Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 06-04-2021, 01:35 PM #1
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Default I was almost scammed today

Got a call at home from what was the Royal Court of Justice official number - looks like they've got very good cloners these days - saying I owed almost 3k in unpaid taxes. Immediately I was suspicious cuz my work history is such that its unlikely I underpaid, much more likely I overpaid. They told me that three auditor had a found incorrect and false statements on my tax form. More bull**** that wan rng true in my head cuz my employers always fill out my tax form. Then he got quite aggressive when I wanted more information and refused to give me the info I was asking for. He finally went over the top when he told me that he was going to freeze my bank accounts and it would be done within the next hour. Including credit cards and savings accounts I have over 25 different bank account I almost laughed when he said that but I was convinced enough to consult my work colleague who used to work or HMRC. My colleague confirmed it was a scam. HMRC can only request for your account to be frozen. They almost had me but they were just too pushy. I'm a bit disappointed that I was even convinced a little but I'm most disappointed I got off the phone before I could tell him to go f&&K himself

Anyone else had any issues with scammers?

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis

Last edited by GiRTh; 06-04-2021 at 01:37 PM.
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:51 PM #2
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...your money will probably be safer in my account, Girth...I’ll send you my bank details and I’ll look after it for you and keep it safe from scammers......
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:52 PM #3
The other Shaun :)

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Maura
CBB22: Ryan Thomas

Favourites (more):

Oh I’ve had plenty since lockdown started, the most recent one was when I got an automated phone call on my mobile from HMRC claiming that I was being investigated for tax fraud and that if I didn’t push 1 to talk to one of their operators about the matter I was going to be arrested within the next hour. I just hung up the phone it’s a bit of a giveaway when they ring you off a mobile number and I also twigged straight away that HMRC would never waste their money ringing me. They’d rather me ring them and keep me on hold for 45 mins

Had plenty as well from “Lloyds TSB” messaging me claiming that I’ve set up new payees and that payments were made from new devices and if it wasn’t me I should follow the link they sent over. I don’t even bank with Lloyds

Another one from “GovUk”. Apparently due to the new stage of lockdown I’m entitled to a support grant and that I should claim by following the link provided. Again sent of a mobile number .

Also had random messages saying that there’s been issues with my payment methods for shipping and that I need to update my details.

Dogeatdog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 01:52 PM #4
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

...so annoying for you, though..
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:03 PM #5
You know my methods

You know my methods

I am getting slightly worried about my pal Emmanuel Nwude who is the Director of the Union Bank of Nigeria. I helped him out as his bank had frozen his funds in error and he needed to rest some funds in my account due to some civil war thing, quite a bit of cash if im honest. ANyhoo i sent him my bank details about a week ago and not heard back from him - i hope the war hasnt got him?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:06 PM #6
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

they thrive on putting an element of doubt in your head and then pressurizing you before you can think clearly.

Typically, hmrc send lots of reminders before doing anything, and its never over the phone
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:07 PM #7

Yes they are loads calling Today.

When you get a Call
Do Not Speak.

They Hang up.

Right down the number
Check online.

Sign Of The Times.

Last edited by arista; 06-04-2021 at 02:08 PM.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:10 PM #8
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I got a text message that came in under the same number and thread as my actual bank's number, telling me an attempt to take money from my account was made and to click on a link and follow the instructions. Normally the only messages I get from my bank are ones saying my statement for that month is ready to view from my online banking so I was a bit wary about following links when they'd not asked me to do that before so I phoned my bank and asked them if they'd sent the message and they hadn't. looked legit though the way they'd sent it and it went right into the thread with the legitimate messages, crafty ****ers

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:11 PM #9
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
they thrive on putting an element of doubt in your head and then pressurizing you before you can think clearly.

Typically, hmrc send lots of reminders before doing anything, and its never over the phone
True. I even have an HMRC account that wasnt showing anything but I still doubted myself that I had to consult my colleagues. This is one of the advantages of being a Civil servant that I can call someone at HMRC if I want but I still had doubts till they confirmed HMRC dont operate like that.

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
Old 06-04-2021, 02:12 PM #10
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...your money will probably be safer in my account, Girth...I’ll send you my bank details and I’ll look after it for you and keep it safe from scammers......
To be repaid at a loan shark rate.

Quote:
Old 06-04-2021, 02:14 PM #11
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogeatdog View Post
Oh I’ve had plenty since lockdown started, the most recent one was when I got an automated phone call on my mobile from HMRC claiming that I was being investigated for tax fraud and that if I didn’t push 1 to talk to one of their operators about the matter I was going to be arrested within the next hour. I just hung up the phone it’s a bit of a giveaway when they ring you off a mobile number and I also twigged straight away that HMRC would never waste their money ringing me. They’d rather me ring them and keep me on hold for 45 mins

Had plenty as well from “Lloyds TSB” messaging me claiming that I’ve set up new payees and that payments were made from new devices and if it wasn’t me I should follow the link they sent over. I don’t even bank with Lloyds

Another one from “GovUk”. Apparently due to the new stage of lockdown I’m entitled to a support grant and that I should claim by following the link provided. Again sent of a mobile number .

Also had random messages saying that there’s been issues with my payment methods for shipping and that I need to update my details.
That may be due to a historic account. Have you ever banked with Lloyds?

The text messages where you get a link are the worse. I insist on only being contacted by email from my banks

Quote:
Old 06-04-2021, 02:15 PM #12
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Stuff like that is like the modern equivalent of the Nigerian Prince emails from the olden days. Just another scam...

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:17 PM #13
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

For online security, i highly recommend yubikey. It's a hardware authenticator that prevents most of the current scams

https://www.yubico.com/products/
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:18 PM #14
0_o

0_o

He finally went over the top when he told me that he was going to freeze my bank accounts and it would be done within the next hour. Including credit cards and savings accounts

Haha. I wonder how much they have potentially lost themselves with that nugget. That part would make most people think this was nonsense. The rest sounds believable

They do tend to oversell that way. The one time I was very very almost taken in..was a HMRC refund scam. I know they happen all the time so know to be aware but this one was...vastly more believable for a few reasons. Long story short...I did fall for it, right until the stage they said the money would be in my account an hour after I emailed in certain details (seemed the way it really worked, was they had control of my email account and seemingly had got my home phone number from an outgoing email I had sent recently. They wanted me to send to real HMRC address..however, they had access to my outgoing emails...hence, being believable as no 'send details to arandomguy.hmrc@outlook.com nonsense )

I queried this, and was told there had been a 'system upgrade'. My experience with HMRC tells me even an upgrade would only have them making payments within about a week, rather than the month it usually takes

Without that part though, I would definitely have been had. So I was very lucky they oversold.

My mother in law was taken in by a covid jab text that were going around. Must have been just about harvesting details rather than extracting cash in any way though. She didnt really think to suspect..but whe I saw the correspondance it was obvious bull****.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:27 PM #15

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
That may be due to a historic account. Have you ever banked with Lloyds?

The text messages where you get a link are the worse. I insist on only being contacted by email from my banks
Never banked with Lloyds. I’ve been with Barclays my whole life. I had a savings account with Halifax because they still used to use the old books to record deposits/ withdrawals but when they got rid of them I switched back to Barclays.

Yh my bank normally email me too so I always find it odd if I’m contacted through text. When these scammers are messaging me it’s coming through as a normal mobile phone number so it’s an instant giveaway.

The HMRC one was pretty amusing because it just seemed so bizarre and they actually rang me again about 45 mins after the first time to say that I was going to be arrested if I didn’t contact them immediately. Nothing happened as I suspected but it would’ve made the day more interesting if it did

Dogeatdog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 02:54 PM #16
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
He finally went over the top when he told me that he was going to freeze my bank accounts and it would be done within the next hour. Including credit cards and savings accounts

Haha. I wonder how much they have potentially lost themselves with that nugget. That part would make most people think this was nonsense. The rest sounds believable

They do tend to oversell that way. The one time I was very very almost taken in..was a HMRC refund scam. I know they happen all the time so know to be aware but this one was...vastly more believable for a few reasons. Long story short...I did fall for it, right until the stage they said the money would be in my account an hour after I emailed in certain details (seemed the way it really worked, was they had control of my email account and seemingly had got my home phone number from an outgoing email I had sent recently. They wanted me to send to real HMRC address..however, they had access to my outgoing emails...hence, being believable as no 'send details to arandomguy.hmrc@outlook.com nonsense )

I queried this, and was told there had been a 'system upgrade'. My experience with HMRC tells me even an upgrade would only have them making payments within about a week, rather than the month it usually takes

Without that part though, I would definitely have been had. So I was very lucky they oversold.

My mother in law was taken in by a covid jab text that were going around. Must have been just about harvesting details rather than extracting cash in any way though. She didnt really think to suspect..but whe I saw the correspondance it was obvious bull****.
I may have been sucked in by that scam.

They're getting more and more elaborate but they always over do it at some point.

Quote:
Old 06-04-2021, 03:11 PM #17
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

My aunt nearly got caught with the Amazon one, she was aware of the scam but the guy was so convincing

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Cherie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 03:15 PM #18
Banned

Banned

The best thing to do is just not do anything basically, when I get emails or texts from services I use with a link, I usually just open another page and login through the site to see what's up.

If I was to get a call like that, I'd just tell them they can speak to me in person if they are really from the Tax.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 07:14 PM #19

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):

I hate these scammers, they're everywhere. I always delete fake emails,texts and I always hang up on the phone calls.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:41 PM #20
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):
BB18: Isabelle
CBB19: Kim Woodburn

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

I had one from 'Royal Mail' not long ago saying an item I had bought was being held until I said some tax.

I went on the official Royal Mail website and keyed in the number they gave me and it didn't exist so looked up the site they linked me to in the text message and it was a fake royal mail webpage, they're probably catching loads of people out too.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:02 PM #21

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy Jade View Post
I had one from 'Royal Mail' not long ago saying an item I had bought was being held until I said some tax.

I went on the official Royal Mail website and keyed in the number they gave me and it didn't exist so looked up the site they linked me to in the text message and it was a fake royal mail webpage, they're probably catching loads of people out too.
I don't even click the links, as I know they'll take me to a phishing site .
You have to be so careful.
Old 07-04-2021, 12:38 PM #22
-

-

If someone calls YOU and asks for money, hang up, look up their official number and call them back on that. If it's legit they'll look you up and say "ahh yes", if they have no idea what you're talking about it was a scam.

I'd never give any financial details, or details like a full password, on a call that I didn't initiate.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 02:57 PM #23
Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Queen of Walford

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
I don't even click the links, as I know they'll take me to a phishing site .
You have to be so careful.
Yeah I highlighted the link to see where it went and it wasn't the official site but one that looked similar just spelt slightly differently.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
sammed, scammed, today