Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 29-10-2008, 12:03 PM #26

Default Brand and Ross: BBC statement

Quote:
Brand and Ross: BBC statement
BBC director general Mark Thompson has suspended presenters Jonathan Ross and Russell Brand following the row over their prank phone calls to Fawlty Towers actor Andrew Sachs on Radio 2.

The move was announced in this statement:

"I would like to add my own personal and unreserved apology to Andrew Sachs, his family and to licence fee payers for the completely unacceptable broadcast on BBC Radio 2.

BBC audiences accept that, in comedy, performers attempt to push the line of taste. However, this is not a marginal case.

It is clear from the views expressed by the public that this broadcast has caused severe offence and I share that view.

Since Sunday, I have been in regular contact with the senior executives I tasked with handling this issue.

The investigation that I instructed Tim Davie [director of BBC audio and music] to conduct is nearing completion, and I am returning to London to review the findings and, in the coming days, announce what action we will take.

In the meantime, I have decided that it is not appropriate for either Russell Brand or Jonathan Ross to continue broadcasting on the BBC until I have seen the full report of the actions of all concerned.

This gross lapse of taste by the performers and the production team has angered licence payers.

I am determined that we satisfy them that any lessons will be learnt and appropriate action taken.

I have been asked to report to the Trust's Editorial Standards Committee before the end of this week and will discuss with the Trust the findings of the report and the actions I propose. "
Source:BBC
Red Moon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 12:05 PM #27

Is the producer of the show also getting suspended? Seeing as he let the broadcast go out on air
Dan_ is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 12:08 PM #28

I do think this has been blown out of proportion, particularly because Brand does this sort of thing often. There's always a new controversy surrounding his name, and all this publicity is probably exactly what he wants (albeit not getting suspended).

I think the suspension is not for this alone, but a point BBC is making that they are strict about this kind of behaviour, and probably for all the things he/they have done in the past as well (particularly Brand). People will still watch their shows, I can guarantee it (even I really like Friday Night with JR).

But I definitely think this is just a case of people jumping on the bandwagon, since hardly anyone will have heard the show until afterwards.
Bells is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 12:27 PM #29

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan_
Is the producer of the show also getting suspended? Seeing as he let the broadcast go out on air
The show is produced by Vanity Projects which is Brand's own production company, so the owner of the production company has been suspended too.

People forget a lot of programmes aren't made by the BBC many of them and purchased from independent production companies. It is that policy that is at fault. The BBC have lost control of the production values of their own programmes.
Old 29-10-2008, 12:29 PM #30

usualy like ross

but brands alwas been a cock
30stone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 12:44 PM #31

that is so pathetic i mean it was a joke
people need to get over them selves
grrrrrrrrrr
:)tom:) is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 12:46 PM #32
Bitch is BACK!

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Olly Murs

Bitch is BACK!

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Olly Murs

I actually love Russell Brand and think its rather funny. He shouldnt have been suspended!
Annie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 12:48 PM #33

what did they actually say
Greg.! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 12:50 PM #34

After the show, 2 people complained and said that they thought it was offensive. Since then, the matter has received much publicity and there has been about 15,000 complaints, not to mention the Daily Mail practically calling for Brand and Ross to have their heads chopped off. (I HATE the Daily Mail - who the heck do they think they are, trying to tell us what we should be outraged by, what minorities we should hate, what is wrong with Britain today all according to their narrow minded views)?

My take on the situation is this:

Yes, what they did was offensive, tacky and rude. Yes, they should (and have) apologise to Andrew Sachs. However, the whole thing has been blown out of proportion. The show was pre-recorded, and somebody at the BBC cleared it for broadcast. At the time, only two people complained. But folks love a good bandwagon to jump on, and since then 15,000 have complained. I would like to know how many of those 15,000 actually listened to the show and were offended at the time (as opposed to being told that they should be offended, or looking the clip up on YouTube, where you can find the broadcast).

Georgina Baillie (the grand-daughter in question) is a member of a dance troupe called the Satanic Sluts. Now, I do not think that being a member of an extremely provocative dance troupe means that she should have her sex life broadcast to all and sundry - certainly not. But I do find it interesting that after the broadcast, the Satanic Sluts MySpace page actually thanked Russell Brand for giving them a 'shout out' on his show. Clearly, Georgina and her band were not offended. But now there is tons of publicity surrounding the matter, she has suddenly decided that she is furious as well. Hypocritical much?

I like Russell Brand. I do think he went too far on this occasion, but I admit to finding him very funny in the right environment. As for Jonathan Ross - meh. He used to be a good presenter, but these days, all he seems to do is lech over the female guests on his show, and is far more interested in hogging the limelight constantly when he is interviewing someone, rather than letting them have their 10 minutes of attention. I do not think he is worth the Ł18million he receives from the Beeb every year. But that is all a separate issue. I feel that Brand and Ross behaved like a pair of silly schoolchildren. What they did was wrong. But outrage; fury? I got nothing in that area.
Ruth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 12:52 PM #35

Quote:
Originally posted by gregalz123
what did they actually say
Here are the transcripts of the calls

Quote:
[Speaking on Andrew Sachs' answerphone]

Russell Brand: Hello Andrew Sachs, this is Russell Brand … you are meant to be on my show now mate … I am here with Jonathan Ross. I could still do the interview to your answerphone.

Jonathan Ross: Let's do it …

Brand: Man … er, Andrew Sachs.

Ross: Don't call him Manuel, that's really bad manners. I apologise for Russell - he's an idiot.

Brand: I said Andrew Sachs! Look Andrew Sachs I have got respect for you and your lineage and your progeny, never let that be questioned.

Ross: Don't hint …

Brand: I weren't hinting! Why did that come across as a hint?

Ross: Because you know what you did…

Brand: That wasn't a hint …

Ross: He ****ed your granddaughter!

[laughter in the studio]

Brand: That's his answerphone!

Ross: I'm sorry … I apologise Andrew, I apologise, I can't help it, you were talking about it and it was in my head, I apologise.

Brand: Jonathan!

Ross: I got excited, what can I say, it just came out.

Brand: Right. you wait till I come on your show. Andrew Sachs I did not do nothing with Georgina … oh no, I revealed I know her name! Oh no, it's a disaster! Abort, abort! Put the phone down, put the phone down, code red, code red! I'm sorry Mr Fawlty, I'm sorry. You're a waste of space! Oh no, Jonathan …

Ross: Why did you tell me? I forgot. You mentioned her and then it was in my head and then it came out.

Brand: I know you can't be blamed for this … It's too much for you …

Ross: He is the poor man at home sobbing over his answer machine.

Brand: What's going to happen? I will get a call now from the satanic sluts.

Ross: If he is like most people of a certain age he has probably got a picture of his grandchildren when they were young and innocent right by the phone. So while he is listening to the message he is looking at a picture of her when she was about nine on a swing …

Brand: She was on a swing when I met her … let's ring back Andrew Sachs.

[They call for a second time]

Ross: Hello! Manuel here!

Sachs: [his answer machine message] Sorry I can't answer at the moment …

Brand: [interrupting] … I am too busy thinking about killing myself … Andrew, this is Russell Brand. I am so sorry about the last message - it was part of the radio show, it was a mistake … The truth is I am phoning you to ask if I can marry - that's right, marry - Georgina the granddaughter.

Ross: And I would like to be a page boy.

Brand: He wants to be a page boy, we are going to have a Fawlty Towers-themed wedding.

Ross: Now you've spoilt it!

Brand: No! I made it better. I'm sorry, I'll do anything. I wore a condom. Put the phone down! Oh what's going to happen. Look I've got a mental illness. Do you think that made it better?

Ross: You will never become king rat in the Variety Club now.

Brand: Oh no, that's over for me now … Jonathan I think we've made the situation worse ... We've got to stop upsetting Manuel. This time Jonathan I'm convinced we can make it better.

Ross: Let's just sing to him.

Brand: I'll make up something as I go along…

[Third message]

Brand: [singing…] I'd like to apologise for the terrible attacks, Andrew Sachs, I would like to show contrition to the max, Andrew Sachs. I would like to create world peace, between the yellow, white and blacks, Andrew Sachs, Andrew Sachs. I said something I didn't have oughta, like I had sex with your granddaughter. But it was consensual and she wasn't menstrual, it was consensual lovely sex. It was full of respect I sent her a text, I've asked her to marry me, Andrew Sachs …

Ross: This has made it worse, you have trivialised the whole incident.

Brand: Hang up, hang up! It's trivialised it!

Ross: You know there is one way we could possibly make it better …

Brand: We can keep ringing, and even after the show's finished, kick his front door in and scream apologies into his bottom.

Ross: Hello, Manuel is not in right now. Please leave a message after the tone…

[Fourth message]

Brand: I am sorry, I am so sorry … that I had a difficult life, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry Andrew. Let's just take some time together, we can meet up.

Ross: You're making it worse, just say sorry.

Brand: Jonathan Ross is sorry as well, it was his idea … Sorry about everything that's ever happened …

[Later]

Brand: No one could have been offended by anything that went on in that show.

Ross: Who could possibly be offended by anything there? If they were they are crazy people.

Brand: If Andrew Sachs listens to his answerphone message when he gets it …

Ross: The saving grace is you didn't have anything to do with his granddaughter did you?

Brand: Oh actually I did, I slept with her, but it was ultimately undermined, not undermined, underlined with love …
Source: The Guardian
Old 29-10-2008, 12:54 PM #36
can't nobody hold us down

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Joe McElderry

can't nobody hold us down

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Joe McElderry

Does this mean no Friday Night.... this week?
MarkWaldorf is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 12:58 PM #37

Quote:
Originally posted by Markus
Does this mean no Friday Night.... this week?
Yes.

It is in the BBC press story posted in the thread that came out earlier today.
Old 29-10-2008, 01:01 PM #38

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruth
After the show, 2 people complained and said that they thought it was offensive. Since then, the matter has received much publicity and there has been about 15,000 complaints, not to mention the Daily Mail practically calling for Brand and Ross to have their heads chopped off. (I HATE the Daily Mail - who the heck do they think they are, trying to tell us what we should be outraged by, what minorities we should hate, what is wrong with Britain today all according to their narrow minded views)?
I have to agree about the media whipping the whole story up and getting people to complain with this sort of thing at the ends of the stories:

Quote:
If you want to complain to Ofcom about the Brand and Ross comments, call: 020 7981 3040 or 0300 123 3333.

Or you can write to: Ofcom, Riverside House, 2a Southwark Bridge Road, London,SE1 9HA. Or use the website: www.ofcom.org.uk
Source:Evening Times

Clearly it is in the interest of the press to make the story bigger than it really is order to sell more newspapers.
Old 29-10-2008, 01:05 PM #39

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: John & Edward

Favourites:

The media have caused all the fuss, if they hadn't of got involved then it would of just been a radio link that just offended a few people. It reminds me of the CBB race row, again the media made it something it wasn't
Spike is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 01:35 PM #40

No wonder they got suspenced, they kept ringing the poor man back. It's like harrassment.
officialleafan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 02:18 PM #41

it was freaking funny i was laughing but i thinks this has gone tooo far even parliment is talking about it
bluehill is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 02:44 PM #42

His grand daughter will be all over the papers now selling her story so she will make some money out of it.
Jackie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 02:46 PM #43

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally posted by jackie46
His grand daughter will be all over the papers now selling her story so she will make some money out of it.
She already has, look on The Sun website
Spike is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 02:50 PM #44

Fawlty Towers will make a return LOL.
Jackie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 04:51 PM #45

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Lloyd Daniels

Favourites:

Russell Brand has just announced that he's resigning from Radio 2.
Matt08 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 04:54 PM #46

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt08
Good, he doesn't need all this **** over one poxy phone call. Its gone too far now...
Jake! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 04:55 PM #47

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Originally posted by Jake!
Quote:
Good, he doesn't need all this **** over one poxy phone call. Its gone too far now...
Maybe in future he should learn to keep his mouth shut and grow up a bit.
Old 29-10-2008, 04:56 PM #48

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Or other people can relax a little...
Jake! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 04:57 PM #49

Ross should have to resign aswell.
Evz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 04:57 PM #50

Favourites:

Favourites:

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Or other people can relax a little...
What about if someone rang your Grandad and left nasty messages and then broadcast it on the radio? I'm sure you'd have a different view on it then.

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
added, baillie, georgina, granddaughter, rossbrand, row, sachs, speak, stories, thread