Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 10:53 AM #8701
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
Yes I tend to agree ... we seem to have had quite a few false dawns already ..

There was an ‘expert’ on Sky News earlier who was upbeat about the Covid crisis and the vaccines but even he said that if could take TEN years before we will be back to normal (but with a greater understanding of vaccines)

TEN YEARS fgs
Well I think part of the issue is that people are under the impression that the vaccine will be a one-time-deal that represents the end of Covid... like the TB or Polio vaccinations... when in reality it's still very possible (perhaps even likely) that like Flu, Covid is going nowhere, ever, and there will be small pockets of seasonal outbreaks for many decades to come and an annual vaccination programme for the vulnerable. Though not "forever" as I still do genuinely believe that one day science will uncover a quick, simple and permanent solution for all viruses.

But yes I think going forward we'll see mild to moderate Covid outbreaks every winter just as we do with other viruses.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 02-12-2020 at 10:54 AM.
Old 02-12-2020, 10:56 AM #8702
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
I just don’t get how they can give any vaccine the clearance / approval so very soon ... if we ignore everything else how can they be CERTAIN there will not be any LONG TERM side effects .. they usually take 7 years to get to this stage apparently

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
From what I listened to this morning the RNA method used has been in trial and used in various vaccines (Ebola/Sars) for the past 10 years

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 02-12-2020, 10:59 AM #8703
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Well I think part of the issue is that people are under the impression that the vaccine will be a one-time-deal that represents the end of Covid... like the TB or Polio vaccinations... when in reality it's still very possible (perhaps even likely) that like Flu, Covid is going nowhere, ever, and there will be small pockets of seasonal outbreaks for many decades to come and an annual vaccination programme for the vulnerable. Though not "forever" as I still do genuinely believe that one day science will uncover a quick, simple and permanent solution for all viruses.

But yes I think going forward we'll see mild to moderate Covid outbreaks every winter just as we do with other viruses.
I don't know anyone who has that impression? maybe in your circles

if they listen to actually what is being said, we don't know how long the immunity will last, and as it stands it would probably be rolled out like flu jabs every year

maybe if they take their news from clickbaity headlines that is their impression but you can't legislate for those folks

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 02-12-2020, 11:00 AM #8704
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

The bottom line here is that it is the first steps out of this mess, so we should all be cautiously optimistic

Old 02-12-2020, 11:05 AM #8705
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
I don't know anyone who has that impression? maybe in your circles

if they listen to actually what is being said, we don't know how long the immunity will last, and as it stands it would probably be rolled out like flu jabs every year

maybe if they take their news from clickbaity headlines that is their impression but you can't legislate for those folks
My circles are exclusively clever people Cherie, I'm a ****ing snob .

Maybe yours is too; because outside of my circle I see the "The vaccine is here!!11!1!!1" stuff everywhere.
Old 02-12-2020, 11:06 AM #8706
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
The bottom line here is that it is the first steps out of this mess, so we should all be cautiously optimistic
NO CHERIE. Cautious optimism leads to nothing but disappointment; miserable pragmatism leads to occasional pleasant surprises! Accept that the glass is half empty and throw that bastard at the wall!

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 02-12-2020 at 11:07 AM.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:05 PM #8707

BBC1HD
SkyNewsHD
Radio 5
Times Radio DAB
LBC

5PM The Prime Minster with 2 others
is live today
Old 02-12-2020, 12:10 PM #8708
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
NO CHERIE. Cautious optimism leads to nothing but disappointment; miserable pragmatism leads to occasional pleasant surprises! Accept that the glass is half empty and throw that bastard at the wall!

Old 02-12-2020, 12:39 PM #8709
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

netherlands todays numbers

4,942 new cases (879 more than yesterday)

142 new hospitalisations (45 less than yesterday) (1,606 in total)

25 new ICU patients (5 more than yesterday) (475 in total)

66 new deaths (4 more than yesterday)

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:43 PM #8710
0_o

0_o

If theres only enough for 10% of the population, would that not be most high risk people covered? Obviously in time they could do more, but aslong as the most vulnerable are done, things will be a bit better surely. I actually think healthcare staff should get the option before everyone else. But thats not been a too popular opiion elsewhere, as apparently that means I want loads of grannies to die as they should clearly be priority
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:45 PM #8711
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
If theres only enough for 10% of the population, would that not be most high risk people covered? Obviously in time they could do more, but aslong as the most vulnerable are done, things will be a bit better surely. I actually think healthcare staff should get the option before everyone else. But thats not been a too popular opiion elsewhere, as apparently that means I want loads of grannies to die as they should clearly be priority
welcome back Vicky Healthcare staff will be in the first wave from what I have heard? tbh I think they have enough vaccine to get them going, this is going to take a while particularly as two doses are required 21 days apart

Last edited by Cherie; 02-12-2020 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:49 PM #8712
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
both are a priority i think

Old 02-12-2020, 12:50 PM #8713
0_o

0_o

Thanks

They should be absolutely top priority.

Along with many other keyworkers actually.

But saying this, is advocating genocide

Glad there is some good news though, but I find it extremely odd that only a week or so back, news were saying even though tey were 'done' safety testing would mean we were unlikely to see it being rolled out until March at the earliest. Then days later, we are days away from being able to give it?! The press have been horrendous through this whole thing. I have friends who are fit and healthy and young, who are terrified to even step foot out of their door because they think they will die :/ Meanwhile, the majority of older people I know are carrying on as normal, well as normal as they can when things are shut!
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 02-12-2020 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-12-2020, 12:56 PM #8714
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Thanks

They should be absolutely top priority.

Along with many other keyworkers actually.

But saying this, is advocating genocide

Glad there is some good news though, but I find it extremely odd that only a week or so back, news were saying even though tey were 'done' safety testing would mean we were unlikely to see it being rolled out until March at the earliest. Then days later, we are days away from being able to give it?! The press have been horrendous through this whole thing. I have friends who are fit and healthy and young, who are terrified to even step foot out of their door because they think they will die :/ Meanwhile, the majority of older people I know are carrying on as normal, well as normal as they can when things are shut!
over here, in a reality tv show called ''100 yrs young'' i saw (filmed amid coronacrisis of course) a 104 yr old lady just goes grocery shopping each week, and also without a face mask

kinda sad how older people carry on like it are normal times, ignoring advice to wear masks, gloves which we say to protect them from this virus

Old 02-12-2020, 12:59 PM #8715
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Hi vicky, I agree with you vaccinate the health and social care workers and shield the elderly.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:09 PM #8716
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post

kinda sad how older people carry on like it are normal times, ignoring advice to wear masks, gloves which we say to protect them from this virus
I think much of it is..they have gone through many worse periods than this. It seems to be not even on some peoples radar at all!

Ontop of this, what I see/hear is mainly along the lines of 'there are risks everyday, I am not not seeing family/going out for months because a virus exists that can be fatal to a minority of people', which I can understand really.

I am somewhere inbetween. Not scared, but not totally ignoring it either. I imagine most are at that stage now.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-12-2020, 01:16 PM #8717
-

-

I understand older people not all wanting to shield to be honest. When you're 75+ you have no idea how many healthy years you have left... yes you might catch a fatal case of covid; but you might have a stroke or heart attack tomorrow. A few weeks/months is one thing but expecting elderly people to take themselves out of the world when they might not have a lot of time left in it anyway...? It's a stretch, and a gamble. So yeah, I do sort of understand the impulse for elderly people to think "If I might be in my final days anyway, I want to spend as many of those around friends and family as possible".

Really is there anything sadder than an elderly person in a care home dying of a stroke when they haven't been able to see their loved ones for months? I think it's awful to the point of verging on inhumane.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:21 PM #8718
0_o

0_o

Yeah the carehome thing is awful, but I cannot see a solution really there

My dad is massively pissed off with the shielding thing. Hes classed as high risk as he doesn't have a spleen and has heart issues also. Was told to shield. Said he was not going to, but would be sensible along with everyone else (masks, stay away from large gatherings etc). But since retiring he got a part time job in tesco which he enjoys as its something to do and gets him out the house really. Tesco have blanket banned all people on the shielding list from working. He is foaming and says it should be his choice. I kind of agree, but also see why they are doing it, as no doubt if they didn't do this there could be court cases brought against them at some point.

Hes still on usual pay mind. But hes not liking it at all.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-12-2020, 01:29 PM #8719
-

-

Quote:
Yeah the carehome thing is awful, but I cannot see a solution really there

My dad is massively pissed off with the shielding thing. Hes classed as high risk as he doesn't have a spleen and has heart issues also. Was told to shield. Said he was not going to, but would be sensible along with everyone else (masks, stay away from large gatherings etc). But since retiring he got a part time job in tesco which he enjoys as its something to do and gets him out the house really. Tesco have blanket banned all people on the shielding list from working. He is foaming and says it should be his choice. I kind of agree, but also see why they are doing it, as no doubt if they didn't do this there could be court cases brought against them at some point.

Hes still on usual pay mind. But hes not liking it at all.
It should definitely be down to the individual in that case, he's at more personal risk but that doesn't mean he's a greater risk than anyone else of spreading it... and otherwise he's an adult perfectly capable of informed consent. I'd have thought so long as Tesco makes it clear that they WANT people on the list to shield, ensures that the person is informed about their level of risk, and has them sign a disclaimer... it really should be down to the person themself. You'd have to make sure there's no element of coercion even hinted at (because, god knows, when I worked retail they got us to sign a LOT of **** that no one actually wanted to sign) but there should be a way.
Old 02-12-2020, 01:32 PM #8720
0_o

0_o

Yeah, I think their handling is shocking really. Cannot be too hard to sort. The option of staying home and still getting paid should be made to those high risk of course, but it should be an option, not a 'you will do this' situation. Mind thats a good point about coercion. I guess this way they cannot get accusations later down the line that people felt pressured.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 02-12-2020, 01:44 PM #8721
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

I'm high risk, but still working.
The furlough just wouldn't be enough.
Old 02-12-2020, 03:36 PM #8722

Soooo ....

If you’ve had Covid and feeling better but then someone in family home then gets it .. are you still allowed to return to work EVEN though you’re living with someone who’s at home poorly with Covid ??

Surely if we’re all constantly washing our hands down and disinfecting surfaces because the Covid particles are easily transmitted then they can pass on the germs from the sick person who’s still at home ??

Old 02-12-2020, 03:43 PM #8723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
over here, in a reality tv show called ''100 yrs young'' i saw (filmed amid coronacrisis of course) a 104 yr old lady just goes grocery shopping each week, and also without a face mask

There’s an old bloke in our street (who used to work in a hospital ) he’s about 78 , extremely overweight and diabetic..
He’s out and about all over the place each day in his car , going to shops and then taking bits of shopping to the older neighbours .. he’s a nice guy but he never wears a mask even when he pops into neighbours..

Old 02-12-2020, 03:54 PM #8724

Today 698 have died

Total UK deaths

Patients in hospital

Patients on ventilation

New Covid-19 cases today

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/
Old 02-12-2020, 03:57 PM #8725
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):