Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Strictly Come Dancing Discuss the BBC's dancing show here.

Old 20-11-2021, 08:23 PM #651
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
1. Rhys & Nancy (+3) - The dance suited him really well imo.
2. John & Johannes (+3)
3. Rose & Giovanni (+3) - A better week for Rose. I hated the patronising comments from the judges though.
4. Dan & Nadiya (-1) - I thought that he actually did okay tonight, of course he isn't the best dancer in the competition, but I felt like he actually did American Smooth moves which is an improvement technically over some of his other dances.
5. Tom & Amy (-3)
6. Tilly & Nikita (+1)
7. Sara & Aljaz (+1)
8. AJ & Kai (-7) - Her first slip up of the competition imo. Hopefully AJ will do better next week if she stays this week.
To me I felt like this week was really dull apart from Dan's performance, but here's my rankings.

1. Dan & Nadiya (+3) - It was the only dance that I found fun this week.
2. AJ & Kai (+6) - A competent performance from AJ, I'm just not a huge fan of the Waltz personally.
3. John & Johannes (-1) - It was okay imo. John is clearly more of a Latin guy though so it'll be interesting to see what he does if he is still here next week.
4. Tilly & Nikita (+2) - It was better from Tilly imo, but a 40/40? That means the judges are saying that it's better than John's Paso, AJ's Charleston & Argentine Tango, and level with Rhys's Charleston, are they really sure about that? They might wanna have a rethink about that.
5. Rhys & Nancy (-4) - Definitely some synchronicity issues imo, I personally feel like it would've been much more up my alley if they could've fixed that problem imo.
6. Rose & Giovanni (-3) - I know that I'm in the minority on this one but I'm really sick and tired of Rose keep doing Disney-esque dances, and I just want a week where the Show treats Rose like a normal contestant, I asked of this from JJ last year and never got it, so if for some reason any of Strictly's production team are looking at posts on this Forum, please listen to me about my criticism towards Rose. She's gonna win anyway so why can't she have a non-Disney themed dance and have a whole VT, routine & judges comments that just comment on how she danced rather than on other aspects? Rose is a nice person and a decent dancer, but I am really resenting the fact that she's allowed to do the same dance over the last few weeks. I pulled up Ranvir last year for being repetitive so I'm gonna do the same to Rose.
7. Tom & Amy (-2) - No offence to Tom as he seems like a nice guy (and he had a great Paso imo) but again he does tend to just blend into the background which I can't stand when watching Talent Shows.

I like to stay consistent with my opinions on contestants so if anyone feels like I'm being unfair to any of the contestants then I'll definitely try to take it on board.

KRO!

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 20-11-2021 at 08:24 PM.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 08:46 PM #652
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
To me I felt like this week was really dull apart from Dan's performance, but here's my rankings.

1. Dan & Nadiya (+3) - It was the only dance that I found fun this week.
2. AJ & Kai (+6) - A competent performance from AJ, I'm just not a huge fan of the Waltz personally.
3. John & Johannes (-1) - It was okay imo. John is clearly more of a Latin guy though so it'll be interesting to see what he does if he is still here next week.
4. Tilly & Nikita (+2) - It was better from Tilly imo, but a 40/40? That means the judges are saying that it's better than John's Paso, AJ's Charleston & Argentine Tango, and level with Rhys's Charleston, are they really sure about that? They might wanna have a rethink about that.
5. Rhys & Nancy (-4) - Definitely some synchronicity issues imo, I personally feel like it would've been much more up my alley if they could've fixed that problem imo.
6. Rose & Giovanni (-3) - I know that I'm in the minority on this one but I'm really sick and tired of Rose keep doing Disney-esque dances, and I just want a week where the Show treats Rose like a normal contestant, I asked of this from JJ last year and never got it, so if for some reason any of Strictly's production team are looking at posts on this Forum, please listen to me about my criticism towards Rose. She's gonna win anyway so why can't she have a non-Disney themed dance and have a whole VT, routine & judges comments that just comment on how she danced rather than on other aspects? Rose is a nice person and a decent dancer, but I am really resenting the fact that she's allowed to do the same dance over the last few weeks. I pulled up Ranvir last year for being repetitive so I'm gonna do the same to Rose.
7. Tom & Amy (-2) - No offence to Tom as he seems like a nice guy (and he had a great Paso imo) but again he does tend to just blend into the background which I can't stand when watching Talent Shows.

I like to stay consistent with my opinions on contestants so if anyone feels like I'm being unfair to any of the contestants then I'll definitely try to take it on board.
You can't be being unfair because it's your opinion Mock.

You and I this week have as your first one, my last one,

I found the whole show hard going for musicals week.
The song choices really awful.

The judging ridiculous, no one warranted a 10 vote in my view tonight.

I love Strictly but this just may be the worst Strictly show tonight for me ever.
Sad to be saying that too.
Being honest, I really liked NONE of them tonight.
So I'm giving no votes on my phone to a single one this week.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 09:03 PM #653

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeysteele View Post

I love Strictly but this just may be the worst Strictly show tonight for me ever.
Tbf to the Show it is 19-20 Seasons in, so it's only natural that the Show will have duller episodes sadly.

I am like you though Joey that none of them were amazing tonight.

KRO!
Old 20-11-2021, 10:17 PM #654
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

1) Rose and Giovanni quickstep
I loved this. It was fun.
Rose does not choose the theme of the dances. Giovanni does. And I disagree that she's repetitive. I think she has shown she's quite versatile.
2) AJ and Kai
I loved this, despite the song being a bit of a dirge.
3)Tilly and Nikita
That was fabulous.
4)John and Johannes
I actually enjoyed it, but Johannes needs to stop overdancing.
5) Tom and Amy
Technically good, but lacked emotion.
6) Rhys and Nancy
As much as I like him, he's getting very repetitive.
Every week a fast number. Where's the ballroom?
7) Dan and Nadia
Dull dull dull.
First time I was bored during a Charleston.
And why is he only doing crowd pleasers? Where are the slower dances?

Last edited by Vanessa; 20-11-2021 at 10:18 PM.
Vanessa is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-11-2021, 10:54 PM #655

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
Rose does not choose the theme of the dances. Giovanni does. And I disagree that she's repetitive. I think she has shown she's quite versatile.
2) AJ and Kai
3)Tilly and Nikita
That was fabulous.
4)John and Johannes
5) Tom and Amy
6) Rhys and Nancy
7) Dan and Nadia
Dull dull dull.
In fairness I agree with what you're saying Vanessa about Rose on not having a say about her routines, however you're not showing that same courtesy to Dan who is only being given the crowd pleasing dances rather than choosing them for himself.

I would say as well that Rose has been the least versatile out of what's left in the competition imo, it doesn't make her the worst by any means, but to me doing generally slower schmaltzy Disney-esque routines isn't versatile imo, tbf Rhys isn't that versatile either, and John is borderline imo.

But to me at least Rose needs to come out of the Disney bubble, as I've already said she's gonna win regardless as she's the most popular, but to me she should be able to perform other types of slow dances and themes, and obviously she should show that she's got a bit of life in her and pull off a reasonably fast number, I'm not expecting anything radical with the tempo, but something that has a bit of a kick to it.

Also personally I really want the judges to give out a genuine opinion about Rose's performances rather than treating her with kiddie gloves, I feel like Rose and Tilly aren't being treated the same as everybody else in the competition imo.

Btw I apologies if I came across as confrontational Vanessa, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree about Rose's versatility.

KRO!

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 20-11-2021 at 10:55 PM.
Old 20-11-2021, 10:58 PM #656

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:

I have just noticed our radically difference of opinion about Dan's dance.

Tbh his dance is the only one I could rewatch again from this week's performances.

KRO!
Old 21-11-2021, 03:37 AM #657
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

Quote:
In fairness I agree with what you're saying Vanessa about Rose on not having a say about her routines, however you're not showing that same courtesy to Dan who is only being given the crowd pleasing dances rather than choosing them for himself.

I would say as well that Rose has been the least versatile out of what's left in the competition imo, it doesn't make her the worst by any means, but to me doing generally slower schmaltzy Disney-esque routines isn't versatile imo, tbf Rhys isn't that versatile either, and John is borderline imo.

But to me at least Rose needs to come out of the Disney bubble, as I've already said she's gonna win regardless as she's the most popular, but to me she should be able to perform other types of slow dances and themes, and obviously she should show that she's got a bit of life in her and pull off a reasonably fast number, I'm not expecting anything radical with the tempo, but something that has a bit of a kick to it.

Also personally I really want the judges to give out a genuine opinion about Rose's performances rather than treating her with kiddie gloves, I feel like Rose and Tilly aren't being treated the same as everybody else in the competition imo.

Btw I apologies if I came across as confrontational Vanessa, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree about Rose's versatility.
We Will have to agree to disagree on this.
Rose has done faster numbers as well. Like the party Latins.
Old 21-11-2021, 03:53 AM #658
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

We all have our favourites and that's fine.
Dan is my least favourite in there. I just don't like his dancing.
Old 21-11-2021, 07:05 AM #659
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I have just noticed our radically difference of opinion about Dan's dance.

Tbh his dance is the only one I could rewatch again from this week's performances.
The judges are the irritating ones this year even moreso than others.
What I don't like too is they say to Dan, he's not the best dancer they know that but are making allowances for his efforts.

With the others, such as John for instance, they are saying, we are at week nine and looking for more.

Well, the same applies to all no exceptions.

Dan does try it's just to me, he doesn't look a dancer and I think, sorry, he's gone as far as he can as to improvement.
When I think of the other Charleston dances this year which have been full of content and powerful and really attacked as to performing them.
I found his the worst of the lot so far.

It is for entertainment too I know but it is a dance competition.
So for me Dan doesn't impress me.
However that's just me and my view, frankly I thought all were given terrible songs except for footloose.
Plus I don't think any of the routines ended up connecting with the song choices.

AJs waltz, well there's not much you can do with a waltz so it stood out for me a bit more, despite the awful song choice there too.

Thinking of all the musicals there are, if this was the best they thought of, their judgements were poor in my opinion.
As to songs and roles to play.

Last edited by joeysteele; 21-11-2021 at 07:53 AM.
Old 21-11-2021, 07:44 AM #660
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Paul

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

AJ & Kai: hmmm it was beautiful yes and danced quite well too, but still Simon & Kristina have my favourite edelweiss waltz routine 9

Rhys & Nancy: didn't notice the mistake myself, i thought this was a perfect Jive, very good to see the variety in kicks and flicks despite it being so fast 10

Tom & Amy: no offense but i just hate most Les Mis songs, only one i like from those is Bring him Home, this was dull, and indeed agree with Cynthia it lacked storytelling, and as with contemporary you indeed gotta finish up each line and get emotion through each movement which was lacking here 6

Rose & Giovanni: solid and good fun quickstep, haven't seen one bad dance from you my lady 10

John & Johannes: a big no for me, i am getting tired of the switching of roles, have no clue at all who played the man and women here, while with Nicolas & Vadim, you had Vadim taking up the role of the male lead in the ballrooms, and more freestyling in the latins and all out of hold routines, beginners mistake from Johannes but hoping you get a second chance for the same-sex partnership as for this performance, it looked a bit weird and indeed very flatfooted 5

Tilly & Nikita: where on earth did that CARTWHEEL move come from, indeed agree with Shirley also couldn't tell who was the pro and who was the celeb, this was great 10

Dan & Nadiya: great swivel action, very impressive lifts again same as last week, good fun routine, but still capturing the right amount of class, style what Gene Kelly basically oozed himself too i enjoyed this a lot 9

great show

Taking part in Strictly Jake's Tibb does Strictly Game.
Nicky91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 07:45 AM #661
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

best journeys i agree with Anton are from Tilly and Dan this series

Old 21-11-2021, 07:47 AM #662
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
2) AJ and Kai
3)Tilly and Nikita
That was fabulous.
4)John and Johannes
5) Tom and Amy
6) Rhys and Nancy
7) Dan and Nadia
Dull dull dull.
Rhys wasn't repetitive at all, very fast yet technically very good dance and i personally did not see any mistakes

Tom's wasn't technically good, contemporary dance its basics are storytelling, getting emotion through each move, extending every line

Old 21-11-2021, 08:01 AM #663
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
We all have our favourites and that's fine.
Dan is my least favourite in there. I just don't like his dancing.

That's right Vanessa and we look for different things.
I haven't seen a progression from Dan as to much.

He's stayed much the same.

All the others have pushed to stronger things and sadly peaked too early maybe.
As the judges still see a possible progression from Dan.
Whereas the others have got their heights.

I mean as to Rose too, she can ONLY go down, they've had her to the top heights already.
Same really with AJ and John.

Plus to Nicky's point re John and Johannes.
One of the points the judges are looking for in the same sex couples,
As they were expecting too with the female couple last year.
Is the judges are looking at how they switch roles in the routines.
IF, they didn't attempt switching roles, then they'd be marked down by the judges.

That's one of the other expected elements the judges are looking for only from the same sex couples.
So they have to switch roles or lose marks.

I think however the public have decided who they want in the final already.
The judges failed badly last week in putting AJ bottom.

I feel the top 3 with the public are AJ, John and Rose.
With I'd guess Rose miles ahead of the lot.

Only a slip as to who is in any dance off could give the judges the chance to break those 3 and lose one of them

Last edited by joeysteele; 21-11-2021 at 08:06 AM.
Old 21-11-2021, 08:04 AM #664
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:

I mean as to Rose too, she can ONLY go down, they've had her to the top heights already.

IF, they didn't attempt switching roles, then they'd be marked down by the judges.

That's one of the other expected elements the judges are looking for only from the same sex couples.
Nicolas & Vadim didn't get marked down for their strategy and that worked

but then again Nicolas was Vadim's second same-sex partnership, and no Vadim isn't gay, he has a girlfriend but he enjoys the added challenge this same-sex dancing brings with that

so the BBC also choosing the only gay pro dancer for this first male same-sex couple, i would've paired John up with Graziano or with Kai considering he danced with Brian Dowling before

the flaws here are beginner mistakes from Johannes

Old 21-11-2021, 08:10 AM #665
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
Nicolas & Vadim didn't get marked down for their strategy and that worked

but then again Nicolas was Vadim's second same-sex partnership, and no Vadim isn't gay, he has a girlfriend but he enjoys the added challenge this same-sex dancing brings with that

so the BBC also choosing the only gay pro dancer for this first male same-sex couple, i would've paired John up with Graziano or with Kai considering he danced with Brian Dowling before

the flaws here are beginner mistakes from Johannes
They've said it 2 weeks in a row Nicky.
Commenting on John being really good as the leading role but that he needs to develop and get stronger in the following role.

They said it last night again.
John and Johannes are the first all male couple in the UK series.
These judges are expecting to see them switch roles in a routine.
So it's not their fault that they do so.

If they ever didn't..
The judges, these judges, would then say, we're disappointed as there was no alternating of roles.
That's what they're looking for in part as to this pairing..

Last edited by joeysteele; 21-11-2021 at 12:08 PM.
Old 21-11-2021, 11:45 AM #666
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

Rhys hasn't done a ballroom in ages. He's overdue one.
Dan is due a party latin.
Everyone has to do both latin and ballroom, except these two. Why are they doing only dances that suit them?

Last edited by Vanessa; 21-11-2021 at 11:45 AM.
Vanessa is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-11-2021, 01:49 PM #667
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

loved Cynthia last night as replacement for Craig

the 10 for Rose, well understandable since Cynthia does not look at dance techniques, and performance wise it was perfect, and to get a 10 from a actual musicals professional who won multiple awards and a double oscar nominee, that is quite special bit of praise

i also liked how Cynthia can do sign language better, much much better than Craig

Old 21-11-2021, 03:34 PM #668
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

looking forward to wicked group dance tonight

Old 21-11-2021, 03:42 PM #669
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky91 View Post
loved Cynthia last night as replacement for Craig

the 10 for Rose, well understandable since Cynthia does not look at dance techniques, and performance wise it was perfect, and to get a 10 from a actual musicals professional who won multiple awards and a double oscar nominee, that is quite special bit of praise

i also liked how Cynthia can do sign language better, much much better than Craig
Her technique was brilliant. It was Giovanni who messes up.
Old 21-11-2021, 03:46 PM #670
Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Zumi Zimi Zami

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Her technique was brilliant. It was Giovanni who messes up.
you dance as a team, so if Gio goes wrong she has to follow him

Shirley was sad about that moment how she couldn't channel her inner craig with the otherwise ''fab-u-lous'' comment

Old 21-11-2021, 06:11 PM #671

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
The judges are the irritating ones this year even moreso than others.
What I don't like too is they say to Dan, he's not the best dancer they know that but are making allowances for his efforts.

With the others, such as John for instance, they are saying, we are at week nine and looking for more.

Well, the same applies to all no exceptions.

Dan does try it's just to me, he doesn't look a dancer and I think, sorry, he's gone as far as he can as to improvement.
When I think of the other Charleston dances this year which have been full of content and powerful and really attacked as to performing them.
I found his the worst of the lot so far.

It is for entertainment too I know but it is a dance competition.
So for me Dan doesn't impress me.
However that's just me and my view, frankly I thought all were given terrible songs except for footloose.
Plus I don't think any of the routines ended up connecting with the song choices.

AJs waltz, well there's not much you can do with a waltz so it stood out for me a bit more, despite the awful song choice there too.

Thinking of all the musicals there are, if this was the best they thought of, their judgements were poor in my opinion.
As to songs and roles to play.
Oh Dan is the weakest dancer left in the competition imo, I just find his performances fun, I get that if you're looking for the best technical dancers then Dan is not someone that you're gonna like, I get that.

And I agree with you about John getting held to different standards compared to Dan and a few of the other contestants still in there, his Viennese Waltz isn't a classic, but they seriously tried to say that Tilly was 8 points better on the night, and I'm sorry but how was Rose's dance on the night better? Rose has been better than John some weeks, but this week was not a 5 point gap in her favour imo.

And obviously Dan and Tom only being 1 point behind him is on a technical level a joke.

And I agree with you that the night weren't good tbh, personally I never get why we have two similar themes like Movie night & Musicals night anyway, because to me Movie night plays a lot of Musical numbers, so we don't need Musicals as a theme imo.

KRO!
Old 21-11-2021, 06:16 PM #672

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:

I think however the public have decided who they want in the final already.
The judges failed badly last week in putting AJ bottom.

I feel the top 3 with the public are AJ, John and Rose.
With I'd guess Rose miles ahead of the lot.

Only a slip as to who is in any dance off could give the judges the chance to break those 3 and lose one of them
I feel like the final 3 will have Rhys & Tilly in there as the Show knows that they can't get many votes (with all due respect to them) and it'll be an easy win for whoever the production wants to win.

KRO!
Old 21-11-2021, 06:38 PM #673
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

Tilly and Rhys won't get to the final
They don't have enough support.
Old 21-11-2021, 06:38 PM #674
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

Tilly and Nikita have the samba next week. Taxi!
Old 21-11-2021, 06:51 PM #675
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I feel like the final 3 will have Rhys & Tilly in there as the Show knows that they can't get many votes (with all due respect to them) and it'll be an easy win for whoever the production wants to win.
It is highly possible what you say there Mock.
I do love your analysing of Strictly.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
2021, discussion, strictly, thread, weekly