Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 15-03-2009, 09:51 AM #1
Frozen

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Sam Callahan
CBB 11: Rylan Clark

Frozen

Favourites (more):
X Factor 2013: Sam Callahan
CBB 11: Rylan Clark

Default \'Sarah\'s Law\' to be extended

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090315/...d-dba1618.html

More parents will get access to information about paedophiles living near their children. Skip related content

Trials of a new scheme to publish details of sex offenders began last September following campaigning for a "Sarah's Law".

It followed the brutal murder of eight-year-old Sarah Payne by convicted sex offender Roy Whiting.

Home Secretary Jacqui Smith said trials in Cambridgeshire, Hampshire, Stockton in Cleveland and Warwickshire were giving children a "better deal".

From Monday, the scheme will be rolled out to more areas in a move that could pave the way for its national implementation.

Despite fears that the scheme could lead to vigilante attacks against sex offenders, there have been no such incidents so far.

More than 150 parents have made inquiries in the four trial areas. Of those, ten were ultimately supplied with details about convicted sex offenders that their children may have come into contact with.

Ms Smith said: "Drawing in families and allowing them to take responsibility and share their concerns with the police is a positive way forward.

"In tackling crime you need people to stand alongside police. And in the police areas where the schemes have been operating I would say we are giving children a better deal."

Sarah's mother Sara Payne, the Government's Victims' Champion, said: "I would say we are giving families a better deal by including them in child protection. They should be, and need to be, involved.

"By next year I hope any problems will have been ironed out. I want to be able to answer anyone who has a downside to the scheme."
Harry! is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 08:58 PM #2
Z

Z

I think the risk of vigilantism is still extremely high with this, but on the other hand, I fully support this. Registered paedophiles are registered for a reason; why not share it with the public? I'm glad.
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-03-2009, 09:03 PM #3

i 100% agree with this that the info should be availiable to those who want it
pinkmichk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
'sarah's, extended, law'