Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22-04-2021, 08:46 AM   #101
Ammi
Quand il pleut, il pleut
 
Ammi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: on Blueberry Hill
Posts: 56,215


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Genuinely surprised by the verdict... I assumed the American legal system would conjure 200 more impossible hoops for the prosecution to jump through and he'd be acquitted on the most inane technicality.

A small slice of justice in a country that's in short supply.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
Yeah I thought the same, great news though
...I’ve been in thoughts about this quite a bit this morning, it’s exactly what you’ve said, Shaun...it’s a small slice of justice, it’s not just that George’s life was taken by someone who was meant to serve the law and protect and preserve life...it’s that he coldly took a life in full public view...?...and that’s how deeply the prejudice can run...that it’s so instilled that a life can be taken, surrounded by horrified public eyes and then a not guilty plea given..
It’s great justice but it really is a tiniest slice...
__________________



Paris is always a good idea...
Ammi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 09:00 AM   #102
bitontheslide
self-oscillating
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 26,052

Favourites:
BB19: Sian


Default

in order for an appeal to be successful it needs some genuine reasons for it other than some woman said something outside the courthouse. It reminds me a lot of Trump and his vote rigging accusations, and look where that got him
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 09:39 AM   #103
LeatherTrumpet
Compassion in Action
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 72,528


Thumbs up There are few parallels between race relations in America and Britain

The conviction of the former Minneapolis police officer Derek
Chauvin for the murder of George Floyd was greeted with relief
by those who feared his acquittal would reignite racial tensions
in America. A thorough trial, albeit one firmly in the political
spotlight, considered all the evidence and a jury reached its
verdict beyond reasonable doubt. The justice system worked as
it should, without fear or favour.

Joe Biden, who even before the verdict was delivered
proclaimed publicly that the evidence against Chauvin was
“overwhelming”, said the outcome was a platform on which to
build better race relations in America. The events since Floyd’s
death, with the growth of the Black Lives Matter movement,
certainly demonstrate that these are needed.

It is disconcerting, however, to find campaigners in this country
seeking to find parallels with what has happened across the
Atlantic. There is no comparison. Race relations in the UK, while
by no means perfect, are infinitely better than in America and,
indeed, than in most other countries. Dr Tony Sewell’s
commission, which had the temerity to point this out, continues to be
trashed by those who would rather foment division than seek to improve the


During a heated Commons debate on the report, Marsha de
Cordova, Labour’s spokesman, suggested policy should take its
lead from the BLM movement. Fortunately, the redoubtable
Kemi Badenoch, the minister for equalities, was having none of
it, declaring: “She is clearly determined to create a divisive
atmosphere around race and we will not stand for it.” Ms
Badenoch’s ministerial colleagues need to back her up just as
forcefully.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/...erica-britain/
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 09:44 AM   #104
Toy Soldier
I'M LI'L JAWN!
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 25,709
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post

It is disconcerting, however, to find campaigners in this country
seeking to find parallels with what has happened across the
Atlantic. There is no comparison. Race relations in the UK, while
by no means perfect, are infinitely better than in America
I agree with that but on the flipside, unfortunately, some people will take "it's much better here than elsewhere" and come to the illogical conclusion that "...therefore issues relating to race need NO attention here; it's fine".

"Better than elsewhere" does not mean "good". "America is worse" doesn't mean "we don't need to bother continuing to improve".


To use one of my famed parables; if you're in an accident and you clearly break your leg, but others in the same accident have internal bleeding and head injuries, YES you can say "Oh wow at least my injuries aren't as severe as theirs" ... and then you get yourself to hospital because you have a broken leg, and that needs attention. You don't hop off home declaring everything fine because your broken leg isn't as bad as Bob's punctured lung.
__________________

___________________________________
Jedward Twins like being Political
They were Live
Shaved heads Skin heads
They think they can get Political?




Last edited by Toy Soldier; 22-04-2021 at 09:47 AM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 09:50 AM   #105
bitontheslide
self-oscillating
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 26,052

Favourites:
BB19: Sian


Default

we don't have a gun culture here, so we just can't compare ourselves to the usa, it's different on so many levels
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 09:50 AM   #106
LeatherTrumpet
Compassion in Action
 
LeatherTrumpet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 72,528


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I agree with that but on the flipside, unfortunately, some people will take "it's much better here than elsewhere" and come to the illogical conclusion that "...therefore issues relating to race need NO attention here; it's fine".

"Better than elsewhere" does not mean "good". "America is worse" doesn't mean "we don't need to bother continuing to improve".


To use one of my famed parables; if you're in an accident and you clearly break your leg, but others in the same accident have internal bleeding and head injuries, YES you can say "Oh wow at least my injuries aren't as severe as theirs" ... and then you get yourself to hospital because you have a broken leg, and that needs attention. You don't hop off home declaring everything fine because your broken leg isn't as bad as Bob's punctured lung.
we recently had a detailed and nuanced report by experts that said that your leg was not broken you have pulled a small ligament - so you can go home rest it for a day or two and you will be fine

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2021, 09:54 AM   #107
Toy Soldier
I'M LI'L JAWN!
 
Toy Soldier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: ➜
Posts: 25,709
Blog Entries: 1


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
we recently had a detailed and nuanced report by experts
We did not.
__________________

___________________________________
Jedward Twins like being Political
They were Live
Shaved heads Skin heads
They think they can get Political?



Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
chauvin, death, derek, floyd, george, trial

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 06:27 PM.




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
no new posts