Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

View Poll Results: Will there or won’t there be another lockdown?
There probably won’t be 4 25.00%
There probably won’t be
4 25.00%
There will be - it’s inevitable 6 37.50%
There will be - it’s inevitable
6 37.50%
Not sure/other 6 37.50%
Not sure/other
6 37.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-03-2021, 09:26 AM #1

Default Will lockdown 3.0 be it?

Or do you think there’ll be more (partly in light of the new Brazilian variant that’s been identified)?

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:28 AM #2
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I think there will be more but I hope not

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:31 AM #3
You know my methods

You know my methods

no more
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 09:33 AM #4
The peoples princesses

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace
BB2023: Yinrun

The peoples princesses

Favourites (more):
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace
BB2023: Yinrun

I think there will be smaller lockdowns in the future, but I do think they’re just gonna go on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
And if not, maybe try your hand at being an author for Mills & Boon.
He/him
Mitchell is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:08 AM #5
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

I would like to be positive and say that the vaccines will catch the most dominant variants but like flu and yes I know it's not flu but like the flu even after having the jab some people will still die, just like they die of other disease, but hospitals will not be awash with only covid cases, and as research continues they will be able to tweak the vaccines for the Autumn to cover the variants that have arisen, but its a sad fact that the virus will probably continue to mutate so not everyone will be protected, there is no cure for cancer, and 1 in 3 of us will get it in our lifetimes but we don't stop living because of that I also hope the majority of people will take the vaccine in order to protect themselves and others but if they don't there really isn't much we can do about it

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:27 AM #6
0_o

0_o

I don't think the public would 'allow' another lockdown once released tbh. I was actually hugely surprised at the high compliance for this one. Not...wanting people to rebel, but figured we were getting there. I think people might deal with a short one, IF its a short one. The problem I foresee there though is..the two we have had were 'sold' as a few weeks. And dragged on months. So would anyone even believe if it was a 'firebreak' or whatever name they are using now..

I actually see intermittent lockdowns as the way forward til vaccinations are done. BUT, I dont mean random months here and there. I mean, a couple of DAYS every few months. Which may not be dable, and might not effect it, but I really cannot see 1. The public listening again (especially now half the country is vaccinated, when for like..a year everyone heard the vaccination is the way out. Even if the science changes, I feel it would be VERY dodgy ground to admit that no, the vaccine is not the way out, sorry..especially after all the u turns we have had in general)

Like, personally I would 'accept' another lockdown in the way that..if the shops and stuff shut we have no choice but to accept it. However, like hell would I be staying away from family again, even moreso when they all have had vaccinations besides the young ones.

Might sound dramatic, but I can genuinely see civil unrest, if another lockdown was attempted (even moreso when you look at polling and stuff, the country is divided, yet again, most swing a bit more FOR lockdown, but a lot I have seen are 50/50..and it seems to be getting that way in the commons too. I see this as...brexit on speed, and with the potential of very massive issues depending how its played now). And that terrifies me a bit, the possiblity, and knowing enough kicking off...would be very hard to stop..would depend how many went for it really.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:56 AM #7

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Favourites:
BB18: Raph
X Factor 2013: Abi Alton

Really not sure.
If we got a stronger more infectious variation of covid then it might have to happen.
smudgie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 10:58 AM #8

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

Favourites (more):
Love Island 6: Shaughna
IAC2019: Nadine Coyle

No I think this is it.
Cal. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:09 AM #9
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...I don’t want to think that there’ll be more but I think that there may be...I think that the virus/variants of the virus will move more quickly than the vaccine will...one of the things that I was thinking yesterday ...is that, although the vaccine roll out is going tremendously...it will surely have to slow down soon for the 2nd vaccinations to be prioritised...which the 12 weeks will dictate, they have to be kept within that from the first vaccination...I mean, if it’s rolling out at full capacity now, then that wouldn’t allow for the 2nd ones, while still keeping a similar pace for the first ones...and there are still so many of those to go as well...so even though the more vulnerable will have been vaccinated...does that still not leave the virus to remain active and it’s going to be a constant all year round and every days etc of vaccinations to keep on preserving as much life as possible ...and for the foreseeable, that will mean lockdowns as well at times...maybe more local ones, though...but there may have to be national ones also as the local ones have still led to this National one happening...

...one thing that I find annoying is the predictions/timelines of things ‘being back to normal’ when we still have no idea of what our ‘normal’ is going to be...
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 11:56 AM #10
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...I don’t want to think that there’ll be more but I think that there may be...I think that the virus/variants of the virus will move more quickly than the vaccine will...one of the things that I was thinking yesterday ...is that, although the vaccine roll out is going tremendously...it will surely have to slow down soon for the 2nd vaccinations to be prioritised...which the 12 weeks will dictate, they have to be kept within that from the first vaccination...I mean, if it’s rolling out at full capacity now, then that wouldn’t allow for the 2nd ones, while still keeping a similar pace for the first ones...and there are still so many of those to go as well...so even though the more vulnerable will have been vaccinated...does that still not leave the virus to remain active and it’s going to be a constant all year round and every days etc of vaccinations to keep on preserving as much life as possible ...and for the foreseeable, that will mean lockdowns as well at times...maybe more local ones, though...but there may have to be national ones also as the local ones have still led to this National one happening...

...one thing that I find annoying is the predictions/timelines of things ‘being back to normal’ when we still have no idea of what our ‘normal’ is going to be...
I think its fact at this stage that the virus will mutate quicker than the vaccine could keep up really. Luckily most mutations are not anything to worry about, there will be literally thousands, maybe more covid mutations by this point I think. I was reading this earlier as was sent it..but its kinda relevant here so

https://www.breakthroughs.com/advanc...-means-vaccine

It sounds kinda like..unless this happens (which sounds fascinating to me and almost identical to how making a baby works?! Rather than how you would think of a virus) we should be quite fine for now really. A massive anamoly aside. Mutations sound scary (I was very worked up about this at one stage, how it happens, why the media were ignoring the mutations pretty much, and then only focussing on them after the vaccine was available and stuff, until somene who works in the field explained it all...really really stressed I was), and the press is now cashing in on that too it seems, but generaly speaking it seems most are not an issue at all..even the ones some papers have touted as the second coming of the plague basically..

^Coronaviruses do not have segmented genomes and cannot reassort. Instead, the coronavirus genome is made of a single, very long piece of RNA. However, when two coronaviruses infect the same cell, they can recombine, which is different than reassortment. In recombination, a new single RNA genome is stitched together from pieces of the two “parental” coronaviruses genomes. It’s not as efficient as reassortment, but scientists believe that coronaviruses have recombined in nature.^

------------

The vaccine rollout seems really weird to me. Like yeah all the backpats off getting half the country done, but to me, the focus should really have been on 'the vulnerable' and making sure they got both doses, before moving onto other lower risk groups tbh. Seems very strange, to be basically leaving those higher risk in a bit of a limbo, while we vaccinate those who..really dont eve seem to need the vaccination (though IF data says it does stop spread, obviously that changes a bit. Am assuming the 'lower risk of bad illness' thats being used right now!)

Ontop of this I cannot for the life of me understand the awkwardness about vacinating teachers before the schools flood? Not sure if this is universal but I have a few friends who are teachers/TAs and are quite yung s have yet t be called fr vaccine, but they have reached out to ask, and have been told that no, no priority list for teachers. Given how they were basically thrown to the wolves last opening, I find this really bad? Like, they were potentially as badly off as some NHS staff, and certainly much worse off than supermarket workers, bus drivers, other keyworkers...like, I think 'covid secure' is largely a pile of bollocks in honesty, BUT, there was no atempt to secure schools, bar 'oh clean hands more'. Kids who wanted to wear masks were openly told they couldn't..and so on. Just seemed weird behaviour at the time, and still can't make sense of it. Friends were confused too, and have basically now decided there is a conspiracy to kill off teachers for some odd reason they cannot explain, given the lack of care about their health from government, mps, nhs, everyone, seems no outcry about this and its just basically 'oh well they should get on with it, kids are low rsk', Like, kids seem almost immune to the very nasty parts of this virus and I am grateful for that, but the kids being safer, does not mean the teachers dont need potection too? Unless we have conclusive evidence that asymptomatic people, or children, or both don't spread it? Which I don't think we have but could have missed(think last I read it looked like no symptoms meant less likely to spread, but not impossible? Cannot imagine its changed much frm there really). I think most are not serious, but really, cannot blame them for jumping to that conclusion even if they were!
Quote:
Quote:
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.

Last edited by Vicky.; 01-03-2021 at 12:00 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:00 PM #11
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

by the end of the summer, the vaccines will have been updated to take account of any extra threat from new strains, ready for the vulnerable to have an october/november booster if required, so there "shouldn't" be the strain on the nhs to warrant a lockdown again. That's not saying the threat from covid will be over, it's going to be here for a while, it just won't make the same numbers need hospitalisation
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 01:24 PM #12
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan

Not sure.
It's this PM's intention to have no others.

I hope he's correct in his thinking a further one won't be needed.

So I can't say for certain, I think there won't be or will be.
joeysteele is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 02:37 PM #13
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
by the end of the summer, the vaccines will have been updated to take account of any extra threat from new strains, ready for the vulnerable to have an october/november booster if required, so there "shouldn't" be the strain on the nhs to warrant a lockdown again. That's not saying the threat from covid will be over, it's going to be here for a while, it just won't make the same numbers need hospitalisation
After a bit of ranting about scaremongering..feel a little silly admitting I really do not think the next threat will be more covid. I remain convinced, that the very very low flu season this year (and last really) is a bad bad omen. Like, it seems good when trying to reduce deaths now, but I am dreading the next one. NHS struggles massively with normal flu seasons as we know, not even sure why really but am so convinced next one will be basically...3 years in one. Potential for lockdown without covid?! Am half thinking thats partly what a lot of the fluffing and 'do your duty, protect the thing we are starving so we dont get blamed!' in the press has been about, preparing us to see 'lockdown, the NHS might fail' as normal, rather than...you know..funding it better so its better equipped in the future, should something bad happen?!

Will openly admit though to being very fuzzy on the topic now. I think my brains kinda..over it while I am still trying to research stuff, and its leading to a bit of an obsession with it all. And..overfocussing on silly things that are most likely...totally irrelevant.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 01-03-2021, 04:06 PM #14
-

-

I think being realistic, it's highly probable that there will be more, although I would like to hope that they will tend to be regional rather than country-wide.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 04:27 PM #15
0_o

0_o

When warmer weather comes, its not likely to spread. Wasnt that basically the rationale behind opening up in summer...that the cold weather would bring more covid?

I hope to god I am wrong in a way, though it might be best for me to be right depending on..how it all goes down, but I think the next risk to us is going to be a very bad flu/season. We are so hyper focused on covid...everythings about covid, and some seem to be congratulating the amazingness of 'eradicating flu' but...its not bloody gone.

A LOT of the covid stuff has made me wonder how the **** we would deal with a 'real', very deadly pandemic though. Fear levels would be higher I guess, which helps government to control it...

Edit. The wording was horrendous there. Obviously this is a real pandemic. I meant....serious. Meaning, actual quite high death rate or very bad illness rate. We were almost 'lucky' with this one tbh, when compared to the near misses of SARS, MERS and the rates for that :S (discovered just yesterday that some other similar things had like..30% death rate, and it scared the crap out of me)
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by Vicky.; 01-03-2021 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 06:40 AM #16
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul

maybe, you never know

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-03-2021, 12:01 AM #17
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
When warmer weather comes, its not likely to spread. Wasnt that basically the rationale behind opening up in summer...that the cold weather would bring more covid?

I hope to god I am wrong in a way, though it might be best for me to be right depending on..how it all goes down, but I think the next risk to us is going to be a very bad flu/season. We are so hyper focused on covid...everythings about covid, and some seem to be congratulating the amazingness of 'eradicating flu' but...its not bloody gone.

A LOT of the covid stuff has made me wonder how the **** we would deal with a 'real', very deadly pandemic though. Fear levels would be higher I guess, which helps government to control it...

Edit. The wording was horrendous there. Obviously this is a real pandemic. I meant....serious. Meaning, actual quite high death rate or very bad illness rate. We were almost 'lucky' with this one tbh, when compared to the near misses of SARS, MERS and the rates for that :S (discovered just yesterday that some other similar things had like..30% death rate, and it scared the crap out of me)
Things that kill a large percentage tend to progress fast, and because they progress so fast, it limits their ability to spread. Basically, the only reason Covid has been able to become a full global pandemic is because 50%+ of cases are asymptomatic spreaders and like another 30%+ mild-symptom spreaders. There's a reason that, despite ebola having been active for decades now, it hasn't ever been a real risk of progressing to pandemic or even epidemic levels. The same goes for MERS - quite scary fatality rates but tiny case numbers.

SARS 1.0 is an interesting one... The death rate of KNOWN cases/deaths is just under 10%, but that's 800ish deaths in 8000ish known cases. When you think back to the early days of Covid (SARS2) when we had no idea of the scale of infections... It was quite common to see "reported case fatality rates" of 7 to 8% and some even higher, because we had no idea how many cases there actually were.

In short, it's quite likely that there were far more than 8000 SARS cases, but that 800 deaths is accurate. Depending on how many unreported or asymptomatic cases there were... It's really very possible that the true "OG SARS" fatality risk is not that much higher than SARS-2 (Covid).

Its fairly likely that the MERS fatality rate is considerably lower than 30% too, the reported cases are far too low to give an accurate picture. It's probably still significantly higher that other coronaviruses though.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
30, lockdown