Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 25-01-2021, 12:55 AM   #1401
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 113,819
Default

arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 12:59 AM   #1402
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 113,819
Default

arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 12:59 AM   #1403
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 113,819
Default

arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 01:01 AM   #1404
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 113,819
Default

arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 01:04 AM   #1405
joeysteele
Remembering Kerry
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: with Mystic Mock
Posts: 35,134

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: HRVY
BB19: Cameron
Strictly 2018: Joe Sugg
CBB21: Shane Jenek


Default

Listening to Matt Hancock today and taking in the general news.
This does look bad.

The Health Secretary, Matt Hancock, stressing it could be a long, long time in coming out of this lockdown.
( Stressing the word long twice at least).

Indicates significant new concerns re the virus.
He was very sombre indeed.

Last edited by joeysteele; 25-01-2021 at 01:05 AM.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 01:06 AM   #1406
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 113,819
Default

arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 01:20 AM   #1407
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 113,819
Default

arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 12:48 PM   #1408
bitontheslide
self-oscillating
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 25,094

Favourites:
BB19: Sian


Default

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer is self-isolating for the third time, after coming into contact with someone who tested positive for coronavirus.

He said he would be working from home until next Monday after being notified of the contact earlier.

Sir Keir confirmed on Twitter that he had no symptoms.

The Labour leader last self-isolated in December after a member of his staff tested positive for Covid-19, but he never showed any symptoms of the virus.

He also self-isolated in September after a member of his family showed symptoms - but they later tested negative, allowing Sir Keir to get back to Westminster.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 01:22 PM   #1409
Scarlett.
Happy New Year
 
Scarlett.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 40,349


Default

When schools opened back in September, cases immediately began to soar, opening them now would be nothing short of insane
__________________
Scarlett. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 01:32 PM   #1410
Dezzy
Babs
 
Dezzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 43,814

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Shane Jenek
CBB19: Kim Woodburn
BB17: Jayne
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard


Default

Schools need to stay closed for as long as needs be, we'll only be repeating another lockdown in a few weeks time were the schools to open any time soon.
__________________
Dezzy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 01:33 PM   #1411
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 113,819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer is self-isolating for the third time, after coming into contact with someone who tested positive for coronavirus.

He said he would be working from home until next Monday after being notified of the contact earlier.

Sir Keir confirmed on Twitter that he had no symptoms.

The Labour leader last self-isolated in December after a member of his staff tested positive for Covid-19, but he never showed any symptoms of the virus.

He also self-isolated in September after a member of his family showed symptoms - but they later tested negative, allowing Sir Keir to get back to Westminster.
Yes he is unlucky 3
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 01:35 PM   #1412
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 113,819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Schools need to stay closed for as long as needs be, we'll only be repeating another lockdown in a few weeks time were the schools to open any time soon.

Its the PM's MP's pushing him.
He will not say - but also told a reporter off for
saying scholls will not upen mid feb.


Video clip
https://news.sky.com/video/boris-joh...tions-12198362

Last edited by arista; 25-01-2021 at 01:44 PM.
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 01:35 PM   #1413
Niamh.
I Love my brick
 
Niamh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ireland-The peoples Republic of Cork!
Posts: 130,366

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Lynch


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett. View Post
When schools opened back in September, cases immediately began to soar, opening them now would be nothing short of insane
Ours were open from September to Dec and the cases stayed low-ish. Ours only started to soar again after other restrictions were lifted during the Christmas period like the amount of people that can visit your house and pubs being open again. Still though I think the cases here are still way too high to allow schools open again anyway, they're as bad or worse than they were back in March
__________________

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post



Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 01:36 PM   #1414
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 113,819
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Ours were open from September to Dec and the cases stayed low-ish. Ours only started to soar again after other restrictions were lifted during the Christmas period like the amount of people that can visit your house and pubs being open again. Still though I think the cases here are still way too high to allow schools open again anyway, they're as bad or worse than they were back in March

Less population
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 01:39 PM   #1415
Zizu
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 6,726
Default Coronavirus Outbreak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett. View Post
When schools opened back in September, cases immediately began to soar, opening them now would be nothing short of insane


Schools will be still spreading the virus around even now ... staff are In full time ..we have 130 plus pupils in each day so including staff there must be 200 people all mixing together in classrooms ( classes of 25 pupils plus 3 staff) .. no masks being worn apart from in corridors.

Then everyone goes home to the families and many pupils are still mixing in the evenings .

Last year staff were working one week on three and we had around 20 pupils per day .

Now the virus is more virulent, contagious and dangerous we are cramming the pupils in and staff working full time with Ofsted looming in the shadows


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Zizu; 25-01-2021 at 01:42 PM.
Zizu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 01:45 PM   #1416
Niamh.
I Love my brick
 
Niamh.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Ireland-The peoples Republic of Cork!
Posts: 130,366

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons
CBB22: Kirstie Alley
CBB21: Shane Lynch


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Less population
I mean stayed low compared to our previous figures not compared to any other countries
__________________

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post



Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 01:54 PM   #1417
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 113,819
Default

arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 02:03 PM   #1418
Toy Soldier
User banned
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 24,785
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett. View Post
When schools opened back in September, cases immediately began to soar, opening them now would be nothing short of insane
Again as I always say when this comes up - Scottish schools opened several weeks prior to English schools opening, and yet cases in Scotland and England started to increase at almost exactly the same time which serves as fairly convincing (albeit purely observational) evidence that schools were not the turning point, as whatever the major turning point was, it MUST be held in common by both countries.

I'm not even arguing for premature re-opening; it does make sense to take as many precautions as possible, but I also think there's a risk in OVER stating the effect of schools, as it stops people looking elsewhere for the real causes of cases shooting up.
__________________

___________________________________


Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 02:07 PM   #1419
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 113,819
Default



https://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...se-prices.html
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 02:10 PM   #1420
Toy Soldier
User banned
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 24,785
Blog Entries: 1


Default

The long-term effect of prolonged school closures can't be underestimated though. I think it makes sense to keep them closed now that vaccination offers hope, and there's a potential "end game" in play where we can wait it out one last time and then deal with the damage.

However, in a scenario where the vaccinations for whatever reason don't fully bring an end to the lockdown situation by the end of the summer, schools need to reopen next August/September and they need to stay open. Whether than means altering breaks for fewer, longer breaks (to act as "circuit breakers") or whatever. Schools can't stay closed for years on end, it simply isn't feasible.
__________________

___________________________________


Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 02:11 PM   #1421
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 113,819
Default

arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 02:13 PM   #1422
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 113,819
Default

Johnson Prime minister is to go to Scotland some time this week,

He will not let folks like TS know,
when.

Ending:Politics Live BBC2HD

Last edited by arista; 25-01-2021 at 03:19 PM.
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 04:24 PM   #1423
arista
Senior Member
 
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 113,819
Default

Israel
has Closed it's borders

Except trade,


Does not want any more Variants entering their nations.


Good Move.
arista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 05:00 PM   #1424
Cherie
Cherie Bomb 2020
 
Cherie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 48,390
Blog Entries: 1

Favourites:
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian
CBB22: Hardeep Singh Kohli


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
The long-term effect of prolonged school closures can't be underestimated though. I think it makes sense to keep them closed now that vaccination offers hope, and there's a potential "end game" in play where we can wait it out one last time and then deal with the damage.

However, in a scenario where the vaccinations for whatever reason don't fully bring an end to the lockdown situation by the end of the summer, schools need to reopen next August/September and they need to stay open. Whether than means altering breaks for fewer, longer breaks (to act as "circuit breakers") or whatever. Schools can't stay closed for years on end, it simply isn't feasible.
They should have made temporary alterations to term times last September, there is no need to be shut for 6 weeks in July and August when virus numbers are going to be low and open all winter, they should have taken 4 weeks of the summer holidays and added it to the Christmas and Feb half term breaks
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuff me dizzy View Post
Terrible place and the prices were stupid for a potato
Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2021, 05:00 PM   #1425
bitontheslide
self-oscillating
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 25,094

Favourites:
BB19: Sian


Default

we have a constantly evolving scenario so it makes it difficult to pin exact causes on covid spread. The new variant started in my area and during the lockdown at the end of last year, our infection rate absolutely soared from being really low. Schools were clearly not helping as they were still open when most of everything else was shut down. My contrived conclusion from that is that the new variant in conjunction with school type mixing caused a massive spike, schools were open and infection rate was low all the way up to November. So, i don't think schools open in themselves is the issue, schools open with new variant seems to be nasty combination.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
5pm, coronavirus, drhopkins, familys, flow, free, health, home, lateral, live, outbreak, prof, secretary, secretary or, testing, tests, vantam or

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:42 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
no new posts