Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 03-05-2021, 05:10 PM #101

Whilst I do agree there is something to be said for not erasing things from the past because one individual turned out to be unsavoury, I do think there's more important things RIGHT NOW than moaning over that one show being taken down because it's brand new due to what is now a very serious investigation into very serious allegations.

His new show being taken off itv hub because they currently don't want an association with what's currently happening is not really a big deal IMO. And the backlash to that seems to be overshadowing the actual allegations in some places which is odd.

Edit - And no, this isn't a dig at any individual forum members, before I get predictable replies.

Last edited by Marsh.; 03-05-2021 at 05:12 PM.
Marsh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 05:42 PM #102
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marsh. View Post
Whilst I do agree there is something to be said for not erasing things from the past because one individual turned out to be unsavoury, I do think there's more important things RIGHT NOW than moaning over that one show being taken down because it's brand new due to what is now a very serious investigation into very serious allegations.

His new show being taken off itv hub because they currently don't want an association with what's currently happening is not really a big deal IMO. And the backlash to that seems to be overshadowing the actual allegations in some places which is odd.

Edit - And no, this isn't a dig at any individual forum members, before I get predictable replies.
...you say it so much better than I do......I do think that ‘cancel culture’ is an incorrect labelling in this case and that’s the damaging thing with labels...they’re not identifying enough with specifics involved and this is a very serious case with the allegations ...I can’t think of any other type of employment where a ‘suspension’ wouldn’t also apply to any and all projects while investigations continue...and yeah, I agree ...real issues are being clouded while labelling seems to take the prime seat in some cases...

Last edited by Ammi; 03-05-2021 at 05:43 PM.
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:05 PM #103
-

-

Quote:

His new show being taken off itv hub because they currently don't want an association with what's currently happening is not really a big deal IMO.
I mean, I get what you're saying, but on top of (but separate to) what I was saying before I have another issue with this;

Examples of his character were ALL OVER his open social media.

ITV "currently don't want an association" with something that has hit the press and become very public ... when ITV chose to work with him, there are really only two options;

1) They failed, as a massive media company, to do proper background checks that any 15 year old with a phone could do in 15 minutes... or

2) They knew fine well that his twitter (at the very least) was full of toxic, aggressive misogyny (and there are examples of worse) and they just didn't really care until it turned into public backlash.

So I think it is a pretty big deal that they currently don't want to be associated. Understandable that they don't, sure... but y'know. Tough ****. They are.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 06:09 PM #104
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
...you say it so much better than I do......I do think that ‘cancel culture’ is an incorrect labelling in this case and that’s the damaging thing with labels...they’re not identifying enough with specifics involved and this is a very serious case with the allegations ...I can’t think of any other type of employment where a ‘suspension’ wouldn’t also apply to any and all projects while investigations continue...and yeah, I agree ...real issues are being clouded while labelling seems to take the prime seat in some cases...
Personally I have no issue with him being yeeted to the moon given some of the stuff I've seen since this broke, cancel away... I just personally think you can't "cancel in hindsight". You can stop working with someone, but you can't hop in a DeLorean and change things to pretend that you NEVER worked with them because you find the association uncomfortable. Again, I understand why they would WANT to, but that doesn't mean it works that way.
Old 03-05-2021, 08:14 PM #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I mean, I get what you're saying, but on top of (but separate to) what I was saying before I have another issue with this;

Examples of his character were ALL OVER his open social media.

ITV "currently don't want an association" with something that has hit the press and become very public ... when ITV chose to work with him, there are really only two options;

1) They failed, as a massive media company, to do proper background checks that any 15 year old with a phone could do in 15 minutes... or

2) They knew fine well that his twitter (at the very least) was full of toxic, aggressive misogyny (and there are examples of worse) and they just didn't really care until it turned into public backlash.

So I think it is a pretty big deal that they currently don't want to be associated. Understandable that they don't, sure... but y'know. Tough ****. They are.
Oh 100% I agree with you there. Even within his circles it's becoming more apparent how open and known a lot of his behaviour was and either just accepted or ignored. The whole industry needs to look at itself really.

I just think the focusing on his new show being taken down (for now) is a little bit of an unnecessary complaint. It's not banned and gone forever. (Regardless of the fact the show was less than mediocre really ) To me it just distracts from the accusations, and makes Noel somehow seem a victim of "cancellation" or whatever. Kind of like the twitter users who are going with the notion that all these women are lying because they're so racist they can't stand to see a successful black man or something.
Old 03-05-2021, 09:10 PM #106
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:

my gripe is for all the others involved in that project... it could potentially have been their big break, and now it's gone to rat for them.
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 09:36 PM #107

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):

I'm completely unaware of his twitter , I don't know what he's been saying . But if it's offensive then obviously that has to be addressed. And the allegations obviously need to be looked into further.

I know some don't think it's a big deal about viewpoint.

But I cant help but think would they take the same measures if it was a big popular show like Line of duty?? ,if an actor in that TV show had been accused of multiple allegations hmm .

Last edited by GoldHeart; 03-05-2021 at 09:36 PM.
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-05-2021, 10:14 PM #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
I'm completely unaware of his twitter , I don't know what he's been saying . But if it's offensive then obviously that has to be addressed. And the allegations obviously need to be looked into further.

I know some don't think it's a big deal about viewpoint.

But I cant help but think would they take the same measures if it was a big popular show like Line of duty?? ,if an actor in that TV show had been accused of multiple allegations hmm .
I think there'd be a bigger reason to take the show off the air (for the time being) if it was an actor in a major show. Their presence on TV during a time when the allegations were made would be a much bigger deal.
Old 04-05-2021, 12:17 PM #109
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

It seems extraordinary to me that people who claim to have been sexually assaulted would go to the newspaper and not to the police.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 08:47 PM #110

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
It seems extraordinary to me that people who claim to have been sexually assaulted would go to the newspaper and not to the police.
Another valid point ,but then again if you're in the public eye it's all going to come out in the papers anyway .
Old 04-05-2021, 10:47 PM #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
They should've made a thread on here really shouldn't they, with their wild claims?
Old 05-05-2021, 01:08 AM #112

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
They should've made a thread on here really shouldn't they, with their wild claims?
Well like I said if he's been saying and doing inappropriate things in front of people and on social media, then it's all out there already .
Old 05-05-2021, 04:53 AM #113
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Quote:
thats not even hinted at in the post you refer to, so how you can come up with that response is beyond me.
Old 05-05-2021, 01:15 PM #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
thats not even hinted at in the post you refer to, so how you can come up with that response is beyond me.
You didn't understand my post? Ok.
Old 07-05-2021, 02:03 PM #115
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

The BBC has said it is "shocked" to hear allegations by several women that actor Noel Clarke sexually harassed them on the set of Doctor Who.

Mr Clarke played Mickey Smith in the BBC drama from 2005 to 2010.

The Guardian has quoted five women, including an unnamed actress, who it says have claimed that he touched them inappropriately or made sexual remarks.

He denied all the claims. He has previously "vehemently" denied sexual misconduct or criminal wrongdoing.

The latest reports come a week after 20 women told The Guardian that Mr Clarke, 45, had harassed or bullied them during his career as a TV and film actor, writer, director and producer.

Last week, he said he understood that "some of my actions have affected people in ways I did not intend or realise" and said he was "deeply sorry" to those people. But he denied that his actions constituted sexual misconduct or criminal wrongdoing.
He told The Guardian that he strongly denied the latest allegations. His representatives have not responded to a BBC request for comment.

A BBC spokesman said: "The BBC is against all forms of inappropriate behaviour and we're shocked to hear of these allegations.

"To be absolutely clear, we will investigate any specific allegations made by individuals to the BBC - and if anyone has been subjected to or witnessed inappropriate behaviour of any kind we would encourage them to raise it with us directly.

"We have a zero tolerance approach and robust processes are in place - which are regularly reviewed and updated to reflect best practice - to ensure any complaints or concerns are handled with the utmost seriousness and care."

Last week, Sky "halted" its work with Mr Clarke, including on the fourth series of crime drama Bulletproof, while ITV dropped the final episode of his drama Viewpoint from its broadcast schedules. The BBC said it would "not be progressing any projects with Noel Clarke at this time".

Bafta has suspended his membership, weeks after giving him an outstanding contribution award, and the Metropolitan Police have said they have received allegations of sexual offences from a third party.

Meanwhile on Friday, Doctor Who and Torchwood actor John Barrowman was said by The Guardian to have repeatedly exposed himself on set. It said that was regarded as "larking about" and "joking" rather than sexually predatory behaviour.

A video of Mr Clarke joking about Mr Barrowman's behaviour at a 2015 sci-fi convention resurfaced and went viral last week.

In 2008, Mr Barrowman apologised for exposing his genitals during a live BBC Radio 1 broadcast. At the time, he said he "was joining in the light-hearted and fun banter of the show and went too far".

In a new statement to The Guardian, he said his "high-spirited behaviour" was "only ever intended in good humour to entertain colleagues on set and backstage".

He added: "With the benefit of hindsight, I understand that upset may have been caused by my exuberant behaviour and I have apologised for this previously. Since my apology in November 2008, my understanding and behaviour have also changed."

Mr Barrowman added that he was never made aware of any allegations against Mr Clarke.

Mr Barrowman has not responded to a BBC request for further comment.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-57021060

--------------------

Doesn't seem like the BBC has been learning many lessons

Last edited by bitontheslide; 07-05-2021 at 02:04 PM.
Old 07-05-2021, 03:23 PM #116

There's not really much the BBC can do if it wasn't reported at the time?
Old 20-05-2021, 02:10 AM #117

Last edited by arista; 20-05-2021 at 02:11 AM.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 12:52 PM #118

[Fury as police drop sex harassment and bullying probe
against Bafta star Noel Clarke:
Campaigners condemn Met Police who say allegations
from up to 20 women
'don't meet threshold for criminal investigation'

Noel Clarke, 46,
will not be subject to a
criminal investigation, the Met confirmed

The actor had up to 20 sexual harassment
and bullying allegations against him
These do not 'meet the threshold for
a criminal investigation', the Met said]

[Mr Clarke pictured with his wife,
former make-up artist Iris Da Silva,
at the 70th EE British Academy Film Awards
at Royal Albert Hall in February 2017]

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...el-Clarke.html

Sign Of The Times
Old 27-03-2022, 01:00 PM #119

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
[Fury as police drop sex harassment and bullying probe
against Bafta star Noel Clarke:
Campaigners condemn Met Police who say allegations
from up to 20 women
'don't meet threshold for criminal investigation'

Noel Clarke, 46,
will not be subject to a
criminal investigation, the Met confirmed

The actor had up to 20 sexual harassment
and bullying allegations against him
These do not 'meet the threshold for
a criminal investigation', the Met said]

[Mr Clarke pictured with his wife,
former make-up artist Iris Da Silva,
at the 70th EE British Academy Film Awards
at Royal Albert Hall in February 2017]

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...el-Clarke.html

Sign Of The Times

But yet it seemed his career was ruined, ITV even took his program off air . So now all those allegations don't matter?. I don't get it.

Last edited by GoldHeart; 27-03-2022 at 01:01 PM.
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 01:05 PM #120

Quote:

But yet it seemed his career was ruined, ITV even took his program off air . So now all those allegations don't matter?. I don't get it.

Yes

He should try Netflix
they are making a film a week.

Also
ITV got into a panic mode
Old 27-03-2022, 02:07 PM #121
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Quote:

It's not that they don't matter, but for whatever reason there doesn't seem to be enough evidence to prosecute him. But a network doesn't need the same standards when it comes to removing someone from their world.

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 03:54 PM #122
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
It's not that they don't matter, but for whatever reason there doesn't seem to be enough evidence to prosecute him. But a network doesn't need the same standards when it comes to removing someone from their world.
Exactly, something doesn't have to be criminal to breach professional standards, e.g. Doctors and nurses etc. are struck off the register all the time for things that wouldn't meet the threshold of criminal charges.
Old 27-03-2022, 04:01 PM #123
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy
🌈😈🌈👊🏾🌈👻🌈🫦🌈🔥🌈

Favourites (more):
CBB17: Tiffany Pollard
CBB14: Frenchy

black lives matter
UserSince2005 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 04:20 PM #124

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Him and Schofield, the teflons of ITV.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-05-2022, 11:28 PM #125

[Now hear MY story: Noel Clarke's career imploded
after more than 20 women accused
him of sex offences but police have
yet to bring any charges...Is he one more
victim of cancel culture – or a predator who
just got what he deserved?]

Writer at the DM Sarah Oliver

[Noel Clarke's twin Bafta statuettes sit on the
bookshelves of his West London home.
Once they represented the pinnacle of his
achievement as an actor, writer, producer
and director.
Today the bronze faces stare blankly
out over a career that lies in tatters.

Until a year ago Clarke was part of the
British film and TV establishment.
He could be seen on screen in the
BBC's Doctor Who and top-rated police dramas
on ITV and Sky.]

[He'd traced his roots in an episode of
Who Do You Think You Are?
and written and starred in the
acclaimed Hood Trilogy of youth
culture films, directing two of them
Today he is a pariah after a string of
highly damaging allegations led to the
British Academy of Film and
Television Arts suspending his membership,
and withdrawing his 2021 Bafta award
for outstanding contribution to
British cinema just nine days after
he was handed the coveted gong.]

[In the past year, Clarke and his wife Iris,
who have been together for two decades,
have had a new baby they haven't dared
tell anyone about.
Financially the family has been left
'running on fumes'.
Most seriously, at his lowest,
Clarke was suicidal.
He pocketed a folding hunting knife bought
as a souvenir while filming Auf Wiedersehen,
Pet in Arizona 20 years ago and planned
to cut his own throat.]

[Clarke makes a plea for the context of incidents
and conversations
to be considered and
for women to 'differentiate between an
evil guy and someone who might have
made a mis-step'.

He also believes the entertainment industry
needs to clean out its Augean stables
in a calm and rational manner, saying: 'I am not trying
to excuse evil men. But I think we are all here' – he means
at this impasse – 'because of them.

'I'm not a predator. I have crossed the road to avoid
walking behind women since I was 15 years old.'

He acknowledges that not all of his past
behaviour has been beyond reproach,
particularly when events of almost two
decades ago are judged by the standards of today.]

Whoever was behind the 'assassination',

as Clarke refers to it,
then emailed the TV companies he worked for.
And anonymous requests for information
were sent, unsolicited,
to women who might know him, saying:
'We are working with and led by survivors
of Noel Clarke. The number is very high…'

'I've been a regular dude, for sure, I flirt.
Have I ever made a saucy comment?
One hundred per cent.
But not to the extent that it warranted the
destruction of my life.]

In Full on this Link
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...-deserved.html

Should he go back to acting?

Should he go on ITV1HD "This Morning"?
or all 4 TV news stations?

Last edited by arista; 28-05-2022 at 11:35 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
20, accused, bafta, clarke, harassment, noel, sexual, suspended, women