Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 17-10-2020, 12:47 PM #6626

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
I won't apologise for my opinions which I stand by 100% ...people have a right to disagree of course, but I am not being heartless, simply realistic
The reality is we are all going to find a difference.
Be it lifestyle or financially.
The amount to be paid by government will drop, the question is can the hospitality section survive or not, then the large sway of unemployment to follow.
I don’t see it as heartless at all, unfortunately steps have to be taken, and the country can’t afford to subsidies companies long term.
Old 17-10-2020, 12:51 PM #6627

This is Crazy
Why no Masks?

Last edited by arista; 17-10-2020 at 12:52 PM.
Old 17-10-2020, 12:54 PM #6628

The long term hit of people facing years on state benefits when they are low skilled workers will be worse than a short term crutch to support the industries hardest hit at the moment.

I wouldn't expect you to apologise for your opinion BOTs and I won't apologise or change mine. Being realistic is fine.....the very real problem people who are already teetering on the poverty will face will be to heat or eat this winter and I can never accept that is a reasonable thing for anyone to face
Old 17-10-2020, 12:57 PM #6629
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

netherlands today numbers

8,141 new cases

now 1,568 in hospital (increase of 15) 352 on the ICU

28 new deaths

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Old 17-10-2020, 12:59 PM #6630
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post

This is Crazy
Why no Masks?
they do not care about what governments, doctors, scientists have to say

they think this whole pandemic is a hoax, or a lot of overreacting at least in the media

Old 17-10-2020, 12:59 PM #6631
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
The long term hit of people facing years on state benefits when they are low skilled workers will be worse than a short term crutch to support the industries hardest hit at the moment.

I wouldn't expect you to apologise for your opinion BOTs and I won't apologise or change mine. Being realistic is fine.....the very real problem people who are already teetering on the poverty will face will be to heat or eat this winter and I can never accept that is a reasonable thing for anyone to face
I agree.
Is this really where we are going to now even in this pandemic.

No one is saying it has to be permanent.
I don't even call it assistance.
It should be just decent and right to not want anyone doing the right thing, particularly forced to as to livelihoods by the government, for them to lose out on their incomes.

Sorry no apologies from me for saying this, it's cruel if they are made to.
It's wrong.
Old 17-10-2020, 01:07 PM #6632
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...that’s the reality of the ‘divide’ though...the ‘haves and have nots’ and the have nots, already struggling on poverty line, won’t be able to survive on a cut to that poverty line...and that’s the reality being faced by many, sadly...and isn’t that what society and governments do, support those ‘have nots’ at times when it’s needed most to enable that survival...and we’re definitely facing a ‘need most’ time...

Last edited by Ammi; 17-10-2020 at 01:08 PM.
Old 17-10-2020, 01:21 PM #6633
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:

I fundamentally disagree with all the restrictions, they are futile. It is them that are now causing people to suffer, We are in October, we can't stay with these levels of restrictions until April and there is no evidence that any of them are working, and they certainly can't work in the long term. What is the point of having a lockdown for 2 or 4 weeks when we have a further 4 or 5 months after that.

The restrictions are only being applied to force people to social distance, something we should all be doing by default. I'm not crazy for believing that a critical % of the population will never social distance and restrictions cannot be applied for months on end because it's unenforceable and less and less people will put up with it
Old 17-10-2020, 01:31 PM #6634

Losing a third of minimum wage earnings on a 37.5 hour week is going from £327 per week to £218 gross per week before any deductions if their employer is able to enrol them on the new scheme and if they can provide them with some work and if they can afford to pay them for some hours they don't work. That's already a lot of ifs. But let's say they are on the scheme and getting two thirds of their wage....average council rent (not private) is around £90 per week, council tax will be about £40 per week, gas and electric around £30ish per week, water probably £15 and then they have to pay any other bills then they have to eat. That is the reality people will be facing. Its not something I would want to have to face.
Old 17-10-2020, 01:35 PM #6635
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

The sooner people get on board with the fact that while the illness itself affects the older generation, the economic illness affects every one the better

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 17-10-2020 at 01:37 PM.
Old 17-10-2020, 01:40 PM #6636

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
The sooner people get on board with the fact that while the illness itself affects the older generation, the economic illness affects every one the better
The illness affects most groups of people, not just the elderly

Last edited by Liam-; 17-10-2020 at 01:40 PM.
Old 17-10-2020, 01:50 PM #6637
-

-

Quote:
Losing a third of minimum wage earnings on a 37.5 hour week is going from £327 per week to £218 gross per week before any deductions if their employer is able to enrol them on the new scheme and if they can provide them with some work and if they can afford to pay them for some hours they don't work. That's already a lot of ifs. But let's say they are on the scheme and getting two thirds of their wage....average council rent (not private) is around £90 per week, council tax will be about £40 per week, gas and electric around £30ish per week, water probably £15 and then they have to pay any other bills then they have to eat. That is the reality people will be facing. Its not something I would want to have to face.
To be fair most people living on minimum wage will also be on universal credit and thus any drop in wage is likely to result in either part of housing costs being paid, council tax reduction (maybe even zero council tax) etc.

I know that about 8/9 years back when we were muddling through on 1x minimum wage we weren't paying any council tax and got about 1/3 of our rent money from Housing Allowance (which is now part of UC).

But that of course opens up the other side of the dumb financial decisions; they're cutting furlough from the current 80% to 67%... Why? To save money? But then they'll just be paying that same money out in increased Universal Credit anyway so what's the point?
Old 17-10-2020, 01:53 PM #6638
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
You know I meant seriously ill or fatally, very few young people are dying from it

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 17-10-2020, 01:56 PM #6639
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
To be fair most people living on minimum wage will also be on universal credit and thus any drop in wage is likely to result in either part of housing costs being paid, council tax reduction (maybe even zero council tax) etc.

I know that about 8/9 years back when we were muddling through on 1x minimum wage we weren't paying any council tax and got about 1/3 of our rent money from Housing Allowance (which is now part of UC).

But that of course opens up the other side of the dumb financial decisions; they're cutting furlough from the current 80% to 67%... Why? To save money? But then they'll just be paying that same money out in increased Universal Credit anyway so what's the point?
I was going to say that a drop in earning would mean an increase in benefits but thought maybe that had changed as nobody mentioned it

Maybe because there was some fraudulent furlough claims its better to do it this way..I don’t know

Old 17-10-2020, 02:00 PM #6640
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
You know I meant seriously ill or fatally, very few young people are dying from it
yes, it can be fatal to those with underlying health conditions so those young people are also among the vulnerable whom we need to protect

and also it is not all youth whom are not sticking by the rules, i mean there is still a very good amount who can do that

most who can't are either between 25-45 and mostly it are those with very active social lives, the kind who love to party, go to pubs

how we can reach those people to try and ask them to stay home, i also do not know

and of course those go protesting if you close down pubs, take away their nights out, but they need to be more aware they can spread the virus onto elderly and the more vulnerable which currently they aren't

Old 17-10-2020, 02:02 PM #6641
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
It's very heavily skewed toward affecting the elderly the worst and (from what we know thus far) barely touches under-30's... At least to the extent that healthy younger people don't need to be much more scared of it than they are of other endemic viruses that we live with every day without a second thought. The immediate risks, anyway. We don't know huge amounts about long term side effects just yet.

However it's not even as simple as saying people don't have to worry if that's the case; if we just let it run riot, emergency departments and ICU's (and healthcare services in general) will be swamped and that really does affect everyone.

People talk about getting more hospitals open, getting more equipment manufactured, making sure we have enough ventilators... When the critical point is, there aren't enough staff. There aren't enough respiratory/ICU trained medical doctors or nurses. And it doesn't matter how much money you throw at that... You're talking half a decade at least to train more (AND that's assuming you can get enough signing up). The other option being to import staff from abroad which is riddled with other issues. The first being that the govt. would need to be offering some cast-iron guarantees that people who come here to work in the NHS aren't going to be deported as soon as they're no longer needed, but secondarily it means that we'd be tempting nurses away from countries that also need them as much as if not more than we do which has some pretty large ethical implications.
Old 17-10-2020, 02:07 PM #6642

Old 17-10-2020, 02:31 PM #6643
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
yes, it can be fatal to those with underlying health conditions so those young people are also among the vulnerable whom we need to protect

and also it is not all youth whom are not sticking by the rules, i mean there is still a very good amount who can do that

most who can't are either between 25-45 and mostly it are those with very active social lives, the kind who love to party, go to pubs

how we can reach those people to try and ask them to stay home, i also do not know

and of course those go protesting if you close down pubs, take away their nights out, but they need to be more aware they can spread the virus onto elderly and the more vulnerable which currently they aren't
Maybe the penny will drop when there is nothing left as most social venues have gone under and it costs an arm and a leg to get on a plane

Old 17-10-2020, 02:46 PM #6644

Maybe us older ones .. over 50 will just have to accept our fate ..??

Survival of the fittest ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 17-10-2020, 02:52 PM #6645
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

If they do this circuit break the govt will have to make sure nobody loses out obviously. Of course people shouldn't be expected to lose wages and businesses affected will have to be compensated.

Nobody said it would be easy or without financial consequences, but what is the alternative?

I've seen and heard the backlash to this but nothing in the way of alternative solutions.
Old 17-10-2020, 02:57 PM #6646
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

I’m surprised panic buying hasn’t started again. I wonder if people learned there wasn’t need to do it from last time.

Spoiler:

Old 17-10-2020, 03:35 PM #6647

Labour Manchester are now saying Johnson
is not calling them on Sunday AM.

So maybe it's now Monday.

Ref: Live Times Radio DAB and free online

Last edited by arista; 17-10-2020 at 03:36 PM.
Old 17-10-2020, 03:39 PM #6648
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeB;10935205[B
]I’m surprised panic buying hasn’t started again[/B]. I wonder if people learned there wasn’t need to do it from last time.
Because they are still working their way through a garage full of toilet roll

Old 17-10-2020, 03:40 PM #6649
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Labour Manchester are now saying Johnson