Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 25-05-2021, 11:47 AM #1
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

Default Is TOWIE like professional wrestling?

Everyone knows that WWE is "scripted", or at least very planned out. Professional wrestlers generally have contracts which say that in general appearances and public-facing social media, they have to stay "in character" and honour any feuds etc they're being depicted as being part of in the show.

Do the actors from shows like TOWIE, MiC, Geordie Shore, etc have to pretend it's all real?

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-05-2021, 12:15 PM #2
-

-

Pretty much all reality TV is these days; although it's usually SLIGHTLY "more real" than WWE. Friendships, relationships, rivalries etc. tend to be more-or-less "real", just played up to the cameras and given loose "storylines". In WWE, quite obviously, much of the "hatred and rivalries" and "enemy factions" are perfectly friendly in the locker room and during training... since they will literally be working together in training and putting together choreography.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 25-05-2021 at 12:16 PM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-05-2021, 12:18 PM #3

Yes Oliver
well spotted
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-05-2021, 07:13 PM #4

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Most of those shows are manipulated by producers, or scripted to a point . All the people in Towie, MIC & Geordie swear blind it's all 'REAL' but I don't believe them. And they all play up to the camera's and they're told where to stand etc.

I don't watch any of those programs, as they look like try hard soaps . It's boring seeing a bunch of people spend money like it's water and having affairs with silly cat fighting
Old 26-05-2021, 12:06 AM #5

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace

Favourites:

I mean yeah i guess, in the sense that it's scripted. Two main differences, wrestlers work hard, and wrestlers actually have talent. Neither of those things apply to reality tv cast members.
Old 26-05-2021, 05:51 AM #6
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

…I recall quite a few years ago when the final scenes of The Hills were shot in the USA and then we saw the ‘backdrops’ being removed to leave the movie sets…there are obviously aspects of truth and quite a bit of truth…their homes, their careers, their families and relationships etc…probably most of it truth…but ‘tweaked’ and manipulated for dramatic purposes to creat more interest and OMG cliffhangers….
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 06:04 AM #7
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
I mean yeah i guess, in the sense that it's scripted. Two main differences, wrestlers work hard, and wrestlers actually have talent. Neither of those things apply to reality tv cast members.
…Obviously reality TV isn’t as physical as wrestling and not something that would have to be trained for in the same way…but I don’t agree that there is no talent…I mean, reality TV is a genre I think in its own right and obviously a relatively new genre…it doesn’t for instance portray itself in the same vein as acting…although there is an element of acting involved but it is separate to that, I think…when we think of how much reality tv there is now and it really has become quite substantial…there are still relatively few huge celebrities in that genre…well in any long term career way because reality TV celebrity is very fast moving…it’s like the speed dating version of celebrity for most I would say…so the more established and long term reality tv celebrities could definitely be described as talented in their genre…someone such as Gemma Collins…

Last edited by Ammi; 26-05-2021 at 06:04 AM.
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 10:45 AM #8
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
To be fair, as some reality TV stars are quite entertaining and others are not entertaining at all, it can't be true that there's NO talent involved. Although I suspect it tends to just be down to personality, not a honed skill.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 11:17 AM #9
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

i think people underestimate the skill required to do anything meaningful in front of a camera. I was interviewed once on TV and i was literally like a cat caught in the headlights. Words just didn't form in my mouth as they should
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-05-2021, 02:47 PM #10

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
…Obviously reality TV isn’t as physical as wrestling and not something that would have to be trained for in the same way…but I don’t agree that there is no talent…I mean, reality TV is a genre I think in its own right and obviously a relatively new genre…it doesn’t for instance portray itself in the same vein as acting…although there is an element of acting involved but it is separate to that, I think…when we think of how much reality tv there is now and it really has become quite substantial…there are still relatively few huge celebrities in that genre…well in any long term career way because reality TV celebrity is very fast moving…it’s like the speed dating version of celebrity for most I would say…so the more established and long term reality tv celebrities could definitely be described as talented in their genre…someone such as Gemma Collins…
I mean someone like Gemma Collins has found a niche i guess, and a fan base for doing the reality tv rounds. I still wouldn't call what she does 'talent' but then i can agree not everyone could pull off such a persona (whether you like her not, which i can't say i do )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
To be fair, as some reality TV stars are quite entertaining and others are not entertaining at all, it can't be true that there's NO talent involved. Although I suspect it tends to just be down to personality, not a honed skill.
Some can do what they do 'well' but i wouldn't call any of them talented, in the true sense of the word anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
i think people underestimate the skill required to do anything meaningful in front of a camera. I was interviewed once on TV and i was literally like a cat caught in the headlights. Words just didn't form in my mouth as they should
It depends how much you want it, fame that is. Some people are quite natural with the attention focused on them, be it camera etc. It's not for everyone though.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
professional, towie, wrestling