Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 10-04-2021, 04:19 PM #251
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Prince Philip: Funeral to take place on Saturday and will be televised - with national silence at 3pm...

Prince Philip's funeral will take place next Saturday and will be televised to mark the duke's "vast contribution and lasting legacy".

Members of the public will not be allowed to attend as the proceedings have been scaled down due to the pandemic, but a national minute's silence will be held at 3pm before the funeral begins at St George's Chapel.

The proceedings will be kept within the confines of Windsor Castle and the Duke of Edinburgh's body will be carried to the West Steps in a Land Rover, which was specially designed by Philip himself.

Prince Harry will be travelling from his home in the United States to attend, although his pregnant wife Meghan has been advised not to travel.

Prince Philip dies - Live reaction from UK and around the world

There is no confirmation yet on the rest of the guest list, although under government guidance only 30 people will be allowed to attend.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson has approved a recommendation for a period of national mourning until next Saturday, according to a Palace source.

They also said the Royal Family will observe two weeks of royal mourning until 22 April, when they will continue engagements where appropriate and wear mourning bands.

It will not be a state funeral, which is usually reserved for the monarch, and is line with the duke's own wishes.

He will also not lie In state and his body remains at rest within a private chapel in Windsor Castle.

Having helped to draw up the details himself, the Duke of Edinburgh was said to have wanted little fuss at his funeral.

The arrangements, codenamed Forth Bridge after the Scottish landmark, have been in place for many years but have been adapted due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The Queen has had final approval of the updated plans, although the original plans were drawn up in consultation with the Duke of Edinburgh himself.

The arrangements will be fully in line with government guidance and guests will be adhering to social distancing rules.

No public processions will take place and the public is being urged not to turn up at the royal residences.

Lord Chamberlain Baron Parker of Minsmere, the most senior official at the royal household, is overseeing the arrangements and will ensure everything is kept to a strict timetable.

Tasked with staging the practical side of the day is the Queen's Comptroller Lieutenant Colonel Michael Vernon, while many others will be involved in the days ahead.

The proceedings were originally planned for 800 attendees in St George's Chapel.

The Queen's four children and their partners - the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall, the Princess Royal and Vice Admiral Sir Timothy Laurence, the Duke of York, and the Earl and Countess of Wessex - will undoubtedly be present.

We can also expect Prince Philip's eight grandchildren to be there: Peter Phillips, Zara Tindall, the Duke of Cambridge, the Duke of Sussex, Princess Beatrice, Princess Eugenie, Lady Louise Windsor and Viscount Severn.

Meanwhile, future queen the Duchess of Cambridge is also expected to attend.

Members of the public have also joined in their mourning, with some becoming visibly emotional as they paid tribute outside the royal palaces.

People have been urged not to leave flowers at the royal residences to prevent crowds forming, instead being asked to donate to charity or sign an online book of condolence if they wish to pay tribute to the duke.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:26 PM #252

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
Jfc, even being criticised for the way they grieve, do people want their heads on a stick or something?
I'll criticize them for whatever I want, the way they treated their very elderly grandparents was horrendous, with no thought for anyone but themselves.
Harry should have come over when his grandfather was dying to say goodbye and APOLOGISE for causing so much stress and hurt to him and the Queen at such an awful time in their lives and for adding to their distress.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:32 PM #253
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherie View Post
Harry is travelling solo, Meghan is not travelling on doctors advice
The doctor must have watched the "interview" then as well

Old 10-04-2021, 04:36 PM #254

I am surprised Harry didnt come and see him when he came out of Hospital...he didnt look good.
Old 10-04-2021, 04:50 PM #255
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
The doctor must have watched the "interview" then as well

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticgal View Post
I am surprised Harry didnt come and see him when he came out of Hospital...he didnt look good.
Maybe under covid rules he couldn't? I don't know how the rules apply to people who are ill

I think all things considered he will come to regret the timing of the Ophrah interview, he had no axe to grind with with his grandparents when all was said and done

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 10-04-2021, 05:03 PM #256

Quote:

Maybe under covid rules he couldn't? I don't know how the rules apply to people who are ill

I think all things considered he will come to regret the timing of the Ophrah interview, he had no axe to grind with with his grandparents when all was said and done

I think you can come from the USA but you have to self isolate.

As for the interview...I think he will regret doing it completely....
Old 10-04-2021, 05:09 PM #257

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Why would he regret doing the interview? He didn’t say anything bad about Phillip or Lizzie for that matter, unless we’re now suggesting that the interview caused his death nor or something
Old 10-04-2021, 05:13 PM #258

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I think you can come from the USA but you have to self isolate.

As for the interview...I think he will regret doing it completely....
I agree he'll regret it, and as it was mostly Meghan's interview trashing his family, he'll come to resent her for it.
Old 10-04-2021, 05:13 PM #259
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

[QUOTE=Liam-;11031497]Why would he regret doing the interview? He didn’t say anything bad about Phillip or Lizzie for that matter, unless we’re now suggesting that the interview caused his death nor or something[/QUOTE]

no one is suggesting that at all

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 10-04-2021, 05:14 PM #260
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
I agree he'll regret it, and as it was mostly Meghan's interview trashing his family, he'll come to resent her for it.
i would not be surprised that he isnt already regretting it
Old 10-04-2021, 05:26 PM #261

Quote:
Why would he regret doing the interview? He didn’t say anything bad about Phillip or Lizzie for that matter, unless we’re now suggesting that the interview caused his death nor or something

No one has suggested that the interview caused his death..although I’m sure you are itching for someone to suggest it..

I think HE will regret doing the interview because the hurt it has caused his family by doing this publicly....it’s backfired on them both and the popularity he had in this country is no more....
Old 10-04-2021, 05:45 PM #262

Quote:

I think when Harry comes here on his own it will be a great opportunity for him to put things right and build bridges. However...he could find himself piggy in the middle and torn between the two but he will obviously stand by Meghan...but things can fester and you are right, he may come to resent her for it.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:41 PM #263
0_o

0_o

Quote:
She should be too ashamed to show her face, but I doubt it would be shame that would keep her away, it would be cowardice if anything.
Well yeah. If she doesn't go its cowardice of course. Attention seeking also, as surely the press will speculate and make it all about her. Best to stay away.

But if she did, it would be attention seeking and purposely causing trouble. And potentially putting her baby at risk. Might be worth going.

Tough call really.
but now not into takeaways anymore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Did you get them delivered from Wuhan?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I would just like to take a second to congratulate Vicky, for creating the first Tibb post that needed chapters and a bibliography.
Old 10-04-2021, 06:50 PM #264
-

-

The number of people suggesting that they know how Harry is feeling/what he is thinking/what he does or doesn't regret/that he'll resent his wife... complete and utter guesswork and you're all out here spouting it like it's facts. Just bizarre stuff really.
Old 10-04-2021, 07:18 PM #265
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
The number of people suggesting that they know how Harry is feeling/what he is thinking/what he does or doesn't regret/that he'll resent his wife... complete and utter guesswork and you're all out here spouting it like it's facts. Just bizarre stuff really.
Preceeding posts with ‘i think’ or ‘I would not be surprised’ is not anything like spouting facts, its an opinion, give your head a wobble

Old 10-04-2021, 07:28 PM #266

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Quote:
Agree

The guilt tripping is so silly
Old 10-04-2021, 07:44 PM #267

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

Quote:
It's all just BS, people pretending they care about Philip and Queen Liz's feelings and then using Philips death as a platform to guilt trip their grandson as if that's something they would want or approve of. The irony is clearly lost.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:05 PM #268
-

-

Quote:
Preceeding posts with ‘i think’ or ‘I would not be surprised’ is not anything like spouting facts, its an opinion, give your head a wobble
Plenty of examples of statements not being preceeded with anything at all though? Either way the belief people have that their opinions on this are sound when they might as well be saying anything. "Oh I think he'll rent a hot air balloon and simply sail across the atlantic on a warm puff of wind from the gulf stream, arriving exactly at the moment Philip's funeral begins, to shower the proceedings with signed photographs of Meghan. Those scums!"
Old 10-04-2021, 08:54 PM #269
Banned

Banned

Quote:
It has to be pretend denial. Or maybe some are so invested in Meghan for some strange reason they just can't accept that she can do anything wrong, ever. It's quite weird really.
It's a shame, if you changed one word like so, your statement would have been more true.

'It has to be pretend denial. Or maybe some are so invested in Meghan for some strange reason they just can't accept that she can do anything right, ever. It's quite weird really.'

You were so close. So. Close.

Quote:
I thought their 2 line 'tribute' had no warmth at all, as if he was practically a stranger.
Imagine writing such an ugly comment with confidence despite the fact that you do not know these people. Love the confidence, hate the entitlement that allows you to think you can accurately judge the strength of familial bonds of a family you have never met or have never known.

Beastly post.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:03 PM #270
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Meghan grieving? Philip seen right through her, he was nobody's fool, which was why Harry hadn't spoken to him since 2019.
Again, you do not know anything about this family, you may think you do because you pay attention to gossip rags and rent-a-gobs that tell you what you want to hear, but you don't. You are not part of their lives, you do not know them, you have no actual clue what they are like, none of us do. We are all ignorant of their lives but most of us have the decency to let them grieve in peace, It's a shame some don't.

I just couldn't imagine judging someone who has just lost a family member and acting like they didn't love their grandad because I didn't like their statement. Who even thinks like that? The lack of common decency or empathy is quite frustrating to see. I hope, when the sad day comes when you lose someone, there isn't somebody judging you and making assumptions about your relationship to the deceased based purely on their dislike of you. I hope you never have to experience that, I truly do.
Old 10-04-2021, 09:03 PM #271

Quote:

Do people not get the art of Conversation..
Old 10-04-2021, 09:36 PM #272
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Do people not get the art of Conversation..
Apparently not

The word empathy is chucked around a lot, I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch to consider Harry might have a pang of remorse about attacking his family during a very stressful time for all of them, not sure what is so bad about pointing that out

Last edited by Cherie; 10-04-2021 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:39 PM #273

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
It's a shame, if you changed one word like so, your statement would have been more true.

'It has to be pretend denial. Or maybe some are so invested in Meghan for some strange reason they just can't accept that she can do anything right, ever. It's quite weird really.'

You were so close. So. Close.

Imagine writing such an ugly comment with confidence despite the fact that you do not know these people. Love the confidence, hate the entitlement that allows you to think you can accurately judge the strength of familial bonds of a family you have never met or have never known.

Beastly post.
I stand by my opinions on both counts.

Words from people I don't respect don't affect me in the slightest.
Old 10-04-2021, 11:23 PM #274

I do think it's quite galling that people are making Prince Philip's death about Meghan and Harry, whilst saying they have utmost respect for the Monarchy.....again, the shame of the interview is mentioned constantly and Andrew's indiscretions are glossed over. At the end of the day, a family patriarch has been lost, the family are grieving. I'm sure the Queen can do without the media storm tbh
Old 10-04-2021, 11:44 PM #275
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
I do think it's quite galling that people are making Prince Philip's death about Meghan and Harry, whilst saying they have utmost respect for the Monarchy.....again, the shame of the interview is mentioned constantly and Andrew's indiscretions are glossed over. At the end of the day, a family patriarch has been lost, the family are grieving. I'm sure the Queen can do without the media storm tbh

It’s certainly put to bed any argument that the criticisms of Harry and Meghan have anything at all to do with “respect for the monarchy”. It was a dubious claim to begin with, but it’s been highlighted as clearly false now.
Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
cost, discussion, harry, meghan, official, security, taxpayer, thread, visit