Notices

Chat and Games Looking for forum games, and completely off topic banter - this is your place! (includes Virtual Big Brother type forum games)

Old 01-07-2021, 04:16 PM #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Slim Reaper View Post
Good luck, don't really know much about Lidl tbh, but the advice I can give you is when they ask you if you have any questions, ask them whether they have any doubts about your ability to do the job, and this is for 2 reasons. The first being that if they do, then you can discuss the issues and gives you another chance, and if they don't, then they are reinforcing to themselves that you'd be a capable appointment.

Also the questions are likely to be along the lines of tell me a situation where you worked as a team/under pressure/had to go the extra mile etc, so I'd have a load of those answers prepared in advance. Look at the desirable checklist and workout examples for when you attained all of those expectations.
I personally wouldn't ask this question. You don't have doubts about your own ability so don't give them thought to any. It's working in Lidl, not for Microsoft. Supervision and Appraisal is for those issues of doubt and confidence and will enable you and your employer to put things in place to work on them and progress/develop. I'm a supervisor myself.

Expect it to be hard graft. They pay well, but expect a lot from their workers. As I'd expect any company tbf. I've also heard the interview process is intense.

Personally, I would get no job satisfaction from working in Lidl, but if you think you will enjoy it, which you obviously will or just to pay the bills, then go for it.

Dress smart. Don't underestimate this. Don't wear clothes that are too tight or don't fit, nice shoes etc.

Show curiosity and use some reverse psychology. Turn it on them and ask them what makes them love their job.

Be different.

And remember, they're interviewing you, but you're also interviewing them. It works both ways to see if the job will be compatible for you both.

Good luck

Last edited by ThomasC; 01-07-2021 at 04:21 PM.
ThomasC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:25 PM #27

By the way, I love your pic of Denver.

Can't wait for the next season of Money Heist. It is so awesome.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:52 PM #28
You know my methods

You know my methods

Make sure to ask how long the lunch hour is
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:56 PM #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Make sure to ask how long the lunch hour is

....and any early traps
rusticgal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-07-2021, 05:48 AM #30

I keep going in Lidl. There's a fit guy who works there. Hahaha.

Not the only reason, I like their humous and yoghurt
Old 02-07-2021, 07:32 AM #31
-

-

Default Got an Interview at Lidl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasC View Post
I personally wouldn't ask this question. You don't have doubts about your own ability so don't give them thought to any. It's working in Lidl, not for Microsoft. Supervision and Appraisal is for those issues of doubt and confidence and will enable you and your employer to put things in place to work on them and progress/develop. I'm a supervisor myself.
That was sort of my thinking too, I wouldn’t want to introduce doubt for entry level retail… interviewing for a management role internally or for a role that would prioritise previous experience then yea I can see how the psychology works but surely for entry level you want to seem totally confident. Slim may know better stats-wise having worked in recruitment. I’m just coming from the perspective of having been involved in hiring decisions, and as I said above to be fair, I was involved in hiring some truly incompetent staff .

Quote:
Personally, I would get no job satisfaction from working in Lidl, but if you think you will enjoy it, which you obviously will or just to pay the bills, then go for it.
To be fair I certainly got zero job satisfaction in entry-level retail and tbh very little in retail management, but I progressed quickly-ish (1.5 years serf, 4 years duty manager, 4 years manager before I escaped). Even at management level, it was OK, but not exactly challenging and I hated the industry I was in so there was that.

Anyway I guess my point is - even though I was mainly there climbing that grubby ladder to pay the bills and buy the kids new shoes - I wouldn’t have blagged the job I have now without that confidence, experience and evidence of managing responsibility. I’m now faaar away from dirty retail and love my job. Ethical company, massively flexible, huge scope for progression internally, massive springboard if I do decide to move on etc.

I guess a long winded way of saying, you don’t have to have immediate job satisfaction if you have a trajectory that might lead there… it’s all good experience and you never know what will come up.

To be fair I was in longer than I planned - I said “no more than 5 years” to myself when I started but then was being eyeballed for manager by that time, so I said “ok no more than 10 years “.

Got out at 9.5 years. Skin of my teeth

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 02-07-2021 at 07:33 AM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
interview, lidl