Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 24-03-2022, 08:25 PM #101
The Slim Reaper's Avatar
The Slim Reaper The Slim Reaper is offline
Oh no, I'm English
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: In MS Paint on your desktop
Posts: 12,427
The Slim Reaper The Slim Reaper is offline
Oh no, I'm English
The Slim Reaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: In MS Paint on your desktop
Posts: 12,427
Default

__________________
The Slim Reaper is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-03-2022, 11:41 PM #102
Kizzy's Avatar
Kizzy Kizzy is offline
Likes cars that go boom
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41,751


Kizzy Kizzy is offline
Likes cars that go boom
Kizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41,751


Default

How's this conservative led post brexit Britain looking?...
Where's farage? ...where's Tommy robinson? Where's Katie hopkins. ..
__________________

Last edited by Kizzy; 24-03-2022 at 11:47 PM.
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 12:28 AM #103
arista's Avatar
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
How's this conservative led post brexit Britain looking?...
Where's Farage? ...where's Tommy robinson? Where's Katie hopkins. ..
He is Live Monday to Thursday 7PM
Free DAB Radio and All TV Platforms
GBnewsHD

Last edited by arista; 25-03-2022 at 12:31 AM.
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 12:29 AM #104
arista's Avatar
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
Default

arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-03-2022, 12:32 AM #105
arista's Avatar
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
Default

arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 26-03-2022, 11:47 PM #106
arista's Avatar
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
Default

arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 12:32 AM #107
arista's Avatar
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
Default

arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 11:01 PM #108
arista's Avatar
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
Default

arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 27-03-2022, 11:15 PM #109
Kizzy's Avatar
Kizzy Kizzy is offline
Likes cars that go boom
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41,751


Kizzy Kizzy is offline
Likes cars that go boom
Kizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41,751


Default

Who is that helping?... nobody that I can see except the energy providers.

All its doing is giving a little funding back to local councils that was removed by central govt a few years ago.
And the extra we had to pay which they cleverly suggested was for adult social care is removed again.
Energy is privatised and so is social care... why are we subsidising them.
__________________
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 06:12 AM #110
bitontheslide's Avatar
bitontheslide bitontheslide is offline
self-oscillating
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 40,933

Favourites:
BB19: Sian


bitontheslide bitontheslide is offline
self-oscillating
bitontheslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 40,933

Favourites:
BB19: Sian


Default

its an unfair system. It's saying people in bigger houses can afford the rise more than anyone else, which is blatantly untrue
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 07:22 AM #111
Toy Soldier Toy Soldier is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 30,350


Toy Soldier Toy Soldier is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 30,350


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
its an unfair system. It's saying people in bigger houses can afford the rise more than anyone else, which is blatantly untrue
To be fair... It isn't untrue for the most part, IN GENERAL people in higher council tax bands are going to have higher household income and can probably afford the CURRENT increases. There will obviously be exceptions so yes I think there should be an appeals/discretionary process for those whose CT band doesn't match their income reality.

However.

IMO they should rethink Council Tax altogether.


Also it still doesn't help the lowest income families because they will be on 100% Council tax benefit already. So a council tax cut saves them... Zero...
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 06:48 PM #112
michael21 michael21 is offline
User banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my big house
Posts: 13,901


michael21 michael21 is offline
User banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my big house
Posts: 13,901


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
That paper always says the weather going to be bad can nit trust it
michael21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 07:12 PM #113
Kizzy's Avatar
Kizzy Kizzy is offline
Likes cars that go boom
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41,751


Kizzy Kizzy is offline
Likes cars that go boom
Kizzy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41,751


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
To be fair... It isn't untrue for the most part, IN GENERAL people in higher council tax bands are going to have higher household income and can probably afford the CURRENT increases. There will obviously be exceptions so yes I think there should be an appeals/discretionary process for those whose CT band doesn't match their income reality.

However.

IMO they should rethink Council Tax altogether.


Also it still doesn't help the lowest income families because they will be on 100% Council tax benefit already. So a council tax cut saves them... Zero...
I think there are many more people in higher council tax band on lower or fixed incomes due to the huge jump in housing cost over the last 20yrs.
In my area houses that were 70k in 99 are 250k today.

Also in cute villages the cost of homes has rocketed due to city dwellers buying up 2nd homes.

I didn't think there was such a thing as 100% council tax exemptions. .. don't they pay £125?
__________________
Kizzy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 08:01 PM #114
Toy Soldier Toy Soldier is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 30,350


Toy Soldier Toy Soldier is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 30,350


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kizzy View Post
I think there are many more people in higher council tax band on lower or fixed incomes due to the huge jump in housing cost over the last 20yrs.

In my area houses that were 70k in 99 are 250k today.



Also in cute villages the cost of homes has rocketed due to city dwellers buying up 2nd homes.



I didn't think there was such a thing as 100% council tax exemptions. .. don't they pay £125?
Council tax band isn't based on current house prices, it's (bizarrely) based on the value the property would have had if sold in 1991. That includes houses built after 1991... They assess new builds and make an estimate of what they would have been sold at 30 years ago. It's like they bodged the system together out of cardboard and tape... But for better or worse... That's genuinely how it works.

As for 100% exemptions I think that depends on what services are included... I know that when I was on the bennies in England we paid zero council tax (but had a separate water bill) whereas when we moved to Scotland we paid a small fixed amount of council tax because water services in Scotland are built into council tax, and you didn't get that part paid through housing benefit.

I don't really know the system these days as benefits were still all separate things back then, and it's all Universal Credit now.

I think there will definitely be people on low incomes who don't benefit from the council tax rebates (or any of the NI/income tax changes) but will still be hit with doubling energy bills.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 08:45 PM #115
bitontheslide's Avatar
bitontheslide bitontheslide is offline
self-oscillating
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 40,933

Favourites:
BB19: Sian


bitontheslide bitontheslide is offline
self-oscillating
bitontheslide's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 40,933

Favourites:
BB19: Sian


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy Soldier View Post
Council tax band isn't based on current house prices, it's (bizarrely) based on the value the property would have had if sold in 1991. That includes houses built after 1991... They assess new builds and make an estimate of what they would have been sold at 30 years ago. It's like they bodged the system together out of cardboard and tape... But for better or worse... That's genuinely how it works.

As for 100% exemptions I think that depends on what services are included... I know that when I was on the bennies in England we paid zero council tax (but had a separate water bill) whereas when we moved to Scotland we paid a small fixed amount of council tax because water services in Scotland are built into council tax, and you didn't get that part paid through housing benefit.

I don't really know the system these days as benefits were still all separate things back then, and it's all Universal Credit now.

I think there will definitely be people on low incomes who don't benefit from the council tax rebates (or any of the NI/income tax changes) but will still be hit with doubling energy bills.
I think i see where the problem is TS. Thats not how it is in england. I'm in a band e house, that is nice, but nothing outstanding. All property was regraded in england in the semi recent past, 1991 prices have long gone here as a marker
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 11:18 PM #116
arista's Avatar
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
Default

arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 28-03-2022, 11:21 PM #117
arista's Avatar
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
Default

arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 01:38 AM #118
michael21 michael21 is offline
User banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my big house
Posts: 13,901


michael21 michael21 is offline
User banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: In my big house
Posts: 13,901


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post

Yes because of the war
michael21 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 09:20 AM #119
Toy Soldier Toy Soldier is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 30,350


Toy Soldier Toy Soldier is offline
-
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 30,350


Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
I think i see where the problem is TS. Thats not how it is in england. I'm in a band e house, that is nice, but nothing outstanding. All property was regraded in england in the semi recent past, 1991 prices have long gone here as a marker
I 100% guarantee the way Council Tax bandings work is still based on 1991 valuations. The rebanding was to check that the houses still match the valuation in terms of improvements to the house or area i.e. things that would have increased the value of the property whenever they happened. Extensions, conversions, etc.

The bandings are still relative to the average. Overall house price increases across the board do not increase council tax board. There can be some more dramatic changes in cities (gentrification; areas that used to be considered "rough" now being more desireable because of city proximity) or transport links (a new motorway link can turn an isolated village into a city-worker suburb over night) but it's not because of house price inflation.

If there have been no other changes, a band A house that was worth £35k 20+ years ago and is now worth over £100k will still be Band A.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/understa...4d4f1bc1e380c6

One thing I have noticed though which is somewhat interesting, is that bands B and C seem to be exremely rare? Lots of Band A properties (flats, ex-council houses), and then it for the mostpart seems to jump straight to Band D/E .

Last edited by Toy Soldier; 29-03-2022 at 09:21 AM.
Toy Soldier is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 12:10 AM #120
arista's Avatar
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
Default

[The Chancellor's pledge that councils in England
would make a £150 payment
towards domestic energy bills "in April" has been
broken in some areas.
While some have paid, Radio 4's Money Box
has found many have not and the guidance
has changed to "from April".


The deadline for payment, which applies to
homes in council tax bands A-D, is September.

The government said councils were expected
to begin making payments as soon as
possible from April.
The deadline for payment,
which applies to homes in
council tax bands A-D, is September.]








[In Scotland councils have been told they
can give the £150 as a direct discount
off their council tax - and many have done that.

There is no council tax in Northern Ireland but the
executive there has been given money
to make the payments but that is held up
by the political uncertainty.]


https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-61270840


This is terrible for some people
that thought from April they will get £150
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 12:27 AM #121
arista's Avatar
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
Default

BBC Text:
[State pensions and benefits are set to
rise in line with double-digit inflation,
the Telegraph reports,
despite the government telling rail workers
to accept cuts.
The paper says the Treasury confirmed on Tuesday
that the pension triple-lock would be
reinstated after it was paused
during the pandemic - taking the annual pay-out to
beyond £10,000.]
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-06-2022, 10:26 PM #122
arista's Avatar
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
Default

arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-06-2022, 02:01 PM #123
arista's Avatar
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
Default

MPs will break for summer on July 22 and won't
return to Westminster until September 6.



Will Rishi give us a mini budget,
before Friday July 22nd?
arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-06-2022, 04:01 PM #124
Zizu's Avatar
Zizu Zizu is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19,373
Zizu Zizu is offline
Senior Member
Zizu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 19,373
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by arista View Post
MPs will break for summer on July 22 and won't
return to Westminster until September 6.



Will Rishi give us a mini budget,
before Friday July 22nd?

Itís odd how the country just keeps on going year after year without them

They literally make no difference




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zizu is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 12:40 AM #125
arista's Avatar
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
arista arista is online now
Senior Member
arista's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 157,803
Default

arista is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
2022, chancellor, rishi, statement, statements, sunak, weds

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:10 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
 

About Us ThisisBigBrother.com

"Big Brother and UK Television Forum. Est. 2001"

 

© 2023
no new posts