Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Serious Debates & News Debate and discussion about political, moral, philosophical, celebrity and news topics.

Old 15-09-2010, 06:52 PM #1
Nothing in excess

Nothing in excess

Default Real life dilemma

I recently started volunteering at the Citizens Advice Bureau and am in the process of training right now. In my initial interview I was asked a series of questions, one of them being "what would you do if you found a client saying something racist in the waiting room?". I answered "I would approach that person and tell them what they are saying would offend some people". To my relief, they said that was pretty much their general policy.

This morning while on break with the smokers, we started bitching about how much we hated British public transport (one of my favourite pastimes). One of my new colleagues remarked "I'm not prejudiced or anything, but being on the bus the other day was like being on the Delhi express". I didn't think much about it at the time, but now I feel rather bad for at least not challenging her on this. The thing is, I feel like I know her type. Really coarse and contemptuous of political correctness. All the same, it sounded pretty racist to me. The "I'm not racist, but..." prefix aside, why is the fact that you are on a bus with a bunch of Asians a cause for complaint? I know it is probably more ignorance than malice, but I'll probably say something to her next time.
No matter that they act like senile 12-year-olds on the Today programme website - smoking illegal fags to look tough and cool. No matter that Amis coins truly abominable terms like 'the age of horrorism' and when criticised tells people to 'fuck off'. Surely we all chuckle at the strenuous ennui of his salon drawl. Didn't he once accidentally sneer his face off?
- Chris Morris - The Absurd World of Martin Amis

BB_Eye is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 06:56 PM #2
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

If she was referring to the ethnicity of those surrounding her rather than the number (though I'm not sure where on Earth my idea that Indian trains are very overcrowded has come from) then it's a bit suspect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 06:56 PM #3
0_o

0_o

It wouldnt bother me being on a bus full of Asians at all.

But at the same time, I doubt I would say anything to her. Was probably just meant as a joke or something, it doesn't sound intentionally racist.

I'm surprised staff at the CAB even get training from my experiences there. The one here is rubbish and noone knows what the hell they are talking about and are very very rude and patronising
Vicky. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 06:58 PM #4
Skinny Legend

Skinny Legend

I was thinking about it being busy too, maybe thats what she meant?

The scars on my mind are on replay
Smithy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 07:01 PM #5
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):
CBB15: Patsy Kensit
Apprentice 2014: Roisin

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

Do you live in a heavily populated Asian area?
Old 15-09-2010, 07:03 PM #6
Banned

Favourites (more):
BB13 USA: Rachel
UBB: Brian

Banned

Favourites (more):

I would assume he/she was refering to the amount of people on the bus as well.
ILoveTRW is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 07:04 PM #7
Banned

Favourites (more):

Banned

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOne View Post
Most of the North is.
ILoveTRW is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 07:04 PM #8
Nothing in excess

Nothing in excess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
It wouldnt bother me being on a bus full of Asians at all.

But at the same time, I doubt I would say anything to her. Was probably just meant as a joke or something, it doesn't sound intentionally racist.

I'm surprised staff at the CAB even get training from my experiences there. The one here is rubbish and noone knows what the hell they are talking about and are very very rude and patronising
Ouch, really? Well each branch of the CAB is independently run so I figured each one would be different, but that's quite a shock. The training period at East Durham CAB (Peterlee) lasts about four months. They're quite thorough with it and it's just as well as some of them, the debt advisors especially, have a difficult job on their hands.

Yeah, it was really just a throwaway comment I suppose, but I have a bad habit of ruminating over throwaway comments.
No matter that they act like senile 12-year-olds on the Today programme website - smoking illegal fags to look tough and cool. No matter that Amis coins truly abominable terms like 'the age of horrorism' and when criticised tells people to 'fuck off'. Surely we all chuckle at the strenuous ennui of his salon drawl. Didn't he once accidentally sneer his face off?

Old 15-09-2010, 07:05 PM #9
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILoveTRW View Post
Most of the North is.
True
Old 15-09-2010, 07:05 PM #10
Nothing in excess

Nothing in excess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
If she was referring to the ethnicity of those surrounding her rather than the number (though I'm not sure where on Earth my idea that Indian trains are very overcrowded has come from) then it's a bit suspect.
She prefaced her comment with "I'm not prejudiced, but..." so it seemed pretty unambiguous to me.

Old 15-09-2010, 07:09 PM #11
Nothing in excess

Nothing in excess

Quote:
Originally Posted by InOne View Post
Far from it. Maybe the odd suburb in the cities, which is where I assume she must have been. The far North is pure hicksville which goes a long way in explaining why coming into contact with minorities or immigrant feels strange to a lot of the residents here.

Last edited by BB_Eye; 15-09-2010 at 07:12 PM.
Old 15-09-2010, 07:12 PM #12
0_o

0_o

Quote:
Originally Posted by BB_Eye View Post
Ouch, really? Well each branch of the CAB is independently run so I figured each one would be different, but that's quite a shock. The training period at East Durham CAB (Peterlee) lasts about four months. They're quite thorough with it and it's just as well as some of them, the debt advisors especially, have a difficult job on their hands.
Peterlee isnt actualy too far away from mine. Mines on chester le street front st.

I never knew it was just volunteers there though, I figured it was a paid job. Which may explain why the staff at mine seem so half arsed about everything :S

I went about council tax debt, that was not mine, I had paid my half when I split up with a previous partner, but because they could not find him to charge him, they charged me AGAIN. I was told by the CAB that it was my fault for not paying the full lot at the time (which I did...my share, but it was split and the council agreed to that when I payed it)...when I pointed out that I paid what I owed straight away, the person I was speaking to then told me how 'stupid' I was for not getting written agreement with the council over this (I was 18 at the time of paying the bill...so I didnt exactly know that the council would lie to me ) and that since I was the one at fault, they couldnt help me. Then 'Sorry we are busy right now, if you wish to talk about this further, make another appointment'

Never again. I nearly hit him.

Last edited by Vicky.; 15-09-2010 at 07:14 PM.
Old 15-09-2010, 07:12 PM #13
R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

R.I.P Kerry x

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Far from it. Maybe the odd suburb in Newcastle, but I don't really live there. The far North is pure hicksville.
Oh right, well it's hard to tell anything these days. Casual racism has become the norm these days and most people seem to just laugh it off.
Old 15-09-2010, 07:24 PM #14
Nothing in excess

Nothing in excess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicky. View Post
Peterlee isnt actualy too far away from mine. Mines on chester le street front st.

I never knew it was just volunteers there though, I figured it was a paid job. Which may explain why the staff at mine seem so half arsed about everything :S

I went about council tax debt, that was not mine, I had paid my half when I split up with a previous partner, but because they could not find him to charge him, they charged me AGAIN. I was told by the CAB that it was my fault for not paying the full lot at the time (which I did...my share, but it was split and the council agreed to that when I payed it)...when I pointed out that I paid what I owed straight away, the person I was speaking to then told me how 'stupid' I was for not getting written agreement with the council over this (I was 18 at the time of paying the bill...so I didnt exactly know that the council would lie to me ) and that since I was the one at fault, they couldnt help me. Then 'Sorry we are busy right now, if you wish to talk about this further, make another appointment'

Never again. I nearly hit him.
That's really really bad practice and goes against the CAB's principles. They are meant to be completely impartial and non-judgemental, while remaining on the side of the client. Why not try another Durham branch? As I said, each of them are independent and run on their own terms. They will be happy to help out as long as you live within the same local authority.

Old 15-09-2010, 07:45 PM #15
0_o

0_o

Quote:
That's really really bad practice and goes against the CAB's principles. They are meant to be completely impartial and non-judgemental, while remaining on the side of the client. Why not try another Durham branch? As I said, each of them are independent and run on their own terms. They will be happy to help out as long as you live within the same local authority.
Yeah maybe.

If I have any other problems I will. With this one, I have just payed the money back. Or rather AM paying. 5 years later...its just so stupid. I even found an address for my ex, but the council wont follow it up...obviously because I'm the mug who is paying it when its not my debt and they dont want to create more work for themselves
Old 17-09-2010, 04:24 AM #16

Quote:
I recently started volunteering at the Citizens Advice Bureau and am in the process of training right now. In my initial interview I was asked a series of questions, one of them being "what would you do if you found a client saying something racist in the waiting room?". I answered "I would approach that person and tell them what they are saying would offend some people". To my relief, they said that was pretty much their general policy.

This morning while on break with the smokers, we started bitching about how much we hated British public transport (one of my favourite pastimes). One of my new colleagues remarked "I'm not prejudiced or anything, but being on the bus the other day was like being on the Delhi express". I didn't think much about it at the time, but now I feel rather bad for at least not challenging her on this. The thing is, I feel like I know her type. Really coarse and contemptuous of political correctness. All the same, it sounded pretty racist to me. The "I'm not racist, but..." prefix aside, why is the fact that you are on a bus with a bunch of Asians a cause for complaint? I know it is probably more ignorance than malice, but I'll probably say something to her next time.

depends what type of asians they are

if it was bus full of taleban lookalikes that not much fun

but if it was bus full of japanese schoolgirls that would make a nice journey
Grimnir is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-09-2010, 08:46 AM #17

Favourites (more):
CBB 11: Speidi
BB13: Adam

Favourites (more):
CBB 11: Speidi
BB13: Adam

I think it's a case of ignorance more than racism.
But I agree with Inone, casual racism seems to be excepted these days sadly.
i will give you an example,my family have been living in Ireland for 11yrs..we run a small business,employ 14.
Last week I was dropping off a job pack to one of our employees (Irish) lovely lad working for us for 8 yrs.Across the road from his home I noticed a lady( black) sitting on the green area playing with her children.When he came out of his home ans saw this woman he rolled up his eyes and said "whats going on ,are they setting up camp,wish they would fcuk off back to Africa"
As I myself is from SA(white) I told him if we were all to fcuk off back to Africa where was he going to get a job.
he was immediately apologetic but not for his remark just for the fact that I saw my family included in that remark.He was saying "Oh no, I didn't mean you,you are different ,you know that" I asked why was I different,because I was white?He told me no ,it was because I haven't come over here to sponge off the system.My two youngest were in the car so I left it at that .But the fact is ,she may not even been from Africa,she may have been Irish,she may have never have claimed benefits and could of been a doctor,but he just judged her on appearance.sadly I am seeing this more and more these days.
On the funny side,English is not my first language,it's Afrikaans,so in the last 18 months whilst out shopping I have been told to fcuk off back to Poland 3 times.I've never been to eastern Europe LMAO
lime is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 07:20 AM #18

i agree with the comments that it was a statement about the NUMBER of people on the train, not about the RACE/ETHNICITY of the passengers.

India is the second largest country in the world by population, and they do have many overcrowded trains.

I don't think it was racist and if i were you in that situation i wouldn't have said anything eigther.

i think we should always assume the best in people. So i would choose to believe that this woman was not being racist.

Last edited by lostalex; 18-09-2010 at 07:23 AM.
lostalex is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 18-09-2010, 05:24 PM #19

Favourites (more):
BB14: Dexter
BB13: Deana

Favourites (more):
BB14: Dexter
BB13: Deana

Two posts I made on this thread were deleted.
I hardly visit Serious Debates, then this happens.

Aw~ The story of my life,,,,,,,,,,,,,. (quotation: Smithy.)
sooty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
dilemma, life, real