Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Chat and Games Looking for forum games, and completely off topic banter - this is your place! (includes Virtual Big Brother type forum games)

Old 08-04-2011, 02:48 PM #1
User banned

User banned

Default lol!!!

someone had the sky roof thing of their car open and a cat jumped in and it couldn't get back out, and then it set off the car alarm and the women came out and freaked out when she opened the car door and the cat jumped out
Stephanie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 02:59 PM #2

Thumbs up

When I read the thread title, I thought you were referring to this article :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12893416

8 April 2011 Last updated at 10:25

Quote:
Why did LOL infiltrate the language?

he internet slang term "LOL" (laughing out loud) has been added to the Oxford English Dictionary, to the mild dismay of language purists. But where did the term originate? And is it really a threat to our lexicon?

"OMG! LOL's in the OED. LMAO!"

If you find the above string of letters utterly unintelligible, you are clearly an internet "noob". Let me start again.

Golly gosh! The popular initialism LOL (laughing out loud) has been inducted into the canon of the English language, the Oxford English Dictionary. Blimey! What is going on?

The OED defines LOL as an interjection "used chiefly in electronic communications... to draw attention to a joke or humorous statement, or to express amusement".

It is both "LOL" where all the letters are pronounced separately, but also commonly "lol" where it is pronounced as a word.

The phrase was ushered in alongside OMG (Oh My God), with dictionary guardians pointing to their growing occurrence "in e-mails, texts, social networking... and even in spoken use".

As well as school playgrounds, words like "lolz" and "lolling" can be heard in pubs and offices - though often sarcastically, or in parody.

The word serves a real purpose - it conveys tone in text, something that even the most cynical critics accept.

When the OED traced the origins of the acronym, they discovered 1980s computer fanatics were responsible.

The oldest written records of "LOL" (used to mean laughing out loud) are in the archives of Usenet, an early internet discussion forum.

And the original use was typed by Wayne Pearson, in Calgary, who says he wrote the first ever LOL in reply to a gag by someone called "Sprout".

Anyway, I liked your story because I like cats but they do freak people out .....

Last edited by Omah; 08-04-2011 at 03:00 PM.
Omah is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
lol