Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

The X Factor 2004-'08 [S1-5] Discussion of previous series (2004-2008) and the contestants. Winners were Steve Brookstein, Shayne Ward, Leona Lewis, Leon Jackson and Alexandra Burke.

Old 11-12-2008, 08:21 AM #1

Default X Factor too close to call

Quote:
X Factor too close to call
The X Factor final takes place on Saturday and it’s down to JLS, Alexandra or Eoghan. Who do you want to win?

IT’S THE biggest show of the year and things couldn’t be closer as the nail-biting climax approaches.

After Diana Vickers’ teary goodbye last week, we’re left with just three contestants – diva-in-waiting Alexandra Burke, smooth harmony group JLS and Irish cheeky chappy Eoghan Quigg.

Alexandra is the bookies’ favourite to win, but judging by Simon Cowell’s “If-this-was-based-on-talent-alone-you-would-win” call-to-arms comments lately, the London-born singer isn’t as popular with the voting public as the rest.

Whether she wins X Factor or not, chances are there is a record deal out there with her name on it. Voices like hers don’t come along very often and it’s testament to her determination that she stuck with singing after being rejected from the same show by Louis Walsh in 2005.

If Alexandra does win, many believe she could go on to outshine former winner Leona Lewis.

On to JLS. After a strong start, they also had a few bad weeks.

Ending up in the bottom two, however, and having to sing for their survival against Rachel Hylton was obviously a good thing for the four-piece. They have looked like genuine contenders ever since.

Supermodel Kate Moss and England rugby star Danny Cipriani seem to think so, anyway. It’s been revealed both are fans of the band, while JLS member JB is friends with I’m A Celebrity . . . star and former Blue member Simon Webbe.

Last but by no means least is teenager Eoghan Quigg.

With Simon as his mentor, he’s definitely got experience and record-industry clout on his side. He’s also the contestant who can potentially appeal to the most voters. He’s young and cute, while his nationality also guarantees him support.

His onstage tears when alleged girlfriend Diana was voted off won’t have done him any harm either.

JLS are not the only ones to catch the eyes and ears of famous faces, however.

Sinitta, herself a pop star in the 80s and Simon Cowell’s right-hand woman in the final auditions, thinks she knows who is going to win on Saturday.

“Alexandra deserves to win X Factor, but I believe that Eoghan will,” she says.

Sarah, of last year’s third-placed act Same Difference, isn’t quite so sure.

“We really, really like Eoghan. He’s lovely. And Alexandra – all of the girls were just incredible this year, and JLS have a massive fanbase.”

Sean, her brother and bandmate says: “I think overall Alex will probably end up coming out the winner.”

Among the celebrities, there was a lot of support for Diana.

It’s doubtful being voted off before the final is going to stop her becoming a star. While mentoring one week, Take That’s Gary Barlow offered to work with her should Simon Cowell not give her a similar deal.

Francis Rossi of Status Quo was quick to praise the 17-year-old Lancastrian.

“Diana’s got the X factor. I don’t know what it is about her, her voice isn’t blinding, but there’s something, you’re looking at her and she draws you in.”

DJ and presenter Alex Zane has been scathing about the programme in the past, but had some kind words for the shoeless singer.

“For me, she’s the only one who in any way embraces any contemporary singing,” he said.

Had Diana gone on to win, her version of the winner’s song – Hallelujah – would have likely been the most successful, seeing as she sang the song, originally written by Leonard Cohen and made famous by Jeff Buckley, at Boot Camp.

So who is real winner in all this? Is it the artists themselves?

Yes, partly.

The cynical would say only Simon Cowell is the winner.

Laura White’s surprise eviction, however, despite her seemingly being one of the favourites, proves that we don’t always get what we want.

But whatever happens, it’s going to be one of the TV events of the year.

The X Factor final is on ITV1 on Saturday at 7.10pm.
Source: Press and Journal
Red Moon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 10:19 AM #2

Favourites:
BB12: Alex
X Factor 2011: Janet

Favourites:
BB12: Alex
X Factor 2011: Janet

I think it will be close, but I hope Alex wins. It's about time a girl won.
XxShortyxX is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
call, close, x factor