Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Music This forum is for discussing artists, singles, albums, the charts and anything music-related.

Old 20-02-2008, 04:18 PM #1
Banned

Banned

Default Reverend slams \'talentless\' Leona

Quote:
Reverend slams 'talentless' Leona
Wednesday, February 20 2008, 16:20 GMT

By Alex Fletcher, Entertainment Reporter

Reverend and the Makers singer Jon McClure has claimed that Leona Lewis is "devoid of talent".

McClure criticised the Brit Awards for giving the X Factor winner four nominations, arguing that she was a part of an "endless stream of really bad records".

He told Metro: "I don’t like Leona Lewis. She’s nominated for four Brit Awards. Seriously, how can that happen? She’s so devoid of talent.

"She’s part of this endless stream who release really bad records. She can’t play anything, or write her own songs. What are you doing love? Stop."

The frontman also attacked the nu-rave scene, claiming that it had no relevance to genuine dance music fans.

"I’m not into all that new rave s**t. It’s a con. I love rave music but new rave isn’t rave music. It’s like New Order B-sides from 1985," he added.

"It’s rave music for people who hate raves, like Jurassic 5 is hip-hop for people who don’t like hip-hop."
I can't stand artists who are abviously so bitter, attention seeking and pathetic that they need to bitch about other artists to the media. How many Brit award nominations you got mate?

I used to actually like them, but i've gone off them now. I can't stand egotistical a**es like him.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 04:45 PM #2
can't nobody hold us down

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Joe McElderry

Favourites:

Who? Why shouldn't she receive 4 nominations? Her single was the biggest selling single last year, her album sold 2 million copies in 6 weeks, she's number one in fifteen countries and Bleeding Love won loads of awards. That amount of success should be snubbed?

She wasn't nominated for "Best Music Writer" or "Best Instrument Player" so why the hell is fussed about that? If she was then he could moan because we clearly haven't seen her do a lot of them.
MarkWaldorf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 04:55 PM #3
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

Those utter James Blunts [rhyming slang for a naughty word].

She has more talent in her belly button than they do altogether. Just because they're a bit different and insist on singing in the utter twattish style that mockney singers tend to do now (Kate Nash, Lily Allen...) does not mean that Leona's any less talented.

Urgh, that's made me really angry. Wankers.
Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 04:58 PM #4

Favourites:
BB12: Alex
X Factor 2011: Janet

Favourites:

Leona Lewis with wth put doubt the best singer around at teh moment, sounds like someone is jealous.
XxShortyxX is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 05:02 PM #5

Leona is big at the moment, so some artists will bash her just to make headlines. It's probably desperation for exposure or bitterness/jealousy that made them say this. Or both.

They may not like her, but to say she's talentless and state it as fact is ridiculous whether they like her or not, just because she's not to their tastes. For someone so talentless, she's done very well for herself without having to run off to the press and bash other artists for a bit of attention, like they have. In fact, she praises other artists and has never had a bad word to say about anyone else, even Jamelia, who has bashed her on more than one occassion.

The "really bad record" in question they referred to has had massive worldwide success, so their must be something good about it.

They said she can't write her own songs, which only shows they don't know what they're talking about. She had written lots of material before even enterting the X Factor, wrote lots of material for her current album as well, collaborating with different producers, and she has writing credits on the album.

I'm pretty sure she's said she can play the piano and is learning to play the guitar (or vice versa). So again, they don't know what/who they're talking about when they say "she can't play anything". Even if she couldn't play instruments, she still has a fantastic voice and that's the reason why she's built up the support she has.

"The frontman also attacked the nu-rave scene, claiming that it had no relevance to genuine dance music fans" And what does he mean by that? Music is subjective, people's tastes vary, who is he to decide what is genuine dance music and what isn't, or who is a genuine fan or who isn't? Silly music snob.

Sorry to type so much, but I am a fan so I had to go on a bit of a rant.
Wasted is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 05:13 PM #6
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Leon a is extremely talented. I'd like to know how many octaves are in her vocal range.

So what if she doesn't write her own material. Many great singers down the years have had to employ writers.
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 05:22 PM #7

Favourites:

Favourites:

Oh yeah, she wrote a full album before auditioning for The X Factor. I'm also sure I saw pictures of her on a guitar whilst recording Spirit. Even if she doesn't play it, she's learning.
Old 20-02-2008, 05:42 PM #8

Reverend of the what????? Who the ***** are they!
Hugo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 06:10 PM #9

TBH i dont give a **** what this guy says and i dont think most people do either because the biggest newspaper he could get this on is the Metro so that means not even the daily star would print this crap.and actualy Leona is a songwriter shes written over a huindred songs on her own she even wrote and prodused her own album before X factor and shes co written a few songs from her amazing debut album Spirit.
KKBL is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 06:13 PM #10

I wouldn't agree that she is talentless. But over-rated, boring, and predictable - yes.
Arneldo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 06:52 PM #11

Music snobs like him really do piss me off to be honest.Just because she's not to his taste, doesn't mean that she's talentless.He's off the mark about her not being able to write songs too
Dan_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 07:10 PM #12

Favourites:
BB11: Josie

Favourites:
BB11: Josie

talentless?what a stupid thing to say its so obviously a load of crap its actually funny.Boring,yes,talentless? you have to be kidding!
supernoodles! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-02-2008, 07:39 PM #13

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally posted by Arneldo
I wouldn't agree that she is talentless. But over-rated, boring, and predictable - yes.

How is she predictable and overrated?

The girl has more talent in her little finger then anyone who has won the X Factoror has been on the X Factor, she is up for 4 awards tonight, her ablum has sold millions, and her single was the most fatest downloaded song over, downloaded millions of times with in like minutes, and her single is the fastest saleing single ever, even if she is a bit overrated it's all for good reasons. She is the best singer with have and around at the moment, there will never be another Leona Lewis on the X Factor.
XxShortyxX is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 10:28 AM #14

Favourites:

Favourites:

She's over-rated for the right reasons. She's been around for less than a year and she's already had triple the success many UK artists who have been around for years have had. She works hard, she produces brilliant music and she deserves it.

I don't want this to turn into another Leona argument, because we know what happened last night. But yeah, she's over-rated for the right reasons.
Old 21-02-2008, 11:28 AM #15

Quote:
Originally posted by XxShortyxX
Quote:

The girl has more talent in her little finger then anyone who has won the X Factoror has been on the X Factor, she is up for 4 awards tonight, her ablum has sold millions, and her single was the most fatest downloaded song over, downloaded millions of times with in like minutes, and her single is the fastest saleing single ever, even if she is a bit overrated it's all for good reasons. She is the best singer with have and around at the moment, there will never be another Leona Lewis on the X Factor.
We have seen singers similar, and better, then Leona for years. I don't see what is so special about her really. It's all hype and I have yet to be surprised, shocked, entertained or amused by any of her songs/performances.

She is defiantly talented, but I find her boring, predictable and overrated.
Old 21-02-2008, 11:41 AM #16

I really like Reverend and the Makers, and would listen to them over Leona Lewis any day. But that's just because I don't like Leona's music. There's no doubt that she has got a brilliant voice, but her songs are pretty bland really.
Ruth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 01:04 PM #17
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

Quote:
Agreed. I also agree with what he has to say about the nu-rave scene. Please. Its non existent. A term coined by NME so that twats who go around wearing all the colours of the rainbow on their right arm can have something to call themselves.
Stu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 01:12 PM #18

Bitter. I like Leona Lewis. I voted for her when she was on X factor cause she has a amazing voice, thats a huge talent.
CassetteFinger is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 01:31 PM #19

Quote:
Quote:

Well of course she has more talent than most X Factor contestants, because most of them are mediocre at best. And yes, her single was downloaded millions of times in minutes, but that would have probably happened whoever had won.

She's a great singer (Amy Winehouse is better though) with a terrific voice, but her songs are a bit bland and boring.
Old 21-02-2008, 01:35 PM #20

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruth
Quote:
Quote:

And yes, her single was downloaded millions of times in minutes, but that would have probably happened whoever had won.
When Leon one his downloads didn't even come close to Leona's. Leona definitely has a large fanbase (of course over-ran by Take That's parade of teenage girls) which is why she's broke so many records. Even 11 months later millions of people were still interested in her music.
Old 21-02-2008, 01:37 PM #21

But Leon was rubbish, and shouldn't have won.

I'm not knocking Leona - she's got a terrific voice (but I've heard better), but her songs are boring, at least to me. We all have different opinions. I'm just saying you can't use X Factor as a real frame of reference, because there's far better talent out there than you see on an average series of X Factor.
Old 21-02-2008, 01:54 PM #22
Altar Ego

Altar Ego

She undoubtedly has an amazing voice , but when that voice is the centrepiece of what are mostly dumb , cliched , and incredibly uninspired pop songs. Yawn.
Stu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 02:02 PM #23

douche bag!

(but he has good songs)
:)tom:) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-02-2008, 02:10 PM #24

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally posted by Morpheus
She undoubtedly has an amazing voice , but when that voice is the centrepiece of what are mostly dumb , cliched , and incredibly uninspired pop songs. Yawn.
...and that's your opinion.
Old 21-02-2008, 02:10 PM #25

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkChap©
Quote:
Originally posted by Ruth
Quote:
Quote:

And yes, her single was downloaded millions of times in minutes, but that would have probably happened whoever had won.
When Leon one his downloads didn't even come close to Leona's. Leona definitely has a large fanbase (of course over-ran by Take That's parade of teenage girls) which is why she's broke so many records. Even 11 months later millions of people were still interested in her music.
Lets not forget Leona got a lot of downloads straight after the finale, and after Leon won his single wasn;t available for 2 days and even then it was in Albums and not singles because of iTunes mistake. If it wasn't for that, he would have go way more downloads.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
'talentless', leona, reverend, slams