Notices

BB4 Cameron, Ray, Scott, Jon Tickle, Nush and the others from Big Brother 4 in 2003.

Old 30-07-2002, 02:44 AM #1

Default Bars for BB4?

Hi Guys

I was thinking that maybe it wasn't a bad idea to have the bars, as they showed what people were really like, but had the bars never been there, and everyone was in the lounge, the odd fault might have cropped up, but, have an idea that we might not have seen people as they were in reality.

Take Jade for instance, when she was on the Poor side, she didn't perform very well, but Kate did, also Jade has been likened to Helen, but Helen was never like Jade, and I bet she would have coped very well on the Poor Side.

But Alex didn't endear himself when he donned that head covering, which he seemed to think was what poor people wore, and an insult for people who live in Eastern European Countries, when it's or was a custom with them.

Had the bars never been there, we wouldn't have seen any of this and what happened when they were there...so I say, keep the bars in BB4 and every BB after that.

Wondering what others think re the Bars and whether to ask the show's producers to keep them in?

Cheers Hauser :smile

hauser is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2002, 09:18 PM #2

Sorry, hauser, BUT YOU HAVE TO BE JOKING!

I have done a rough straw poll on this and my impression is 90% against

Certainly it ruined it for me. I was aware the BB3 HM's had some way to go to compare to last years in popularity, but I suspect they were just as interesting had they had the chance to bond like last year!

I personally suspect someones head rolled over the bars/divide concept. You only have to read the threads here on TiBB to realize just how angry MOST posters were about the divide.

splodge0 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 30-07-2002, 09:53 PM #3

The bars were a bad idea. They went against the ethos of Big Brother (which the production company had set from BB1) whereby the housemates worked together as a group to win favours from BB. This in itself then could cause dilemmas when it came to nomination time; you may have to vote for someone who had really put a lot of effort into a task, or someone you'd really got along with, purely because you had to nominate someone.

We didn't need the artificial barrier of the bars to create drama and tension, if you pick the right mix of people and give them the right mix of things to do, the drama will evolve naturally.

The formula for BB3 seemed to be a collection of rejected ideas from Endurance and Survivor put together in one big pot and the housemates were just guinea pigs in this mish-mash. The idea that "Big Brother is very concerned about the housemates happiness and well-being" seemed to be forgotten.

I hope BB4 goes back to the original formula and treats next years contestants with a touch more humanity and intelligence than was shown this year.
susieq is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-07-2002, 03:00 AM #4

Hi There

Missing my point.....without those bars the HMs wouldn't have shown their true colours. BB3 had the worst contestants I've seen for a long time and I wouldn't have voted any of them to win had they all been stuck in the House only, because their personalities wouldn't have shown through, at a glance, so, voting for any of them would have been difficult, and if people only vote because someone is a looker then there's no need to have a BB3 program at all. The divide showed up personalities, to the eventual winner. When the divide wasn't there, Kate didn't come over that great at all, and neither did the others, and only one who could have won was the monkey. I had read all the posts from a variety of forums for 64 days, and learned peoples' opinions, so I'm not a greenhorn here.

What I'm saying is that certain people can withstand hardship, as was proved by some of the BB3 contestants on the Poor Side. As for the others I'd love to see them doing precisely that in real life, then they might learn something of themselves.

Re the nomination thing...well, that's easy, if someone didn't pull their weight then they're out...name of the game. BB3 wasn't anything like the other 2 games....it was a test of character. No one wants to see squabbles between the divides, but that's up to the contestants, for they didn't need to be the way they were, so it's their own fault.

Also, had they all been in one bedroom, then all that nastiness which Jade, Adele and Alex inflicted on the others wouldn't have manifested itself too well, and nasty Jade might have won. Those bars showed her up, and how much of a pawn she was for scheming Adele, and Alex who prefers to not use his own judgement.

Right mix of people were chosen for a purpose, which was successful, don't you think.....worked a treat, just what the program makers wanted. C4 needed some money and they got it, and the prize money is a pittance for such an endurance test.....should be several hundred thousand.

As for Survivor which is very good, it's prize money is worth going for, also it's possible that's where the BB producers got their ideas from to change the BB format this year. They knew Survivor was better than BB, so they upped the ante....those bars.

Maybe someone knows.....why did they need a Cockney?

tata Hauser
Old 31-07-2002, 03:28 PM #5

I would say that the divide meant that the Big Brother game was played on an uneven playing field. If a housemate spends weeks on end on the poor side, then he or she is likely to benefit from a sympathy vote. It’s difficult for the public to vote against someone who appears to be downtrodden. In my opinion, Kate benefited from this: the public opinion of her improved when she was stuck on the poor side. However, it would have been fairer if each of the housemates spent an equal amount of time on the poor side.

Also, the rich/poor divide was one of several methods the producers used, this year, to manipulate the events in the house. For many people, one of the attractions of a reality TV show is seeing situations and relationships evolve naturally. The bars were an inhibition to this. The housemates of Big Brother 3 were like puppets on a string.

I thought the worst thing about BB3 was the choice of housemates, and the series was hamstrung from the start because of this, but the bars did not improve matters.
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-07-2002, 08:09 PM #6

Default Unfairness

Hi James

What you say is also quite true, but it was up to Alex to act fairly, which he didn't do. He had a bad report re Kate, and opted for Jade, which showed he didn't have much back bone. The proper way would have been that everyone had a chance of being on the poor and Rich side, and I reckon we might have seen more fun had it been done that way, as the HM's might have thought what a lark it all was, and made the most of it, knowing they would be on the other side next time round, which we know never happened. That was the big problem, and Alex acted his part very well, for it's unsure whether he really wanted Jade with him. It's possible that Alex saw Kate as a rival, and why he chose Jade, yet, he knew what Jade was like, so he shouldn't have complained re her ways afterwards.

For me, BB3 wasn't a fun game at all.....it not only divided the HMs, but the viewers, who couldn't do anything to stop it from happening. I'd like to have gone to the Poor Side and told them to get on with it, for it could have been be worse, and sitting around looking glum wasn't been fair on the viewers who do the voting anyway, and a pity the people behind the mirrors in the Diary Room, for instance didn't tell the HMs to buck up for the viewing public, as that would have been fair as well. However, I don't think it was that sort of game where everything is hunky dory, and I think only Tim knew the Bars were there, for I heard him say he knew.

You mentioned interaction, well people can interact in divides as well as being in one room, if they want to, and depends on the character and experiences of people who can deal with all situations, but maybe the HM's didn't have many experiences to help them through.

From what I've seen of the HMs, most of them played a game of their own to win the money, so interacting with others wouldn't have happened. Someone else mentioned that the right type of people should have been selected, but I think they were by the producers, who wanted to see what would happen once the bars were in place, for I reckon they knew the characters of the chosen to perform their function. I read somewhere that they wanted a Cockney and why be so selective, if the game was just a game. Also think those mini-tasks were an aside, to see what the HMs did after they were achieved.....but we didn't see them doing much at all, and any fun stuff they did didn't last long as if they either didn't want to, or didn't know how to.

This year's BB appeared to be something else, for it seemed to focus on one person, Jade. What Tim complained of was perfectly true, that the mini-tasks were childish, and most of the HMs weren't child-like, but Jade was, so chosing the right contestants would have been very important this time round. I'd like the guy with the double barrelled name to refute what I believe to have been the real reason behind BB3. and how the Sun played its part.

Just a couple of final points, and sorry re hogging the space, many people in different forums noticed certain things re the HMs at the very start, which if put together a certain design is evident, and another forum writer stated that we were had, and I think there is a lot of truth in that.

If people want the format of BB2, then you have to fight for it. For what it's worth, Davina had a grim set to her face at the start of BB3, which also made me wonder what was really afoot.

tata Hauser
Old 31-07-2002, 08:15 PM #7

sorry but i gotta disagree those bars were a load of rubbish an shold never of bin put up
purplequeen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-08-2002, 12:32 AM #8

Hi,

Those bars where a masive mistake made by the producers and should of never gone up and i hope for the next series (bb4) that they don't even think about putting them up because they really did make BB3 abit boring at times and the thing i like about BB is that they have there little night chats which can be very interesting and can end in someone crying which is nice.
bigbrofan is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 01:17 AM #9

All this talk of bars .
What about A bar with a very discrete barman, who won't be tempted into speaking, through which they must obtain their boose?
finjo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 03:57 PM #10
Administrator

Administrator

Ha ha, that's a good idea, finjo!

He could refuse to serve them if he thought they'd had enough. This would have stopped Jade's embarrassing strip from happening, and also Kate wouldn't have ended up almost senseless during the last week.

Welcome to the forum - hope you enjoy posting here.
Kaz is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2002, 08:07 PM #11

The bars have created a bit of a problem concerning next year.

The producers can really go back to as be4
But I do think some sort of division will have to implemented so they can say that they have been successful
finch is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
bars, bb4