Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 02-06-2022, 09:00 AM #1426

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
I’m not talking about the UK trial!

I’m talking about this trial. He was suing her, she was also counter-suing him for that by him and his lawyer (the one who was kicked out of the trial near the beginning) had been doing. He won his libel case AND she won the counter-case. Yesterday. In Virginia. Like I said, did you turn it off in excitement before the full verdict was read? For someone who has been following the trial so closely, you don’t seem to know much about it?

However if you do want my opinion on why the UK trial went better for her than the one in Virginia, it’s because the verdict of the UK trial was decided by judges (highly trained legal experts who knew what they were looking at) and not a jury of 7 hillbillies who had spent too much time on Twitter throughout the trial despite being explicitly told not to do that.

Here we go with the condescending tone again . I genuinely thought you were talking about the UK trial, and no I didn't turn on or turn off anything. I watched the result/ verdict quite late ,and I found out afterwards about the money they both owe eachother now.

No I wasn't getting excited, I'm not the one banging on about memes & social media all the time.

As I've said already I think it was the right decision & verdict, as there was no proof JD was ever physically violent . whole thing was still ugly.

It was a serious matter . I guess my reaction was more relieved it's over & glad that JD can get on with his life.

Why are you calling the jury members 'hillbillies' , is it because you hate the result. How are you getting information about them going 'against rules'. How do you know they were influenced?, they took a while to decide ,I don't think they rushed it.

I've not heard anything about Winona wanting to testify against JD. And it's silly to accuse JD of paying people off, without evidence . Witnesses came forward to tell their side of things. You don't like what you heard that's all it is .
Old 02-06-2022, 09:04 AM #1427
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Just to add guys… an awful lot of reports of

1) Depp having talked to or paid off people (women) not to come forward with evidence against him. And a report that Winona Ryder was going to give evidence (AGAINST Depp) in the UK trial but withdrew. Hmmm.

2) It’s been confirmed that multiple jurors were viewing and using social media throughout the trial despite being instructed by the court not to do so, which is highly likely to have influenced their judgement, especially given the confirmed fact that Depp’s first lawyer was leaking false information.

… there’s highly likely to be an appeal. I’m sure we’ll all enjoy that! It’ll have to wait until after his upcoming trial for assault though I guess. You know. That upcoming case that none of you want to acknowledge is happening . Ffs.
And actually 2 of his exes said he had anger issues and was controlling and possessive. Ellen Barkin and Jennifer Grey

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:04 AM #1428

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It’s $8.35 million because Virginia caps punitive damages at $350,000 which I’m sure you know as you’ve been following so closely, so I’ll assume your finger just slipped on your calculator when you worked it out as $13 million.
More condescending rude tones ... Awesome.

I'm obviously too 'STUPID ' ,I can't be as clever as some people oh well .
Old 02-06-2022, 09:06 AM #1429

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
And actually 2 of his exes said he had anger issues and was controlling and possessive. Ellen Barkin and Jennifer Grey
Neither of them said he was violent or physical.

Ellen Barkin never felt in danger,she continued to visit him & vice Versa. Jennifer Grey still wishes him well.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:08 AM #1430

Quote:
It’s $8.35 million because Virginia caps punitive damages at $350,000 which I’m sure you know as you’ve been following so closely, so I’ll assume your finger just slipped on your calculator when you worked it out as $13 million.

Didn’t they mention two amounts she’s liable for ?

$10 million and a separate $5 million ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zizu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:11 AM #1431

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post

That's what I heard aswell,but I'm clearly too THICK to hear & read properly .. oh well.

Last edited by GoldHeart; 02-06-2022 at 09:11 AM.
GoldHeart is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:11 AM #1432

Quote:
You vastly overestimated my energy for trying to convince people on this thread who I know have already made up their minds. GoldHeart has been banging on about watching this closely every day and didn’t even know there WAS a counter-suit. Waste of everyone’s time. You can look it up if you’re particularly curious or you can wait and see what happens.

Well if you are gonna state such series accusations/ claims then YOU should be supplying some links or evidence... otherwise they’re just unsubstantiated wafflings

Old 02-06-2022, 09:12 AM #1433
-

-

I don’t believe that complex legal issues should be decided on by laypeople with no legal training. I don’t believe that domestic violence cases should be decided on by people with no knowledge of domestic violence, or what is normal behaviour for victims of domestic violence. I said “hillbillies” as a colourful way of saying “people who don’t know what they’re looking at and think victims must look a certain way” - something we’ve seen plenty of in this thread too.

It’s certainly not about not liking what I’ve seen/heard, although of course I don’t “like” it, as I’ve said on multiple occasions the kitchen video is all I need to stare with 100% certainty that there was behaviour from Depp that is a form of domestic abuse. That’s all I needed to see or hear because - unlike some - I don’t think any mountain of evidence showing supposed “provocation” excuses that violence or somehow makes it not-abusive. I can’t say which of Heards other claims are definitely true although I personally believe her in most of them. On the kitchen video (and text messages to Bettany) that are confirmed alone - I’m happy enough to call him abusive, a misogynist and a generally extremely unpleasant individual.

I know people disagree with me but .
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:12 AM #1434
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
Neither of them said he was violent or physical.

Ellen Barkin never felt in danger,she continued to visit him & vice Versa. Jennifer Grey still wishes him well.
Comments on Johnny Depp's character
Barkin and Depp are said to have been involved in a brief relationship in 1997 whilst filming Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Speaking about her experience with Depp, she said: "There is always an air of violence around him."

The comments are listed in the case notes for the 2020 Depp v News Group Newspapers Ltd trial, which Depp ultimately lost. "There was just this world of violence…He is a yeller. He is verbally abusive," Barkin said.

In the testimony, Barkin once again accused Depp of "a lot of yelling" before discussing the wine bottle incident. "Yes, Mr. Depp threw a wine bottle across the room, the hotel room, in one instance, in Las Vegas, while we were shooting Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas," she reportedly said.

She went on to confirm that the bottle didn't hit her or anyone else.

Barkin was also asked if Depp had ever hit her, "No, he did not," she said. Barkin also confirmed that he never kicked her or physically assaulted her in any way either.

https://www.newsweek.com/lverything-...-trial-1705929

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Old 02-06-2022, 09:14 AM #1435
-

-

Quote:

$10 million compensatory + $5 million punitive (punitive damages capped at $350000) minus the $2 million awarded for Depp’s legal team defaming her = $8.35 million.

Happy to do the maths for you guys, unfortunately I can’t do the rest of your thinking for you.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:15 AM #1436
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I don’t believe that complex legal issues should be decided on by laypeople with no legal training. I don’t believe that domestic violence cases should be decided on by people with no knowledge of domestic violence, or what is normal behaviour for victims of domestic violence. I said “hillbillies” as a colourful way of saying “people who don’t know what they’re looking at and think victims must look a certain way” - something we’ve seen plenty of in this thread too.

It’s certainly not about not liking what I’ve seen/heard, although of course I don’t “like” it, as I’ve said on multiple occasions the kitchen video is all I need to stare with 100% certainty that there was behaviour from Depp that is a form of domestic abuse. That’s all I needed to see or hear because - unlike some - I don’t think any mountain of evidence showing supposed “provocation” excuses that violence or somehow makes it not-abusive. I can’t say which of Heards other claims are definitely true although I personally believe her in most of them. On the kitchen video (and text messages to Bettany) that are confirmed alone - I’m happy enough to call him abusive, a misogynist and a generally extremely unpleasant individual.

I know people disagree with me but .
I also only heard this morning that it was Johnny Depps team that fought to have the trial televised, that says a lot about what his plan was to me, he knew very well that he's got a lot more fans than Amber, it really was the performance of his lifetime. He also knows Amber doesn't come across as very charismatic or likable

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 02-06-2022, 09:18 AM #1437
-

-

Quote:
Well if you are gonna state such series accusations/ claims then YOU should be supplying some links or evidence... otherwise they’re just unsubstantiated wafflings

Normally, sure, I agree if I was trying to convince people of something but at this point with this thread I know peoples opinions are set in concrete on Depp and that it would be a complete and utter waste of time.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:20 AM #1438
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
I also only heard this morning that it was Johnny Depps team that fought to have the trial televised, that says a lot about what his plan was to me, he knew very well that he's got a lot more fans than Amber, it really was the performance of his lifetime. He also knows Amber doesn't come across as very charismatic or likable
Its what every defence does

work hard for their client to win
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:22 AM #1439
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post

True enough. I think the whole thing was so distasteful though to be shown on TV like some ****ed up reality show, this shouldn't be entertainment imo

Spoiler:

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
Old 02-06-2022, 09:23 AM #1440
-

-

Quote:

It was never about the money, the verdict is depressing but really all it shows is that 7 more people were duped in the same way as the millions across social media. I said to my wife when we were waiting for the verdict to prep herself for it going Depp’s way. She asked why. I said, “because the jury is just more of the same laypeople as the ones watching on YouTube, and logically they’re going to be swung in exactly the same way”.

Utterly ludicrous for a libel case to be decided by jury verdict. You might as well have asked a bunch of 5 year olds whose courtroom doodles they preferred.

He got what he wanted/she had lost within a week of the trial starting. Public shaming and humiliation. He SAID he wanted that in his own words in those text messages.

But he’s not abusive of course. It’s not like he said “I want to globally shame my ex wife” and then globally shamed his ex wife.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:24 AM #1441
Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Life imitates art

Favourites (more):
RPDR UK 2: Bimini Bon Boulash
Strictly 2020: Maisie Smith

Quote:
True enough. I think the whole thing was so distasteful though to be shown on TV like some ****ed up reality show, this shouldn't be entertainment imo
Yeah it’s taken away the issue and now people are laughing and making memes of it. I’ve seen some tiktoks of people recreating Amber’s sexual assault claims which is pretty gross even if Amber was lying. I don’t think victims would want to see memes and that.

Spoiler:

LukeB is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-06-2022, 09:25 AM #1442
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post

The televising of the case had no bearing on the legal outcome UNLESS you believe what I said above - that the jury was influenced by social media.

It was a side-show designed to be her real punishment. Again, he said so himself, before the trial even started.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:27 AM #1443
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
CBB18: Christopher Biggins

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

I'm glad it was televised, so everyone could watch the trial and make their own conclusions.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:28 AM #1444

Quote:

Did his fans get to vote on the decision ?

Old 02-06-2022, 09:28 AM #1445
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeB View Post
Yeah it’s taken away the issue and now people are laughing and making memes of it. I’ve seen some tiktoks of people recreating Amber’s sexual assault claims which is pretty gross even if Amber was lying. I don’t think victims would want to see memes and that.

The social media is utterly toxic no matter what anyone believes about the case. The subject matter is too grim and serious for there to be teenagers making meme TikTok’s about it.

9/10 of them won’t even be that fussed about Depp in a month when the whatever the next social media craze is gets into full swing, it’s turned domestic violence allegations into light reality entertainment, which is just gross from any perspective.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:30 AM #1446

Default Anyone following the Amber and Johnny trial?

Last edited by Zizu; 02-06-2022 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:30 AM #1447
-

-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanessa View Post
I'm glad it was televised, so everyone could watch the trial and make their own conclusions.

Why should the world get to watch and make their own conclusions on something as deeply personal and private as abuse within a relationship?
Old 02-06-2022, 09:31 AM #1448
-

-

Quote:
The exact same could be applied to your good self and the other person defending AH though

The exact same as what?
Old 02-06-2022, 09:32 AM #1449

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB21: Shane Jenek

All I’m getting from the people unhappy with the result is that women should be allowed to do whatever they want and get away with things they do, for no other reason than they’re women and it might look bad on the entire female population, that’s not how the world works folks, you get proven to have done something wrong, ‘clear and convincingly’ as this verdict form stated, you face the consequences.

And if the jury was really biased in any way, would Heard have won the one claim that she did? No, it means they looked at the evidence as a whole, objectively and came to their conclusions based on that, if they were ‘hillbillies’ and ‘hicks’ just out to get a poor innocent women, they wouldn’t have sided with her on something.
Old 02-06-2022, 09:34 AM #1450
The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

The Italian Job

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam- View Post
All I’m getting from the people unhappy with the result is that women should be allowed to do whatever they want and get away with things they do, for no other reason than they’re women and it might look bad on the entire female population, that’s not how the world works folks, you get proven to have done something wrong, ‘clear and convincingly’ as this verdict form stated, you face the consequences.

And if the jury was really biased in any way, would Heard have won the one claim that she did? No, it means they looked at the evidence as a whole, objectively and came to their conclusions based on that, if they were ‘hillbillies’ and ‘hicks’ just out to get a poor innocent women, they wouldn’t have sided with her on something.
Exactly. Women can be abusers as well.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
amber, johnny, trial