Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Tech, Movies & Video Games Discuss technology, movies and video games here.

Old 07-09-2010, 02:59 PM #1
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Henry
BB7: Nikki

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Default Final Fantasy XV to have a shorter development time

Quote:
After five years of development time, Final Fantasy XIII released as what even Square Enix calls a “disappointment”. The developer has since pledged to work on shortening the development cycle for upcoming games.

While speaking with Yoshinori Kitase at gamescom, he explained that the development team for Final Fantasy XIII took over five years because of the leap in technology. Thankfully, the team plans on being quicker with their next title in development.

“Final Fantasy XIII, for example, was the first ever numbered Final Fantasy for Xbox 360 and PS3, so we really wanted to make it absolutely perfect and it took a long time to make it perfect. But maybe next time around we need a much shorter time.”

He was then asked to elaborate on his statement about “much shorter time”, to which he replied:

“Yes, yes, hopefully.”

While “hopefully” isn’t exactly a commitment, the good thing is that Square Enix now has the Crystal Tools engine complete, which should spell a much shorter development cycle. While Final Fantasy XIV is nearly upon us, the PS3 exclusive Final Fantasy Versus XIII was recently given a dry 2012 release date. Although the development of Final Fantasy XV is yet to be announced, we can only hope that it doesn’t take half a decade to complete.

Playstation Blog
Hopefully it will be of a higher quality too
Old 07-09-2010, 03:05 PM #2
Nothing in excess

Nothing in excess

I normally don't approve of game developers making decisions based on market research, but I'm kinda glad they're taking feedback over this. I really really wanted XIII to be great, but they spent too much time and energy getting every last visual detail perfect and not creating an interesting world to explore or making new, fun characters (as opposed to a female Cloud and a whiney emo boy who loves his mother).

It was a good game overall, just not a great game.
No matter that they act like senile 12-year-olds on the Today programme website - smoking illegal fags to look tough and cool. No matter that Amis coins truly abominable terms like 'the age of horrorism' and when criticised tells people to 'fuck off'. Surely we all chuckle at the strenuous ennui of his salon drawl. Didn't he once accidentally sneer his face off?
- Chris Morris - The Absurd World of Martin Amis

Last edited by BB_Eye; 07-09-2010 at 03:06 PM.
BB_Eye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:07 PM #3
Banned

Banned

I don't think FFXIII was that disappointing really, just a bit overhyped. It's definitely not one of the worst FFs *looks at FFV & FF3*. I think they need to work on the story more next tiem as FF13's gameplay was great but the story was lacking.

A good story can work wonders.
Tom4784 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 03:08 PM #4
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_Eye View Post
I normally don't approve of game developers making decisions based on market research, but I'm kinda glad they're taking feedback over this. I really really wanted XIII to be great, but they spent too much time and energy getting every last visual detail perfect and not creating an interesting world to explore or making new, fun characters (as opposed to a female Cloud and a whiney emo boy who loves his mother).

It was a good game overall, just not a great game.
I loved Lightning & Hope, Snow on the other hand.... 'Hero this, Serah that'. One of the worst FF characters ever.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:13 PM #5
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

XIII is definately the worst modern FF game, the fact that you were forced to read the codex to understand what the **** was going on says it all about the game, and shows lazyness in the story telling, the world was bland and the story deserved a better outing
Old 07-09-2010, 03:24 PM #6
Nothing in excess

Nothing in excess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezzy View Post
I loved Lightning & Hope, Snow on the other hand.... 'Hero this, Serah that'. One of the worst FF characters ever.
Snow was such a ridiculous, silly character that he never bothered me that much. I always find blatant American stereotypes in anime or Japanese videogames quite funny. I should probably add I didn't like Sazh as a character either. They didn't seem to treat him as anything more than the token stereotypical black guy. A more invisible, slightly less macho Barret.

In Square's defence, at least they had a back-up plan for FFXIII with Versus XIII. I'm interested to see how that will turn out before I start worrying about FFXV.
No matter that they act like senile 12-year-olds on the Today programme website - smoking illegal fags to look tough and cool. No matter that Amis coins truly abominable terms like 'the age of horrorism' and when criticised tells people to 'fuck off'. Surely we all chuckle at the strenuous ennui of his salon drawl. Didn't he once accidentally sneer his face off?
- Chris Morris - The Absurd World of Martin Amis

BB_Eye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 05:51 PM #7
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
XIII is definately the worst modern FF game, the fact that you were forced to read the codex to understand what the **** was going on says it all about the game, and shows lazyness in the story telling, the world was bland and the story deserved a better outing
I think Final Fantasy XII's the worst modern FF by far. I think the storyline's definitely the weakest since the earlier 2D games but I still really enjoyed the game and most of it's characters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_Eye View Post
Snow was such a ridiculous, silly character that he never bothered me that much. I always find blatant American stereotypes in anime or Japanese videogames quite funny. I should probably add I didn't like Sazh as a character either. They didn't seem to treat him as anything more than the token stereotypical black guy. A more invisible, slightly less macho Barret.

In Square's defence, at least they had a back-up plan for FFXIII with Versus XIII. I'm interested to see how that will turn out before I start worrying about FFXV.
Snow irked me everytime he talked, at least with Vanille she developed into something kinda interesting but Snow's the same character throughout. I disagree about Sazh though, When I first saw him I expected another Barett type character but I thought he was one of the better characters. I don't think he was that stereotypical either really.

I think Versus is going to end up being special, It's been in developement since FFX apparently (or maybe it was XII but either way that's a long development time) and every time I see it I get the same vibe I got from the likes of FF7 & 10 and the other games I generally consider the best.
Old 07-09-2010, 05:59 PM #8
Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Senior Moment

Favourites (more):

Versus looks great

XII was much better IMO, there was more to do and you felt like you was walking around a fictional world and not running down a long path until you reach a clearing where you can talk to some hovering stones who want you to kill something
Old 07-09-2010, 06:02 PM #9
Banned

Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chewy View Post
Versus looks great

XII was much better IMO, there was more to do and you felt like you was walking around a fictional world and not running down a long path until you reach a clearing where you can talk to some hovering stones who want you to kill something
I just couldn't get into XII at all, hated the characters, hated the story, hated the gameplay. At least XIII got two of those right
Old 15-09-2010, 04:42 PM #10

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
BB14: Dexter

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
BB14: Dexter

No hating on FFV

Lone wolf was a beast of a character

"She was left for dead on the sands of Tatooine, as was I. But fate sometimes steps in to rescue the wretched."
Novo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 06:29 PM #11
Banned

Banned

V was just so...meh. It doesn't help that it's sandwiched inbetween two of the best FF games either.
Old 15-09-2010, 06:42 PM #12
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

i loved final fantasy 13,as i was surprised at how good hope was,sazh was the best character in the game imo.

and the battle system was much less complicated than 12.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 03:31 PM #13

I would like to see them remake FF7 on PS3

imagine the story and gameplay being exactly the game, but with next gen graphics, sound and voice acting

it would sell millions and millions of copies for sure
Grimnir is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
development, fantasy, final, shorter, time, xv