

I do agree expecting an 18 year old to be a 100% fully matured and responsible and self controllable adult just because they're 18 is naive.

Nobody is an adult overnight.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-09-2020, 07:53 PM #86
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
I do agree expecting an 18 year old to be a 100% fully matured and responsible and self controllable adult just because they're 18 is naive.

Nobody is an adult overnight.
Who said they were?...
Old 24-09-2020, 10:38 PM #87
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
You don't think alot of young women don't do exactly the same thing when they get together
I've literally never been in a group chat with my girl friends only and discussed having sex with a guy based on his wealth
Old 24-09-2020, 10:57 PM #88
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Jade View Post
I've literally never been in a group chat with my girl friends only and discussed having sex with a guy based on his wealth
You're a classy Broad though Amy... Cherie was rough as old bollocks when she was a lass.
Old 24-09-2020, 11:24 PM #89
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
when I went to uni it was fun .... changed days
It's still fun unless you call the things they were discussing fun? and then yes, things are changing..luckily.
Old 24-09-2020, 11:49 PM #90
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Quote:
You're a classy Broad though Amy... Cherie was rough as old bollocks when she was a lass.
Old 25-09-2020, 05:24 AM #91
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

everyone is getting all in a lather and the probability is that he was expelled for something other than the banter, it's much more likely it was because a group were trying to sell tickets fraudulently for non existent student events
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 05:49 AM #92
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...possibly, bots...but I tend to think not, though...mainly because ...(...although that seems to have happened as well with the tickets, I think that a few things were found in the investigations that wouldn’t necessarily be related...)...but mainly because, all of the media that are reporting the story.../...which is basically most of them...are all reporting the same thing as the reason... and if it wasn’t the reason then it would be completely fake news, when it would appear that the university have confirmed the reason to be about the content of the ‘chat’ regarding their female students...the tickets wouldn’t be a one sentence, obscure thing if it were the reason..?...I don’t feel anyway...and it looks as though these investigations and findings of, in terms of media reporting..?..go back quite a few weeks so plenty of time to have corrected and put right, if it wasn’t the main thing as well...

...anyways, just reading little bits from different media articles earlier...only skim reading, type thing...?...obviously lots of chat went on within the group...and some of it seemed to touch on rape../...actually mentioned rape in the context of things could lead to charges of rape in discussing the things they were and the way they were discussing and if they were actually ‘carried out’...thats ‘lads banter’...no, it absolutely isn’t...so we don’t have the whole chat, obviously...but ‘the picture’ seems to be widening in terms of why the decision as it was...

Last edited by Ammi; 25-09-2020 at 05:53 AM.
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 06:35 AM #93
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Jade View Post
It’s not something that regularly happens on anyone’s WhatsApp groups but it’s a bit naive to say because it doesn’t happen on yours it doesn’t happen on anyone’s...I doubt it happen on many boys WhatsApp groups either tbh

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 06:36 AM #94
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Don’t drag me down to your standards

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-09-2020, 09:39 AM #95
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
everyone is getting all in a lather and the probability is that he was expelled for something other than the banter, it's much more likely it was because a group were trying to sell tickets fraudulently for non existent student events
You haven't read the article have you?

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
discussing, durham, expelled, freshers, girl’, group, sex, ‘lads’, ‘poorest