Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 21-01-2021, 08:07 AM #226
Nah

Nah

So happy, it was a great and beautiful inauguration! A new era is in front of us!
Old 21-01-2021, 08:20 AM #227
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Trump is likely to create a new "Patriot" party and thats why he pardoned Bannon and other well connected criminals - they will owe him a favour. The best thing would be if the senate convicted him. The dems would then only need a simple majority to prohibit him taking office again. However, the senate often say one thing and then vote another way, so a conviction is not at all certain

I agree with all that bots.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 08:21 AM #228
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
I don't think Trump will end up in prison.
Although I think a lot of problems loom legally for him probably.

What will be really worked to is to ensure he cannot seek public office again.
I can't see that not succeeding myself as even Republicans who seemed strong at his side are now pulling away from him.

Even if he did however and then he too will be pushing to 80 in another 4 years.
Then it's different to 2016.
He has NO way of getting 2 terms then.
He'd have to go after just one again.

So little point really.
Plus he's never going to shake off now, the problems he helped create of unrest and his questioning of the election results, which have been shown to be right, with all his even court applications thrown out or dismissed.

Politically he should be history, a bad part of it too.
So I'd guess myself the moves will be to find whatever legal means to stop him ever seeking public office again.
For another reason.
He could run as an Independent Presidential candidate.
While not winning, he could however take substantial votes from the republican party in 2024.
So ensuring he cannot seek office again, wil eradicate that possibility.
He can't have two terms starting 2024 anyway, US presidents can only serve two terms whether that's consecutively or not. If he did run and win in 2024 (I don't think he will anyway, but if he did) then in January 2025 he would start his 2nd term.

Early indications are that his support base is fractured anyway; there are still the fanatics who believe in him to somehow come back and fix everything, but there are many (even the hardcore) who feel let down/lied to (they really believed there was a plan to stop the transition) and they are already looking for the next guy to throw their support behind.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 08:26 AM #229
-

-

Quote:
Trump is likely to create a new "Patriot" party and thats why he pardoned Bannon and other well connected criminals - they will owe him a favour. The best thing would be if the senate convicted him. The dems would then only need a simple majority to prohibit him taking office again. However, the senate often say one thing and then vote another way, so a conviction is not at all certain
If he creates a new party, even at the height of his popularity (which is waning fast), all he would succeed in doing is splitting the Republican vote down the middle and making it near impossible for them to win anything at all. Put it this way; he lost by a good margin in November, and at least half of that was not the MAGA/Trump component, it was the "Well I don't much like Trump but at the end of the day I'm a Republican" component... Who are entirely unlikely to switch to voting for a new Trump Party. If a new party took off in any meaningful way, the Dems would dominate for decades to come.
Old 21-01-2021, 08:31 AM #230
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
If he creates a new party, even at the height of his popularity (which is waning fast), all he would succeed in doing is splitting the Republican vote down the middle and making it near impossible for them to win anything at all. Put it this way; he lost by a good margin in November, and at least half of that was not the MAGA/Trump component, it was the "Well I don't much like Trump but at the end of the day I'm a Republican" component... Who are entirely unlikely to switch to voting for a new Trump Party. If a new party took off in any meaningful way, the Dems would dominate for decades to come.
it is certainly his plan. I also think that if not constrained by the GOP he would drift even further in the bat**** index, which would further reduce his popularity.

You only had to look at the handful of people that turned up to see him off yesterday. Most of the 'crowd' was family
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 08:35 AM #231
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
He can't have two terms starting 2024 anyway, US presidents can only serve two terms whether that's consecutively or not. If he did run and win in 2024 (I don't think he will anyway, but if he did) then in January 2025 he would start his 2nd term.

Early indications are that his support base is fractured anyway; there are still the fanatics who believe in him to somehow come back and fix everything, but there are many (even the hardcore) who feel let down/lied to (they really believed there was a plan to stop the transition) and they are already looking for the next guy to throw their support behind.
Come on TS , I said that, he could only be a one term President again anyway.
Because of course they can only serve 2 terms.

I do agree his support in the Party is drifting away pretty fast.

Which is why I think finding the means to stop him standing again, will more likely be what's worked to.

I also agree with your reply to bots too.which is really another strong reason for the Republican Party, to shall I say, at least not block ways to prevent him being a candidate again.
Old 21-01-2021, 08:36 AM #232
-

-

Quote:
it is certainly his plan. I also think that if not constrained by the GOP he would drift even further in the bat**** index, which would further reduce his popularity.

You only had to look at the handful of people that turned up to see him off yesterday. Most of the 'crowd' was family
I think even a lot of his hardcore base has been scared off by the realisation that the military/law enforcement is not "on their side" in any great numbers. They really seemed shocked that there were clashes with the police in DC.
Old 21-01-2021, 08:39 AM #233
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

It was really good this morning putting the news channels on.
Then hearing the words President Biden.

Then the things he's already started to change.

After the harder, colder and in my view often bonkers statements and actions of the last one term President.
This was like a breath of fresh air.
Old 21-01-2021, 10:55 AM #234

arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 11:00 AM #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post
It was really good this morning putting the news channels on.
Then hearing the words President Biden.

Then the things he's already started to change.

After the harder, colder and in my view often bonkers statements and actions of the last one term President.
This was like a breath of fresh air.

Except Last night in Seattle and Portland
had Amazon Go shop Smashed up and USA Flag Burnt,
Antifa Crazy Groups (Not Trump people)

https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/for...1#post10988571
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 11:15 AM #236
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Except Last night in Seattle and Portland
had Amazon Go shop Smashed up and USA Flag Burnt,
Antifa Crazy Groups (Not Trump people)

https://www.thisisbigbrother.com/for...1#post10988571
I doubt anyone will want to acknowledge this, it's flowers and rainbows all the way now

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 11:22 AM #237
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
I doubt anyone will want to acknowledge this, it's flowers and rainbows all the way now
For some context, even fox news aren't going on about this, so I've a feeling Arista is overplaying it a touch. I could be wrong, but it's not exactly spread across rw media today.

On the back of a right wing suicide bombing, attempted kidnappings, murder, and an insurrectionist plot, I'm not entirely sure a few people smashing up a few buildings is much of a story these days, but yes, it's the wrong way to protest.
Old 21-01-2021, 11:26 AM #238
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

And also, there were way more police and military actually involved in the coup attempt, than protested last night.
Old 21-01-2021, 11:27 AM #239
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
For some context, even fox news aren't going on about this, so I've a feeling Arista is overplaying it a touch. I could be wrong, but it's not exactly spread across rw media today.

On the back of a right wing suicide bombing, attempted kidnappings, murder, and an insurrectionist plot, I'm not entirely sure a few people smashing up a few buildings is much of a story these days, but yes, it's the wrong way to protest.
Most people on the thread completely ignored the lack of social distancing at times yesterday as well, I didn't watch it but the two clips I saw, one at the beginning where there was alot of bunching together than at the end when Biden was shaking hands and Harris was hugging, not exactly great role modelling if you want to get anti maskers behind you and get control of the pandemic

anyhoo it looks like just another role reversal on TiBB 4 years of oh he is great, shot down by Trump supporters, good luck

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 11:41 AM #240
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Most people on the thread completely ignored the lack of social distancing at times yesterday as well, I didn't watch it but the two clips I saw, one at the beginning where there was alot of bunching together than at the end when Biden was shaking hands and Harris was hugging, not exactly great role modelling if you want to get anti maskers behind you and get control of the pandemic

anyhoo it looks like just another role reversal on TiBB 4 years of oh he is great, shot down by Trump supporters, good luck
I didn't watch it either, because those things are pomp and boredom mixed in with self importance.

I mean, this is the first full day of his presidency, and he's already put an executive order in place to ensure masks and social distancing are worn/adhered on federal land/buildings, which is already more than we have, I think it's a bit premature to call it a role reversal, when I was critical of Obama, and no one on here has been more critical of Starmer than me.

There no doubt will be things happening over bidens term that he will be defended for, that trump would have been criticised for, but it's a bit of a reach to say we're there already.

What I think will be different, is that folks won't pretend to be biden supporters because grown adults think it's a good way to try and troll and wind people up on a forum.
Old 21-01-2021, 11:50 AM #241
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

biden can only do so much with executive orders and such. It could be he has the best of intentions, but he will fair no better than Trump dealing with the covid crisis. Brick walls are everywhere. Time will tell

Extremists of any form don't disappear with a new government, so I don't get why its even being suggested that it it would all change on the day of inauguration

Last edited by bitontheslide; 21-01-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 21-01-2021, 12:11 PM #242
Banned

Banned

Biden wasn't my first choice (or my second, or third, or fourth for that matter) for the nomination, but he'll do enough to right the boat.

I do think the US will see an improvement in the Covid situation though since Biden will be likely to push for federal involvement in mandating measures to keep infections down. Too many states and their senators and governers see Covid as a political battleground, Biden will hopefully force some unified measures across the US into place.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 12:29 PM #243
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...he’s the calm voice that America needs atm, I feel...words carry great weight and they carry power to heal or to divide...and his words yesterday were the right words at the right time...there’s no reason not to feel that his actions won’t continue in the same vein of unifying his country...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 12:37 PM #244
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Biden wasn't my first choice (or my second, or third, or fourth for that matter) for the nomination, but he'll do enough to right the boat.

I do think the US will see an improvement in the Covid situation though since Biden will be likely to push for federal involvement in mandating measures to keep infections down. Too many states and their senators and governers see Covid as a political battleground, Biden will hopefully force some unified measures across the US into place.
he can't tell the states to do anything, thats the problem. He can bring in federal resources to help, if the state consents to it, but he cant make mask wearing mandatory on non federal property.

He can try and streamline production of vaccine and distribution to states, but thats all, and the states themselves are all handling things completely differently

Last edited by bitontheslide; 21-01-2021 at 12:38 PM.
Old 21-01-2021, 02:20 PM #245
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Yeah, I'm willing to be suckered by that speech for now. I need something on the world stage to feel good about. You can't say it was the usual case of a newly elected official saying all the right things either, because roughly half the country will take it as an attack regardless.

I'm convinced the MAGA mindset is to just roleplay America Hero at all costs, and that requires conflict. Be it real or simulated.

It was - frankly - brilliant hearing the American president openly denounce white supremacy and false facts. The olive branch to those who voted against him is at once sincere and also brilliant potential trolling should those it's directed to take it that way. I hope it continues for however long he stays in office.

It's almost like America's version of "I want the old Stone Cold!"

You know they're going to continue to be a complete bastard, but it's the devil you know.
Stu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 03:02 PM #246

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post

Yeah he wasn't mine either , and neither was Hilary. I always wanted Bernie to win . But I'm just glad the orange lunatic has gone . And Biden actually seems like he wants to do good , and with Kamala by his side I feel this is a strong duo .

He'll definitely have unified measure , he said he's a president for everyone .
Old 21-01-2021, 08:00 PM #247
Sod orf

Sod orf

The actual inauguration

Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 08:25 PM #248

Quote:
One colour stood out at Joe Biden's inauguration on Wednesday: purple.

Several women - from Vice President Kamala Harris to Former First Lady Michelle Obama - opted to wear shades of purple to the inauguration. 2016 Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton and Senator Elizabeth Warren also arrived at the ceremony in purple, while incoming First Lady Jill Biden wore it for Tuesday night's vigil at the Lincoln Memorial Reflecting Pool, reports USA Today.

This fashion choice was not a mere coincidence. Purple - a mix of Republican red and Democratic blue - has long been seen as a symbol of bipartisanship. The colour also has historic ties to the women's suffrage movement, according to NPR. Along with white and green, purple makes up the colour of the suffragette flag.

According to CNN, the colour purple also has an added significance for Ms Harris. She chose it as a nod to Shirley Chisholm, who was the first Black woman to run for president under the Democratic party and the first Black woman elected to the US Congress. Ms Chisholm often used purple in her campaign flyers.

Last edited by LaLaLand; 21-01-2021 at 08:28 PM.
LaLaLand is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 08:27 PM #249
Sod orf

Sod orf

Already?

Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-01-2021, 09:02 PM #250

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):