Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Big Brother 2023 - ITV2 Big Brother UK (BB20) started October 8th 2023 on ITV2 and ITVX.

Old 18-11-2023, 09:14 AM #1

Default BB20 Post Mortem....Big Brother Bitesize

What we got, I loved. But it was so far from the behemoth of a show we used to have that there was a disconnect for me. It felt like Big Brother, but Big Brother light. Big Brother Bitesize

These are the problems I had

1. I HATE the eviction night setup. They're supposed to be the big blockbuster of the week but they felt like a non event. No sense of occasion, no grandiosity. The interviews being pushed into Late and Live are unforgivable. No housemate should be exiting through the back door

2. Half a series. Having it just be 6 weeks long feels like we only just scare the surface with some characters. Not enough live stream to really get to know people either.

3. The location. I hate it. Its really generic, it looks like the garden is stuck on the side of a call centre

4. AJ is lovely and has nice energy but she's not a presenter. She is woeful, tripping over words, extended moments of dead air/silence until she is able to get back on the right page and her accent is so affected that it verges on grating. Rylan, Emma or Davina should have been asked back. Having said that, will is more than capable of carrying this on his own

5. too many tasks that go nowhere. Remember the days tasks lasted days. Late nights, early mornings. Real endurance. Here we had more build up to the a hunger games task than anything and it was over with in an episode. Its all just....Oh is that it.

With that being said

1. Whoever is in charge of casting needs a raise because this was brilliant

2. the house designer did a phenomenal job

All in all, I liked it a lot but it just felt very superficial, very surface, nothing really pulled me in. It was Big Brother for the TikTok generation. Big Brother for those with 0 attention spans. Big Brother for an audience who can barely get through a 20 second YouTube short.

The content was fine, there just wasn't enough of it.

Needs some major changes if its to continue
Old 18-11-2023, 09:22 AM #2
self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

self-oscillating

Favourites:
BB2023: Noky
BB19: Sian

it's just reflective of the age we live in. A BB the same as what was presented 20+ years ago just wouldnt work in todays world .... and we need to accept that
bitontheslide is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 10:16 AM #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliebrew View Post
What we got, I loved. But it was so far from the behemoth of a show we used to have that there was a disconnect for me. It felt like Big Brother, but Big Brother light. Big Brother Bitesize

1. I HATE the eviction night setup. They're supposed to be the big blockbuster of the week but they felt like a non event. No sense of occasion, no grandiosity. The interviews being pushed into Late and Live are unforgivable. No housemate should be exiting through the back door

2. Half a series. Having it just be 6 weeks long feels like we only just scare the surface with some characters. Not enough live stream to really get to know people either.

3. The location. I hate it. Its really generic, it looks like the garden is stuck on the side of a call centre

4. AJ is lovely and has nice energy but she's not a presenter. She is woeful, tripping over words, extended moments of dead air/silence until she is able to get back on the right page and her accent is so affected that it verges on grating. Rylan, Emma or Davina should have been asked back. Having said that, will is more than capable of carrying this on his own

5. too many tasks that go nowhere. Remember the days tasks lasted days. Late nights, early mornings. Real endurance. Here we had more build up to the a hunger games task than anything and it was over with in an episode. Its all just....Oh is that it.

With that being said

All in all, I liked it a lot but it just felt very superficial, very surface, nothing really pulled me in. It was Big Brother for the TikTok generation. Big Brother for those with 0 attention spans. Big Brother for an audience who can barely get through a 20 second YouTube short.

Excellent summary !!

I’d argue a little about the casting ..

Three where awful people and contributed zero squared to the experience imho

Paul : Tom : Farida

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Zizu is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 10:58 AM #4

Just found this little snippet online

::::

Olivia hasn't had a journey , we saw the real Olivia when Paul and Chanelle were in there, she loved the toxic divide,she helped and enjoyed maintaining it through most of the series.

Now she's lost members of her gang, she's now calmer because she's with nicer HMs who won't have any of her bitchy nonsense.

Zac said she told him he had to choose which group he was going to be with , that says it all about Olivia. She's last of the mean girls and didn’t deserve to win.

I was never been keen on Trish but I am not keen on liars either. I have watched live feed where Olivia and her crew sat in the pool constantly bitching about Trish most of the time but of course the sounds kept dipping the minute they mentioned her name and this was hardly ever shown in the highlights. I am glad the horrible ever changing clock face Oliva did not win. I suspect there was more reasons people decided to back her at the last minute. Nothing to do with her being on a journey rubbish or changing her ways whisch she left too late in the game.

Old 18-11-2023, 11:11 AM #5

Favourites (more):
Strictly 2019: Karim Zeroual
BB18: Isabelle

Favourites (more):

Quote:

With that being said

A great analysis. I agree with almost all of what you say here. There was something missing for me, and your choice of the term ‘bite size’ kind of sums it up for me. I’m hoping, however, that this was a sort of tester for ITV, and that they will assess it in order to improve further series.
Garfie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 11:19 AM #6
Marc

Favourites (more):
BB10: Marcus
BB6: Science

Marc

Favourites (more):
BB10: Marcus
BB6: Science

Good post, agreed
Babayaro. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 11:22 AM #7

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitontheslide View Post
it's just reflective of the age we live in. A BB the same as what was presented 20+ years ago just wouldnt work in todays world .... and we need to accept that
This is, sadly, true, and in this day and age what we get is a very sanitised version of people and events. There must be some way they can televise something more ‘real’, perhaps with trigger warnings, that can become points of deeper discussion in L&L.. Discussions about less acceptable behaviour or views within the house, might be a great way to inform, educate and challenge certain views.
Old 18-11-2023, 11:34 AM #8

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
Excellent summary !!

I’d argue a little about the casting ..

Three where awful people and contributed zero squared to the experience imho

Paul : Tom : Farida

I think the thing is though, Zizu, there was a good range of people from different backgrounds, cultures and other aspects of society, and part of what makes it enjoyable is having characters that we dislike as well as those we love.

Thinking about this, perhaps another criticism I would make of this series is that housemates were very clearly edited to fulfil certain stereotypes and narratives within the house, and therefore many became quite one-dimensional to the viewing public, rather than the fully rounded individuals that all people are. Personally, I think this makes us less invested as viewers, as housemates can seem very surface-level and superficial.

It always amazes me how different some of the housemates are during interviews and in their highlights, to the characters presented by the edits. Even on live feed so much is hidden from us or censored through the bird sounds.
Old 18-11-2023, 11:41 AM #9

Favourites:
BB2023: Henry

Favourites:
BB2023: Henry

Quote:

With that being said

I agree! It’s weird to think some series’ of BB used to last like 3 months.. i did like the house/garden but it did all look kinda on the cheap side, especially the walkway into the house.. but like someone said i hope it was just a tester and they up their game for the next series
jones89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 11:48 AM #10

Quote:

With that being said

Great Post Elliebrew...and I totally agree. The Tasks never really pushed them because they were too short. I agree that it was pretty mean depriving Jenkin, Tom and Matty of a proper Eviction considering they got so far. Which is why another 2-3 weeks would have been better.
....and yes the casting was brilliant. The House was great because it actually helped create the Divide....and lets face it we love a Divide. Who wants lots of Matty's and Noky's in there being nice with everyone

I enjoyed it very much....as much as I like AJ I didn't find her that good but Will I thought was good.
rusticgal is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-11-2023, 11:52 AM #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zizu View Post
Just found this little snippet online

::::

Olivia hasn't had a journey , we saw the real Olivia when Paul and Chanelle were in there, she loved the toxic divide,she helped and enjoyed maintaining it through most of the series.

Now she's lost members of her gang, she's now calmer because she's with nicer HMs who won't have any of her bitchy nonsense.

Zac said she told him he had to choose which group he was going to be with , that says it all about Olivia. She's last of the mean girls and didn’t deserve to win.

I was never been keen on Trish but I am not keen on liars either. I have watched live feed where Olivia and her crew sat in the pool constantly bitching about Trish most of the time but of course the sounds kept dipping the minute they mentioned her name and this was hardly ever shown in the highlights. I am glad the horrible ever changing clock face Oliva did not win. I suspect there was more reasons people decided to back her at the last minute. Nothing to do with her being on a journey rubbish or changing her ways whisch she left too late in the game.

I totally agree with this. Olivia is a massive gossip. She loved talking about the other Housemates...then when all her vile gang left she continued to talkabout everyone but in a very different way..

So glad she didn't win....her votes no doubt all came from Bonnie Scotland..
Old 18-11-2023, 11:57 AM #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garfie View Post
A great analysis. I agree with almost all of what you say here. There was something missing for me, and your choice of the term ‘bite size’ kind of sums it up for me. I’m hoping, however, that this was a sort of tester for ITV, and that they will assess it in order to improve further series.

Yes I was wondering that. I guess it was a gamble bringing it back...hopefully next time they might make it longer. Didn't it use to be 12 weeks???
Old 18-11-2023, 12:16 PM #13

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticgal View Post
Yes I was wondering that. I guess it was a gamble bringing it back...hopefully next time they might make it longer. Didn't it use to be 12 weeks???
Yes, it did! Watching this series, it makes me wonder how they filled the time but it never felt too much back then. I think they will extend it next year.
Old 18-11-2023, 01:32 PM #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusticgal View Post
I totally agree with this. Olivia is a massive gossip. She loved talking about the other Housemates...then when all her vile gang left she continued to talkabout everyone but in a very different way..

So glad she didn't win....her votes no doubt all came from Bonnie Scotland..

And blokes under 20

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bb20, big brother, bitesize, mortem, post