Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

View Poll Results: When?
January - March 0 0%
January - March
0 0%
April - July 6 18.18%
April - July
6 18.18%
August - December 18 54.55%
August - December
18 54.55%
Not until 2022 9 27.27%
Not until 2022
9 27.27%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-12-2020, 03:14 PM #51
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
By Autumn thing will start to look normal and when they stop with the hysterical headlines and publishing death numbers, people will start to forget
Then we shouldn't be allowed to forget.. that's the issue with the public, too easily distracted.

I know the media is a bit ' hide yo wife, hide yo kids' but really..you do need to atm.
Old 30-12-2020, 03:14 PM #52
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by caprimint View Post
Herd immunity was never ever tried. And the NHS are overwhelmed now, so what do you suggest now?

Are they suffering more than us? Actually no. Only China are to blame for this regardless are much as people want to make out other countries to be worse. It's embarrassing when there is an obvious answer to the ChinaVirus.
It was tried though. Unofficially, but it was definitely tried. Boris gave speeches about how we would be carrying on as normal and staying open, which is how herd immunity was tried, then he went on with Phil and Holly and raised letting it spread through the population. That's how we were worse off than countries like Italy and France from the off.

Blaming China doesn't really do anything though, does it?

What would I do?

It's currently out of control, so I'd implement a full lockdown again. I understand why they don't want to do it, but we're rapidly losing more and more control by the minute.

Last edited by The Slim Reaper; 30-12-2020 at 03:21 PM.
The Slim Reaper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 03:16 PM #53
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

i think other virus's will follow on after covid because thats how things roll. While we have all been self isolating and social distancing across the world, we have reduced our immunity to everything else thats going around, so when people start mixing again properly. people are going to start dropping like flies. Whether it will be as bad as covid remains to be seen, but we have totally ****ed with the equilibrium and that will have consequences
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 03:17 PM #54
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
So you just listen to science without looking at the numbers? Gotcha...
What numbers change the science? Masks are primarily there to stop us spreading it, so if you're near someone who's not wearing a mask, then they will be infecting loads of people (that's how it's spreading so much), and we have loads of anti-masker. I really shouldn't need to explain this to you after 9 months. Haven't you spoken to your parents about it at all?
Old 30-12-2020, 03:19 PM #55
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
So you just listen to science without looking at the numbers? Gotcha...
The numbers are also dire, I'd rather listen to science than politics or business when it comes to killer viruses too tbh.
Old 30-12-2020, 03:22 PM #56
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Then we shouldn't be allowed to forget.. that's the issue with the public, too easily distracted.

I know the media is a bit ' hide yo wife, hide yo kids' but really..you do need to atm.

I don’t mind those so much, at least that is trying to give the right message

It’s the Summer holidays are back on for sun starved Brits

AND

Christmas is Cancelled type of unhelpful headline I won’t be sorry to see the back of

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'

Last edited by Cherie; 30-12-2020 at 03:24 PM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 03:24 PM #57
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

getting people vaccinated is how we get herd immunity. Everyone vaccinated will have anti bodies. That's exactly how we have dealt with other virus's and why we have vaccination programs
Old 30-12-2020, 03:31 PM #58
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
Everybody who is not vulnerable should get coronavirus to achieve herd immunity, or at least a very good form of it for months+++.

Masks and washing hands don't help. Some girl got covid from putting her hand in a random jacket pocket. People have died from getting spat on.
....is this real life?

Ask yourself this, if she had washed her hands after going in the random ( assuming it was not her pocket) pocket, would she have got covid or not?

Masks do help... they help a lot in everyday circumstances. Have you seen the vapour test? I can't find it but there's a very easy way to test the effectiveness of masks. Breathe into a cold room...see your breath?
Now put your mask on and repeat that.. notice how there is significantly less vapour in the air?
That's how masks reduce the risk of transmission.

However.. as you say if you are open to infection if someone spits at you as droplets may make their way through your eyes. That's hopefully not an everyday occurrence getting spat on and the 2 metre distance rule helps with that.

Face Shields might be better if at high risk of being spat at.
Old 30-12-2020, 03:37 PM #59
Likes cars that go boom

Likes cars that go boom

Quote:
[/B]

I don’t mind those so much, at least that is trying to give the right message

It’s the Summer holidays are back on for sun starved Brits

AND

Christmas is Cancelled type of unhelpful headline I won’t be sorry to see the back of
That would be the 'business at any cost' right wing message that is killing people. Literally.
I agree that there is 2 camps when it come's to advice and little in between from the media... stay in alone or carry on as normal :/
Old 30-12-2020, 04:02 PM #60
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

it *should* be painfully obvious to everyone what they need to do at the moment to keep themselves and their loved ones safe. Individual circumstances will be widely different but the principles remain the same.The media, i will never forgive for their at times obscene reporting of this pandemic
Old 30-12-2020, 04:05 PM #61
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
it *should* be painfully obvious to everyone what they need to do at the moment to keep themselves and their loved ones safe. Individual circumstances will be widely different but the principles remain the same.The media, i will never forgive for their at times obscene reporting of this pandemic
What respect in relation to the media? I agree, but think we might have different perspectives and reasons.
Old 30-12-2020, 04:10 PM #62
Banned

Banned

I'll be surprised if things ever go back to the way they were. Hopefully people will adopt the hygienic practices they've picked up during this ordeal and carry them on. I wouldn't mind it if the idea of wearing masks when you're sick becomes commonplace either. Places like Japan, despite being close to the epicentre that was China, managed to recover quickly because the use of masks when sick is considered commonplace courtesy.

With a bit of luck, people will not forget this pandemic so quickly because basic hygiene and common sense is how you help curb a situation like this from happening again.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 04:13 PM #63
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
What respect in relation to the media? I agree, but think we might have different perspectives and reasons.
they have often gone against the tide and made things worse for a headline. They have undermined common sense at almost every turn. Stirring the people up with their christmas is cancelled nonsense and then saying ... why are we still having christmas when the infection rate is so high is the most obvious recent example. I personally blame Boris for what will be a Christmas catastrophe because he was spouting about a normal Christmas back in the summer so the government don't get away with it either
Old 30-12-2020, 04:14 PM #64
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
they have often gone against the tide and made things worse for a headline. They have undermined common sense at almost every turn. Stirring the people up with their christmas is cancelled nonsense and then saying ... why are we still having christmas when the infection rate is so high is the most obvious recent example. I personally blame Boris for what will be a Christmas catastrophe because he was spouting about a normal Christmas back in the summer so the government don't get away with it either
Ahh ok, we view things pretty similarly on this. People like JHB need to burn in hell for the way they've played this down constantly.
Old 30-12-2020, 04:19 PM #65
Banned

Banned

You should always blame the leadership for mismanagement. Other countries that were hit harder than us initially managed to bounce back through good management from the government and a willingness to do what needed to be done but Boris' government acted too late and did too little despite having months of warnings in advance. People should blame the government for how they handled this. They shouldn't baby Boris just because he's Boris. He is the head of a government that is failing it's people. It's mistakes are his mistakes. Leadership is taking responsibility, not shirking it.

Last edited by Tom4784; 30-12-2020 at 04:20 PM.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 04:42 PM #66
Adios

Adios

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I'll be surprised if things ever go back to the way they were. Hopefully people will adopt the hygienic practices they've picked up during this ordeal and carry them on. I wouldn't mind it if the idea of wearing masks when you're sick becomes commonplace either. Places like Japan, despite being close to the epicentre that was China, managed to recover quickly because the use of masks when sick is considered commonplace courtesy.

With a bit of luck, people will not forget this pandemic so quickly because basic hygiene and common sense is how you help curb a situation like this from happening again.
I remember when cinemas were still open and they were cleaning the theatres more thoroughly and someone pointed out that it’s mad that they’re doing things they should have already been doing in the first place.

I think people will change the way they act and do things more differently going forward which of course will be a good thing.

“Stay away from people who act like a victim in a problem they created”
Glenn. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 08:23 PM #67

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

I would suck all the covid in the world into my body like the green mile if it made you all get back to normal.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 09:29 PM #68
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post

There's more than just the masks in Japan really... Just generally better hygiene standards e.g. People would simply not accept the conditions in more than half of the UK's toilets in bars and restaurants etc, never kind public toilets. There's also loads of etiquette things like taking your shoes off when you go into someone's home. There are many who consider that polite here but over there it's basically often considered unimaginably rude NOT to. They bow rather than shaking hands when doing business. And I assume all of that is rooted in a general culture of good hygiene rather than coincidence.

But yeah I think these sare things that people world wide will be more aware of in future. Personal space, who they touch and when, generally keeping things cleaner etc.

When it comes to the cleanliness of public spaces, really that's simply down to demand. If people stop accepting grubby facilities and vote with their feet, businesses will improve standards VERY quickly.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 07:57 AM #69

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2019: Karim Zeroual
BB18: Isabelle

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
When the vaccine has been fully rolled out, we'll probably get lulled into a false sense of security again in summer when the virus is dormant in the main so it will be next autumn at least before we know how successful the efforts have been.

As a virus can mutate we may never be truly 100% normal and measures like increased cleaning, distancing, hand washing and venting of rooms might have to be the new norm going forwards.
I totally agree with all you've said here. I'd like to think that we might have some sense of normality by August, but I have no real confidence of that. As you've said, if the virus mutates we could have an Autumn/Winter like this one.

My feeling is, as a country, the actions taken have been too little too late. My opinion is that unless the government is proactive, rather than reactive, this virus is going to be with us much longer than it needs to be.

And if you listen to the experts, they suggest that we can expect this sort of thing to occur much more often.

I wonder if what we regard as 'normality' will ever return.....
Garfie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 08:05 AM #70

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
western countries have failed, we have failed big time compared to countries like Australia, New Zealand, South Korea, Vietnam
You're so right, Nicky, yet we repeatedly fail to learn from the actions of these countries, and keep blundering from one mistake to another and making the same mistakes repeatedly. I'm thinking particularly the UK here.
Old 31-12-2020, 08:19 AM #71

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
The knock-on effects, on the economy, on mental health, on things like tourism and international travel as well as how businesses operate in general will be even bigger in scope and will likely never fully revert.

Not all necessarily in bad ways I suppose; e.g. there has been a massive shift to doing business digitally out of necessity that I think will persist to an extent simply because it saves so much money, but also, people travelling less for business (especially international business) and opting to do business via video link etc. is a huge win for the environment. People will still travel, but any reduction in road & air travel is a bonus.
I like what you've said here. If world leaders take stock and make the right decisions, the world can adjust and change for the better. New 'industries' will emerge and different jobs will be created.

This could be a massive opportunity for the human race to repair some of the damage we have caused to our environment. But the focus needs to change from returning to 'normality' to creating a new and better way of living.

The question is whether that opportunity are taken. I'd like to have trust that the human race will learn from this.....
Old 31-12-2020, 08:36 AM #72

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I mean... are you not?

How do masks stop the spread when there are more cases than ever?
Masks won't stop all infections especially if used in isolation, but they do reduce the spread if used alongside other measures that Nicky has mentioned.

The problem is the amount of people that choose not to wear masks, or fail to wear them properly, lack of social distancing and lack of hygiene measures.

Sadly, too many people choosing to mock the use of masks and refusing to accept proven science, and too many ridiculous conspiracy theorists are part of the reason that the virus is continuing to spread.

At least 72,000 people in the UK are already dead as a result of this virus and we all have a responsibility to play our part to prevent those numbers rising. Maybe think of those people and have some respect for them, before mocking the use of masks.
Old 31-12-2020, 08:39 AM #73

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
By Autumn thing will start to look normal and when they stop with the hysterical headlines and publishing death numbers, people will start to forget
I agree with Nicky, we absolutely should never forget and I don't think the majority of people will forget.
Old 31-12-2020, 08:42 AM #74

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
It was tried though. Unofficially, but it was definitely tried. Boris gave speeches about how we would be carrying on as normal and staying open, which is how herd immunity was tried, then he went on with Phil and Holly and raised letting it spread through the population. That's how we were worse off than countries like Italy and France from the off.

Blaming China doesn't really do anything though, does it?

What would I do?

It's currently out of control, so I'd implement a full lockdown again. I understand why they don't want to do it, but we're rapidly losing more and more control by the minute.
100% agree.
Old 31-12-2020, 08:44 AM #75
User banned

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy
User banned

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy

Let’s hope 2022 so we can all continue to work from home