Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 02-07-2022, 04:13 AM #1
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Favourites (more):

Default Sonic Frontiers.

Has anyone been seeing trailers for the upcoming Sonic Game that's being teased as the next "Breath Of The Wild."

This video is one that Nintendo sent out on their channel a few days ago.

For me personally I have respect for the Zelda franchise, and I am a massive Sonic fan, it's one of the only franchises controversially that I never go in really negatively in Gaming because I normally get some enjoyment out of each installment, even the weaker ones.

However this Game looks really, really bad imo, Sonic looks like it's taken Breath Of The Wild, Shadow Of The Colossus (from the bits that I've seen of that Game) put Sonic's character model into that type of world, and this ugly thing has been born.

Don't get me wrong I know that I'm being a little harsh on a Game that hasn't come out yet, but I'm in the camp that thinks that this looks wrong for a Sonic Game, Sonic is meant to be a fast paced Platformer that at best can do Sandbox environments (it's probably the wrong way to describe Sonic Adventure 1) but it's closer to Sandbox than Open World imo.

To me Open World Games are slower paced experiences (which is fine) because it works for most of those Games, but to me it will kill what a Sonic Game is supposed to be which is fast paced Platforming.

I honestly don't get this obsession that certain franchises have of wanting to change their identity irreparably? Resident Evil and FIFA are other franchises that spring to mind on starting out a certain way, and then changed for the worst imo, especially FIFA with their Microtransactions.

It's really sad if Sonic really does come out like the trailers make it look, because that's a franchise (like FIFA) that I have very fond childhood memories over, and it'd be a shame to see them try to become a knockoff Zelda Game.

Zelda does it's thing well, and Sonic does it's own thing well, neither franchise should be copying the other so blatantly though, ever.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2023, 12:22 AM #2

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
Has anyone been seeing trailers for the upcoming Sonic Game that's being teased as the next "Breath Of The Wild."

This video is one that Nintendo sent out on their channel a few days ago.

For me personally I have respect for the Zelda franchise, and I am a massive Sonic fan, it's one of the only franchises controversially that I never go in really negatively in Gaming because I normally get some enjoyment out of each installment, even the weaker ones.

However this Game looks really, really bad imo, Sonic looks like it's taken Breath Of The Wild, Shadow Of The Colossus (from the bits that I've seen of that Game) put Sonic's character model into that type of world, and this ugly thing has been born.

Don't get me wrong I know that I'm being a little harsh on a Game that hasn't come out yet, but I'm in the camp that thinks that this looks wrong for a Sonic Game, Sonic is meant to be a fast paced Platformer that at best can do Sandbox environments (it's probably the wrong way to describe Sonic Adventure 1) but it's closer to Sandbox than Open World imo.

To me Open World Games are slower paced experiences (which is fine) because it works for most of those Games, but to me it will kill what a Sonic Game is supposed to be which is fast paced Platforming.

I honestly don't get this obsession that certain franchises have of wanting to change their identity irreparably? Resident Evil and FIFA are other franchises that spring to mind on starting out a certain way, and then changed for the worst imo, especially FIFA with their Microtransactions.

It's really sad if Sonic really does come out like the trailers make it look, because that's a franchise (like FIFA) that I have very fond childhood memories over, and it'd be a shame to see them try to become a knockoff Zelda Game.

Zelda does it's thing well, and Sonic does it's own thing well, neither franchise should be copying the other so blatantly though, ever.
Sadly I was correct on what I would think of this Game.

Slow, boring dirge that prefers for the player to see more grass or Desert than actual classic Sonic levels.

That's twice now that Sega has ****ed around with one of their franchises, and while Yakuza 7 has it's problems (it really does) at least it has a few redeeming features, Sonic Frontiers is an abomination imo, this "quality" really isn't acceptable for any decade of Gaming.

KRO!
Old 13-03-2023, 06:55 AM #3

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

I'm sorry for spamming this thread, but I feel like I need to vent.

The Director of Sonic Frontiers was doing Q&A's with the fans on Twitter a few days ago, and he was still talking about doing more third generation Sonic Games (basically like this dumpster fire) and I really don't understand why anybody at Sega wants to take a series that's known for being a speedy, colourful, and linear Platformer series into a slow paced and grim Open World series? It makes no sense to me.

But then after all this is the same company that turned Yakuza into a less eccentric JRPG series that barely focused on people in the Yakuza, compared to the first six + Zero actually being a very eccentric Action Brawler series with focus on characters actually being in the Yakuza.

I get that some people like Frontiers for Sonic, and Yakuza 7, but imo they should've been spin-off titles rather than mainline installments because they have nothing in common.

And even away from franchise identity, I genuinely believe that there are quality issues with both Games, especially Frontiers with it's barren Open World and Cyberspace levels.

KRO!
Old 13-03-2023, 10:07 AM #4
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

Ahh come on - I've never played this Sonic game but Yakuza: Like a Dragon is a tonne of fun . There's always "Judgement" for a more... err.. Yakuza-like experience.
Soldier Boy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-03-2023, 04:44 PM #5

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Boy View Post
Ahh come on - I've never played this Sonic game but Yakuza: Like a Dragon is a tonne of fun . There's always "Judgement" for a more... err.. Yakuza-like experience.
Yakuza: Like A Dragon I thought gets better after about 8 or 9 chapters into the Game, but an Action Brawler series becoming a busted JRPG is not what I was looking for personally, it made exploring the City torture imo.

And I do still find party members like Nanba, Saeko & the Cop guy to be pointless in the Game, they bring nothing interesting to the table I feel.

And the fact that you're saying that a spin-off title is more like a mainline installment than the actual mainline installment isn't a good thing imo for Yakuza: Like A Dragon.

KRO!

Last edited by Mystic Mock; 13-03-2023 at 04:45 PM.
Old 14-03-2023, 10:50 AM #6
God Save The Rave

God Save The Rave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Mock View Post
Yakuza: Like A Dragon I thought gets better after about 8 or 9 chapters into the Game, but an Action Brawler series becoming a busted JRPG is not what I was looking for personally, it made exploring the City torture imo.

And I do still find party members like Nanba, Saeko & the Cop guy to be pointless in the Game, they bring nothing interesting to the table I feel.

And the fact that you're saying that a spin-off title is more like a mainline installment than the actual mainline installment isn't a good thing imo for Yakuza: Like A Dragon.
I can appreciate that it would probably have made more sense to spin off the changed combat system, than spin off a game that's closer to the original gameplay mechanic.

Still, you don't see many titles going BACK to turn based from action-based, it's usually the other way round i.e. Final Fantasty 15 / 7 remake.

I miss "classic" turn based J-RPG combat sometimes.
Soldier Boy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 14-03-2023, 12:16 PM #7
Oh no, I'm English

Oh no, I'm English

Medicine sonic frontiers.
Old 15-03-2023, 04:52 AM #8

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soldier Boy View Post
I can appreciate that it would probably have made more sense to spin off the changed combat system, than spin off a game that's closer to the original gameplay mechanic.

Still, you don't see many titles going BACK to turn based from action-based, it's usually the other way round i.e. Final Fantasty 15 / 7 remake.

I miss "classic" turn based J-RPG combat sometimes.
Oh I love some old school JRPG Games.

In particular Atlus have really pleased me with Lucifer's Call/Nocturne, and Persona 4 & 5.

And depending on how you categorize the Pokemon series, I really enjoy most of them as well.

KRO!

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
frontiers, sonic