Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

General Chat General discussion. Want to chat about anything not covered in another forum - This is the place!

Old 18-10-2005, 04:45 PM #26
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by CharlotteSometimes
Looks like you've taken a few ramblings on a website of highly questionable integrity as factual. The 'Rumour Has It' legend at the top of the page would indicate to most that the content to be found within will be at best ambiguous and inconclusive.

You've provided nothing to support that claim.

The fact that they bother with them in the first place would suggest that they do.

The letter purportedly originating from the French Embassy in Washington, which is essentially a pretty transparent example of damage limitation, proves nothing of the sort.

There's nothing to suggest that they haven't, other than the content of a solitary cheap, tacky, obscure website.
The people at Snopes are highly thorough at tracking down and debunking or confirming Urban legends. Each entry has a full biography so sources can be checked.

There is also a discussion forum and many other people out there assist in fact checking.

This is their FAQ page

The Wikipedia entry about Snopes

The reference to the legend "Rumour has it" seems to be grasping at straws, because Snopes has dared to question the hype of this story

Looking at the photo of the dog with a hook in its snout looks suspiciously like it has been photoshopped, due to lack of apparent tissue trauma where the hooks have pierced the skin, and apparently dragged.

I still remain sceptical.
Sticks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-10-2005, 09:00 AM #27

It's disgusting what people do to animals! It's also disgusting that people disrigard these petitions as true and let people get away with these horrible things! Any animal cruelty in any form is disgusting and I for one would kill if i saw anyone hurting an animal!
Amy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-10-2005, 03:56 PM #28

SHARK BAIT!?

Some people utterly discust me!

Consider the petition signed!!
Pipergun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 20-10-2005, 04:38 PM #29
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Personally I get annoyed when people get suckered into signing pointless petitions, propergating spam and expect me to go along with it.

The practice, if it indeed happens, is illegal any hue

I fail to what this petition achieves, except fill people's mail boxes. It is just like the one that does the rounds wanting people to sign an e-mail petition against drunk driving.

And yet again when I point out that inconvenient fact, it is shoot the messanger
Old 20-10-2005, 08:33 PM #30

I don't mean this personally Sticks, because I don't know you personally! Plus I don't normally like to be negative towards other posters, as regular contributors will know, and this isn't a case of shooting the messenger:

This is a friendly, positive forum where members are given the opportunities to express their opinions without prejudice or pre-judgement. This post in particular is obviously a concearn that Kaz has noticed, and wants to alert others to this.

This might not achieve anything in your mind, but to me, a forum is a perfect place to get issues such as this off your chest, and express your point of view without having to reveal your identity if you wish.

I therefore I assume that it is me that the comment "people get suckered into signing pointless petitions" concerns, along with many of my other friends. This is an unfair comment, as everyone has a right to express their opinions on here.

Frankly, I fail to see what your post achieves, as it has no constructive comment which is relevant to the original forum topic. If you don't agree with it, then don't post, but you don't have the right to condemn others for this.

I hope you respect the fact that I have reasoned with you, rather than hurling unnecessary abuse at you, and I also express my wish that this doesn't turn into a full-blown argument - I won't allow it to. I also hope that you do not resent me for this comment, as I believe that it is right that this is said to you.

Sticks, you are a valued member of the forum with some very interesting points to make, but I'm not going to tolerate unnecessary jibes at my friends' valid points.

My hope is that if you read this, you take my comments into consideration before making such a mistake again.

Tom.

Ps, sorry for going off topic everyone, I just needed to say that! Hope I haven't blabbed to much, gone over the top on this or offended anyone!

Whoa, I have written a lot! My longest post maybe!?
Old 20-10-2005, 09:27 PM #31
Cyber Warrior

Cyber Warrior

Quote:
Originally posted by Pipergun
I therefore I assume that it is me that the comment "people get suckered into signing pointless petitions" concerns, along with many of my other friends. This is an unfair comment, as everyone has a right to express their opinions on here.
Sorry I was referencing certain people, who are not involved with TiBB, who have included me in E-mails which urged people to "sign their name" to an e-mail petition and pass it on to X number of people. These E-mails also use some element of moral blackmail which is hardly ethical.

Even assuming the e-mail petition is genuine, they are not seen as effective campaigning techniques.

Sometime, however I have seen some of the more notorious ones end up as posts on internet forums. Those who may not have received them through e-mail, may not be familiar with them, so I flag them for what they are.

Quote:
Frankly, I fail to see what your post achieves, as it has no constructive comment which is relevant to the original forum topic.
I seek to educate people about the darker side of the internet

Quote:
I hope you respect the fact that I have reasoned with you, rather than hurling unnecessary abuse at you, and I also express my wish that this doesn't turn into a full-blown argument - I won't allow it to. I also hope that you do not resent me for this comment, as I believe that it is right that this is said to you.
Not my style
Old 20-10-2005, 09:55 PM #32

I'm glad to see that you've taken my silly rant with the goodwill with which it was posted!! I really am a jerk arent I lol!!

Those damn chain emails that make scams out of such horrific incidences make me livid... - Kaz not included obviously!! (Perish the thought! ala Little Brit! ) altho so does the invention of a dog pooper scooper, THEY NEVER WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ... so who am I to comment, eh!?
Old 28-10-2005, 05:32 PM #33

Anyone know of a contact number or the name of them dogs who were found in a cardboard box in a park. The white pups who were in the sun.

I really want one of them for my mother and my nephews and partially for myself aswell.

Any ideas?
Tanser_Man is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 29-10-2005, 08:56 AM #34

Quote:
Originally posted by Sticks
Personally I get annoyed when people get suckered into signing pointless petitions, propergating spam and expect me to go along with it.

I fail to what this petition achieves, except fill people's mail boxes. It is just like the one that does the rounds wanting people to sign an e-mail petition against drunk driving.

And yet again when I point out that inconvenient fact, it is shoot the messanger
It annoys me when petitions get sent to email addresses and fill up their in boxes - but if people want to sign this petition, I don't see the problem. Kaz has posted it, but nobody is being forced to either read the thread or sign the petition. I've signed.
Ruth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 19-12-2005, 06:11 PM #35
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Sticks

i think thats spot on, what is a petition gonna do? people are still gonna do it..
SMC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 31-12-2005, 07:14 AM #36
Z

Z

I'll sign something if I feel the urge to. Defenseless little animals have got me. Hehe. Admittedly I find the spam you receive from idiots who add you from receiving these chain mails highly irritating, but signing something by the RSPCA is pretty much legitimate. If they're creating propaganda, then they can expect to be sued. *shrugs*
Z is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
animal, cruelty, petition, sign