Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 01-06-2022, 11:09 AM #276
-

-

To be fair, you can't take polling of young people as indicative of future polling results once those younger people are no longer young... opinions change over time.

Neither of them are good role models of course - what a daft suggestion that they even could be. "My role model is a blueblood Royal who was born into unimaginable wealth ". It's not a realistic "role" to be "modelled", is it.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:34 AM #277

Favourites (more):
BB17: Andy
BB14: Dan

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
To be fair, you can't take polling of young people as indicative of future polling results once those younger people are no longer young... opinions change over time.

Neither of them are good role models of course - what a daft suggestion that they even could be. "My role model is a blueblood Royal who was born into unimaginable wealth ". It's not a realistic "role" to be "modelled", is it.
I think William and Kate are excellent role models, but I suppose dignity and dedicating your life to duty and service and doing loads of charity work and creating foundations isn’t what the youth admire, (and a few much older folk too, it seems.)
Vacuous, virtue signalling “mememe, look at wonderful meeeee!!!” all talk and little action celebs fit the bill better.
jet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:49 AM #278

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet View Post
I think William and Kate are excellent role models, but I suppose dignity and dedicating your life to duty and service and doing loads of charity work and creating foundations isn’t what the youth admire, (and a few much older folk too, it seems.)
Vacuous, virtue signalling “mememe, look at wonderful meeeee!!!” all talk and little action celebs fit the bill better.
They are doing their job though. Dedicating their life to service is no different to any person doing the job they are paid to do. They are paid handsomely for what they do - if they didn't have the money and trappings they were born into they wouldn't be doing what they do. Personally, I don't think any "celebrity" type people are role models.

The role models I hope my kid looks up to are the local heroes who work for charities in their free time, provide hope to the hopeless and actually make a difference to people's lives. These are the types of people who should be classed as role models.

Not celebrities, royal or otherwise, who do their job, cut a few ribbons and endorse a charity whilst other people actually do the graft.
Old 01-06-2022, 11:51 AM #279
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 8: Chris
Apprentice 2019: Lottie

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:

Quote:
I agree with both of you

Being born in royalty means Prince Will isn't exactly an achievable role to follow and Kate wasn't exactly born into poverty either ...

But they have a good work ethic, and good family values. What's not to like in that?

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:58 AM #280
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oliver_W View Post
I agree with both of you

Being born in royalty means Prince Will isn't exactly an achievable role to follow and Kate wasn't exactly born into poverty either ...

But they have a good work ethic, and good family values. What's not to like in that?
the word i would use to describe William and Kate is insipid. Princess Diana was a trail blazer, everywhere she went there was genuine excitement, William and Harry are both completely forgettable bores. With Diana people really thought royalty was moving forward, that's just not the case now
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:59 AM #281

They should just go straight to King Harry

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zizu is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:49 PM #282
POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

POW! BLAM!

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
the word i would use to describe William and Kate is insipid. Princess Diana was a trail blazer, everywhere she went there was genuine excitement, William and Harry are both completely forgettable bores. With Diana people really thought royalty was moving forward, that's just not the case now
I don't think much to Princess Di - I mean, I can barely remember her but from recollections and clips etc she seems more like Meghan than the commonly-compared Kate.

She seemed narcissistic and bland, a bit cringey ... she once.said something to the tune of "I like to think of myself as the queen of people's hearts"

Oliver_W is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 12:54 PM #283

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieK View Post
They are doing their job though. Dedicating their life to service is no different to any person doing the job they are paid to do. They are paid handsomely for what they do - if they didn't have the money and trappings they were born into they wouldn't be doing what they do. Personally, I don't think any "celebrity" type people are role models.

The role models I hope my kid looks up to are the local heroes who work for charities in their free time, provide hope to the hopeless and actually make a difference to people's lives. These are the types of people who should be classed as role models.

Not celebrities, royal or otherwise, who do their job, cut a few ribbons and endorse a charity whilst other people actually do the graft.
But it’s not like any other job, is it? Always having to be on your best behaviour and dignified at all times, being gaped at and photographed wherever you go, having security tagging on to you every time you go out, the press always looking for you to mess up, endless boring engagements and charity functions, speech giving, research, tours, letter writing (I read a while ago that William and Kate write around 250 handwritten letters a WEEK between them (charity related, thank you’s etc)! Representing your country in such a prominent way is a huge responsibility.

Harry was born into it and look at him - he scarpered and doesn’t have a job to speak of.
Old 01-06-2022, 01:00 PM #284

Quote:
But it’s not like any other job, is it? Always having to be on your best behaviour and dignified at all times, being gaped at and photographed wherever you go, having security tagging on to you every time you go out, the press always looking for you to mess up, endless boring engagements and charity functions, speech giving, research, tours, letter writing (I read a while ago that William and Kate write around 250 handwritten letters a WEEK between them (charity related, thank you’s etc)! Representing your country in such a prominent way is a huge responsibility.

Harry was born into it and look at him - he scarpered and doesn’t have a job to speak of.
It IS like a lot of jobs Jet. They have a lot of staff to help and then they go home to riches beyond most peoples imaginations.

Most people have to be up, get the kids ready, do school runs, look presentable, drive themselves to work, go to meetings, represent the company they work for, make presentations, do their own research, write their reports, letters whatever, pick up the kids, do the shopping, cook the dinner, pay the bills, worry about paying the bills, do the kids activities, make sure that homework is done, packed lunches are ready etc etc etc

The only difference really is the press, They have help with everything else. I think I would take having my picture taken in exchange for the wealth and trappings that the Royals and other celebs have
Old 01-06-2022, 01:12 PM #285

Default Queen's Platinum Jubilee:2-5 June 2022 : Four-day bank holiday

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post

Well everyone loved Harry especially all of the under 40’s ( the important ones) until he hitched up with Megan and things quickly went south ..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Zizu; 01-06-2022 at 01:18 PM.
Zizu is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 01:21 PM #286
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Yeah none of the royal family are good role models they are just privileged people born into money and didn’t have to work that hard for it. Our tax should obviously be used for something better anyway the royal family can survive without it.

Spoiler:

LukeB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:14 PM #287

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeB View Post
Yeah none of the royal family are good role models they are just privileged people born into money and didn’t have to work that hard for it. Our tax should obviously be used for something better anyway the royal family can survive without it.

Can it?

Both Labour and Conservative
are not changing it.
arista is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 02:45 PM #288

Old 01-06-2022, 03:22 PM #289

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It IS like a lot of jobs Jet. They have a lot of staff to help and then they go home to riches beyond most peoples imaginations.

Most people have to be up, get the kids ready, do school runs, look presentable, drive themselves to work, go to meetings, represent the company they work for, make presentations, do their own research, write their reports, letters whatever, pick up the kids, do the shopping, cook the dinner, pay the bills, worry about paying the bills, do the kids activities, make sure that homework is done, packed lunches are ready etc etc etc

The only difference really is the press, They have help with everything else. I think I would take having my picture taken in exchange for the wealth and trappings that the Royals and other celebs have
I have to say again, it isn’t the same.

Most people don't have jobs that involve meetings, making presentations, researching, speeches, reports etc like you describe. Many jobs are less taxing than that, thankfully.

Most people aren’t born with their role and job description decided for them, like senior Royals. They don’t have a lifetime of service to their country with a very prominent position of responsibility ahead of them. They can say ‘this job isn’t for me, I’m going to do something else’.

True, Prince Harry opted out. William and Kate could do the same, go and live in California and sell themselves at a big price for very little in return. But they don’t, they accept their duties with grace and dignity. They have the riches to opt out and not lift another finger for the rest of their lives.
In fact, all the senior Royals could say “have your Republic, we are done’ and still live lives of great idle luxury with their great houses, and unimaginable wealth. But they don’t.

They serve, as the Queen did for 70 years, as her heirs will do.
Yet you are critical of them, and favour Harry and Meghan. I don’t get that.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:35 PM #290

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
Can it?

Both Labour and Conservative
are not changing it.
I wonder what would happen if the monarchy got abolished. I know it won't happen, but I still think when The Queen passes ..that Charles will NOT get anywhere near the support , that she has gotten for 70 years. And I think they'll be less royalists.

I don't think he'll be as accepted ,and he definitely won't be as liked as William when it comes to being king.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:40 PM #291

Quote:
I have to say again, it isn’t the same.

Most people don't have jobs that involve meetings, making presentations, researching, speeches, reports etc like you describe. Many jobs are less taxing than that, thankfully.

Most people aren’t born with their role and job description decided for them, like senior Royals. They don’t have a lifetime of service to their country with a very prominent position of responsibility ahead of them. They can say ‘this job isn’t for me, I’m going to do something else’.

True, Prince Harry opted out. William and Kate could do the same, go and live in California and sell themselves at a big price for very little in return. But they don’t, they accept their duties with grace and dignity. They have the riches to opt out and not lift another finger for the rest of their lives.
In fact, all the senior Royals could say “have your Republic, we are done’ and still live lives of great idle luxury with their great houses, and unimaginable wealth. But they don’t.

They serve, as the Queen did for 70 years, as her heirs will do.
Yet you are critical of them, and favour Harry and Meghan. I don’t get that.
I have not been critical of one person at all that is just a lie - I have spoken about ALL Royals and celebrities alike

I disagree that many people don't have roles like that - every working person will do a lot in their day - that was just a typical day in my life - and I am nothing special believe me.

Harry and Meghan are pretty inconsequential celebs now imo.

We are all born into a life of service really - everyone has to work to earn their living to pay their bills and actually just live. The Royal's may not HAVE to - that is their choice and doesn't mean they should be viewed as "role models" because they do

As I said - the role models are the people working quietly to help other without being lauded for it.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:42 PM #292

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
I wonder what would happen if the monarchy got abolished. I know it won't happen, but I still think when The Queen passes ..that Charles will NOT get anywhere near the support , that she has gotten for 70 years. And I think they'll be less royalists.

I don't think he'll be as accepted ,and he definitely won't be as liked as William when it comes to being king.

Sure
But he will go on.
Even if there is a backlash.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:45 PM #293
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeB View Post
Who is a good role model?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 03:50 PM #294
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post

I think Charles will be the first nail in the coffin, depending on ... well not to be blunt but ... how long he lives, I think more people will have lost interest by the time it comes to William. Also the thing that interests people about them now is that they're still a young family. No one's going to be all that fussed for William and Kate in their 50's with teenage/grown up kids.

The best thing for the future of the Monarchy would have been for Charles to abdicate in advance, and the succession to go straight from Liz to William. Ol' Chuck was never going to give up his shot on the throne though.
Old 01-06-2022, 03:52 PM #295
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Who is a good role model?
Me!
Old 01-06-2022, 04:03 PM #296

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I have not been critical of one person at all that is just a lie - I have spoken about ALL Royals and celebrities alike

I disagree that many people don't have roles like that - every working person will do a lot in their day - that was just a typical day in my life - and I am nothing special believe me.

Harry and Meghan are pretty inconsequential celebs now imo.

We are all born into a life of service really - everyone has to work to earn their living to pay their bills and actually just live. The Royal's may not HAVE to - that is their choice and doesn't mean they should be viewed as "role models" because they do

As I said - the role models are the people working quietly to help other without being lauded for it.

I agree....and also like the Queen, Prince Charles, Camilla, Prince William and Kate, Princess Anne and Prince Edward and Sophie do.
They work quietly day after day, year after year to help others without being lauded for that work. How often do we hear of what they are doing unless you go looking in the official Royal site? People would be surprised at their workload.
Harry and Meghan can't do anything without instructing their PR to let the world know, releasing zoom call videos and photos.

Last edited by jet; 01-06-2022 at 04:04 PM.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:06 PM #297
-

-

Quote:
like the Queen, Prince Charles, Camilla, Prince William and Kate, Princess Anne and Prince Edward and Sophie do.
They work quietly day after day, year after year to help others without being lauded for that work. How often do we hear of what they are doing unless you go looking in the official Royal site? People would be surprised at their workload.
Do it out the goodness of their own little 'earts they do... on the breadline 'emselves I've 'eard... claimin 'nat Universal Credits and not a word of complaint!

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 01-06-2022 at 04:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:22 PM #298

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Hallie
BB18: Deborah

Quote:
I think Charles will be the first nail in the coffin, depending on ... well not to be blunt but ... how long he lives, I think more people will have lost interest by the time it comes to William. Also the thing that interests people about them now is that they're still a young family. No one's going to be all that fussed for William and Kate in their 50's with teenage/grown up kids.

The best thing for the future of the Monarchy would have been for Charles to abdicate in advance, and the succession to go straight from Liz to William. Ol' Chuck was never going to give up his shot on the throne though.

Oh yes, of course..the uk will obviously wipe 1200 years of having a monarchy and instantly abolish it because some snotty faced kids dont like charles..
parmnion is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 04:30 PM #299
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by parmnion View Post
Oh yes, of course..the uk will obviously wipe 1200 years of having a monarchy and instantly abolish it because some snotty faced kids dont like charles..
There's a huge difference between an active monarchy (what we had for over a thousand years) and a ceremonial/token monarchy (what we have now). They won't instantly "abolish" it, they'll just lose interest. It's not even about not "liking" Charles, he just won't hold the public interest the way The Queen does or the way William and Kate have. He never has. People won't say "Booooo abolish it!!" they just won't pay much attention to it at all... becoming less and less relevant to British culture.

The truth is it's Queen Elizabeth II that's a huge part of "Modern Britishness" - not the monarchy as an institution.
Old 01-06-2022, 04:33 PM #300

Quote:
I agree....and also like the Queen, Prince Charles, Camilla, Prince William and Kate, Princess Anne and Prince Edward and Sophie do.
Harry and Meghan can't do anything without instructing their PR to let the world know, releasing zoom call videos and photos.
Oh come on Jet....they put their name on things. As soon as something is Royal approved or has a Royal Patron they have automatic status. They have staff who do the admin, staff who do the leg work, staff who do the research, staff who make the calls....they may do a Zoom call every now and then. Please don't expect me to believe they are beavering away in front of their laptops doing charity work. They have staff. They may be the "face" of the cause but other people do the work.

Why do you always have to mention Harry? He's not a working Royal so inconsequential as I keep saying.

The real heroes are the ones who help their communities from the ground, the teacher who helps disadvantaged kids, the shop worker who works in a food bank in their spare time, the people suffering from cancer who run the race for life to raise funds to help others, the people who go out to feed the homeless. They are the role models we should be promoting to our kids,not rich folk who have people to do the hard work

I have a lot of respect for the Queen, she is a strong woman but a strong woman born into money who has, and always has had, help in every aspect of her life from getting dressed to going about her duties.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
2022, bank, fourday, holiday, jubilee25, june, platinum, queen