Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 22-06-2021, 08:43 AM #1
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Default AMD Radeon Software

has anyone else had this program before alongside its desktop computer?

well i now can say out of experience, it is glitchy crap, i just tried updating it (itself told me it had a update ready of yesterday 21.5.2) harmless procedure etc i think, halfway through near 60% after flickering of the monitor screen which is standard during those updates, it said sorry something went wrong, and it kinda froze my computer more or less, couldn't get to start menu, had to reboot other way around ctrl + alt + delete, and there via on/off button to reboot

i don't think this is important, if u aren't playing games on your computer, right? i don't know myself, i ain't a computer nerd

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 08:50 AM #2
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

apparently someone in youtube comments said not to install 21.5.2 update since it uninstalls this program

why did i have to click on that

Old 22-06-2021, 01:43 PM #3
-

-

Much like "GeForce Experience" (the nVidia graphics cards version of this), it's not important even if you ARE playing games on your computer to be honest. "Boost" features are usually without any real substance... it keeps your drivers up to date but you can do that manually... and the other features really aren't necessary at all.

It's good practice to update your drivers before playing any "new release" game but other than that I'd say feel free to totally ignore software like this.

All that said - if your screen was flickering during an update, it was most likely updating the actual graphics drivers, not the software app (the flickering is because it has to briefly turn the card off and back on to apply the update).

Also as some bonus info, don't be scared to just hard reboot (cut the power and then turn back on) a modern Windows 10 PC. Nothing will happen and it's sometimes the only way to get a truly "fresh" reboot - "shutting down" is actually more like "sleep mode" (for fast startup) these days, similar to how it's been with Macbooks for years. You gotta totally cut the power to "really" turn it off.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 22-06-2021 at 01:44 PM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 01:50 PM #4
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Much like "GeForce Experience" (the nVidia graphics cards version of this), it's not important even if you ARE playing games on your computer to be honest. "Boost" features are usually without any real substance... it keeps your drivers up to date but you can do that manually... and the other features really aren't necessary at all.

It's good practice to update your drivers before playing any "new release" game but other than that I'd say feel free to totally ignore software like this.

All that said - if your screen was flickering during an update, it was most likely updating the actual graphics drivers, not the software app (the flickering is because it has to briefly turn the card off and back on to apply the update).

Also as some bonus info, don't be scared to just hard reboot (cut the power and then turn back on) a modern Windows 10 PC. Nothing will happen and it's sometimes the only way to get a truly "fresh" reboot.
the latter bit is something we do, as a last resort (one time recently we did when it got stuck when updating, hard reboot and it continued with finishing of the windows update installation)

but optional updates too are no longer a must for me now, since most of these don't add to the security or quality for your systems, the automatic ones are the quality updates and security updates mainly

i did upgrade my drivers few times, but this was first time it had an error during update, kinda relieved it uninstalled, i also told my dad to uninstall this manually to prevent that same s**t happening on his computer downstairs (he got same one as i have, also a AMD R7)

i don't play games on my computer, i have the PS4 for that, mainly using it for music via groove music, microsoft movies/tv for videos/movies) and i got windows pictures to open pictures, and 123 photo viewer

and as for internet browser, i am happy as ever still with Chredge, also monitor if it keeps itself up to date once in a while

i have songs stored onto external harddrive (very handy one i got which when not used goes into sleepmode, off and only turns on when you use it, doesn't get hot or even warm etc)

Old 22-06-2021, 01:57 PM #5

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace

That reminds me, i need to update my drivers.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
amd, radeon, software