Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

View Poll Results: How are your online loyalties set?
If anything, I’m more courteous and patient online than in person 0 0%
If anything, I’m more courteous and patient online than in person
0 0%
I’m loyal but I have my limits and boundaries 7 87.50%
I’m loyal but I have my limits and boundaries
7 87.50%
It’s whatever - you unfollow me on Insta., I’ll unfollow right back, but I’m certainly no troll 1 12.50%
It’s whatever - you unfollow me on Insta., I’ll unfollow right back, but I’m certainly no troll
1 12.50%
I’m loyal to the people I actually know in “real life” as well - don’t care about others 0 0%
I’m loyal to the people I actually know in “real life” as well - don’t care about others
0 0%
Nah, I do bait, still 0 0%
Nah, I do bait, still
0 0%
Don’t even try and seriously attach yourself to me. I’m no good for anyone online 0 0%
Don’t even try and seriously attach yourself to me. I’m no good for anyone online
0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 27-08-2022, 11:29 PM #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gusto Brunt View Post
I'm loyal online but often if my loyalties and contributions aren't reciprocated or appreciated, I tend to ditch people who I think take my presence for granted.��
Yeah. I hear that. Face-to-face interactions of all kinds (from the irrelevantly-mundane to the deeply-personal 2.a.m. conversations with your bestie/s) come and go and they’re a daily bread-staple (however you feel about them) but when you’ve got some free say over how you initiate communication (as you do online) I’m the sort of person who takes that as an opportunity to at least try and build meaningful connections (down to the word) and make people feel a bit more understood or enriched for connecting with me. If you move with a madness to me for no reason or spew prejudices (that someone of any active moral stance is obviously going to check) on the Internet I’m not going to be that nice in return but the way my [online] loyalties do manifest is in the sense of treating people online with (at least) the same appropriate level of confidential respect as I would if we were friends in person if we’re not already and not wasting both of our time(s) by gaslighting them and their capabilities or passing unnecessary judgements. I won’t form a negative opinion on someone online if I don’t feel a reason to and in a world where it feels like so much time gets wasted just going through the wet humdrum of life and interacting with people you wouldn’t actually interact with if you had it your way (cranky Harley-and-Karen-bosses inc.) I’m not going to now waste time bringing negative energy and unwarranted judgements to the table over WhatsApp, F.b. or Insta. and draining someone else’s energy/making them feel inadequate for reasons which really wouldn’t be anything to do with anyone other than me (in connection with my particular purview of experience). I know the web’s an inexpensive space but interpersonally there’s no time to waste (unless you actually have a reason to dislike the person).

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.

Last edited by Redway; 15-11-2022 at 08:07 PM.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 11:38 AM #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niamh. View Post
I'm guessing those kind of ones that are clearly about a particular person without actually naming them so kind of like :

"Sick of doing favours for ungrateful people who are always too busy when you need help"
I understand where aimed statuses come from if it gets the message across to people you wouldn’t actually speak to/want to hang out with in physical time and no-one other than the people who need to see it have access to it. Some people do need to be called out in some capacity.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.

Last edited by Redway; 15-11-2022 at 11:39 AM.
Old 15-11-2022, 11:49 AM #28
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):
BB19: Cian
IAC2018: Rita Simons

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
I understand where aimed statuses come from if it gets the message across to people you wouldn’t actually speak to/want to hang out with in physical time and no-one other than the people who need to see it have access to it. Some people do need to be called out in some capacity.
meh either say it or don't say, this half arsed guess working of who you're talking about is annoying and honestly that kind of airing your dirty laundry on Facebook stuff is cringey as **** imo

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 12:06 PM #29

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTVN View Post
I barely understand anything in this thread
I'm glad I'm not the only one, at first I thought this was about something else.
Old 15-11-2022, 12:14 PM #30

Quote:
meh either say it or don't say, this half arsed guess working of who you're talking about is annoying and honestly that kind of airing your dirty laundry on Facebook stuff is cringey as **** imo
True but some people use platforms like Instagram (or maybe even Facebook) to call people out to a selected audience of people who it might be relevant to rather than just broadcasting everything openly. That I can understand (and I’m not going to pretend I haven’t done that myself) but I agree that the public statuses along the lines of ‘omg I work in the worst warehouse in the world, can’t believe the morning I’ve had with dis cheeky manager’ are cringeworthy.

And even when all’s said and done and you do call people out discreetly-enough there’s no guarantee that they’re actually going to acknowledge what they’ve done and not gaslight you over it so sometimes it’s just more trouble than it’s worth. Some things are better left unsaid and unwritten.

Last edited by Redway; 15-11-2022 at 12:17 PM.
Old 15-11-2022, 12:23 PM #31
I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

I Love my brick

Favourites (more):

When it's about real life people or family members I mean

Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
You compare Jim Davidson to Nelson Mandela?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus. View Post
I know, how stupid? He's more like Gandhi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaiah 7:14 View Post

Katie Hopkins reveals epilepsy made her suicidal - and says she identifies as a MAN
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livia View Post
Just because she is a giant cock, doesn't make her a man.
Niamh. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 12:31 PM #32
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

i think the fewer opportunities people have to fight/argue on social media the better. I would much prefer it to concentrate on being an information service rather than a vehicle for confrontation
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-11-2022, 12:32 PM #33

Quote:
When it's about real life people or family members I mean
It’s often about toxic ‘friends’/acquaintances who end-up being big-time gossipers/back-stabbed and the like. When it’s like that you’re often trying to avoid any more face-to-face contact with them (which is usually incredibly awkward in the first place once or if you get a bad feeling about someone) but I guess there are still means to get the message to them indirectly without necessarily plastering it in the broad open for everyone to see. There’s always the option of just messaging the person to say your ‘peace’ but sometimes people want a certain number of witnesses to see what they’re like or see what the full story really is.

Anything to do with family has no business being plastered on social media like that. I’ve never understood people who make family-business the public’s business.

Last edited by Redway; 15-11-2022 at 10:53 PM.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
loyalties, socialmedia