Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2020, 01:49 PM #26
Oliver_W's Avatar
Oliver_W Oliver_W is offline
POW! BLAM!
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bill's Secret Garden
Posts: 15,743

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley


Oliver_W Oliver_W is offline
POW! BLAM!
Oliver_W's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Bill's Secret Garden
Posts: 15,743

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie
BB19: Cameron
CBB22: Kirstie Alley


Default

God, the poor Sugar family...
__________________


Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 03:53 PM #27
bitontheslide's Avatar
bitontheslide bitontheslide is offline
self-oscillating
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 44,264

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian


bitontheslide bitontheslide is offline
self-oscillating
bitontheslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 44,264

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian


Default

It's easy to deny something is a threat until it directly affects a family member. Smokers did exactly the same for decades. Anti maskers attending Trump rallies did exactly the same. It's part coping mechanism and part stupidity and it will always be the same
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 05:01 PM #28
Tom4784 Tom4784 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 45,095
Tom4784 Tom4784 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 45,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post



Some sad news for Alan.
The China Covid-19 killed his brother
Using this story to push your racist agenda is pretty gross, Arista.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-12-2020, 05:03 PM #29
Tom4784 Tom4784 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 45,095
Tom4784 Tom4784 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 45,095
Default

I feel sorry for the family though, it's a far too harsh irony that people who deny covid have their delusions shattered in such a way and that their loved ones die for it to happen.

Covid is real, it's a present danger, wear a damn mask and stick to the guidelines.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 08:56 AM #30
Garfie's Avatar
Garfie Garfie is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,585

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2019: Karim Zeroual
BB18: Isabelle
Strictly 2016: Lesley Joseph
BB17: Hughie
Garfie Garfie is offline
Senior Member
Garfie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 2,585

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2019: Karim Zeroual
BB18: Isabelle
Strictly 2016: Lesley Joseph
BB17: Hughie
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I feel sorry for the family though, it's a far too harsh irony that people who deny covid have their delusions shattered in such a way and that their loved ones die for it to happen.

Covid is real, it's a present danger, wear a damn mask and stick to the guidelines.
Exactly. Enough said.
Garfie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 10:03 AM #31
Wizard.'s Avatar
Wizard. Wizard. is offline
Lisa Scott-Lee Expert
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 15,773

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 6: Siannise
BBUSA21: Nicole
Love Island 5: Molly-Mae


Wizard. Wizard. is offline
Lisa Scott-Lee Expert
Wizard.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 15,773

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 6: Siannise
BBUSA21: Nicole
Love Island 5: Molly-Mae


Default

Where's the news of his sister dying too?
Wizard. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 10:47 AM #32
Jessica. Jessica. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 24,131


Jessica. Jessica. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 24,131


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Using this story to push your racist agenda is pretty gross, Arista.
I don't get why it's still allowed on the forum, maybe it was the UK strain that killed them? Would it then be the nasty England virus?
__________________
Jessica. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 11:39 AM #33
Jake.'s Avatar
Jake. Jake. is offline
-
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 35,548


Jake. Jake. is offline
-
Jake.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 35,548


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I feel sorry for the family though, it's a far too harsh irony that people who deny covid have their delusions shattered in such a way and that their loved ones die for it to happen.

Covid is real, it's a present danger, wear a damn mask and stick to the guidelines.
Completely agree.
Jake. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 11:48 AM #34
DouglasS's Avatar
DouglasS DouglasS is offline
Who, Douglas?
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 7,048

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis
BBCanada 7: Eddie
BB19: Akeem
DouglasS DouglasS is offline
Who, Douglas?
DouglasS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 7,048

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis
BBCanada 7: Eddie
BB19: Akeem
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Using this story to push your racist agenda is pretty gross, Arista.
How is it racist? It is the Chinese virus?

The Spanish flu is known as exactly that, this virus originated in China.. itís no different than saying the U.K. Strain and the South Africa strain, which other countries are doing
DouglasS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 11:49 AM #35
DouglasS's Avatar
DouglasS DouglasS is offline
Who, Douglas?
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 7,048

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis
BBCanada 7: Eddie
BB19: Akeem
DouglasS DouglasS is offline
Who, Douglas?
DouglasS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 7,048

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis
BBCanada 7: Eddie
BB19: Akeem
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica. View Post
I don't get why it's still allowed on the forum, maybe it was the UK strain that killed them? Would it then be the nasty England virus?
How is it racist though? Saying the Chinese virus is just saying the virus originated in China, itís no different than you saying the U.K. strain right now? Does that make you racist also?
DouglasS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 12:07 PM #36
bitontheslide's Avatar
bitontheslide bitontheslide is offline
self-oscillating
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 44,264

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian


bitontheslide bitontheslide is offline
self-oscillating
bitontheslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 44,264

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasS View Post
How is it racist though? Saying the Chinese virus is just saying the virus originated in China, it’s no different than you saying the U.K. strain right now? Does that make you racist also?
news channels around the world are using the name uk-variant, which if pushed could be considered racist but is in fact a simple and recognisable classification. However, we all know where the original covid originated, so there is no specific need to name it chinese and it will be used by those with racist tendencies, but strictly speaking it is the china virus in the same way that the last pandemic was Spanish, which is still used to this day and no-one bats an eye about that being racist

Last edited by bitontheslide; 31-12-2020 at 12:08 PM.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 12:11 PM #37
Cherie's Avatar
Cherie Cherie is offline
This Witch doesn't burn
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 60,895

Favourites:
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli


Cherie Cherie is offline
This Witch doesn't burn
Cherie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 60,895

Favourites:
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli


Default

The Spanish flu did not originate in Spain, the first known case was in Kansas USA, it is not exactly known where it originated from but Spain had the highest death count hence Spanish flu
__________________

Last edited by Cherie; 31-12-2020 at 12:13 PM.
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 12:16 PM #38
bitontheslide's Avatar
bitontheslide bitontheslide is offline
self-oscillating
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 44,264

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian


bitontheslide bitontheslide is offline
self-oscillating
bitontheslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 44,264

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
The Spanish flu did not originate in Spain, the first known case was in Kansas USA, it is not exactly known where it originated from but Spain had the highest death count hence Spanish flu
on that basis it should be American covid then ... that would make Trump happy
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 01:01 PM #39
Tom4784 Tom4784 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 45,095
Tom4784 Tom4784 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 45,095
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasS View Post
How is it racist? It is the Chinese virus?

The Spanish flu is known as exactly that, this virus originated in China.. itís no different than saying the U.K. Strain and the South Africa strain, which other countries are doing
It's about the intent. The only people who call it the 'chinese virus' are the Trumps and right wingers of the world who obviously want to push a particular narrative, a narrative that's meant to be disparaging to chinese people.

Everyone calls it Covid or some variation of Corona, it's only the racists that insist on calling it the chinese virus.

The Spanish Flu was called that for the same reason, to disparage Spain.

Saying where a virus originated from isn't bad. Nobody is calling the virus the 'UK virus' they call it the strain that originated in UK. There's a difference. There's respect in that but branding Covid the 'Chinese Virus' is obviously different.

It shouldn't really be something I have to explain, it should be obvious.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 02:40 PM #40
DouglasS's Avatar
DouglasS DouglasS is offline
Who, Douglas?
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 7,048

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis
BBCanada 7: Eddie
BB19: Akeem
DouglasS DouglasS is offline
Who, Douglas?
DouglasS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 7,048

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis
BBCanada 7: Eddie
BB19: Akeem
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
It's about the intent. The only people who call it the 'chinese virus' are the Trumps and right wingers of the world who obviously want to push a particular narrative, a narrative that's meant to be disparaging to chinese people.

Everyone calls it Covid or some variation of Corona, it's only the racists that insist on calling it the chinese virus.

The Spanish Flu was called that for the same reason, to disparage Spain.

Saying where a virus originated from isn't bad. Nobody is calling the virus the 'UK virus' they call it the strain that originated in UK. There's a difference. There's respect in that but branding Covid the 'Chinese Virus' is obviously different.

It shouldn't really be something I have to explain, it should be obvious.
How do you know everyoneís intent? Are you psychic? You are just making a bunch of assumptions that people have negative intent / what their political views are. I call it the Chinese virus because thatís where it originated from and where the virus was created.

There is no narrative to push, although perhaps yes China should have stricter regulations regarding the cleanliness of fish markets, perhaps China should have better animal welfare laws, and yes perhaps China should have regulations in place to not mix different animals. China does indeed have a disproportionate amount of disease that originated there when you look at epidemics and pandemics, and perhaps China should act on some of the things Iíve listed above to help prevent it occurring as frequently as it does. Ignoring these issues does not help anyone (including China then self). Talking about these issues is not racist at all...
DouglasS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 02:49 PM #41
Kizzy's Avatar
Kizzy Kizzy is offline
Likes cars that go boom
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41,755


Kizzy Kizzy is offline
Likes cars that go boom
Kizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41,755


Default

I've noticed that, with every new variant it's reported we were seeded by Spanish farm workers or something, it perpetuates the narrative that foreigners are invasive...
And yet the news of 30,000 agricultural workers were announced to great fanfare a week before that they were coming to rescue that sector post Brexit.

Make your mind up media... are they savior or the enemy?

Can you imagine if 30,000 UK residents rocked up on another island? What the hell would they say we were? :/
__________________
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 02:52 PM #42
Kizzy's Avatar
Kizzy Kizzy is offline
Likes cars that go boom
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41,755


Kizzy Kizzy is offline
Likes cars that go boom
Kizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41,755


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasS View Post
How do you know everyoneís intent? Are you psychic? You are just making a bunch of assumptions that people have negative intent / what their political views are. I call it the Chinese virus because thatís where it originated from and where the virus was created.

There is no narrative to push, although perhaps yes China should have stricter regulations regarding the cleanliness of fish markets, perhaps China should have better animal welfare laws, and yes perhaps China should have regulations in place to not mix different animals. China does indeed have a disproportionate amount of disease that originated there when you look at epidemics and pandemics, and perhaps China should act on some of the things Iíve listed above to help prevent it occurring as frequently as it does. Ignoring these issues does not help anyone (including China then self). Talking about these issues is not racist at all...
Where did BSE originate.. and why?
__________________
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 03:02 PM #43
DouglasS's Avatar
DouglasS DouglasS is offline
Who, Douglas?
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 7,048

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis
BBCanada 7: Eddie
BB19: Akeem
DouglasS DouglasS is offline
Who, Douglas?
DouglasS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 7,048

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis
BBCanada 7: Eddie
BB19: Akeem
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
Where did BSE originate.. and why?
I don’t get your point? If you called it the U.K. disease I would find zero offence?

Just stating a random disease/illness that started in the U.K. does not offer any reasons as to why it is racist if some people call it the Chinese virus? It’s not like it’s completely random it was stated as the China virus even by BBC and other news outlets when it first begun, including the president of the United States, it’s not just some random terminology...

People just seem to be snowflakes on other peoples/countries behalf.

Edit: After reading about BSE, well done to the U.K. on acting and placing a ban on feeding bones and meat to cows and actively help to prevent this ever happening again, perhaps China should follow suit and place stricter animal welfare laws and better food hygiene laws, and better wet market regulations to prevent yet another disease from occurring - rather than imprisoning Chinese reporters who report on the Chinese virus and its origins or wet markets..

I think it’s important to hold China accountable to help prevent this happening and occurring again and again, otherwise millions upon millions of lives will be lost due to future occurrences. Any country that has poor regulations (as you mentioned above the U.K. with mad cows disease) should be held accountable for disease/deaths and try to improve for the benefit of the world and lives. I think trying to protect countries (China in this case) is incredibly dangerous because otherwise they will not feel pressure to implement change to prevent this happening again. Just my personal view - shutting down people who remind others where it originated is actually quite dangerous
__________________
Douglasís Love Island season 5 least faves: Yewande, Anna, Jourdan, Joanna and Lavena

New Love Island least faves: Kaz, Tyler, Faye, Sharon, Rachel

Sig images and links removed for rule breaking - TiBB Staff

Last edited by DouglasS; 31-12-2020 at 03:09 PM.
DouglasS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-12-2020, 03:28 PM #44
rusticgal's Avatar
rusticgal rusticgal is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 24,176


rusticgal rusticgal is offline
Senior Member
rusticgal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 24,176


Default

People get far too sensitive on here...its just laughable.

Stick a label on 'Made in China'...that doesnt seem to offend anyone.

Last edited by rusticgal; 31-12-2020 at 03:30 PM.
rusticgal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
alan, brother, coronavirus, died, reveals, sister, sugar

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
 

About Us ThisisBigBrother.com

"Big Brother and UK Television Forum. Est. 2001"

 

© 2023
no new posts