Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 20-12-2020, 11:23 AM #26
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan. View Post
Spoiler:

I cried
It was sooo sad!

Spoiler:

and Luke and R2!!!

Oliver_W is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 03:37 PM #27

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Favourites:

Don't keep up with her social media so this came as a surprise.
Jordan. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 02:51 PM #28
Banned

Banned

Yeah, I didn't realise she was such a nutjob. It's sad, but necessary.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 03:46 PM #29
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Literally no one so far though that has seen baby Yoda knew what he was (besides the people who hired him in the first place) but thanks, that makes more sense now
If I'm remembering the original trilogy right, most people not only didn't know who individual Jedi were... Many of them actually thought that the Jedi / The Force was a myth. Reading between the lines, the most likely explanation is that the Empire - after extinguishing 99.9% of Jedi - also started a "misinformation" campaign to make people doubt they were ever real. Most people wouldn't have seen one first hand. Also most of the planets The Mandalorian is set on are sort of run down "backwater" places where they would know even less about it.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:38 PM #30

I started watching this now I have Disney+. I've seen the first four episodes so far. It's alright but to be honest it's not a show that gets me hitting play on the next episode.

A lot of walking through deserts in the first 3 episodes with the occasional Peckinpah-ish shootout. Fourth one reminded me of an old Stargate SG-1 episode where they have to help a group of people defend their village.

I'd already seen the baby Yoda memes so that wasn't a surprise. I don't think having the main character behind a mask all the time helps either. Which is quite ironic now I suppose.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 04:39 PM #31
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post
I started watching this now I have Disney+. I've seen the first four episodes so far. It's alright but to be honest it's not a show that gets me hitting play on the next episode.

A lot of walking through deserts in the first 3 episodes with the occasional Peckinpah-ish shootout. Fourth one reminded me of an old Stargate SG-1 episode where they have to help a group of people defend their village.

I'd already seen the baby Yoda memes so that wasn't a surprise. I don't think having the main character behind a mask all the time helps either. Which is quite ironic now I suppose.
Personally I though it got much better in Season 2

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 05:45 PM #32
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan. View Post

Don't keep up with her social media so this came as a surprise.
Shame really, the cry-bullies have been after her blood for ages, it sucks that toxic fandom got what it wanted :/

She's not exactly wrong - trying to dehumanise people for their views is a tad Nazi-esque.

Star Wars official twitter was happy to White Knight for the host of their little YouTube show after she was called out for her racist tweets, Disney basically supported a concentration camp while making Mulan, and they minimised Finn's presence in SW to bend the knee for China ... But a strong woman dares to leave the reservation and that's too much?

Old 12-02-2021, 06:00 PM #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Personally I though it got much better in Season 2
I'll stick with it.
Old 12-02-2021, 06:20 PM #34
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
If I'm remembering the original trilogy right, most people not only didn't know who individual Jedi were... Many of them actually thought that the Jedi / The Force was a myth. Reading between the lines, the most likely explanation is that the Empire - after extinguishing 99.9% of Jedi - also started a "misinformation" campaign to make people doubt they were ever real.
I think the Prequels could have done with a "sceptical friend". Someone who joins Obi Wan, Anakin , and Padme on various adventures but thinks Jedi are nothing but sword-wielding ambassadors. Like, Han Solo never really seemed to think much of the Force, and Luke was his best mate! Knowing that Jedi exist(ed) and believing in the validity if the Force needn't go hand in hand.

Edit: the Imperial officer who Vader chokes at the meeting in New Hope said something about Vader being all that remained of that ancient religion, so I'm guessing people not immediately involved with the Jedi would have known they exist, but not that the Force is tangible.

Last edited by Oliver_W; 12-02-2021 at 06:31 PM.
Old 13-02-2021, 03:18 PM #35
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
Shame really, the cry-bullies have been after her blood for ages, it sucks that toxic fandom got what it wanted :/

She's not exactly wrong - trying to dehumanise people for their views is a tad Nazi-esque.

Star Wars official twitter was happy to White Knight for the host of their little YouTube show after she was called out for her racist tweets, Disney basically supported a concentration camp while making Mulan, and they minimised Finn's presence in SW to bend the knee for China ... But a strong woman dares to leave the reservation and that's too much?
She was wrong, she was trying to make out that masks don't work in the middle of a ****ing global pandemic, it's funny you chose not to mention that in this ridiculous defense of a moron who only has herself to blame. Trying to make out that she was victimised by others for her own mistake is utter lunacy, she said a number of dumb and damaging things in a position where she represents a property in the public eye. She wasn't victimised because she's a republican, she was sacked for bringing a property into disrepute by spreading falsities about a global pandemic, about comparing the plight of jews in Nazi Germany to being a modern day republican, because being gassed to death for your religion is somehow the same as people having an opposing opinion, according to Gina.

Do try to contain your right wing victim complex, Oliver, you have not suffered anything comparable to the jews for having right wing views and it's an utter farce to make out that people criticising your views is enough to equate them to nazis. The right wing complains about the idea of echo chambers and safe spaces but they are the ones most in need of both and always have been.

Let's not pretend that you care about Gina because you think she's a strong woman, you wouldn't have said a damn thing if she got sacked for stating left wing views, so don't try to falsely invoke feminism to try to turn this moron who made her choices into a victim of other people. Everything you've said here, as usual, is incredibly disingenuous and outright detached from reality.
Old 13-02-2021, 03:34 PM #36
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

She hasn't dragged it into "disrepute" at all, most people aren't on twitter, and most don't soil themselves from outrage whenever someone says something they disagree with.

Old 13-02-2021, 03:43 PM #37

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
She hasn't dragged it into "disrepute" at all, most people aren't on twitter, and most don't soil themselves from outrage whenever someone says something they disagree with.
Nope but in her case they just play the victim and compare themselves to ACTUAL victims of the holocaust.
Jordan. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-02-2021, 03:46 PM #38
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Best leave that to the right wing when someone has an opposing opinion.

Do you not live in reality? If you are representing something and you say something that is anti-semitic or spreads misinformation about a pandemic, then you are damaging the brand you represent. Oh, and since I know you're gonna ask what she has said that is anti-semitic, comparing right wingers getting upset over opposing opinions to the mass murder of jews in WW2 is downplaying the suffering that those people went through, it's downplaying atrocities that took place, therefore I consider it anti-semitic.

If you're going to put people at risk by spreading misinformation about masks or disparage jewish people when you are representing someone, you have to be prepared that whoever you a representing will not want to be associated with you.

It's common sense really but common sense isn't so common among the right wing.

Last edited by Tom4784; 13-02-2021 at 03:48 PM.
Old 13-02-2021, 04:21 PM #39
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
Oh, and since I know you're gonna ask what she has said that is anti-semitic, comparing right wingers getting upset over opposing opinions to the mass murder of jews in WW2 is downplaying the suffering that those people went through, it's downplaying atrocities that took place, therefore I consider it anti-semitic.
Then most of the nutcases who call everyone Nazis must also be antisemetic?

Old 13-02-2021, 04:24 PM #40
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

The anti-mask stuff is admittedly idiotic. But making Nazi comparisons seems to be par for the course in Hollywood haha

Old 13-02-2021, 04:56 PM #41
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Then most of the nutcases who call everyone Nazis must also be antisemetic?
Are they comparing their own non-plights to that of the jews? If so, than yes. If they are criticising a government's actions then I don't think the nazi comparison is wrong, dependant on the circumstances.

Trying to spin the situation to both sides it won't work, like it never has in the past.
Old 13-02-2021, 05:19 PM #42
-

-

To be honest I'm not a huge fan of "firing" without a chance for education, it seems largely fruitless... nothing I've seen of her comments thus far goes past "really stupid thing to say" and into the territory of "actually damaging" and thus, I think it would be more helpful if production offered some sort of education about the problem with saying certain things / acceptable social media conduct. If the person involves carries on as they were after that then by all means, get rid.

It's a complicated one though because as far as I can tell, she's not actually in-contract right now, so she hasn't technically been "fired", they just won't include the character in future seasons.
Old 13-02-2021, 05:47 PM #43
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
To be honest I'm not a huge fan of "firing" without a chance for education, it seems largely fruitless... nothing I've seen of her comments thus far goes past "really stupid thing to say" and into the territory of "actually damaging" and thus, I think it would be more helpful if production offered some sort of education about the problem with saying certain things / acceptable social media conduct. If the person involves carries on as they were after that then by all means, get rid.

It's a complicated one though because as far as I can tell, she's not actually in-contract right now, so she hasn't technically been "fired", they just won't include the character in future seasons.
I agree that someone at Disney should have had a little word about online conduct, especially when idiots launched the harassment campaign about listing her pronouns on twitter.

But then ... Does she look like someone who'd be intimidated by keyboard warriors?

Old 14-02-2021, 11:38 PM #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by James View Post

Update - I liked episode 5 better.
Old 15-02-2021, 12:37 AM #45
-

-

I get what you mean really with the Stargate reference - Mandalorian sort of harks back to the days when TV episodes were often "standalone stories" and there was a sort of vague underlying plot that would usually pick up at the start of a season, mid season, then for season finales etc... Things like Stargate, X-files, etc.

It's less usual these days, most shows have individual episode "themes" but are firmly based on season-long story arcs that feature in every episode.

I actually like it for Mandalorian though, it sort of feels like building "a legend", like no one really knows much about him as a person but these stories/folklore almost gets passed around. I think it's likely deliberate, the title sequences sort of play into that theme, like they sort of look like illustrations in a book or encyclopedia.

I do also agree that it took about half a season to find its feet for me as well, the second half of S1 was notably more gripping than the first.
Old 17-02-2021, 10:09 PM #46
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

There's a pretty hefty Change.org petition for Disney to rehire her

I'm not gonna sign it, because that would be lending credibility to the Rat as an organisation with any morals to begin with, but I think they underestimated her popularity, and normal people definitely don't care that someone puts silly pronouns in her boops twitter bio and says dumb things

https://www.change.org/p/walt-disney...re-gina-carano

Old 17-02-2021, 10:37 PM #47
-

-

Yeah having read up, on balance, her comments were worthy of a warning but not instant removal. It does feel like a move made out of fear of a backlash, rather than a moral stance. I don't like it.
Old 28-04-2021, 11:59 AM #48

I got round to watching the second series because my 3-month Disney trial is coming to an end, and yeah, I found season 2 a lot better.

I think the turning point in the series was the fourth episode of S2 with Carl Weathers. I got the old-school Star Wars fun from that episode. I liked the main character a lot more also this time.
Old 21-07-2021, 01:34 PM #49
TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

have been watching the first few episodes of this

find it quite nice

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.

Spoiler:

Israel we Love You
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-01-2023, 11:52 AM #50

March 3rd. I'll probably restart my Disney+ subscription to watch it.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
disney, mandalorian, season, spoilers