Notices

Music This forum is for discussing artists, singles, albums, the charts and anything music-related.

Old 27-02-2021, 08:08 AM #1
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Post The 250 Greatest Songs of the 21st Century [An Arbitrary List, #10-1]

I've had this file sitting on my laptop since 2019, of songs that I considered to be the best of the century so far. As such: it's missing a lot of music from 2020... so I guess it could be interpreted as a "Best of 2000-2019"... twenty years of music, etc.

I've been chopping and adding to the list at random over the past year or two and - let's be honest - the whole thing is meaningless and not really concrete at all. There are a good 1000 other songs that, on a good day, could wriggle their way into this list because of personal attachment, objective banger status, or artistic merit. I also tried to keep the list pretty diverse: the most one particular artist will pop up in this countdown is thrice. Otherwise this pretty much becomes a Sufjan Stevens, Beyonce and Kanye West love-in.

All that preamble out of the way... we'll be taking this ten songs at a time! Feel free to share your thoughts on the songs... do they conjure nostalgia? are they complete unknowns? are your comments going to be unanswered because of the ignore list? So many mysteries! So many songs!

Spoiler:

#250 - "Rock Star (Jason Nevins Remix)" by N*E*R*D

Fresh off the back of producing one of the 90s' biggest remixes (Run DMC's "It's Like That"), Nevins loaned his hand to this random N*E*R*D single and set off a wave of copycat dance-rock bangers at the start of the century. Pharrell Williams actually sounds relatively cool here... or at least, in a 2002 "appearing on soundtracks for snowboarding and racing video games" kind of way.

#249 - "Watch The Sun Come Up" by Example

There was actually a brief period where Example was capable of releasing extremely enjoyable singles! Emphasis on the brief. This song was one of a handful that defined 2009 for me... not necessarily in a good way, but... it's a pretty song.

#248 - "Be The One" by Dua Lipa

As I've already mentioned, I composed this list waaay before Dua Lipa went and brought back disco in a major way last year... so I was working with scraps when it came to her pop material and this - her very first single, I believe?* - is by far my favourite. It's breezy, summery, seductive and wonderful. *It was her second. Well... ****.

#247 - "Daniel" by Bat for Lashes

Both of BFL's best songs are titles consisting of just a person's forename, and it was really difficult to choose between this and the stunning ballad 'Laura'. This eventually won out for being more identifiable as her signature style: a slice of 2000s indie-pop that was released with a cover of The Cure's A Forest. A pretty good companion, sonically.

#246 - "Reptilia" by The Strokes

Picking two Strokes songs for this list was pretty much impossible, since Is This It? and Room on Fire are so stacked with excellence... this was my pick off the latter since it's just got endless guitar highlights and a bassline that thuds away underneath in a captivating way.

#245 - "Open" by Rhye

Perhaps now better known as "that song off the dating website advert" (I don't remember which one, sorry, but it always catches me off guard), this has been slowly ebbing away at me since 2013 and making me swoon and swell in slightly embarrassing ways.

#244 - "Style" by Taylor Swift

I have to get her out of the way early because whilst there's no denying her impact since 2009, very little of her music has stuck with me in a significant way. As such: here's her best pop song, taken from 2014's 1989. Punchy lyrics, a richly melodramatic synthpop backing, and still just as catchy as it was seven years ago.

#243 - "D.A.N.C.E." by Justice

For a brief period between 2005 and 2010, French act Justice had the world in their talented hands. Aside from their many, many remixes of hits from that period (Klaxons, Franz Ferdinand, Justin Timberlake, MGMT) they also released a hugely-successful album called † and set the world dancing.

#242 - "Let's Make Love And Listen to Death From Above" by CSS

Brazilian band Cansei de Ser Sexy found unexpected success back in 2005 with their debut album: this single really encapsulated their appeal and set off around Europe and America thanks to their tours with Diplo (who himself pretty much defined a lot of 2000s alternative pop). The album was, sadly, very much a one-off - the band have released three others that are largely crap. But this was a wonderful time capsule of how indie really did take over the world, and is one of those immediately-recognisable hits from that era.

#241 - "Heartbreak (Make Me A Dancer)" by Freemasons & Sophie Ellis-Bextor

Despite having a string of extremely enjoyable solo hits, Sophie Ellis-Bextor makes this list twice for collaborations she did with dance and electronic acts. Her voice really lends itself well to floorfillers, and this was no exception: the last of Freemasons' singles to hit the charts (and it apparently dominated in Europe for a while, which is lovely!) came at the tail-end of 2009, crowning off a stellar decade for both the producers and herself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Last edited by Shaun; 06-03-2021 at 08:10 PM.
Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 08:31 AM #2
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

......I love these type of lists that you do...there will be so many that I’m not familiar with and it always gives me the opportunity to do that and sometimes, to listen to artists more in depth......and also it reminds us to revisit great songs that we haven’t thought about for a while...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 08:33 AM #3
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Omg I just added SEB to my AM the other day

A bop

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 11:36 AM #4
Sod orf

Sod orf

Seasick Steve wins.
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 12:59 PM #5
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy View Post
Omg I just added SEB to my AM the other day

A bop
Same! Bittersweet is a banger
Jake. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 01:02 PM #6
Who, Douglas?

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis
Who, Douglas?

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis

Be the one by dua lipa is her best song I agree

New Love Island least faves: Kaz, Tyler, Faye, Sharon, Rachel

Sig images and links removed for rule breaking - TiBB Staff
DouglasS is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 01:07 PM #7

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Amber

Why do you dislike Taylor Swift so much?
Elliot is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-02-2021, 04:16 PM #8
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

she (and you for raising the question) is exhausting. NEXT.

Quote:

Old 28-02-2021, 08:45 AM #9
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

240-231
Spoiler:

#240 - "Home" by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros

Whilst there's certainly a thick layer of "corniness" about this song, there're few more unique and sing-along-able to come out of the past fifteen years and there's something just inherently sweet and nostalgic about it, from the very first whistle to the horns.

#239 - "Everybody Wants to Be Famous" by Superorganism

One of the most recent singles that managed to argue its way into this list came from the little-known Superorganism. I love their whole sound, it's very The Go! Team, very CSS and a little bit of Gorillaz thrown in for good measure. This track really deserved to hit charts; it's just so effortlessly catchy and full of hooks.

#238 - "When I Grow Up" by The Pussycat Dolls

Picking one of the Pussycat Dolls' singles was a difficult task: in a sense they're all pretty much the same, and a lot of them were just annoying (I'm sorry, Stickwitu!) But back in 2008, they came back with a second album and this was its lead: a commanding pop banger that perfectly encapsulates the ridiculousness that was mid-2000s celebrity culture. The song is probably the most-performed drag queen number of all time, too.

#237 - "The Bay" by Metronomy

The music video is literally filmed in my hometown and does a marvellous job of making it look like a nice place to live, so I had to include it by virtue of encapsulating my upbringing.... but it's also just a wonderfully groovy song and the whole album it came from is worth checking out.

#236 - "All Night Long" by Alexandra Burke

Before embarking on a career in linguistics and introducing the UK to the concept of an "elephant in the room", Alexandra Burke had a fruitful string of hits at the start of the 2010s. This was her peak: a swooning club anthem that really didn't need a Pitbull feature but got one anyway.

#235 - "Battlefield" by Jordin Sparks

From one talent show discovery to another: American Idol didn't really launch many careers but there aren't many that could've competed with a pop-ballad as strong as this one. Most pop songs on this list will be very much cases of "songs that I think would be performed very dramatically on a Drag Race lipsync", and the vocal runs on display here are perfect.

#234 - "Young Blood" by The Naked and Famous

I am struggling to recall a song that was used in more promotional material for BBC Three programming than this one: a wonderful time capsule of 2010's indiepop boom that saw the likes of Two Door Cinema Club, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and Florence + the Machine become pretty much inescapable when channel-hopping. This song particularly stands out: a pretty simple hook, really.

#233 - "Unforgettable" by French Montana & Swae Lee

There was a brief period in 2017 when it seemed like the dominant force in music might actually shift to dancehall over trap. Unfortunately, the wrong decision was made, because if the charts today were dominated with derivatives of this they'd be a ****ing ****-ton more tolerable. I can't say I've really followed either of their careers since this, but... this was one of the songs of the year and just... so, so catchy and understated.

#232 - "Somewhere Only We Know" by Keane

It is easy to forget just how huge Keane were in 2004 because it's the sort of stratospheric radio presence and chart domination that we would typically associate with Coldplay, Muse or U2. The band were often derided as being incredibly uncool, producing bland albums and boring everyone to tears who was forced to listen to BBC Radio 2 at work... but there's no denying they had a handful of wonderful songs. Ten years on, this would go on to top the charts with Lily Allen's John Lewis christmas advert.

#231 - "Move Your Feet" by Junior Senior

I was twelve when this came out and even though I was raised on a diet of the Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys and Aqua... this is probably the catchiest thing I had ever heard at that point. Junior Senior were a Danish duo that never really matched the majesty of this #3 single, but then... how on earth would you? I did enjoy their follow-up "Rhythm Bandits" though.

Quote:

Last edited by Shaun; 06-03-2021 at 08:11 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:43 AM #10
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

230-221
Spoiler:

#230 - "Closer" by Tegan and Sara

Tegan and Sara have spanned the entirety of the twenty-first century (and a couple of years prior) trying their hand at a ton of different styles of pop, but fully embraced the cheese in 2012 with the build-up to their album Heartthrob. This was the twins' most raucous and earwormy single of all time, and is just explosive fun.

#229 - "Glowed Up" by KAYTRANADA & Anderson .Paak

99.9% was one of my favourite 2016 albums (and that's saying something in a year stacked with Lemonade, Blonde, Blackstar, A Seat at the Table, A Moon Shaped Pool, Anti and Coloring Book)... and this was my favourite track from it. This eerie, extraterrestial-sounding, 808-heavy jam is a perfect backdrop for Paak to deliver his signature style and the whole thing is this alien experience that's fascinating.

#228 - "Feel So Close" by Calvin Harris

Harris is, of course, known for collaborating with just about every huge popstar around over the past ten years. He's seen mega-hits with Rihanna, Dua Lipa, Ariana Grande, Ellie Goulding and Florence + the Machine, and many of those hits are fantastic indeed... but there's something about his singles where he displays his own voice that endear themselves to me more. This single, the follow-up to Kelis' wonderful Bounce, was pretty much everywhere during my time at university and it was just very euphoric.

#227 - "Don't Look Back Into The Sun" by The Libertines

It honestly seems a lifetime away from the days where Pete Doherty would be plastered all over the tabloids for two hundred different crimes and drug sprees... and as a result his music can feel like something of a relic. This, his biggest hit with the Libertines, is pretty much synonymous with that whole 2000s indie-rock craze, and it's also impossible to think of Gavin and Stacey without hearing that intro fire up in your head.

#226 - "Thank You" by Jamelia

This is a harder song to justify because the reason it stuck with me for so long (and still does) is so esoteric and random, lol - I remember having this CD/radio player that looked very futuristic and compact at the time (it was 2003), and would laze around on my new bunk bed (with a pull-out sofa bed underneath the top bunk) listening to it all the time. For some reason, this song sticks out as a fond memory... it's emotionally forthright, a fine vocal, and one of those embarrassing little instances of being a 13 year old and pretending to relate to emotional abuse and breakups

#225 - "We'll Live and Die In These Towns" by The Enemy

Basically the 2000s' version of The Jam's That's Entertainment!... but it certainly has its own charms and is a very pretty and poignant indictment of how futile British life can seem sometimes.

#224 - "Nothing In This World" by Paris Hilton

The tabloids spent most of the 2000s trying their damnedest to ruin the lives of the likes of Lindsay Lohan, Britney Spears and this lady and whilst her appeal at the time was certainly questionable (no discernable talent, that awful "stop being poor" t-shirt), there is no denying that this is a fantastic pop song.

#223 - "Good Times Gonna Come" by Aqualung

Okay, so I spent my latter teenage years growing up on the Skins soundtrack and as a result, this song sticks out like a sore thumb. This featured in the episode that centred around Maxxie's stalker "Sketch", and I guess I was fascinated by the bleak, emotionally-damaged melodrama of it all. Aqualung were a shortlived band best known for their single 'Strange and Beautiful' (which peaked at #7.)

#222 - "Misery Business" by Paramore

For some reason, I didn't really 'get' Paramore at the time they were their hugest: back in 2007 this was absolutely everywhere and I guess I subconsciously associated it with all of the annoying girls who'd wear 200 wristbands and have xD </3 in their MSN usernames. Looking back... this was a cultural reset

#221 - "Black and Gold" by Sam Sparro

This sounded so ****ing cool in 2008, and honestly still does.

Quote:

Old 01-03-2021, 04:23 PM #11

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Miz Biz
Jordan. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 12:48 PM #12
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

220-211
Spoiler:

#220 - "All The Things She Said" by t.A.T.u.

Did lesbians even exist before this cultural landmark? I am transported back to the smell of smoke machines at school discos, where I wore jeans with chains on them and black shirts with flames. My hair was probably gelled to high heavens. We "moshed" to the likes of this and Sum 41. It was a simpler time (I might've placed this higher, had it not transpired that the Russian duo weren't in fact lesbians, and one of them is actually pretty openly homophobic and repulsive. Stan the other one though!).

#219 - "Solo Dancing" by Indiana

An entire music video full of euphemisms for masturbation, culminating in flicking a picture of Mr. Bean? Wonderful. The song is a dark house/pop banger and I often forget how good it is.

#218 - "New York" by Paloma Faith

Since her breakthrough in 2009, Paloma Faith has pretty much trot out the same album four or five times and expected different results... Einstein penned that as the definition of insanity. For a brief moment though, her music was utterly charming and her voice was showcased on the best songs of her career: this was my favourite, by virtue of being impossibly beautiful and heartwrenching.

#217 - "Climax" by Usher

As someone who has gone through a multitude of genre shifts since his early-90s days, it was kinda difficult to pinpoint a favourite Usher song. There were some real nadirs; remember 'OMG?' remember discovering Justin Bieber? But it came down to a toss-up between the anthemic 'Yeah!', the eurodance banger 'DJ Got Us Falling In Love' and this... I opted for this; a more recent, understated Usher that showcases his phenomenal voice with a lilting, ebbing electronic beat.

#216 - "Lush Life" by Zara Larsson

One of many 2010s examples of an explosive pop debut by a promising new star followed up by teems upon teems of disappointment came in 2015 with this; Lush Life is one of those perfect pop songs where every different segment is as catchy and memorable as the last.

#215 - "Retrograde" by James Blake

Having written off his debut record with a petulant and immature swipe, I don't really know why this (and its accompanying album) really changed my mind so suddenly. The synths in this are so hypnotic and mesmeric.

#214 - "Begin Again" by Purity Ring

Speaking of perfect synths... I hadn't actually seen this music video before, and giving the song a visual of vampiric rituals of old/young sacrifice is a deft touch. I already just loved the song though: it pounds away menacingly.

#213 - "Danger! High Voltage" by Electric Six

I am hard-pressed to recall a more bat**** insane moment in 2000s music. I don't understand how the band were allowed to get away with this music video... but the song itself is just this fantastic, camp nonsense (...gates of hell... Taco Bell!) that I've only just discovered features Jack White (of the White Stripes) as the vocal of the woman in the video.

#212 - "My Number One" by Helena Paparizou

The early 2000s in Eurovision were heavily defined by this Turkish sound infiltrating into pretty much every entry.. and when done right, it resulted in perfect, indisputable winners like this. Greece's 2005 entry won by a landslide, and deservedly so.

#211 - "Bad Girls" by M.I.A.

Without a doubt one of the coolest music videos of all time, and the song isn't far behind.

Quote:

Old 02-03-2021, 12:54 PM #13
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

Adding loads of these bops that id forgotten about to my AM

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 10:16 AM #14
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Glad to be bringing up relics!

210-201
Spoiler:

#210 - "Round and Round" by Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti

I really enjoyed this album (and 'Mature Themes' too) so it was pretty disparaging to discover the creative force behind the band is a Trump supporting abusive dick

#209 - "Plug In Baby" by Muse

I am now so entirely alienated from the idea of being a 'Muse fan' (they have been diabolical since 2009, and were for most of that year too) that it's very easy to overlook how fantastic the albums Absolution and Black Holes and Revelations were... but my favourite was always 2001's Origin of Symmetry. I was 11 years old and boys at school (and older brothers) were lapping them up, and this song sticks out as a particular highlight. I wanted to put 'Bliss' or 'New Born' in instead but they were later discoveries for me... but that run of singles from 2000 until 2007 is just... *chef's kiss*

#208 - "5 Dollars" by Christine and the Queens

It was probably quite low down the list of probabilities that one of the musicians from the past decade that has the broadest appeal should be a French woman with a penchant for breaking gender norms. It still feels very much like she's very much on the ascent; every album seems to get better and her artistry is only getting more compelling. This track, from her last LP, is my favourite of hers... immaculately produced, heartily sung and full of emotion.

#207 - "Miasma Sky" by Baths

I remember loving the hell out of Baths' 2012 album, but he seems to have gone completely off my radar since... so as a result, this track feels like something of a time capsule of electronic creativity. I'm now looking him up and vaguely remembering 2017's Romaplasm (but I believe I found it something of a let-down?) I don't know. I do know that this song is transfixing.

#206 - "Electric Lady" by Janelle Monáe and Solange

I've loved Janelle Monáe since she danced her way onto our TV screens with coverage of 2011's Glastonbury festival (well, I loved the album before that, but shut up). Her performance of the hits from her breakthrough record 'The ArchAndroid (Suites II and III)' really stood out and earned her a cult following that only grew and grew. 2013's The Electric Lady was a real event: a masterclass in funk, R&B and soul that boasted collaborations with Erykah Badu, Miguel and... oh, just Prince. This title track with Solange was just... so, so good. I just hope her burgeoning acting career doesn't hinder the music, because 2018's Dirty Computer, whilst very good, felt... a little less creative than we've grown accustomed to

#205 - "Love On My Mind" by Freemasons and Amanda Wilson

I've already mentioned my infatuation with the Freemasons' grip on dance music in the 2000s, and it all started with this 2005 single. It would go on to create a tsunami of excellent singles, and infamous remixes of the likes of Beyonce, Shakira, Kelly Rowland and Kylie Minogue. This itself is a reworking of a 1979 disco hit, 'This Time Baby' by Jackie Moore but given a contemporary lease of life and turned into a floorfiller. I... really miss that period of UK music

#204 - "Point of View" by DB Boulevard

Every time this song comes on I am immediately transported back to 2001 and being an annoying ****ing child replaying the same songs, over and over, on my copy of Now! 51 on my walkman This hit #3 in the UK, and turned Italian singer Monica Bragato (otherwise known as 'Moony') into an overnight star. Pretty well deserved, because her voice on this is just honey.

#203 - "Crying Lightning" by Arctic Monkeys

I had to whittle down the Arctic Monkeys to two songs in the end to make this list, and this is the first... I remember feeling somewhat disappointed with 2009's Humbug, so much so that for a while it really clouded my judgment of most of its contents. Its lead single was this, this insane lyric of rhymes that come out of nowhere and a menacing, pulsing guitar riff.

#202 - "Good As Hell" by Lizzo

To many, she is the woman who took over the world with 'Juice' and 'Truth Hurts'. To the gays, she'd already conquered because of this.

#201 - "Rabbit Heart (Raise It Up)" by Florence + the Machine

I was in a pretty bad place, psychologically, in 2009, so I guess the idea of this Midsommaresque setting of pagan sacrifice tapped into a wandering and dramatic mind. Lungs was one of the year's biggest albums with good reason; it was just... unique. Some genres come and go, but no one made or makes music that sounds the same as her.

Quote:

Last edited by Shaun; 06-03-2021 at 08:12 PM.
Old 06-03-2021, 08:44 PM #15
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

I just realised this thread is probably hella slow to load for people with dodgy internet connections, so I've put all the videos/placings in spoilers so people can open them at leisure without getting annoyed at Sam Sparro taking so long to load.

200-191
Spoiler:

#200 - "My Love" by Justin Timberlake & T.I.

Something about being a popstar called Justin makes you a bit of an insufferable asshole with more terrible output than good... but there was a brief period in the mid-2000s where Timberlake was definitely good. With Timbaland at the helm at the peak of his production powers, he released the genuinely-fantastic album FutureSex/LoveSounds. 'SexyBack', 'What Goes Around...' and 'Lovestoned' were all fantastic singles, but my favourite was this.

#199 - "It's Not My Fault, I'm Happy" by Passion Pit

Passion Pit have been a favourite band of mine for a long time (although the quality is starting to wane ) because of their poppy sounds, their ear for a good hook, and their forthright and emotional lyrics; frontman Michael Angelakos has been upfront about his struggles with bipolar disorder and that sort of all culminated in this track towards the end of their second album, Gossamer. The song to me rings with this sense of trying to put on a good front whilst you're struggling, and happened to come out at a time when I was, so that was cathartic.

#198 - "Get Away" by Yuck

The band Yuck recently announced that they were formally splitting ten years after the release of the self-titled album that featured this, but to be honest the band pretty much fell apart the second frontman Daniel Blumberg left in 2013. Still, the debut album was genuinely fantastic and full of singalong grunge/pop belters like this.

#197 - "Super Bass" by Nicki Minaj

The single that launched her into the stratosphere. It is hard to imagine a 2010s pop landscape that didn't begin with Super Bass... because it was so ubiquitous and wonderful, and defined a period of time. I don't know many times I tried to keep up with the lyrics when drunk with uni housemates. I did rather ruin the song for myself though when I tried to record a parody of it for TiBB

#196 - "Time Of My Life" by Patrick Wolf

I am a little worried as to where Patrick Wolf has actually gone, because I don't remember him releasing anything after 2011's Lupercalia this was one of my songs of that year, though; a wonderfully dramatic strings arrangement underpinning it all.

#195 - "Jealousy" by Will Young

One of those sadbangers that still feels fresh every time I hear it. Very much in the same league as Robyn, and his voice lends itself well to electro-pop.

#194 - "Braveheart" by Neon Jungle

The fact that the UK gave up on this girlband in favour of ****ing Little Mix remains one of the biggest injustices this side of the slave trade.

#193 - "Swimming Pools (Drank)" by Kendrick Lamar

Truth be told, I still feel a tinge of disappointment when this comes on and it isn't the Mutya Keisha Siobhan cover of it, but the real magic behind the song is in its production so it doesn't matter too much.

#192 - "1901" by Phoenix

French band Phoenix have been at the forefront of the whole indie-disco movement since the mid 2000s and haven't really gone off the rails at all. They hit their poppiest peak in 2009 with the release of Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix, and this was one of their biggest singles.

#191 - "If I Ain't Got You" by Alicia Keys

In spite of that bloody awful stint welcoming in the new year for 2021 on the BBC, Keys has a broad appeal and has endured whilst many R&B fads have come and gone since her breakthrough hit Fallin'. I struggled to pick a favourite song of hers because there are a lot of great ones, but this one is probably her best vocal masterclass.

Quote:

Old 07-03-2021, 12:52 AM #16
Marc

Favourites (more):
BB10: Marcus
BB6: Science

Marc

Favourites (more):
BB10: Marcus
BB6: Science

Some solid choices
Babayaro. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:03 PM #17
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

cheers lad

190-181
Spoiler:

#190 - "I Love It" by Icona Pop and Charli XCX

Back in 2013, Charli XCX was fixated with topping the charts and briefly turned to releasing the cheesiest, poppiest crap imaginable... and I mean that as a compliment. Penning this for the Swedish pair finally saw that dream become a reality, and what a wonderful banger it was Wherever Icona Pop are now, we light a candle for them. (But no seriously they released like 5 or 6 other wonderful bops and we should never have slept on them!)

#189 - "Let Love Be Your Energy" by Robbie Williams

Williams' grip on the UK music industry's throats for nigh-on twenty years was something that may never really be replicated, but then that's probably because the idea of a male releasing genuinely fantastic pop songs for such a prolonged period of time is alien. It was difficult narrowing down his songs to just one, but I ended up picking one I loved then and still do... 'Let Love Be Your Energy' is an often-forgotten 'fourth single' that had the unenviable task of following up 'Kids', 'Supreme' and 'Rock DJ' but is just a radiant, relentlessly optimistic belter.

#188 - "No Church in the Wild" by Kanye West, Jay-Z, Frank Ocean and The-Dream

Despite their numerous collaborations, and despite Kanye's penchant for releasing an album with just about anyone, there was only one feature-length project between him and Jay-Z and it was the excellent 2011 album Watch the Throne. At the very height of their shared powers, they tackled weighty subjects with wordplay and humour and the highlight (for me, anyway) was this; No Church in the Wild is a firecracker of a production.

#187 - "Coffee" by Miguel

Okay, so on the surface it probably just looks like I love this because the music video is ridiculously sexy and turned Miguel into an instant pin-up... and yeah that is definitely what made me wake up and pay attention. But the song itself is a mix of pulsating beats and crooning vocals that combine to make something gorgeous.

#186 - "Everything is Embarrassing" by Sky Ferreira

Not gonna lie, I'm still pissed off over her taking forever to follow this (and its album, Night Time, My Time) up. It's been 9 ****ing years, Sky! Anyway... this was wonderful.

#185 - "Apocalypse Dreams" by Tame Impala

Another instance where I took a band that I love and struggled for a long time to hand-pick just the one song from them to make the list; Tame Impala have been kings of reviving psychedelic rock since 2010, and for me they really hit their peak in 2012 with Lonerism. This song is both urgent and relaxing; a real slice of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band with a contemporary twist.

#184 - "Seven Nation Army" by The White Stripes

It's impossible to accredit this song with its full impact: it wasn't enough being a fantastic rock record, it had to go on and literally change the way fans chant in a stadium, be they music or football fans. A lot of my list is obviously just personal preference, but if I were to compile a list of the 21st century's most iconic musical moments, this would feature far higher up the list. Also deserves a mention because Jack White is now busy boring music critics to tears with his 30 tedious side-projects rather than honing all of his ideas into something as majestic as this.

#183 - "Magic" by Ladyhawke

When documenting the history of indie-pop artists and their takeover of the charts around 2005-2015, there's one who's often overlooked in favour of your La Rouxs and your Klaxons. New Zealander Ladyhawke released an album in 2008 and it was absolutely brilliant: spawning hit singles like 'Paris is Burning', 'My Delirium' and 'Dusk Till Dawn'. Magic however, remains my favourite.

#182 - "Merry Happy" by Kate Nash

Topping the album charts in 2007 with Made of Bricks, Kate Nash divided the nation between those who were singing about holding onto the cracks in our foundations, and those who found her affected Cockney accent too grating. I'll admit that I found myself flitting between the two moods; perhaps recoiling from her inescapability at the time... but with hindsight, I loved this album and this viciously catchy closer.

#181 - "I'm Not Okay (I Promise)" by My Chemical Romance

The year is 2004, and the emo trend amongst MySpace teenagers is born thanks - almost single-handedly - to My Chemical Romance and their Three Cheers for Sweet Revenge. Although the band were yet to reach their biggest heights, they were still pretty ****ing massive (as evident with the budget of their music videos) and really tugging at the heartstrings of some very confused and angsty kids. This is the song that sticks out most to me from their heyday, but really... there's like 20 others that were all just as great as this.

Quote:

Old 07-03-2021, 05:06 PM #18
Sod orf

Sod orf

I'll come back to this in November, when maybe you've reached the top 10.

I'll also be posting 10 songs that you missed off this list.
Alf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:08 PM #19
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

and I won't be caring

Quote:

Old 07-03-2021, 11:06 PM #20
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
and I won't be caring
Jake. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 11:08 PM #21
User banned

User banned

I’m rooting for Nasty, or Together Again
Janet Jackson is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-03-2021, 06:35 AM #22
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Nasty? the Janet song from 1986?

180-171
Spoiler:

#180 - "Body Party" by Ciara

One of the 21st century's most underrated and enduring singers is Ciara, who's always been the media's second fiddle to Rihanna (a fact not helped by their public spats). There've been a ton of hits I could have picked for her - Goodies, Oh, 1 2 Step, Work, Love Sex Magic - but my favourite came a bit later than her 2000s prime and saw her turn down a more sensual, sexual route. The song interpolates a little bit of "My Boo" by Ghost Town DJs, to great effect.

#179 - "Thursday" by Asobi Seksu

I mentioned earlier the impact that the Skins soundtrack had on my formative years, and the track that stands out with the most affection in my heart was this, which I believe featured on the premiere of the 2nd series. The song is a beautiful chunk of shoegaze, dream-pop, whatever you want to call it: the sort of song you'd see doing the rounds in a "best bits" compilation for a saccharine portion of a TV show.

#178 - "Real Love" by Florrie

The majority of the 2010s (and, I should imagine, the 2020s as well) were or will be spent not at all understanding why certain popstars never really take off or land on the charts. Florrie has been chipping away at the British pop scene for well over a decade now, and this - from 2016 - is the best single of hers that I can recall... but god that's underselling it. This is a shot of adrenaline; a magnificent pop confection that rolls along with gusto.

#177 - "Acapella" by Kelis

Having completely dominated the 2000s with a string of bizarre hits, you might have forgiven Kelis if she bowed out by 2010 with a "back to basics" album. Instead, she reinvented herself again and served up one of the decade's greatest dance records; Flesh Tone came along in 2010 with an insane amount of energy and this was its lead single. The video isn't surprising - she's always been fantastic with visuals - but dedicating a song to her newborn son whilst ushering in an EDM floorfiller? Iconic ****.

#176 - "On the Floor" by Jennifer Lopez and Pitbull

A far more literal floorfiller, you ask? Have this! I am fairly confident that I absolutely hated this song when it came out, and... I don't know what I was thinking (especially since I remember adoring its copycat follow-up, Dance Again, a year or two after this release). I suppose on the surface it's an autotuned nightmare, and Pitbull was a tyrant that would not be overthrown at the time... but it was the soundtrack of the summer of 2011 and with good reason; it's an undeniable earworm and an irresistible urge to dance.

#175 - "Always Like This" by Bombay Bicycle Club

This is very much the dancing portion of my countdown, and I remember this one indie club in my hometown (now gone </3) always putting this on rotation at some point. As such, the song conjures memories of snakebites, piss-stained toilet floors, and putting together terrible dance routines with female friends that just embarrassed other attendees (and ourselves, probably). BBC are still going, but I firmly attach them to the period of 2009-2011 when I was still actually interested in a night out

#174 - "The Bucket" by Kings of Leon

Years before Kings of Leon went briefly stratospheric with the likes of Sex on Fire and Use Somebody, they were a thoroughly enjoyable band that didn't actually get on my tits! It's hard to imagine, now, but they were! This was the lead single from their 2004 album Aha Shake Heartbreak, and is a wonderfully pretty take on the band's brothers vowing to keep going and not kill themselves. I'm really not selling it but it's a song I remember fondly.

#173 - "L.E.S. Artistes" by Santigold

The whole wave of 2006-onward alternative pop wasn't just going on in the UK; across the pond the likes of M.I.A. and this lady were really taking off. In 2008, Santigold released her self-titled debut and with it a slew of hits that corporations would later clamor to use in their adverts. There are few songs that sound truly unique to a particular artist, but this is definitely an example of a defining moment in 21st century music.

#172 - "Left Outside Alone" by Anastacia

It's easy to forget just how huge Anastacia was (particularly in Europe, despite being an American) in the very early 2000s... this was the sixth highest-selling record of 2004 in Europe, and one of the biggest selling of the decade in Australia, and really confirmed her legacy as one of the best power-vocalists of a generation. Every bar on this sounds like the climax, her voice is that commanding and gifted.

#171 - "Naive" by The Kooks

I think this was one of those songs that pretty much everyone in the country loved at the time, but not enough to keep the Kooks in their hearts for more than a couple of albums. 'Naive' was everywhere in 2006

Quote:

Old 08-03-2021, 06:59 AM #23
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...Bombay Bicycle Club......I haven’t listened to them for such a long time...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 05:05 PM #24
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

they're still going, but their albums are always like... " this is nice i guess " just not a very exciting band lol but definitely a nice blast of nostalgia.

170-161:
Spoiler:

#170 - "Feel It All Around" by Washed Out

This was my ringtone for almost a decade (I recently changed it to a song that'll appear later). The theme tune to the wonderful sitcom Portlandia was at the peak of the chillwave movement around the turn of 2010, and is definitely one of those tracks that just conjure memories of beaches, sunsets and every other cliche good vibe.

#169 - "Hips Don't Lie" by Shakira and Wyclef Jean

There aren't really many better examples of a song that absolutely stole a summer than this. 2006 was the best summer of my life (I was 16, so, of course it was) and the music definitely shaped that; this was Shakira's biggest hit and... hell, do I need to explain Hips Don't Lie? You already know it, and already love it.

#168 - "I Got U" by Duke Dumont, Jax Jones and Kelli-Leigh

I'm going to right some wrongs now and point out that Kelli-Leigh, despite not being credited as a featured artist on either of them, topped the charts twice in 2014 (the other time on SecondCity's I Wanna Feel) and that seems rude, doesn't it? It's a slight I'll quickly get over, because... oh my god these steel drums are wonderful and I don't know a better example of a summer anthem.

#167 - "Supercut" by Lorde

When Lorde burst onto the scene in 2013 with Royals (and the album, Pure Heroine), I remember feeling flummoxed and uncertain of what the hype was all about. I still maintain most of the songs on that album were... just really boring but the follow-up... may be one of the albums of the decade? It was difficult picking a standout Lorde track, including her collaboration 'Magnets' with Disclosure, but in the end I opted for this because it's a rush from start to finish and full of poignancy.

#166 - "Fourth of July" by Sufjan Stevens

I really did try and keep the list of songs light-hearted and reflections of happy times but at the same time I couldn't deny that there have been songs and even entire albums that have had me on the verge of tears this century 2015's Carrie & Lowell was a dedication to Stevens' recently deceased mother, and as such the majority of tracks featured are heavy with grief. This, for me, was the favourite; yes, it's devastating and heartbreaking, but also so staggeringly beautiful and full of sweet nicknames for a mother's son.

#165 - "Love It If We Made It" by The 1975

The 21st century's version of Billy Joel's We Didn't Start the Fire; a frenetic lyrical epic that touches on an infinite number of references to blights and political moments that have accumulated into the overwhelming sense that we, as a species, are doomed... whilst aiming to undermine that all with a determined optimism. Uh.... yeah I like the song?

#164 - "Is It 'Cos I'm Cool?" by Mousse T and Emma Lanford

Turkish producer Mustafa Gundogdu had a string of hits in the late 90s and early 00s - most famously "Horny", and "Sex Bomb" with Tom Jones - but I remember this single coming out in 2004 and loving the hell out of it.

#163 - "Let It Rock" by Kevin Rudolf and Lil Wayne

I've always shrugged off the idea of a "guilty pleasure" but if I were to actually ever confess one I think it'd be this? The song is this over-the-top swag-rock nonsense, and I never liked Lil Wayne's rap career, but the two combined in 2008 to create this monster of a song that... I couldn't stop playing, and still find (to borrow an overused word from that time) epic.

#162 - "Thinkin Bout You" by Frank Ocean

Once I've gotten over the memory of that "a potato flew around" Vine, I am reminded of the fragility and the soul that Ocean displayed on Channel Orange back in 2012... the album was a huge moment in queer music; the first major-label, extremely cool and at the peak of his career, rap and R&B artist to come out of the closet. Ignoring all of the press about it though: the song is a beautiful vocal.

#161 - "Round Round" by Sugababes

Forever the coolest girlband of all time, the Sugababes were at their cultural peak in 2002 and the hits were numerable and fantastic. This was one of their best: a bewitching drum-beat that sees the girls literally whip up a tornado of rhythm and sex. The special effects in this video were actually pretty impressive for the time, and make Avatar look like a huge waste of ****ing time! Keisha delivers a wonderful verse, but it's new member Heidi who gets the slowed-down, bizarre bridge and steals the show.

Quote:

Old 09-03-2021, 05:07 PM #25

Favourites (more):
BB10: Bea
BB7: Lea

Favourites (more):
BB10: Bea
BB7: Lea

I thought you hated Paramore so was pleasantly surprised to see Misery Business.
Daniel. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
#101, #2011, #3021, #4031, #5041, #6051, #7061, #8071, #9081, 21st, 250, arbitrary, century, greatest, list, songs