Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB9 Big Brother 9 in 2008 was won by Rachel Rice.

Old 06-06-2008, 12:49 AM #1

Default BB9 - Not enough diversity

I thought the choice of housemates was decent, but not excellent, though it definitely could have been the best yet. There are half REALLY great housemates, and the other half are just self absorbed clones of each other.

Luke,Dennis,Mohamed and Kathreya are great characters, who are unique and have loads of depth to their personalities.

However, on the other hand we have Sylvia and Alexandra who LOOK the same and even have the same personalities .What exactly is the point of having them both in the house? Seems a bit pointless to me.

Then you have Jennifer,Stephanie,Sylvia (again),Alexandra (again), Rex,Dale and Lisa to a smaller extent who are pretty much carbon clones of each other. They're all shallow, and love themselves. They aren't very diverse at all. They could have had half of those people and it wouldn't have made any difference at all to the dynamics of the house.

I'd much rather see a house with a much more diverse bunch of characters! Failing that, I'd rather see less house mates and less evictions, but keeping the characters diverse.

I realize it's good to get some normal people in there, but there are definitely too many of the same types of people, and it spoils it a bit.

Big Brother got it half right half wrong this year. It could have been phenomenal had they lost 50% of the clones and replaced them with real characters. I can't see why they couldn't. I saw enough just during the audition show.
jamess1988 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:50 AM #2
van der Woodsen

van der Woodsen

I agree. I am finding it hard to differentiate between some people (not on their looks, the fact their personality is the same), so I keep confusing names. I know people are a good HM if I remember their name - it shows they're an individual and worth remembering.
Lauren is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:50 AM #3
BURLESQUE

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Olly Murs

BURLESQUE

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Olly Murs

I think it's one of the most diverse houses yet. The best since BB6!
MrGaryy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:54 AM #4

Nah. It's the most diverse house overall yet. You can't judge one's personality from their VT, a lesson learned from Vanessa and Craig.

Looks-wise, it is definitely the most diverse. Although there are some similarities, they're minor.
Rory is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:55 AM #5
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Some of em need time to shine

I mean remember Glyn!?
He turned out to be second best!
Scarlett. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:55 AM #6

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: John & Edward

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: John & Edward

I think its the most diverse house since BB6.
Spike is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 12:56 AM #7
Senior Member I Told You

Senior Member I Told You

Too many long haired brunettes and the two black girls looked identical to me...but I think overall a nice job.

BB is usually better at casting diverse men than diverse women, as was obvious. You know, besides Kathreya ;-)
stonedape is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:08 AM #8
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by jamess1988
I thought the choice of housemates was decent, but not excellent, though it definitely could have been the best yet. There are half REALLY great housemates, and the other half are just self absorbed clones of each other.

Luke,Dennis,Mohamed and Kathreya are great characters, who are unique and have loads of depth to their personalities.

However, on the other hand we have Sylvia and Alexandra who LOOK the same and even have the same personalities .What exactly is the point of having them both in the house? Seems a bit pointless to me.

Then you have Jennifer,Stephanie,Sylvia (again),Alexandra (again), Rex,Dale and Lisa to a smaller extent who are pretty much carbon clones of each other. They're all shallow, and love themselves. They aren't very diverse at all. They could have had half of those people and it wouldn't have made any difference at all to the dynamics of the house.

I'd much rather see a house with a much more diverse bunch of characters! Failing that, I'd rather see less house mates and less evictions, but keeping the characters diverse.

I realize it's good to get some normal people in there, but there are definitely too many of the same types of people, and it spoils it a bit.

Big Brother got it half right half wrong this year. It could have been phenomenal had they lost 50% of the clones and replaced them with real characters. I can't see why they couldn't. I saw enough just during the audition show.
totally disagree. The only thing sylvial and alexandra have in comon is their skin color. I can see 2 totally diferent personalities. Sylvia way more conservative, and I am pretty sure she'll be way more polite, and considerate (the african background should tell you that). Ithink the girls are the best characters, and the first night might suggest bimboes, but they are intelligent gilrs to me, you cant see their true personnality on the first night. You can speculate, but right now they just try to get to know each other, thats why it seems like they have the same personalities. I coulve said the same thing last year with a lot o the girls,but only for the first couple of nights.
Charleystar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:11 AM #9
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by stonedape
Too many long haired brunettes and the two black girls looked identical to me...but I think overall a nice job.

BB is usually better at casting diverse men than diverse women, as was obvious. You know, besides Kathreya ;-)
The 2 black girl look nothing alike, unless you think all young black girls look alike. They are completely diferent. One is way prettier. One is way skinier!
Charleystar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:18 AM #10
Senior Member I Told You

Senior Member I Told You

No, I don't think all young black girls look alike...they were wearing what seemed to me identical purple dresses...they were both fashionable "diva"-ish in their intro vids...

I think Jennifer, Lisa, and Rachel look alike too so I'm not that particular on faces I guess. Plus, it's only day 1. I'm sure they'll differentiate very soon.

and you have to admit...even looking at the pictures, no 2 males look anything alike, while the only 2 females that seem particularly "different" are Stephanie (blonde) and Kathreya (eccentric)
stonedape is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:48 AM #11
Nah

Nah

That's the problem I guess I have with them: they are all pretty much the same. The girls don't stand out except Rebecca and Kathreya. And for the boys...well, where did they get them from ?
Captain.Remy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:53 AM #12

Nah, I think the girls are different. After watching all night, I am quite happy. Sylvia and Alexandra look similar in size and skin tone,but I think Alexandra will be a mom like Housemate, and Sylvia will be into the boys and stuff. If you notice Rachel, she will be the girl that lasts I think. SHe has strong views on animals, and is a vegetarian. ANd fro what I have seen, she is the least likely to parade around without clothes on. KInd of prudish I think. The boys are all completely different, so its a great mix.
Wildcat! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:06 AM #13

Favourites (more):
UBB: Nikki
BB11: Josie

Favourites (more):
UBB: Nikki
BB11: Josie

I dont like any of them in the house again but i have this every year and then start liking them soon... we have to remember BB has put them in for a reason and have seen countless auditions with them and know more about them and how they are going to be than we can get from a VT
Barbie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:44 AM #14

They do the same every year, more blatant and extreme this year. The girls are all common and shallow and clones of each other. (those here who do not recognise it, lead somewhat similar 'popular culture' lifestyles. The boys, except Dale, (vile arrogant tosser), are all different. Too different. A blind man (with no brain), an albino, a geek. YAWN. Oh, and then there's Kathreya, a sub-human being that was a scientific test tube error.
Moses455 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:56 AM #15

Favourites:
BB17: Jayne

Favourites:
BB17: Jayne

Geez, I thought it was the most diverse it's ever been. Even perhaps a little over-the-top. The guy who's blind, who also likes to wear women's clothes, could turn into another, Pete. What could the guy do that would make the house boot him out. There's going to be sympathy, and he can't see what's going on anyway, which will make it pretty difficult for him to interfere and anger people. I think it's great that they got a blind person, and I'm all for diversity, but I do wonder how this is going to work out.

Katherya, is just hilarious! OMG, where did they find her?

Sometimes Big Brother can seem a bit patronizing, trying to find every diverse person on the planet who doesn't really have a personality which stands out, only their disability. But I think they've done a pretty good job this time.
letmein is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:03 AM #16

Quote:
Originally posted by Moses455
They do the same every year, more blatant and extreme this year. The girls are all common and shallow and clones of each other. (those here who do not recognise it, lead somewhat similar 'popular culture' lifestyles. The boys, except Dale, (vile arrogant tosser), are all different. Too different. A blind man (with no brain), an albino, a geek. YAWN. Oh, and then there's Kathreya, a sub-human being that was a scientific test tube error.
Well arent you a delightful individual. I guess I shouldnt be shocked, given the state of your Karma. You wanna insult the housemates, but you also feel the need to insult Forum members. Well I hope you feel better about yourself at least!
Wildcat! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 08:19 AM #17
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by nowsthebturn
Quote:
Originally posted by Moses455
Well arent you a delightful individual. I guess I shouldnt be shocked, given the state of your Karma. You want to insult the housemates, but you also feel the need to insult Forum members. Well I hope you feel better about yourself at least!
Oh dont worry. that person is vile!
imagination is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 10:57 AM #18

i think that they are diverse, but you also need some people alike to get along like dale and rex.
rhombus92 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:17 AM #19

They could have put a few more older housemates
Kylie89 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:19 AM #20

Loads of brunettes - very strange, like a Witches coven!?

But I prefer that they're not all huge characters, 2004 was ridiculous with people like Marco (was that the gay bald guy's name), Nadia, etc etc in there. I remember there were a bunch of weirdos and a handful of more 'normal' types. I prefer to see everyday people rather than a circus. I think it looks okay - I'm not sure how the blind guy is sposed to cope though??
LilSis08 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:22 AM #21
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

I see Moses455 is at it again. LOL

Personally, I dont think the HM's can be too diverse as it would seem like the producers are putting a bunch of freaks in the house a la BB7.

I think this is a good bunch of HM's. We seem to have some egos, some fun loving, some more serious etc. I think this could be a great series.
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:26 AM #22

How can you judge the series? Its only barely Day 2.

Its got to be at least Day 5 before you can start judging the series and its housemates properly.
Chrizzle is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:27 AM #23

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB22: Nick Leeson

Favourites (more):
BB19: Lewis F
CBB22: Nick Leeson

I think they are a great bunch. Well done C4!
*mazedsalv** is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:30 AM #24
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally posted by Chrizzle
How can you judge the series? Its only barely Day 2.

Its got to be at least Day 5 before you can start judging the series and its housemates properly.
Possibly, but I knew last year with the gimmicky all female house and the year before with all the freaks that the series were going to be dire. All I'm saying is that I'm a lot more optimistic than I was this time last year or the year before.
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 11:32 AM #25

I think it's the most diverse house since BB6. Much more diverse than BB8 and BB7.

All though there a quite a few young ones, there opinions and way of life seem quite different and as the series goes on those sides will come out.

There is a good mix of a race in there, religion, backgrounds, looks and personality. I really think we are in for a great series. I can already see tensions building on the live feed.
Redmond is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bb9, diversity