Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Closed Thread

Old 24-06-2021, 03:35 PM #6076
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey
BB19: Sian

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Thursday 17/6/21

19 have Died.
11,007 have caught Covid-19

Patients in hospital
Latest available

Patients on ventilation
Latest available

127,945 Total UK Deaths

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/
Quote:
Thursday 24/6/21

21 have Died
16,703 have caught Covid-19

Patients in hospital
Latest available

Patients on ventilation
Latest available

Total UK Covid -19 Deaths

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 24-06-2021, 03:52 PM #6077
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

I'm failing to see how Boris claims that things are looking hopeful for July, when the numbers are now consistently rising.

Last edited by Scarlett.; 24-06-2021 at 03:52 PM.
Old 24-06-2021, 04:03 PM #6078

Quote:
The Transport Secretary
like last time, is not giving a set time he announces it

In the next 2 hours
they say
Old 24-06-2021, 04:06 PM #6079

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlett. View Post
I'm failing to see how Boris claims that things are looking hopeful for July, when the numbers are now consistently rising.
Yes he is still saying 19th of July
Old 24-06-2021, 04:48 PM #6080
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

https://www.dutchnews.nl/news/2021/0...vid-back-home/

Indian nationals in the Netherlands are watching the spread of coronavirus back home with dread as the death toll mounts. So far at least 400,000 people have died, although the real total may be far higher, and some 50,000 new cases are being reported on a daily basis.

A cyclone in West Bengal and the upward march of a fungal infection that is attacking Covid patients are making the situation even worse.

Travel between India and the Netherlands has been put on hold for months – although flights have now been resumed since the Netherlands brought in mandatory quarantine legislation. But this and other restrictions on travel from outside the EU means many Indian nationals in the Netherlands have not seen their family for over a year.

Having had enough of watching from the sidelines as the tragedy unfolds in their home country many are now involved with fundraising activities to try to help.

Sudip Lahiri, the head of financial services Europe at HCL, says the pandemic has had a devastating effect on the lives of many Indians regardless of whether they are staying in India or residing abroad.

‘I have lost several of my colleagues in the past six months and three of them are from my own team,’ says Lahiri, who has lived in the Netherlands for the past 20 years.

‘I personally had to be on phone calls during odd hours and coordinate with my network to ensure that the impacted people find oxygen and proper medical care. This has been devastating as a human being and sometimes I felt helpless because of the massive shortage of resources to support those who have been affected.’

Registered charities

Lahiri is one of the founders of the Indo Dutch Care network, a registered charity in the Netherlands that has sent several oxygen concentrators to West Bengal via its Bengal Calling programme.

‘While this is a small step, we are excited that we could contribute and do our bit,’ he says. ‘We are now planning the 2nd phase where we will send our next shipment to support the initiatives of the West Bengal government.’

Amit Ray, another of the Indo Dutch Care founders says that he too has been affected in many ways. ‘Many people I or my wife knew personally passed away from Covid and my own elderly parents were infected and hospitalized for some time,’ he says.

‘In particular, the devastating effect the pandemic was having on the poorer sections of society was difficult to deal with,’ says Ray, a resident of the Netherlands since 1998. ‘Apart from illness and death, they were having to cope with the loss of their jobs and struggling to put food on their plates.’

Education

This, says Ray, is why the Indo Dutch Care foundation will now start collecting relief for other sectors, such as providing food for the poor or sponsoring education for children whose parents have lost their livelihoods. ‘We also hope the Dutch government will help people to not only survive the pandemic but to put their children through school.’

Prashar Ayer, a commercial group leader at Cognizant who has lived in the Netherlands for 16 years, says he remembers hearing the devastating news on April 24. ‘People were dying because they could not breathe,’ he says. Ayer tried to organise shipments of oxygen concentrators as a practical help but was caught out by the weekend and the King’s Day festivities. ‘It was a terrible weekend,’ he says. ‘Everything was closed here, and in India people were dying.’

Over the following weeks, Ayer was able to use his vast network, including the Indian community leaders, social workers, and business school colleagues, to source and send oxygen contractors back to India, firstly to NGOs, later to private organisations. ‘Whatever we could get, we sent,’ he says. ‘After all, everything was going to get used.’

Horror story

‘It was a horror story that was being played out across India. We had to do whatever we could do,’ says Ayer, whose own parents, who have been vaccinated, live in Mumbai which is still in lockdown. ‘We just had to try to do something.’ Technology consultant Pramod Agrawal has not seen his friends and family for 1.5 years and says he has lost several people in his close network.

‘I have come to realise the power of simple courtesy phone call, small financial support or activating networks to arrange for some life-saving drugs back in India,’ he told DutchNews.nl.

Agrawal, who has lived in the Netherlands for 20 years, is on the steering committee at FIDE (Foundation for Indian Diaspora in Europe) and vice president in charge of programmes at the FCCI (Foundation for Critical Choices for India), both of which are involved in getting aid, particularly oxygen and drugs, to the areas affected the most.

‘We managed to raise nearly €50,000 in less than two weeks,’ he says. ‘Members got in touch with different governmental as well as non-governmental bodies in India to identify potential hospitals where they could facilitate the shipment of oxygen concentrators from Europe.’

In total, 136 oxygen concentrators have been shipped to various states across India so far.

Food aid

‘This was indeed a very powerful example of the type of public-spirited leadership that needed to get every aid safely to the other side of the pandemic,’ he says.

In addition, the foundation has identified 1,100 families in the suburbs of the city of Bangaluru who had no income and organized a supply of grocery packets to them.’

‘It is time, not to think just about the Netherlands or India,’ he says. ‘All countries have to come together in the fight against Covid-19. We simply can’t be protected here unless the global population gets vaccinated. This is time for solidarity and to share resources.’

Entrepreneur and publisher Satarupa Bose Roy has lived in the Netherlands for some 15 years and says she is finding it hard to watch the pandemic unfold in India from afar.

‘My father had coronavirus even after his second dose of vaccine and I had to arrange everything from here,’ she says. ‘Several of my close friends here have lost their parents in India and they were not able to go. This makes me all the more sad and worried and concerned.’

Donations

In particular, she says, the situation in West Bengal has been compounded by a cyclone a month ago, which washed away thousands of homes. ‘They don’t have drinking water, no shelter, no food. If coronavirus has taught me one thing, that is solidarity… a value that stands the test of time and circumstances.’

‘We are not working for a good cause anymore, we are working because there is a real need,’ she says. ‘So I would ask people to come together, join hands with us. Donate generously. Together we can make a difference.’

People who wish to donate to the relief effort in India should do so either through the FCCI or Indo Dutch Care Network or any small grassroots organisation in India they are familiar with, Ayer says.

‘But be warned,’ he says. ‘Bureaucracy can be a challenge sending money to a good cause in India, but if you are sending a small amount to a local group it should be okay.’

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Old 24-06-2021, 05:07 PM #6081
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Chancellor Rishi Sunak has said he expects to stop wearing a mask "as soon as possible" after it is no longer legally required in England.

He told the Times that the situation was "looking good" for an end to lockdown restrictions by 19 July.

Mr Sunak also said it was his "strong expectation" that society could then "get back to normal".

The final easing of Covid-19 restrictions is set to be reviewed over the next few weeks.

Part of this will involve deciding whether to end social distancing and the need to wear a mask in indoor public settings.

Coronavirus infection rates have increased since the last easing of restrictions in May - which saw the indoor reopening of pubs, cafes and restaurants - with the more contagious Delta variant, which originated in India, being blamed.

This delayed the planned final stage from 21 June to 19 July, subject to review.

But hospitalisations and deaths have not risen at anything like the same rate, while more than 43 million UK adults have had a first dose of Covid vaccine.

Speaking to the Times's CEO summit, Mr Sunak was asked if he expected to stop wearing a mask when it became legal not do so.

"Yes, as soon as possible," he replied. "Things are looking good for 19 July... and my strong expectation is we can lift these major restrictions then and get back to normal."

Earlier, Environment Secretary George Eustice said the "plan" was to remove the legal requirements for mask wearing on that date.

He told Sky News that there were "some people who might choose to wear masks or whether it may be advisory in some settings", adding: "That's a separate matter."

But tourism minister Nigel Huddleston said he "wouldn't be surprised" if he kept wearing a mask on the London underground after restrictions end.

Speaking to BBC Radio Sussex, he said: "No matter what happens in terms of legal requirements, some people will want to be cautious."

Face coverings - when worn over the nose and mouth - reduce the spread of coronavirus droplets from coughs, sneezes and speaking.

They currently have to be worn on public transport across the UK, unless people have a medical exemption.

Wearing coverings in shops was made compulsory in England last July.

They same thing happened in Scotland a few days earlier, with Northern Ireland following suit in August and Wales in September.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57596213
Old 24-06-2021, 05:33 PM #6082
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
the numbers are all BS and have been for ages
Old 24-06-2021, 05:50 PM #6083
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

the media need to stop publishing daily figures, identify hotspots and leave it at that. Everyone is rightly a bit apprehensive but we have to get life back to normal as much as we can. I still think its sensible to maintain distance where possible. We are going to have to get used to daily covid deaths, they are not going to go away any time soon and the same as any other virus we need to learn to live with it
Old 24-06-2021, 05:52 PM #6084
Who, Douglas?

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis
Who, Douglas?

Favourites (more):
BBUSA22: Janelle
Love Island 5: Curtis

Quote:
I think it’s moreso he wants to give as much protection as possible to the public, the extra 4 weeks means all adults could have had a dose and 75% of adults will have had two doses.

There’s not more they can do to prevent hospitilisations and deaths - being vaccinated means there is less than 0.01% chance of dying from covid, the survival rate is extremely high if vaccinated - with 65m people in the population though that means numbers will rise as restrictions end - but he’s protected the vulnerable by giving them their two doses saving people who would have otherwise have died

New Love Island least faves: Kaz, Tyler, Faye, Sharon, Rachel

Sig images and links removed for rule breaking - TiBB Staff
Old 24-06-2021, 06:13 PM #6085
-

-

Default Coronavirus Outbreak Transport Secretary Update

Indeed - essentially we now know, more or less for a fact, that it is not going to be possible to eliminate Covid with lockdowns and restrictions. Ever. It’s airborne, it’s too easily transmissible, and it just doesn’t work…

That leaves two options;
1) get to the point where everyone is as safe as possible, open up, and accept that it’s here to stay.

2) stay on lockdown literally forever.

There’s no option where we stay in lockdown longer and the situation improves. It will never improve. It’s going to be what it is when we reopen.

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 24-06-2021 at 06:14 PM.
Old 24-06-2021, 06:24 PM #6086
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

Here are the new Northern Ireland Green list countries, so we can assume that England will be very similar

From 04:00 BST on Wednesday 30 June these countries will be put on the green list for NI:

Anguila
Antigua and Barbuda
Balearic islands
Barbados
Bermuda
British Antarctic Territory
British Indian Ocean Territory
British Virgin Islands
Cayman Islands
Dominica
Grenada
Madeira
Malta
Montserrat
Pitcairn Islands
Turks and Caicos Islands
Old 24-06-2021, 06:43 PM #6087

Old 24-06-2021, 10:40 PM #6088

Old 24-06-2021, 10:42 PM #6089

Old 24-06-2021, 10:43 PM #6090

Old 24-06-2021, 10:48 PM #6091

Old 24-06-2021, 10:49 PM #6092

Old 24-06-2021, 10:50 PM #6093

Old 24-06-2021, 10:51 PM #6094

Old 25-06-2021, 02:40 AM #6095

[Covid: Green list expansion 'not enough', say travel bosses

The destinations added to the green list from 04:00 BST on 30 June are:

Europe: The Balearic Islands
(which include Ibiza, Menorca,
Majorca and Formentera),
Malta and Madeira

Caribbean: Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda,
Barbados, British Virgin Islands,
Cayman Islands,
Dominica, Grenada,
Montserrat and
Turks and Caicos Islands

Other British Overseas Territories :
Bermuda,
British Antarctic Territory,
British Indian Ocean Territory,
Pitcairn
]

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-57606348

Last edited by arista; 25-06-2021 at 02:42 AM.
Old 25-06-2021, 02:47 AM #6096

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ouncement.html

Last edited by arista; 25-06-2021 at 02:49 AM.
Old 25-06-2021, 07:09 AM #6097
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Emergency departments across the UK are seeing record numbers of young children - but most have a mild fever that could be treated at home, the Royal College of Paediatrics and Child Health says.
Winter viruses are flourishing as more people mix, and a doctor's chief says many A&Es are being "overwhelmed".
Experts say any infections are unlikely to be serious and GPs, pharmacies or NHS 111 should be the first option.
But A&E remains an option if parents are still concerned or in an emergency.
Always seek medical advice if your baby or child:
is under three months old and has a temperature of 38C (100F) or higher
is three to six months old and has a temperature of 39C (102F) or higher
has a fever lasting for more than five days, or is becoming more unwell
is not drinking well or is dehydrated with fewer than two wet nappies a day
develops a red rash that doesn't fade when a glass is rolled over it
has a fit or convulsion
is crying constantly, or it doesn't sound like their normal cry
The warning from doctors comes after the RCPCH collated data and the views of paediatricians in emergency departments across the UK.
It found children coming to A&E are mostly under the age of five - but they do not have coronavirus.
In most cases, their fevers, coughs and runny noses are caused by other respiratory infections such as RSV, bronchiolitis, the common cold and paraflu.
After disappearing last winter during lockdown when no-one was mixing in large numbers, these viruses have reappeared in the summer - but at winter levels, putting huge pressure on emergency departments in hospitals.
For most youngsters, treatment with children's paracetamol or ibuprofen will make them feel better after a few days.
'
BBC

Why would you take a child with a mild cold to A and E

'put a bit of lippy on and run a brush through your hair, we are alcoholics, not savages'
Old 25-06-2021, 07:32 AM #6098
self-oscillating

Favourites:

self-oscillating

Favourites:

the pandemic has generated huge amounts of paranoia. We all had these risks before and no-one gave them a second thought. The media and government need to calm things down or its just going to go on for ages. It's going to be crazy come winter if they dont stop all this fixation with daily death
Old 25-06-2021, 07:55 AM #6099
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
the pandemic has generated huge amounts of paranoia. We all had these risks before and no-one gave them a second thought. The media and government need to calm things down or its just going to go on for ages. It's going to be crazy come winter if they dont stop all this fixation with daily death
Surely if worried the best practice would be to take them for a PCR test before rocking up at A and E ...

Like our Jake did...you cant legislate for stupidity

Last edited by Cherie; 25-06-2021 at 07:57 AM.
Old 25-06-2021, 07:58 AM #6100
This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

This Witch doesn't burn

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Sky high...Malta 59.00 more expensive ...

Closed Thread

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
4pm, 6pm, conference, coronavirus, covid, downing, government, mandatory, minister, outbreak, plan, pm, prime, st, update