Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 14-07-2021, 08:13 AM #51
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammi View Post
…I don’t see how he was ‘cancelled’ anyway, surely this descriptive …(…which seems to be social media invented thing…)…manipulates anyway…he chose to use racist language on social media…he chose those words to represent him and if that was a representation of his ‘humour’ then others are also making decisions about how they would like to be represented…his agency no longer want to represent him/because what he’s chosen as a representation doesn’t align with their own choices…and also with any future venues that have been cancelled…the choice to have his act on their premises has been cancelled, he hasn’t been cancelled, he’s just now one of the many comedians that they haven’t chosen…

…this is what one said….and that’s perfectly reasonable, why would any of us pay for a service that went against our ethics and policies….

Chesham Comedy Club in Buckinghamshire announced its intention to cancel his show, writing on Twitter: "I know you won't particularly care, but we at Chesham Comedy club will not tolerate racism in any form so please consider your booking with us cancelled."

…they don’t choose to hire an act that goes against their racism intolerance policy…that’s an obvious choice because he has to make that same allowance for others, that they also have choices in how they’re represented just as he had when he used racist language…it was a ‘that’s me, this is who I am in my comedy, this is an example..’…he gave a ‘sampler’ and some venues have said no thank you, actually….

…just as a by the by, a headline from this morning….

Andrew Lawrence: Comedy club staff threatened with violence for axing comedian’s show following racist tweets

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-e...-b1883691.html
being banned from social media isn't cancelled, exactly

he messed up big time with those racist tweets

if he didn't go too far with those tweets, wouldn't have been banned, and also even more so wouldn't have been axed from that comedy club

his own fault this
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-07-2021, 01:19 PM #52

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Imagine losing your livelihood for stating a fact.
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
andrew, cancelled, comedian, lawrence, shows