Notices

Reality TV Reality TV Show Discussion. Including Survivor, America's Next Top Model, RuPaul's Drag Race and The Only Way is Essex.

Old 13-04-2008, 06:43 AM #1

Default Britain\'s Got Talent - I’ve found a dead body, gained 3lb and had Piers try to ogle me ... but it will be worth it

Quote:
I’ve found a dead body, gained 3lb and had Piers try to ogle me ... but it will be worth it, says Amanda Holden
She may have wrestled with lions, set fire to her rival's hairdressing salon and torn strips off Simon Cowell on screen, but off it Amanda Holden is about to face her biggest challenge.

The actress is one of 37,000 people taking part in today's Flora London Marathon, pounding 26.2 miles of the capital to fulfil a long-standing dream and raise money for charity in the process.

Famous for her roles in television dramas Cutting It and Wild At Heart, and for holding her own against fellow judges Cowell and Piers Morgan on the reality series Britain's Got Talent, she has been in training for six months.

Here, Amanda, 37, who has a two-year-old daughter, Lexi, with her music executive fiance Chris Hughes, 35, chronicles the hilarious highs and hamstring-tearing lows...

Friday, 18th October

My first run. I pant for two miles around a park near my house in Richmond, West London, before wilting under a hot shower.

I used to practise gymnastics and go for the occasional jog, but this is the first proper exercise I've done in about five months.

I let things slide while filming Wild At Heart in South Africa. I didn't put on weight, but I could feel the muscle-tone going round my bottom and the tops of my thighs and I felt blobby and out of condition.

I decided to do the London Marathon the week before I flew home. I called Born Free, the animal charity of which I'm a patron, and said I wanted to run it for them.

Then I told as many people as possible so I couldn't back out.

The first thing my fiance Chris said was: "You're mad but you've always been a stubborn little git so I'm sure you'll make it."

Colleagues gently questioned whether it wasn't perhaps a bit too drastic a way of shaping up.

Simon Cowell was impressed but only for five minutes until he became distracted, as is his way.

Piers Morgan kept going on about how much training I'd have to do and how hard it would be. I told him I'd like to see him try. It really would be a case of Run Fatboy Run.

The marathon was always on my check-list of things to do, along with jumping out of a plane and wing-walking. It usually fell around my sister's birthday, and we watched it while she unwrapped her presents.

I loved Bernie Clifton running in an ostrich costume, and the guy wearing a diving suit who took a week to finish.

Strangely, I never thought they were mad – I was always just a bit jealous. I may, of course, live to regret that.

Monday, 12th November

A shocking start to the week. I was running along the Thames towpath at 7am with my personal trainer, Gareth, when we saw a man lying in a bush.

We stopped to make sure he was all right, and as soon as we tried to wake him we realised he was dead. I called the police.

Three squad cars and about 12 officers turned up. They suspected he had killed himself.

Needless to say, our training was over for the day. It felt very surreal. But as I walked Lexi in the park later, the shock hit me.

That aside, training is going OK.

I am running four times a week for four miles at a time, and doing lunges, squats and stomach crunches to build up my body strength.

To my shame, I missed a session last week. We'd got back from our cottage in Norfolk at midnight and the next morning I was so shattered

I told the man on reception in our block of flats to send Gareth back home when he arrived.

There's never a day when I bound out of bed think: "Hurray! I'm going for a run!" When it is so dark that I can't even see my feet, I wonder what the heck I am doing. But I always feel great afterwards.

Sunday, 23rd December

Woken up at 6.45 with an arm edging across my body. It is Chris, pulling me in for a cuddle and saying that five more minutes in bed won't hurt. He is rubbish at early-morning motivation.

I force myself into my leggings, long-sleeved T-shirt and jacket, warm Lexi's milk and put her in bed with Chris while I go outside for a five-mile run.

We will spend Christmas at our cottage in Norfolk, so this is my last session before the holidays.

I've just come back from four days in New York, where everything went a bit pear-shaped.

Gareth had designed a training schedule for me to do there, but I spent my time shopping and drinking frozen Margaritas instead.

I owned up on my return. He is a proper girls' trainer, and said as long as I'd walked up Fifth Avenue with shopping bags I'd done some exercise.

My Cutting It friends Angela Griffin and Sian Reeves are a bit jealous I'm doing the marathon. Like all the women I've told, they want to know how much weight I've lost.

But the truth is I've put on 3lb of muscle. At 5ft 5in tall, I've gone from 8st 4lb to 8st 7lb. Chris says my body feels firmer but my thighs are bigger and I don't look as good in my skinny jeans.

In addition to porridge for breakfast and a potato for lunch, I've started eating pastries in between meals and sometimes have a glass of red wine in the evening.

Still, if I'm going to be a martyr, I need some kind of reward.

Friday, 18th January

Was pestered by Piers this morning. We've started filming Britain's Got Talent and are staying in hotels around the country.

I was using a hotel treadmill, and he jumped on it afterwards to try to better my time. He did on a couple of occasions, but he didn't seem to get that a marathon takes a lot longer than a treadmill session. He's so competitive, it's hilarious. He's even sponsored me for £1,001 because Simon donated £1,000.

I think the real reason he followed me was to see me in a swimsuit because my training also includes swimming in hotel pools. He tried to be a perv but it really did not suit him.

Admittedly, he's lost some of his double chin after going all Hollywood. He propped up the bar during the last series but he's cut right back on alcohol.

Simon barely drinks either, which helps my healthy lifestyle, although I've just returned from a week of cheese fondues and red wine on a skiing holiday in Switzerland.

Although I'm now running eight miles at least once a week, I haven't experienced any chaffing.

You hear horror stories about runners whose nipples rub against their clothing to the point where they end up bleeding.

I've avoided that by wearing a padded bra and a body warmer when I run. I'm convinced that keeping cosy helps and can't contemplate stripping to shorts and a vest on the day of the race.

I am getting fitter, though – I can actually talk while I'm running. At the weekend Chris cycled alongside me with Lexi in the pod at the front of his bike and Fudge, my cross-breed terrier, alongside as we went round Richmond Park.

When I was putting my kit on, Lexi turned into Frankie Howerd. She said: "Ooooh, Mama's going for a run. Be careful, Mama." I always train at 7am on weekdays so I can spend as much time as possible with her.

The endorphins keep me going during the day but by 6pm, when I'm bathing Lexi, I'm exhausted and hankering after a glass of wine and desperate to get to bed.

Tuesday, 19th February

The Brit Awards. I'm on a table with Louis Walsh, who keeps trying to ply me with wine. It's agony refusing but I can't get drunk when I have to be up so early for training.

It was the same at the Elle Style Awards last week. I was sitting with Michelle Ryan and Holly Willoughby and we were given these enormous cocktail bowls with gorgeous edible pansies on top.

I only had one, which was very restrained considering they were as easy to drink as lemonade.

Such self-control is good practice. Chris barely drinks, so when I do he thinks I'm Sue Ellen.

But despite my abstinence my training has taken a bit of a knock.

Last week Lexi and I had some kind of flu bug and I was on antibiotics. It was my 37th birthday as well. Chris was going to take me to Amsterdam to celebrate, but we had to cancel. Most annoying.

I've never had much sympathy for people who are ill, but apparently exercising as much as I am (five times a week including hill and sprint training, which hurts most of all) takes its toll on your immune system and leaves you more vulnerable to bugs. I wonder yet again why I am doing this.

Monday, 3rd March

This is not a dignified sport. Today I slipped on some early-morning frost and fell off a 5ft fence, flat on my bum, while trying to cross a park that wasn't open.

To top it off, I then tripped head-over-heels on a huge retriever towards the end of my run.

All the same, I completed my first 15-miler. Hurray! Gareth says it's the longest distance I need to run to be able to make it round the 26 miles.

The music on my iPod kept me going. I played Let Me Entertain You, by Robbie Williams, five times and my anthem, Abba's Dancing Queen. It motivates me at every big event in my life.

I wanted to have it playing while I was giving birth to Lexi as well but when I went into labour we took an empty CD case to the hospital by mistake.

Now every muscle in my body aches. After a run this long, you get a tired, sinking feeling that leaves you unsuitable for anywhere except the sofa.

I warn Chris that he will have to be my slave when I cross the finishing line.

I am amazed and thrilled that, so far, I've managed to avoid injuries except a small strain in my shoulder that happened a few days ago. I'm having physio for it.

Today the girl who treats me actually climbed on top of me to try to ease the pain.

Last week I went out for dinner with Angela, Sian and another friend from Cutting It, Sarah Parish. As I had the next day off training, we toasted the evening with pink champagne.

But because Angela was driving, Sarah is pregnant and Sian is injured after falling down a trapdoor while rehearsing her next role, I went home fairly sober. Better in the long run, I suppose.

Saturday, 12th April

Feeling exceptionally nervous, but excited, too. I did just one eight-mile run this week because it's important to conserve energy, and ate as much pasta and potatoes as possible to give my muscles fuel.

I've cut out wine and my daily latte to feel as lively as possible, a welcome side-effect being that I've lost 3lb.

I'm giving curries a miss, too, because I don't think I'd dare do a Paula Radcliffe and go to the toilet at the side of the road.

I might nip behind a bush, but then again, I'd be worried about the paparazzi. Oh, the glamour!

I'm going to try not to listen to music while I'm running because I want to savour every second of the atmosphere, wave to the crowd and talk to the runners dressed as chickens.

I've hired a limobike to take me to the start line in Greenwich, so I can keep as fresh as possible. I did two 15-mile runs last week and one 12-mile.

I'd like to run the marathon in four-and-a-half hours, but whatever happens, I'll cross the finishing line, even if I have to walk.

Raising money for Born Free – more than £5,500 so far – will also keep me going. They do so much good saving protected species and are often overlooked in favour of bigger charities.

For all the pain of training, I feel strong, happy, uplifted and more than a little smug. I'm so confident that Chris is now convinced I'm going to win the race.

He'll be supporting me with Lexi, and afterwards he'll take me home, where I plan to watch the Antiques Roadshow, have a couple of glasses of wine and eat fish and chips.

I'd like to carry on running, and if it goes well I'll think about entering the New York Marathon in November. Then again, there are planes to jump out of.
Source:Daily Mail
Red Moon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 07:47 AM #2
Frozen

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Sam Callahan
CBB 11: Rylan Clark

Frozen

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Sam Callahan
CBB 11: Rylan Clark

Well done Amanda Holden.
Harry! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 08:23 AM #3

I read something about her finding the dead body:

"Who said celebrities weren't self-centred, eh? Proving the old cliche that celebs are totally up themselves and don't give a toss about anyone else is the mediocre talent that is Amanda Holden. Poor Mandy came across a dead body recently while jogging along the Thames – awful, yes? But when reports started to surface about it, Amanda said: "Can I just say, when they said I found a dead body, they said I was 39. I'm 36. I was more traumatised by the fact they got my age wrong than the fact I'd found a stiff." A STIFF?? We're sure the family of the "stiff" feel really comforted by that, Mand – and we're glad you've had the chance to put us straight on your age. Amanda then added: "Obviously, someone did lose their loved one and I don't mean to be flippant. But I did say, 'Oh, I could take over from Amanda Burton in Silent Witness now,' because I wasn't phased by it, purely because I didn't think it was real." Someone get the girl a medal for bravery, eh?"

She sounds lovely...*rolls eyes*
dupin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 08:35 AM #4

Quote:
Originally posted by dupin
The story about her finding the body is here:

Daily Mail- Amanda Holden finds a dead body while out jogging
Red Moon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 12:49 PM #5

Favourites (more):
BB12: Anton
CBB7: Stephanie

Favourites (more):

Quote:

"Who said celebrities weren't self-centred, eh? Proving the old cliche that celebs are totally up themselves and don't give a toss about anyone else is the mediocre talent that is Amanda Holden. Poor Mandy came across a dead body recently while jogging along the Thames – awful, yes? But when reports started to surface about it, Amanda said: "Can I just say, when they said I found a dead body, they said I was 39. I'm 36. I was more traumatised by the fact they got my age wrong than the fact I'd found a stiff." A STIFF?? We're sure the family of the "stiff" feel really comforted by that, Mand – and we're glad you've had the chance to put us straight on your age. Amanda then added: "Obviously, someone did lose their loved one and I don't mean to be flippant. But I did say, 'Oh, I could take over from Amanda Burton in Silent Witness now,' because I wasn't phased by it, purely because I didn't think it was real." Someone get the girl a medal for bravery, eh?"

You try finding someone dead. The only way to not let it get to you or to let it traumatise you is to find something funny about the situation.
Tom is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 01:02 PM #6

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom_
Quote:

You try finding someone dead. The only way to not let it get to you or to let it traumatise you is to find something funny about the situation.
So it's fine that she's being incredibly insensitive about a death. Even if she needed to do that, does she need to tell the press how it was more annoying that they got her age wrong than her finding a 'stiff'.
Old 13-04-2008, 01:30 PM #7

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

How do you know thats her exact wording anyway and it hasn't been taken out of context? The article it is from is clearly biased to paint her in a bad light. You shouldn't believe 90% of the stuff you read.
Old 13-04-2008, 03:52 PM #8

Quote:
How do you know thats her exact wording anyway and it hasn't been taken out of context? The article it is from is clearly biased to paint her in a bad light. You shouldn't believe 90% of the stuff you read.
But how do you know it isn't? You can't take something like that out of context. The only reason it's trying to potrary her in a bad light is because she said such things anyway...
Old 13-04-2008, 06:17 PM #9

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Quote:
But how do you know it isn't? You can't take something like that out of context. The only reason it's trying to potrary her in a bad light is because she said such things anyway...
You can take anything out of context and substitute words if you want to. It doesn't claim to be a direct quote, just a quote in speech marks. I'm not saying she didn't say it, but I'm not saying she did either. My point is opinions shouldn't be based on the tone of the article because you shouldn't believe everything you read.
Old 13-04-2008, 06:52 PM #10

Favourites (more):
UBB: Chantelle
BB11: Josie

Favourites (more):
UBB: Chantelle
BB11: Josie

Ive gone off her after last nights show i think she was a right cow lol. You know that man that couldnt sing but the whole audience were singing along to him and Piers said yes to him, well i know he wasnt good atall but the way she said to him 'youre pants etc...' i thought that was so not like her and really horrible. x
Christina is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 13-04-2008, 06:53 PM #11

Favourites (more):

Favourites (more):

Not a fan of Simon either then?

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags