Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2020, 12:29 AM #6051

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake. View Post
But yeah, you keep on pushing that “it’s all down to the selfish young people” narrative

Actually the story does mention that there were young families with children along with ‘hoards’ or ‘gangs’ of school age kids who were described as ‘intimidating’. .. not certain if that referred to their ‘lack of masks’ or sheer numbers .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 11-10-2020, 06:15 AM #6052
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Yes Blame the Student spreaders
Nope.

There were street parties, cut price incentives and 14 u turns during this pandemic.

I know where the blame lies.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:42 AM #6053
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...(...I think...)...that it’s always ‘the let’s blame, game...’...it’s what the governments do and always have done through time ...’oh, look over there/don’t look at us...’...it’s the students, let’s look at the students because they’re awful...it was families going for days out, let’s look at them, they’re awful...it’s those travelling on public transport, let’s look at them, they’re awful...It’s the pub people, let’s look at the pub people...awful/awful/awful...serves no purpose at all other than to be divisive and add ‘strength and potency’ to COVID...
Old 11-10-2020, 06:51 AM #6054
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...we compare governments in different countries and the ‘handling of’...but I wonder with the people themselves in different countries...if all play the ‘blame game’ in the same ways...‘it’s you’../...’no it isn’t, it’s you..’...’well no actually, it’s them..’...but what about the others etc...it would be interesting to compare...
Old 11-10-2020, 06:55 AM #6055

Just over a month ago the Gov were telling the public to save the Hospitality industry and to "Eat out to help out", now they are shutting them down again as pubs are driving up cases. They told us schools and university's were safe and now are turning halls into prisons as there is an explosion of cases when large groups of students come together, they told us to not wear masks as there was no science, they told us outside transmission was practically nil now in the North we can't mix, they told us to not get tested, then get tested.....I could go on all day about the failings.

The only thing we can do is look after ourselves and our loved ones, follow the hygiene and distancing advice and get on with our lives. Sadly too many thousands of people haven't got that luxury because of this virus

Last edited by AnnieK; 11-10-2020 at 06:56 AM.
Old 11-10-2020, 06:58 AM #6056

I did not bother posting the Star
so it's now next to all the other Sunday papers.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:05 AM #6057
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
Just over a month ago the Gov were telling the public to save the Hospitality industry and to "Eat out to help out", now they are shutting them down again as pubs are driving up cases. They told us schools and university's were safe and now are turning halls into prisons as there is an explosion of cases when large groups of students come together, they told us to not wear masks as there was no science, they told us outside transmission was practically nil now in the North we can't mix, they told us to not get tested, then get tested.....I could go on all day about the failings.

The only thing we can do is look after ourselves and our loved ones, follow the hygiene and distancing advice and get on with our lives. Sadly too many thousands of people haven't got that luxury because of this virus
....when industry started to go back and work places returned to...they said that masks wouldn’t be needed there because it’s a self creating bubble, type thing...or whatever they said...and now it’s being mentioned that masks could be mandatory in all working areas../....offices etc...

...I know that so much is unknown and COVID is creating its own pace...but the ‘blame game’ is also being ‘promoted’...by the government and the media...

Last edited by Ammi; 11-10-2020 at 07:06 AM.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:07 AM #6058

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Nope.

There were street parties, cut price incentives and 14 u turns during this pandemic.

I know where the blame lies.

The thing is the whole world is struggling to cope with the virus but seemingly the other countries folk and indeed their young people have behaved responsibly.
Obviously we can exclude the US from this conversation .

Old 11-10-2020, 07:12 AM #6059
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...how do we know they have though, Zizu...?...
Old 11-10-2020, 07:24 AM #6060
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post

Great post Annie.

The first half of your post, all aside from the other disasters of protection equipment disgraceful lack of, the cruelty of he Care home scandal and
the incredible mess of testing near all through.
That first half of your post would have been bad enough without the things I've added from my thoughts too.

This is scandalous from any government.
The media have always been contradictory and really ill serve the Nation.
When you cannot in effect trust either source then as you say we need to look after ourselves and our loved ones.
Hopefully from doing so we prevent putting others at risk from us.

Which is why I've thought from the start, this needed far more than just one reactionary government dealing with it and deciding the law, rules or guidelines.

I don't care which government we would have had.
Any adding to the problems as this one has helped do, I'd be firing my fury at whoever, whenever, whatever.

This is a mess, however a dangerous and scandalous mess, particularly too as to deaths.

Last edited by joeysteele; 11-10-2020 at 07:27 AM.
Old 11-10-2020, 07:35 AM #6061
we

Favourites:
BB7: Jayne

we

Favourites:
BB7: Jayne

Those seats the tories won in the north are going to swing back to labour at the next election then
Old 11-10-2020, 07:38 AM #6062

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...how do we know they have though, Zizu...?...

Just by observing reports / footage over the last 7 to 8 months on the telly / radio / online media ..

So many countries have registered disbelief at the way we ignore or simply flout all the rules and guidelines...

Old 11-10-2020, 07:39 AM #6063

Default Coronavirus Outbreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samm View Post
Those seats the tories won in the north are going to swing back to labour at the next election then

A lot can happen in the next 3 to 4 years ??

I don’t expect much from these examples for a start .

Last edited by Zizu; 11-10-2020 at 07:57 AM.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:29 AM #6064

Lisa Nandy MP on Marr
says they want a better package for those in the north?

But they can not get one.
They are not in power.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:55 AM #6065
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

the mayors are playing political games. They can't refuse the new restrictions because it will be law, they would also be held responsible for unnecessary covid deaths if they don't follow the law
Old 11-10-2020, 08:55 AM #6066
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Lisa Nandy MP on Marr
says they want a better package for those in the north?

But they can not get one.
They are not in power.
Well, they are heading into and rightly so, big problems if they continue to discount the views of both Con and Labour Mayor's.
Not much point in having them, which the Cons wanted in the end.
If they just dismiss, don't properly consult them.
It would be expected, a Mayor would have good knowledge of the people and his area.

Such as Andy Burnham, who is a politician I greatly respect and admire.

Those Mayors are in power in those areas and any sensible and efficient government would listen to their views and act accordingly.

Things could badly backfire even more on this inept government, if it is seen to be not even trying to listen, never mind not really listen.

Last edited by joeysteele; 11-10-2020 at 08:57 AM.
Old 11-10-2020, 08:57 AM #6067

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
The mayors are playing political games. They can't refuse the new restrictions because it will be law, they would also be held responsible for unnecessary covid deaths if they don't follow the law

They are all say any on minimum wage
will suffer too much.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:28 AM #6068
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

upcoming tuesday new press conference in netherlands

some are speculating of a new intelligent lockdown here

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:33 AM #6069
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
They are all say any on minimum wage
will suffer too much.
Well, they will.
With only, and even if they qualify, on only two thirds of their wages.
Old 11-10-2020, 09:42 AM #6070

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
the mayors are playing political games. They can't refuse the new restrictions because it will be law, they would also be held responsible for unnecessary covid deaths if they don't follow the law

Yes I wondered that myself..

“ I will not accept the new regulations “

“ we will NOT accept the new proposals “

It appears that they will ...

Old 11-10-2020, 09:59 AM #6071
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

I recall this PM stating NO ONE would lose out for doing the right thing.

He opened things up, they went back to work as per that instruction.
Now he's shutting them down, they CANNOT then go into work.

Yet they can lose a third of their wages!

What happened to his original statement.
Or was that just his usual rubbish, deceit and nonsense he gets away with spouting with around 4 in 10 voters.

Unbelievable.
Old 11-10-2020, 10:08 AM #6072
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Eton parents accuse school of 'spreading virus round country' as pupils sent home to isolate...

Eton parents are understood to be "furious" that pupils have been sent home to isolate, accusing the school of "spreading the virus around the country".

The whole of the Lower Sixth, as well as some pupils in other year groups, have been told to leave the £42,000-a-year boarding school and isolate at home while continuing their lessons online.

The unusual move came after a "significant" number of pupils tested positive for coronavirus and it was decided that, in order to protect the rest of the pupils, they should be sent to isolate off site.

A source told The Telegraph: "The children who live abroad are being farmed out to the families of fellow pupils. They [the parents] don't mind the extra children at all, but they do object to the spreading of the virus round the country when it could be contained in the school."

This is the second major outbreak that the Windsor-based school has grappled with since the start of the academic year. Last month, several students tested positive after returning to school following the summer holidays and were put into isolation.

Eton College is one of a handful of elite boarding schools to have set up its own test, track and trace regime by striking a deal with a private provider. The school said it was "determined" not to put any extra pressure on the NHS and took out a contract with a company that does regular testing for pupils.

A spokesman for the school said: "A significant number of pupils recently tested positive for Covid-19, and the relevant authorities were notified. This has resulted in all of the Lower Sixth – Year 12 – isolating, as well as some pupils in other year groups.

"Given the numbers involved, medical advice was clear that these pupils could not safely isolate at the school. Public health officials arranged additional testing themselves. The school has acted in line with their instructions throughout."

The spokesman said that, following discussions with Public Health England, the school was advised that pupils should self-isolate at home to prevent Covid spreading through the rest of the school community.

"Eton has activated our virtual learning programme to teach these pupils remotely. We wish those who have tested positive a speedy recovery," he said.

While official Government advice says universities should contain outbreaks as much as possible by keeping students on campus rather than sending them home, the advice for boarding schools is different.

Boarding schools are advised by the Department for Education to consult parents on whether children should return home to isolate rather than doing so on site, acknowledging that some "may benefit more from self-isolating at their family home".

Other boarding schools, such as the £38,000-a-year Uppingham, in Rutland, have also set up their own test, track and trace systems. At the start of term, every pupil and member of staff received a test, funded by the school, regardless of whether they had symptoms.

The school has divided pupils into "pods" of 10 to 12, taking advantage of its spacious grounds so that, if a child gets ill, only those in his or her pod need to isolate.

Benenden, a £39,000-per-term girls' boarding school in Kent, has split pupils into "households" of about 16, meaning that if one tests positive only the other 15 have to isolate instead of the whole year group. The school also spent £35,000 on its own Samba II testing machine, which delivers results in 90 minutes.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/eton-paren...121119151.html
Old 11-10-2020, 01:53 PM #6073
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

todays numbers netherlands

6,378 new cases

43 new hospitalisations (1,233 in total) (247 in ICU, today a increase of 12 new)

17 new deaths (7 less than yesterdays 24)

Old 11-10-2020, 02:18 PM #6074
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

idk if anyone had followed this story

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-54279008

dutch celebs against coronameasures

well that singer/model Famke Louise has now teamed up with doctor, virologist Diederik Gommers to help spread awareness on the dangers of corona to the youth in general

Old 11-10-2020, 03:26 PM #6075

Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
5pm, coronavirus, downing, minister, outbreak, prime, st, statement, today