Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

TV Chat Chat about anything else on TV not covered by the other forums in this category.

Old 29-10-2008, 05:00 PM #51

Quote:
Originally posted by Matt08
Quote:
Originally posted by Jake!
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Russell Brand has just announced that he's resigning from Radio 2.
Good, he doesn't need all this **** over one poxy phone call. Its gone too far now...
Maybe in future he should learn to keep his mouth shut and grow up a bit.
Or other people can relax a little...
What about if someone rang your Grandad and left nasty messages and then broadcast it on the radio? I'm sure you'd have a different view on it then.
My grandad would but I wouldn't... Its just me, I'm common, I don't really care to be honest bout all this, its useless. Does nothingto me or for me so...
Jake! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 05:00 PM #52

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Russell Brand has just announced that he's resigning from Radio 2.
Good, he doesn't need all this **** over one poxy phone call. Its gone too far now...
Maybe in future he should learn to keep his mouth shut and grow up a bit.
Or other people can relax a little...
What about if someone rang your Grandad and left nasty messages and then broadcast it on the radio? I'm sure you'd have a different view on it then.
Especially the suicide part.
Evz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 05:12 PM #53

Favourites:
BB11: Shabby

Favourites:
BB11: Shabby

Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Its all been blown out of proportion. 2 people complained, the media reported it and suddenly everyone jumps on the bandwagon. I'd be surprised if more than 5% of those who complained even heard the show.
Aye thats what I was thinking
I also think its abit sad when people complain over a Tv show
bronaaaa is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 05:14 PM #54

Quote:
Originally posted by Fascination
Quote:
Originally posted by Tom
Its all been blown out of proportion. 2 people complained, the media reported it and suddenly everyone jumps on the bandwagon. I'd be surprised if more than 5% of those who complained even heard the show.
Aye thats what I was thinking
I also think its abit sad when people complain over a Tv show
Also when people complain over adverts...
Jake! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 07:23 PM #55

Quote:
Originally posted by Evz
Ross should have to resign aswell.
Ross might be out of order but at least he said sorry, unlike Brand.
Red Moon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 08:03 AM #56

Quote:
Originally posted by ukturtle
Ohhhh Ross & Band won't wriggle out of this one easily. This could end their career.
No, it won't. if anything, it will just enhance their career.

What a load of hot air this whole thing is. I do think what they did was tacky and silly. But the vast majority of complainers are only outraged because the media *cough*Daily Mail*cough* has told them that they should be outraged. I bet at least half of those complaining haven't even heard the broadcast.

Georgina Baillie is showing astounding hypocrisy or stupidity in banging on about it (bookings for your group, 'Satanic Sluts' going up are they, love?). She says her grandfather just wants this whole furore to go away - yet she is the one banging on about it now.

Personally I found the sight of Andrew Sachs practically being pinned up against a wall by a gaggle of reporters wanting to hear what he had to say, far more disturbing that Brand and Ross' broadcast. Sachs himself has shown a tremendous amount of dignity. He acknowledged that they are performers, and sometimes performances go wrong. He said that he had received very nice apologies from both of them. He said that he did not want revenge.

There are plenty of injustices in this world for people to get angry about. This isn't one of them.
Ruth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 08:03 AM #57

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Moon
Quote:
Originally posted by Evz
Ross should have to resign aswell.
Ross might be out of order but at least he said sorry, unlike Brand.
Andrew Sachs said that he has received very nice personal apologies from both of them
Old 30-10-2008, 09:15 AM #58

Quote:
Originally posted by Ruth
Andrew Sachs said that he has received very nice personal apologies from both of them
Ah... I read in the papers that Georgina Baillie (aka Voluptua) said her grandfather hadn't received a personal apology from Mr Brand... may be he has done it since the article was written.

It's funny how Georgina Baillie seems to coming out of this all squeaky clean, she such a good role model for teenagers today.
Old 30-10-2008, 10:17 AM #59

She has also done an exclusive interview with The Sun today - telling all about how she bedded Brand, and he was a disappointment. Classy girl.
Old 30-10-2008, 10:22 AM #60

Quote:
She has also done an exclusive interview with The Sun today - telling all about how she bedded Brand, and he was a disappointment. Classy girl.
Very....lol

Old 30-10-2008, 10:24 AM #61
Bitch is BACK!

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Olly Murs

Bitch is BACK!

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: Olly Murs

Quote:
Wow I bet he isnt a disappointment and she is just trying to get back at him.
Annie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 06:01 PM #62

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Tamera Foster
I'maCeleb2013: Matthew Wright

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Tamera Foster
I'maCeleb2013: Matthew Wright

Quote:
Jonathan Ross suspended from BBC for 12 weeks over prank phone calls

Jonathan Ross has been suspended from all BBC TV and radio services without pay for 12 weeks over his part in the prank calls to actor Andrew Sachs.

The BBC director general, Mark Thompson, said the contribution of the corporation's highest paid star to the Sachsgate prank calls "was utterly unacceptable and cannot be allowed to go uncensured or without sanction".

Ross is on a three-year, Ł6m-a-year deal, although this money also includes production fees paid to the independent company through which many of his BBC TV and radio shows are made.

A statement released by BBC management said: "The presenter Jonathan Ross will be suspended from all broadcasting for the BBC for a 12-week period, ending in mid-January 2009.

"He will not be paid by the BBC during this period: the fees that would have been paid will be deducted from his BBC contract."

Thompson said: "The ultimate editorial responsibility for BBC programmes lies with producers and editorial managers. The consequences of errors of judgement are therefore more serious for managers.

"Nonetheless, Jonathan Ross's contribution to this edition of the Russell Brand show was utterly unacceptable and cannot be allowed to go uncensured or without sanction.

"A 12-week suspension is an exceptional step, but I believe it is a proportionate response to Jonathan's role in this unhappy affair.

Thompson continued: "Jonathan Ross has already made a comprehensive and unreserved personal apology to Andrew Sachs and his granddaughter.

"I believe that he fully understands the seriousness of what has happened.

"I have made very clear to him the central importance of the clause in his contract about not bringing the BBC into disrepute. We agree that nothing like this must ever happen again and that tight discipline will be required for the future."

Source: MediaGuardian.co.uk
Matt is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 06:02 PM #63

Favourites:
X Factor 2009: John & Edward

Favourites:

This is ridiculous, if I was Jonathan I would quit the BBC and move to ITV.
Spike is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 06:05 PM #64

Favourites:

Favourites:

The Radio 2 controller has also resigned now, this is taking something too far
Spike is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 07:06 PM #65

Putting aside the fact that Brand and Ross should never had made the phone calls and the BBC should never have approved it for transmission, there something really worrying happening to broadcasting that allows small pressure groups and the media to influence to the whole future of the industry and the nature of the programmes we watch or listen too.

The newspaper the Daily Mail has played a big hand in all that has gone on. It started by leading the story and as the days have gone on it has ramped up it's campaign and tapped into the concern about vulgarity and crudity that so many of it's older readers believe in.

Now it has scored the first goal against the BBC, and other broadcasters too, there is nothing stopping it doing it again and again, making it the campion of all that good and clean. It now has the power to sanitise both Radio and Television. Censoring our viewing or listening and generally treating us like children who aren't responsible enough to know where the off button is. It has it army of grey old ladies and church goers with pens at the ready to write to Ofcom at it's command.

I think we should concerned about what has happened today, because it more than just about Brand, Ross and the BBC.
Old 30-10-2008, 07:20 PM #66
Jolly good

Jolly good

I wouldn't be surprised to see Voluptua on Celeb BB in January now.

This whole thing gets sillier and more over-reacted to by the day. Where can you go to complain about media bandwagons lol.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-10-2008, 07:25 PM #67

I agree with you James. She will be milking this for all it is worth. And Red, I think your post is wonderful, and I agree with every word.
Old 30-10-2008, 07:30 PM #68

Quote:
Originally posted by James
I wouldn't be shocked by that, and the people at Channel 4 would love the idea of a girl that takes her clothes off and whips her girl friends bottom with a crop and I also hear she not unfamiliar with doing the housework with few clothes on while drinking a bottle of vodka and being sick now again. It would just be what the show needs..... lol...... and the Daily Mail could have a field day.

Quote:
This whole thing gets sillier and more over-reacted to by the day. Where can you go to complain about media bandwagons lol.
On serious note you could talk to the Press Complaints Commission, however they don't seem to mention media bandwagons in their code of practice.

Maybe you could have a word Mr.Brown he has nothing better to do than jump on media bandwagons so I'm sure he knows all about them.
Old 30-10-2008, 10:52 PM #69
Jolly good

Jolly good

Peter Bazalgette (ex Big Brother boss) on This Week on BBC1 talking about all this.
Old 30-10-2008, 10:55 PM #70

Quote:
Peter Bazalgette (ex Big Brother boss) on This Week on BBC1 talking about all this.
And what did he have to say about all this?
Old 30-10-2008, 11:06 PM #71
Jolly good

Jolly good

Basically saying it was a fairly trivial issue that had been overblown by the media wanting to create a story and report on itself. Wasn't sure what Jonathon Ross would be like when he comes back from his ban, thought he might have to tone down the bad language on his show.

They had a laugh at how Gordon Brown was making statements on it also and not all the other trouble in the world. Michael Portillo said he thought it came at a good time for the government because they could use this to deflect from everything else that is going on. They said that the amount of money JR makes has contributed to the outrage and these furores move much faster than they did 10 years ago.

It was mentioned how they BBC had been slow to respond because a lot of them were on holiday last week.

It was one of the few reasonable discussions I've heard about this business, actually.
Old 30-10-2008, 11:21 PM #72

Quote:
Basically saying it was a fairly trivial issue that had been overblown by the media wanting to create a story and report on itself. Wasn't sure what Jonathon Ross would be like when he comes back from his ban, thought he might have to tone down the bad language on his show.

They had a laugh at how Gordon Brown was making statements on it also and not all the other trouble in the world. Michael Portillo said he thought it came at a good time for the government because they could use this to deflect from everything else that is going on. They said that the amount of money JR makes has contributed to the outrage and these furores move much faster than they did 10 years ago.

It was mentioned how they BBC had been slow to respond because a lot of them were on holiday last week.

It was one of the few reasonable discussions I've heard about this business, actually.
Thanks James, it sounds like the sort of thing I agree with.

The press has made too much of this and the way the BBC have reacted has been slow. Now they have press to control them and censor them in future, because they didn't react fast enough. They should have been bolder and not crumbled under the pressure.

Now Ross will have to tone things down, as will everyone else on the BBC, and it will take years for these people to gain the free speech that presenters on the BBC once had. Just like it took Big Brother nearly 2 years to get over the Goody affair.

As for Brown, well it's a bad time to be PM, they were right to have ago at him for trying get out of the trouble his and other governments has caused by freeing up the markets.
Old 31-10-2008, 12:13 AM #73

I think out of all the people who heard this on the show, a handful only complained. People who listen to Russell know what type of humor to expect from him and his radio show, although he does push the boundaries all the time, only when this got media attention did people who actually hadn't heard it before started complaining, just shows you how people really complain for the sake of complaining, if anything Brand was in the wrong here, it seemed that Jonathan was influenced by Russell to say what he said on that prank call. It has been blown out of proportions by the media, once again, making it seem like its something horrendous, when its really not is it?
It didn't help that his granddaughter started getting in on a piece of action.
Its only really down to the media attention, I think, that gave Ross that much amount of suspension time. I just don't get why everyone is making such a big deal out of this? Yes it was wrong, (although I found it funny. ) But it surely didn't deserve Russell to resign as well as Ross getting a suspension.
Xander is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-10-2008, 09:36 AM #74

Quote:
Originally posted by Red Moon
Quote:
I wouldn't be shocked by that, and the people at Channel 4 would love the idea of a girl that takes her clothes off and whips her girl friends bottom with a crop and I also hear she not unfamiliar with doing the housework with few clothes on while drinking a bottle of vodka and being sick now again. It would just be what the show needs..... lol...... and the Daily Mail could have a field day.
As a footnote to this comment, I did have evidence to back up what I said, but they have taken the video's off of You Tube.
Old 31-10-2008, 12:58 PM #75

Just come in
link

Jonathan Ross pulls out of hosting British Comedy Awards
Tara Conlan guardian.co.uk, Friday October 31 2008 13.35 GMT Article

Jonathan Ross is to step down from presenting this year's British Comedy Awards following the 'Sachsgate' affair.

Although he is only suspended from BBC shows for his part in the prank calls to actor Andrew Sachs, Ross decided not to go ahead with fronting the ITV1 show in December "with the agreement of ITV".

A spokesman for Ross said: "It's a show he very much enjoys being part of but would not want his participation in this year's event to take away from the awards themselves or the many talented winners of the awards."

The ITV director of television, Peter Fincham, added: "We respect Jonathan's decision to stand down from the 2008 British Comedy Awards which has been made with the full support of ITV and the show's producers."

This year's British Comedy Awards are due to take place on December 6, returning to ITV1 having not been broadcast last year while the broadcaster investigated allegations about problems with a phone vote for the 2005 event.

More details soon…
lookintomyeyes is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
added, baillie, georgina, granddaughter, rossbrand, row, sachs, speak, stories, thread