Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2021, 09:36 PM #26
DouglasS's Avatar
DouglasS DouglasS is offline
Who, Douglas?
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 7,050

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis
BBCanada 7: Eddie
BB19: Akeem
DouglasS DouglasS is offline
Who, Douglas?
DouglasS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 7,050

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis
BBCanada 7: Eddie
BB19: Akeem
Default

FYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasS View Post
Here is the definition:

Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information, on the basis that such material is considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or "inconvenient." Censorship can be conducted by governments, private institutions, and other controlling bodies.

Last edited by DouglasS; 11-01-2021 at 09:36 PM.
DouglasS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:42 PM #27
The Slim Reaper's Avatar
The Slim Reaper The Slim Reaper is offline
Oh no, I'm English
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: In MS Paint on your desktop
Posts: 12,450
The Slim Reaper The Slim Reaper is offline
Oh no, I'm English
The Slim Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: In MS Paint on your desktop
Posts: 12,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasS View Post
Look at the definition of censorship again. It is not just purely speech that makes Something qualify as censorship. It is censorship
No, censorship would have meant him being banned years ago, capitalism means it took an attempted coup.

As I pointed out in one of the other threads in reply to you, he wasn't censored when he called mexicans, rapists, and described folks chanting "jews will not replace us," as "very fine people." Also, he's the president and internationally known/loved/loathed. He can still communicate, just not on certain platforms. The founding fathers laid out an example where speech could no longer be considered free or protected by the 1st amendment, and that was shouting fire in a crowded theatre. What Trump did is far worse.
__________________
The Slim Reaper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:45 PM #28
DouglasS's Avatar
DouglasS DouglasS is offline
Who, Douglas?
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 7,050

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis
BBCanada 7: Eddie
BB19: Akeem
DouglasS DouglasS is offline
Who, Douglas?
DouglasS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 7,050

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis
BBCanada 7: Eddie
BB19: Akeem
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasS View Post
FYI
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
No, censorship would have meant him being banned years ago, capitalism means it took an attempted coup.

As I pointed out in one of the other threads in reply to you, he wasn't censored when he called mexicans, rapists, and described folks chanting "jews will not replace us," as "very fine people." Also, he's the president and internationally known/loved/loathed. He can still communicate, just not on certain platforms. The founding fathers laid out an example where speech could no longer be considered free or protected by the 1st amendment, and that was shouting fire in a crowded theatre. What Trump did is far worse.
Censorship doesn’t have a time span.. by that logic anyone who has been censored before hasn’t truly been censored if they had past history of being controversial.. that is not true.. just because he wasn’t censored in the past doesn’t mean he’s not being censored now..

The definition is clear as day, regardless of whether you agree with censorship or not all you genuinely need is basic literacy to see this is censorship going by the definition. It Does not necessarily mean you have to disagree with, some censorship is arguably good

Last edited by DouglasS; 11-01-2021 at 09:47 PM.
DouglasS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:46 PM #29
The Slim Reaper's Avatar
The Slim Reaper The Slim Reaper is offline
Oh no, I'm English
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: In MS Paint on your desktop
Posts: 12,450
The Slim Reaper The Slim Reaper is offline
Oh no, I'm English
The Slim Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: In MS Paint on your desktop
Posts: 12,450
Default

Finally, all of those companies will have a terms of service. If you breach that, just like here, and get banned, you're not being censored. I'm guessing inciting violence/riots/hate speech etc, aren't allowed under the ToS.
__________________
The Slim Reaper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:48 PM #30
reece(:'s Avatar
reece(: reece(: is offline
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England
Posts: 79,889

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle
Survivor 40: Parvati
IAC2019: Jacqueline Jossa


reece(: reece(: is offline
♡☯♡☮♡☯♡☮♡
reece(:'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: England
Posts: 79,889

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
BBUSA22: Janelle
Survivor 40: Parvati
IAC2019: Jacqueline Jossa


Default

the left wing social media site

had me.

But then I saw the source was some blog post.
__________________

Spoiler:

reece(: is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 09:56 PM #31
The Slim Reaper's Avatar
The Slim Reaper The Slim Reaper is offline
Oh no, I'm English
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: In MS Paint on your desktop
Posts: 12,450
The Slim Reaper The Slim Reaper is offline
Oh no, I'm English
The Slim Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: In MS Paint on your desktop
Posts: 12,450
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasS View Post
Censorship doesnít have a time span.. by that logic anyone who has been censored before hasnít truly been censored if they had past history of being controversial.. that is not true.. just because he wasnít censored in the past doesnít mean heís not being censored now..

The definition is clear as day, regardless of whether you agree with censorship or not all you genuinely need is basic literacy to see this is censorship going by the definition. It Does not necessarily mean you have to disagree with, some censorship is arguably good
No. He had his free speech, he's been banned as a result of how he used it. There is no such thing as consequence-free speech. I've explained a number of different reasons why you're wrong imo here. We'll see when trump takes these companies to court whether or not it is a free speech issue. If we're both still around, would you like a make a bet on how that issue is decided in court? Charitable donation to a foodbank?
__________________
The Slim Reaper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-01-2021, 10:06 PM #32
Scarlett. Scarlett. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 40,442


Scarlett. Scarlett. is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 40,442


Default

When it comes down to it, Amazon isn't legally obligated to give anyone server space, they have the right to refuse anyone to use their servers, because they are their servers.
Scarlett. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 07:24 AM #33
Nicky91's Avatar
Nicky91 Nicky91 is offline
TeamEllie&Vito
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: None of your Business
Posts: 61,179

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: HRVY
DOI 2020: Caprice Bourret
IAC2019: Caitlyn Jenner
RPDR UK 1: Blu Hydrangea


Nicky91 Nicky91 is offline
TeamEllie&Vito
Nicky91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: None of your Business
Posts: 61,179

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: HRVY
DOI 2020: Caprice Bourret
IAC2019: Caitlyn Jenner
RPDR UK 1: Blu Hydrangea


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
No. He had his free speech, he's been banned as a result of how he used it. There is no such thing as consequence-free speech. I've explained a number of different reasons why you're wrong imo here. We'll see when trump takes these companies to court whether or not it is a free speech issue. If we're both still around, would you like a make a bet on how that issue is decided in court? Charitable donation to a foodbank?
yup he had many chances to post in a better way, people like him have no rights now at free speech, if you only abuse that for the worse


Pence for example posts in a correct manner and he gets to stay on social media
__________________
Quote:
''Disasters don't just happen, they're a chain of critical events, unravel the chain to find out what went wrong in these final seconds from disaster''
Seconds from Disaster
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:10 AM #34
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
I am the LAW
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 90,163


LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
I am the LAW
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 90,163


Default

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:11 AM #35
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
I am the LAW
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 90,163


LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
I am the LAW
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 90,163


Default

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:33 AM #36
Mystic Mock's Avatar
Mystic Mock Mystic Mock is offline
Blues 28th best team.
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: with joeysteele.
Posts: 52,678

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
X Factor Celebrity: Jenny Ryan
Strictly 2019: Will Bayley


Mystic Mock Mystic Mock is offline
Blues 28th best team.
Mystic Mock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: with joeysteele.
Posts: 52,678

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
X Factor Celebrity: Jenny Ryan
Strictly 2019: Will Bayley


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasS View Post
More censorship. Fake reasons as well ‘violent content’ is on every single social media platform...
It's because allegedly Parler weren't banning the members making the violent content rather than there were violent content on Parler, because as you rightly say all Social Media (and Forums tbh) would be banned.

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 12-01-2021 at 08:34 AM.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:41 AM #37
Nicky91's Avatar
Nicky91 Nicky91 is offline
TeamEllie&Vito
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: None of your Business
Posts: 61,179

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: HRVY
DOI 2020: Caprice Bourret
IAC2019: Caitlyn Jenner
RPDR UK 1: Blu Hydrangea


Nicky91 Nicky91 is offline
TeamEllie&Vito
Nicky91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: None of your Business
Posts: 61,179

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: HRVY
DOI 2020: Caprice Bourret
IAC2019: Caitlyn Jenner
RPDR UK 1: Blu Hydrangea


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
It's because allegedly Parler weren't banning the members making the violent content rather than there were violent content on Parler, because as you rightly say all Social Media (and Forums tbh) would be banned.
Parler lacked the discipline to take on ''violent content'' so it is rightfully removed from the internet

every social media has their rules/policies and i totally support Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Youtube to take on all far right people who do nothing but post hateful nasty content (whom abuse their social media status for the worse, which is not what social media is meant for)


also calling it ''censorship'' how ridiculous the people who continue to spread more hate in the world, do not deserve to have freedom of speech if they just abuse it
__________________
Quote:
''Disasters don't just happen, they're a chain of critical events, unravel the chain to find out what went wrong in these final seconds from disaster''
Seconds from Disaster
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 08:52 AM #38
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
I am the LAW
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 90,163


LeatherTrumpet LeatherTrumpet is offline
I am the LAW
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 90,163


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
It's because allegedly Parler weren't banning the members making the violent content rather than there were violent content on Parler, because as you rightly say all Social Media (and Forums tbh) would be banned.
and who specifically was doing the judging what content was "violent" and then checking that the person was not banned?

who is the judge here and what are their credentials?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 11:43 AM #39
Tom4784 Tom4784 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 45,097
Tom4784 Tom4784 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 45,097
Default

Saying something is censorship when it isn't won't make it censorship. Repeating something incorrect because it benefits your agenda does not validate it.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:09 PM #40
DouglasS's Avatar
DouglasS DouglasS is offline
Who, Douglas?
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 7,050

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis
BBCanada 7: Eddie
BB19: Akeem
DouglasS DouglasS is offline
Who, Douglas?
DouglasS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Manchester
Posts: 7,050

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis
BBCanada 7: Eddie
BB19: Akeem
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Saying something is censorship when it isn't won't make it censorship. Repeating something incorrect because it benefits your agenda does not validate it.
I am just using the dictionary’s definition of censorship and using that as evidence... obviously you know more than the dictionary and everyone else.

I thought as an author you would understand the meanings of words such as censorship, and understand definitions and meanings.

Just because it’s censorship doesn’t mean it’s always a bad thing, a lot of things get censored for good reasons

Last edited by DouglasS; 12-01-2021 at 12:09 PM.
DouglasS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 12:26 PM #41
Tom4784 Tom4784 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 45,097
Tom4784 Tom4784 is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 45,097
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasS View Post
I am just using the dictionaryís definition of censorship and using that as evidence... obviously you know more than the dictionary and everyone else.

I thought as an author you would understand the meanings of words such as censorship, and understand definitions and meanings.

Just because itís censorship doesnít mean itís always a bad thing, a lot of things get censored for good reasons
I have a far better understanding than you, it seems.

You're not grasping the concept beyond the basic idea because doing so invalidates your point. Freedom of Speech is just that, you are free to speak and believe what you want to believe but freedom of speech does not entitle you to use a private platform against the owner's wishes.

Imagine you own a house and and you invite someone in but they are destructive and and they break something, it would be within your rights to tell them to get out, breaking the TOS of a social media site is no different. You agree to follow the rules of the site and when you do not, it's up to them if they want to keep you around.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-01-2021, 02:48 PM #42
Vicky. Vicky. is offline
0_o
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 64,533


Vicky. Vicky. is offline
0_o
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 64,533


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
"left wing social media site parler"
That was my first thought, not gunna lie

I kind of see where cases like this are coming from,. but at the end of the day, amazon is a private company, and can ban whoever they see fit, for any reason tbh.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
always cook meals, i did have chinese takeaways the year before the corona **** happened
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
amazon, breaking, parler, sues, suspended

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:49 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
 

About Us ThisisBigBrother.com

"Big Brother and UK Television Forum. Est. 2001"

 

© 2023
no new posts