Notices

Chat and Games Looking for forum games, and completely off topic banter - this is your place! (includes Virtual Big Brother type forum games)

Old 16-06-2021, 07:34 AM #26
TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

must remain in the shed until the weekend (our own health and safety procedure what we normally do and now even more)

u never know if any covid germ is on the packaging

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.

Spoiler:

Israel we Love You
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 08:22 AM #27
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
Actually TS, I meant to ask you about your ubi pass. Do you get DLC with it or is it just base games? Reason I'm asking is Ubi have announced loads of their future releases will be free, so they can hammer microtransactions, so wondered if you knew how that would affect your deal.

And I know you have it on PC, but I presume the same thing is for XBox?
Not 100% if it's on Xbox; I know PS5 doesn't have it . Everything on Ubi+ is the "ultimate editions", so include DLC and any "bonus item" type stuff that you get on purchase like pre-order bonuses and things like that. They do still already have tonnes of stuff behind microtransactions though, mostly cosmetics like costumes/weapons/mounts. Fenyx Rising for example has TONNES of purchasable costumes, but they're purely visual changes. So I'd say that's basically how it is right now. Actual content is all included, things that are purely aesthetic are not. Also what I'd consider "cheat items" are not included, e.g. the Assassin's Creed "map upgrades" that show all optional stuff on the map etc.

I have to say it's a concerning trend though. I don't mind microtransations IF they're kept purely to bells & whistles like a nice new hat for your character, a slightly faster horse, or whatever... but honestly when games go down this route there's always the risk of two things happening. 1) the storyline goes out the window and the games become about grinding... and 2) They end up making the game unreasonably difficult or unplayable without microtransactions. Valhalla for example lets you purchase resources for crafting/upgrading so that you don't have to spend ages collecting them yourself. Game companies can very quickly fall into the trap of making it take FOREVER to gather enough resources for an upgrade you want, leaving you tempted to drop the £3 on a "resource pack"...

EA went down this route hard and it did NOT end well for them in Western markets. Free-to-play model is more popular in Asian markets.

So again hoping they don't wreck their "main" franchises with this.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 11:17 AM #28
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Not 100% if it's on Xbox; I know PS5 doesn't have it . Everything on Ubi+ is the "ultimate editions", so include DLC and any "bonus item" type stuff that you get on purchase like pre-order bonuses and things like that. They do still already have tonnes of stuff behind microtransactions though, mostly cosmetics like costumes/weapons/mounts. Fenyx Rising for example has TONNES of purchasable costumes, but they're purely visual changes. So I'd say that's basically how it is right now. Actual content is all included, things that are purely aesthetic are not. Also what I'd consider "cheat items" are not included, e.g. the Assassin's Creed "map upgrades" that show all optional stuff on the map etc.

I have to say it's a concerning trend though. I don't mind microtransations IF they're kept purely to bells & whistles like a nice new hat for your character, a slightly faster horse, or whatever... but honestly when games go down this route there's always the risk of two things happening. 1) the storyline goes out the window and the games become about grinding... and 2) They end up making the game unreasonably difficult or unplayable without microtransactions. Valhalla for example lets you purchase resources for crafting/upgrading so that you don't have to spend ages collecting them yourself. Game companies can very quickly fall into the trap of making it take FOREVER to gather enough resources for an upgrade you want, leaving you tempted to drop the £3 on a "resource pack"...

EA went down this route hard and it did NOT end well for them in Western markets. Free-to-play model is more popular in Asian markets.

So again hoping they don't wreck their "main" franchises with this.
Cheers for the reply. I definitely feel if they're giving the games out then, they'll be hiding more than aesthetics behind the paywall in the future. My view was always the same as yours, as long as it's cosmetic fill your boots.

Resources were pretty scarce in Valhalla (there's practically no silver or titanium about), but fortunately you can always rely on Ubi to throw a bit of incompetence in the mix and a quick google shows how to farm unlimited resources, so if they tighten up that side of their games, then we're screwed!
Old 16-06-2021, 01:03 PM #29
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
Cheers for the reply. I definitely feel if they're giving the games out then, they'll be hiding more than aesthetics behind the paywall in the future. My view was always the same as yours, as long as it's cosmetic fill your boots.

Resources were pretty scarce in Valhalla (there's practically no silver or titanium about), but fortunately you can always rely on Ubi to throw a bit of incompetence in the mix and a quick google shows how to farm unlimited resources, so if they tighten up that side of their games, then we're screwed!
On this occasion I have to admit to being "part of the problem" ... ... I had some random $$ sat in my PSN account and I bought a resources bundle .

If they go to hard on it it's surely going to be temporary... EA learned the hard way that people don't like it and have scaled back massively in most titles, especially anything "story driven". But the damage to their reputation runs deep.

The thing is it CAN be done without too much disruption. Even Fortnight is a good example - the game plays exactly the same for everyone, but people WILL drop money on skins and decorations.

FarCry has also been fine in the past, usually just weapon skins and maybe some slightly more powerful guns, but nothing game-altering...

Like I said I don't really mind them experimenting with the format in some games but I hope (probably overly-optimistically) that they try to leave their "main" franchises alone .
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 06:51 AM #30
TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

going to install my ps4 this morning

i am going to recycle the usb cable of my old ps3 controller, you never know, maybe it is a similar one to the one which goes with ps4 controller, always handy to have a spare usb cable somehow

Spoiler:

Israel we Love You
Old 19-06-2021, 06:53 AM #31
Quand il pleut, il pleut

Quand il pleut, il pleut

…Happy installing day, Nicky…
Ammi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 11:09 AM #32
The other Shaun :)

Favourites (more):
Love Island 5: Maura
CBB22: Ryan Thomas

Favourites (more):

Nice keep hold of the PS3 tho since if you ever fancy playing the older games again you always have it ready to come back to.

I’d also recommend an extended storage since some games take up a lot of gb (glares at COD Cold War)

Dogeatdog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 12:47 PM #33
TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

TeamIsrael <3 <3 <3

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogeatdog View Post
Nice keep hold of the PS3 tho since if you ever fancy playing the older games again you always have it ready to come back to.

I’d also recommend an extended storage since some games take up a lot of gb (glares at COD Cold War)
woops, too late now

i got 500 GB

only thing which i need to get used to the way to insert discs, very different than with ps3, but i guess easier to no longer hold my tv provider mediabox (that one is on top of the console, i do love how this one is smaller than previous one)

so far i've installed, and had first beginnings with FIFA 21, Life is Strange, Telltale TWD definitive series

and of course the system update first of all which is also important

Spoiler:

Israel we Love You
Old 19-06-2021, 01:13 PM #34

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
woops, too late now

i got 500 GB

only thing which i need to get used to the way to insert discs, very different than with ps3, but i guess easier to no longer hold my tv provider mediabox (that one is on top of the console, i do love how this one is smaller than previous one)

so far i've installed, and had first beginnings with FIFA 21, Life is Strange, Telltale TWD definitive series

and of course the system update first of all which is also important
Same I have 500gb but an extended storage really helped me since I only have 2 games on my actual PS storage and that’s COD Warzone and BO Cold War and it’s shocking the amount of storage they take up. I’d defo recommend it.

I had the PS3 Super Slim and it had the bit that slides open to put the disc in which was kinda nostalgic, it reminded me of my PS1 days

Glad to know the install has gone well tho, also keep an eye out on the PS Store Nicky since there’s always deals on games to buy and some of them are really cheap

Dogeatdog is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-06-2021, 01:15 PM #35
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Not Nicky trying to force a disc in through a USB port?

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
arriving, ps4, today