Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

View Poll Results: Are Family Guy’s political/social-issue jokes inappropriate or just bants?
This is the show that jokes about things like rape. Of course it takes it too far 0 0%
This is the show that jokes about things like rape. Of course it takes it too far
0 0%
In any other context I’d be disgusted but here I just take it with a pinch of salt 0 0%
In any other context I’d be disgusted but here I just take it with a pinch of salt
0 0%
Some jokes/gags are in very poor taste indeed but not the vast majority 4 44.44%
Some jokes/gags are in very poor taste indeed but not the vast majority
4 44.44%
All of it’s just part-and-parcel of the show to me. I’m not bothered 4 44.44%
All of it’s just part-and-parcel of the show to me. I’m not bothered
4 44.44%
Other/mixed/undecided 1 11.11%
Other/mixed/undecided
1 11.11%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-01-2023, 01:48 PM #51
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
Animation gets away with more because it's animation, not real life. We don't quite process live action, to animation in the same way. Hence the offence is lesser with animation.

However, whatever you do, please don't judge South Park if your haven't followed it for the last 20 years. It makes excellent points. Universities in the US used to, and might still do, classes and lectures on the Politics of South Park. I can't judge really on Family Guy, but South Park goes much deeper than merely 4 kids in Colorado being offensive.
Totally agree with the emboldened bit.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 02:00 PM #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherTrumpet View Post
Unless you can quantify what "too far means" it would be rather difficult to say

too far for whom?
Too far for your subjective taste, whatever that is (only you would know what that fully means for you).

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.
Redway is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 02:04 PM #53
You know my methods

You know my methods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redway View Post
Too far for your subjective taste, whatever that is (only you would know what that fully means for you).
I dont watch it but my son loves it and shows me lots of clips

LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 02:07 PM #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldHeart View Post
People class Peter as a man child,I've noticed there's more hate towards Lois ...as she's supposed to be the 'responsible' one ...yet she behaves like a selfish idiot aswell.
I don’t mind Peter being the henpecked man-child (that’s a common thing to varying extents both on television and in reality) but I’m not really here for him indirectly being seen as the protagonist and (in anything other than his delusional dreams) man of the house just because he da man of the house. I watch Family Guy through the lens of Stewie and Brian (not just because they’re two of the only smarter, sensible people on that show minus Brian’s intermittent alcoholism) and I’m sure a lot of other people do as well so the whole ‘king Peter’ rhetoric could do with being dialled down.

Having Louis married to Peter is an L but in terms of selfishness they’re almost as bad as each other, just in different ways. I would judge Louis harsher (and she does give off narcissistic vibes sometimes) for it than Peter on account of her being much smarter but there’s enough about her that makes her reasonably non-annoying so she doesn’t bother me too much. I just enjoy her for what she is and ignore the fact that she’s married to who she’s married to.

Don’t let your regret be stronger than your gratitude. And don’t hang on to negativity. That’s all.
Old 30-01-2023, 02:09 PM #55

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Trish
The Circle 2019: Georgina

Favourites (more):

Quote:
But this is the problem ...as it's 'subjective' as you say . What I find offensive you might not & so on . I have found some of the jokes funny in family guy ,but others are just awful.

This is why sometimes you get people saying either everything is ok or everything is off limits,but then both those situations are problematic.

I understand context & satire ,but Family Guy throws alot of crap at the wall as well ... seeing what sticks and what doesn't. I don't even think the writers are bothered anymore if the audience finds it funny. It's just about pushing boundaries.
Old 30-01-2023, 02:12 PM #56

Quote:
But this is the problem ...as it's 'subjective' as you say . What I find offensive you might not & so on . I have found some of the jokes funny in family guy ,but others are just awful.

This is why sometimes you get people saying either everything is ok or everything is off limits,but then both those situations are problematic.

I understand context & satire ,but Family Guy throws alot of crap at the wall as well ... seeing what sticks and what doesn't. I don't even think the writers are bothered anymore if the audience finds it funny. It's just about pushing boundaries.
Well, this is it, GoldHeart. That’s why we’re having a discussion about it.

Old 30-01-2023, 02:13 PM #57

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Well, this is it, GoldHeart. That’s why we’re having a discussion about it.
Also it's about the jokes actually being funny , another example is The Simpsons...imo the earlier seasons were better written and funnier.
Old 30-01-2023, 02:17 PM #58

Quote:
Also it's about the jokes actually being funny , another example is The Simpsons...imo the earlier seasons were better written and funnier.
I think everyone can agree about The Simpsons. The O.G. seasons were probably objectively the best (or at least among them) but seasons 9-16 are my favourites, with 17-19 being average. Season 20 onwards is very different from the original show but I still take it for what it is and vaguely enjoy watching them. It’s still a good show to me.

Old 30-01-2023, 05:58 PM #59
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

For me there is no joke that goes too far.

Of course I have jokes from the Show that I don't find funny, but I don't get offended at the jokes because they're just jokes, there's no actual malice behind it.

In my view if anyone is getting offended at jokes from Family Guy then the problem is with you rather than the Show, just like how the issue was with the Muslim community who by and large were getting offended at South Park depicting Mohammed, and even getting the episodes banned in the UK, I remember Patrick on here going mad at the time about it as he was a huge South Park fan, and he was 100% bang on.

Apologies for the long post, but I will always defend Comedy that has no real malice behind it.

Out with extreme Politics on both sides of the divide.
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 06:03 PM #60

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It’s just a bit distasteful when the likes of Peter joke about being raped and “violated” when it’s a very serious and unfortunate thing to happen to someone. I don’t find jokes about sexual abuse funny but that’s just me.
I thought that episode was really funny.

Especially with how they cover Lois's hypocrisy at laughing at the idea of Peter being raped because his a man, in Family Guy's own weird kinda way they were covering a couple of big issues in that episode, but they just made it absurd in presentation like Family Guy always does, especially back then.

Old 30-01-2023, 06:06 PM #61
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
For me there is no joke that goes too far.

Of course I have jokes from the Show that I don't find funny, but I don't get offended at the jokes because they're just jokes, there's no actual malice behind it.

In my view if anyone is getting offended at jokes from Family Guy then the problem is with you rather than the Show, just like how the issue was with the Muslim community who by and large were getting offended at South Park depicting Mohammed, and even getting the episodes banned in the UK, I remember Patrick on here going mad at the time about it as he was a huge South Park fan, and he was 100% bang on.

Apologies for the long post, but I will always defend Comedy that has no real malice behind it.
The Mohammed episode of South Park was basically them testing Comedy Central to see if they'd actually do it - they didn't show it uncensored anywhere. They aired the episode but the depiction of Mohammed was covered by a big "censored" box as the issue with Mohammed is about it being seen as sacrilege to show an image depicting him. Basically they can take the piss about Islam, they can TALK about Mohammed, they can pretty much push it as far as it goes... Right up to the point of actually showing the image. That's where the network caved.

Understandably as I believe it was all done as a political statement in the aftermath of the Charlie Hebdo incident. Which does take some cajones .
Soldier Boy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-01-2023, 06:12 PM #62

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I was watching an episode last night involving Quagmire (surprise, surprise) and a high-school girl who lied about her age (to cut a long story short the only thing that stopped Quagmire from serving a 20-year sentence was his mum sleeping with the judge). That was awkward.
I'd say that you're taking the episode too seriously.

The Show is clearly not pro Paedophilia, it would be banned if it was.

The Show just loves to be absurd, we don't exactly want it to turn into today's TV where entertainment is dead do we?

Old 30-01-2023, 06:20 PM #63

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Boy View Post
The Mohammed episode of South Park was basically them testing Comedy Central to see if they'd actually do it - they didn't show it uncensored anywhere. They aired the episode but the depiction of Mohammed was covered by a big "censored" box as the issue with Mohammed is about it being seen as sacrilege to show an image depicting him. Basically they can take the piss about Islam, they can TALK about Mohammed, they can pretty much push it as far as it goes... Right up to the point of actually showing the image. That's where the network caved.

Understandably as I believe it was all done as a political statement in the aftermath of the Charlie Hebdo incident. Which does take some cajones .
That Charlie Hebdo incident was really disturbed when you look at the reason for why it happened.

Old 30-01-2023, 06:39 PM #64

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
I thought that episode was really funny.

Especially with how they cover Lois's hypocrisy at laughing at the idea of Peter being raped because his a man, in Family Guy's own weird kinda way they were covering a couple of big issues in that episode, but they just made it absurd in presentation like Family Guy always does, especially back then.
It honestly just highlighted what bitch Lois is lol , like I said earlier on.... people give her more hate as she's supposed to be the 'responsible' parent. Peter seems to get a pass ,as nobody takes his man child behaviour seriously.
Old 31-01-2023, 12:32 AM #65

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
It honestly just highlighted what bitch Lois is lol , like I said earlier on.... people give her more hate as she's supposed to be the 'responsible' parent. Peter seems to get a pass ,as nobody takes his man child behaviour seriously.
Speaking for myself I like both characters personally.

I think I'd probably be more offended by them if the Show was telling me that Peter & Lois were noble people, the same with Quagmire or Stewie, but tbf to the writers they do acknowledge that the Griffins in particular are a trainwreck.

Old 31-01-2023, 12:37 AM #66

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:

I think I'd probably be more offended by them if the Show was telling me that Peter & Lois were noble people, the same with Quagmire or Stewie, but tbf to the writers they do acknowledge that the Griffins in particular are a trainwreck.
That's definitely true LOL, did you ever see the crossover episode with The Simpsons??... it basically made The Simpsons look like The care bears compared to The Griffins .
Old 31-01-2023, 12:44 AM #67

Quote:
That's definitely true LOL, did you ever see the crossover episode with The Simpsons??... it basically made The Simpsons look like The care bears compared to The Griffins .
That crossover episode with the Simpsons is still available on ITVX (I think) and … yh. Marge Simpson is very much a cartoon member of The Waltons compared to any of the F.G. characters besides Meg (who gets bullied way too much on that show).

Old 31-01-2023, 04:29 AM #68

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Oh I remember that episode for the car wash scene alone.

I think I also remember Bart being horrified by something that Stewie did, but I can't remember exactly what Stewie did.

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 31-01-2023 at 04:29 AM.
Old 31-01-2023, 05:41 AM #69

Quote:
Oh I remember that episode for the car wash scene alone.

I think I also remember Bart being horrified by something that Stewie did, but I can't remember exactly what Stewie did.
This is one of the things we’re talking about, to be fair. It was about Stewie prank-calling Mo (after Bart) about his daughter or someone being raped. I did think it was nasty but that’s just how Family Guy is, clearly.

Old 05-02-2023, 12:58 AM #70

Quote:

Peter’s character changed an awful lot as the series progressed, to be fair. I think a lot of what he was like in the beginning (a bit dim but not too stupid) was the fact that the debut seasons came out before the flanderdisation era so the dumber characters weren’t a total anti-intellect train-wreck.

Old 06-02-2023, 12:31 AM #71

Any idea why Louis’ dad is treating Brian like a 15-year-old in episode 19 (ITVX’s latest upload)?

Old 06-02-2023, 11:09 AM #72
שטח זה להשכרה

שטח זה להשכרה

It's a comedy show Red, I try not to over think it.
Livia is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 01:39 PM #73
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

Quote:
Any idea why Louis’ dad is treating Brian like a 15-year-old in episode 19 (ITVX’s latest upload)?
Doesn't Lois' dad basically treat everyone like a petulant teenager?
Soldier Boy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-02-2023, 05:15 PM #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Boy View Post
Doesn't Lois' dad basically treat everyone like a petulant teenager?
True. That he does.

Old 09-02-2023, 11:54 PM #75

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace

Favourites:
CBB2024: Marisha Wallace

The new episode of South Park was excellent tonight and bang on the money concerning Jewish people "running" Hollywood and Kayne West being crazy. And about how films and tv shows are shoving so much (lack of a better term) "woke" bollocks down everyone's throats.

One of the only tv shows remaining with common sense. The offended will always find something to be offended about, when they can't be a victim anymore, when their own "poor me, give me attention" runs out, they become offended for others, usually white men being offended for black people. It must be so insulting for a black person when white people seem to think they know better about offence and bigotry. 3 or 4 do it on here daily.

Anyway, if you're not a deluded snowflake trying to be offended for everyone else, give the new episode of South Park a watch. It's very refreshing.

Last edited by Swan; 09-02-2023 at 11:55 PM.
Swan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
family, guy, jokes