Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

Football Discuss football in general, including The World Cup, Premier League and Champions League.

View Poll Results: Should he get the sack?
Yes 5 35.71%
Yes
5 35.71%
No 9 64.29%
No
9 64.29%
Who? 0 0%
Who?
0 0%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Old 24-04-2011, 04:58 PM #1
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Yinrun
RPDR UK 2: Tayce

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Default Is it time for Arsene Wenger to go?

I used to think the sun shone out of his arse...but 5 years now and nothing. Not even the Carling Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saph View Post
You're giving me a million reasons about a million reasons

Shaun is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 05:01 PM #2
Locke.

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Noky
CBB20: Paul Danan

Locke.

Favourites (more):

50/50 on it really...

You aren't going to win trophies if you don't spend any money, and Wenger doesn't seem to want to.. Need another goalscorer to partner VP aswell, because Bendtner and Chamakh are absolutely terrible.
Locke. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 05:07 PM #3

Don't like him.

He wouldn't give us Ramsey til the end of the season when he's being wasted at Arsenal atm, dick.
Old 24-04-2011, 05:13 PM #4

I don't think he should go, I think the end to this season is going to show how badly he needs a better keeper and a better partner for Van Persie or another centre forward, once that's sorted Arsenal will probably win the Premier League again.

I admire his ambition for the younger players and how much time he gives them but he really does need to start buying as well, and once he has, I think the gooner fans are going to start warming to him again.
KG. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 05:50 PM #5

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
BB14: Dexter

Favourites (more):
CBB20: Chad Johnson
BB14: Dexter

Arsenal would have won the title by now if he brought Mcgregor at the start of the season. he's to proud though.. think's he always knows what's right and wrong with the team when he hasn't got a clue, saying that he's your best manager ever and has won trophy's before and can do it again once he buys 2 quality center backs, Djourou is not Arsenal level.

"She was left for dead on the sands of Tatooine, as was I. But fate sometimes steps in to rescue the wretched."
Novo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 06:18 PM #6
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):
BB2023: Jordan
Strictly 2020: HRVY

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Yes his best days with Arsenal are behind him.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 10:13 PM #7

Yes it is, he's taken then as far as he can. Time for someone else to manage Arsenal now.
DDRickyDD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 10:23 PM #8
Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

Jessica Meuse was robbed.

Favourites (more):
BBCanada 9: Rohan
Strictly 2020: Bill Bailey

As much as I hate him as a person,his done a fantastic job at Arsenal that no Manager will ever recreate at the club again.

Also they are 3rd in the table,they did come runner up in the Carling cup,the only tournement they did **** on was the Champions league and even then they did face barcelona.

KRO!
Mystic Mock is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 24-04-2011, 10:45 PM #9
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):
CBB21: Jess Impiazzi
Strictly 2017: Davood Ghadami

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

He should'nt go cuz the man is, frankly, a genius but he needs to look beyond his philosophy in order to gain greater success. Its obvious Arsenal have weak areas and his reluctance to to plug these areas even in the short term means that his team will never achieve the success they should.

Its obvious we need a keeper, one good centre half and a top striker to take the weight off Van persie and in stead of looking for established premiership players he rolls the dice and take a chance of inferior foreign player or players who need time to adapt to the premiership.

At the end of ths season he needs to make some big decisions. We have a number of underperforming player - Rosicsky, Denilson,Bendtner to name a few. I dont know how Wenger can justify getting rid of the like of Freddie Ljungberg and Robert Pires - when neither wanted to leave - but he keeps faith with Denilson and Bendner. Its crazyness, particularly when you look at how well the likes of Ryan Giggs and Paul Shcoles are still performing for Man U. He seems to think that when a player reaches 30 then he's ready for the knackers yard, but what this team lacks is experience and leadership particualry when you look at the way we give away cheap goals and are unable to kill off games.

He said after we won the cup in 2005 that he had a five year plan. Well, next year will be the sixth year of that plan and if we dont win anything then he needs to have a serious re-think

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis

Last edited by GiRTh; 24-04-2011 at 10:47 PM.
GiRTh is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 25-04-2011, 10:58 AM #10
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger says he is to blame for the team's failures this season after a 2-1 loss at Bolton all but ended their title bid.

The Gunners now trail league leaders Manchester United by nine points with four games left to play.

A United win at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday will ensure Arsenal's trophyless run is extended to six seasons.

"The players have been outstanding all season. If there is somebody to blame, it is me," said Wenger.

Wenger admitted after the defeat at the Reebok Stadium that his side's chances of winning the title had all but gone.

"We have to give as much as we can until the last game but of course the chances are minimal now," he added.

Wenger's side were ultimately undone by a last-minute header from a corner from Bolton substitute Tamir Cohen, after Robin van Persie had cancelled out Daniel Sturridge's first-half opener - also following a corner - and keeper Wojciech Szczesny had saved a Kevin Davies penalty.

The Gunners, though, had plenty of opportunities in the second half to win the game, most notably through Samir Nasri, who twice failed to convert when well positioned.

"It is difficult to swallow the way we lost the game," said Wenger. "We gave everything we had left today and the way we lost is difficult to accept.

"We had the chances to win it. We didn't take them and we were very frail on corners.

"The players have given a lot. The week we just had sums up our season: a lot of quality in our game but not enough reward for the effort we produced."

The defeat at Bolton comes at the end of a week in which Arsenal have thrown away points by drawing games they could have won.

Last Sunday, after taking a 98th-minute lead against Liverpool, they allowed Kenny Dalglish's side to equalise from the penalty spot with the last kick of the game, and then on Wednesday north London rivals Tottenham came back from 3-1 down to earn a draw at White Hart Lane.

While these results appear to have ultimately ended Arsenal's title bid, Wenger charts their demise to the 2-1 League Cup final defeat by Birmingham, where a last-minute goal again cost the Gunners.

In the following month, they were also eliminated in the first knock-out stage of the Champions League by Barcelona, had their FA Cup challenge ended by Manchester United and dropped vital points in the league courtesy of draws against teams they were expected to beat.

"It [the League Cup final] had a big impact on the players' minds, the last-minute mistake, but it has happened to us many times this season," said Wenger.

While Sunday's defeat ends a run of 16 games unbeaten for Arsenal, eight of those have been draws, and Wenger admitted he was frustrated his side could not make more of the opportunity presented to them.

"It's very unsatisfactory because it's one of the easiest run-ins we've had for a long time and we didn't take our chances many times. That's frustrating because you feel the potential is there but you have to take your chances," he added.

"We still lack maturity, experience and calm in important situations."

In the aftermath of Wednesday's draw at Tottenham, former Arsenal defender Lee Dixon told BBC Sport that their failure this season could lead Wenger to break away from his focus on developing young players and spend money on more experienced individuals.

"They're not a million miles away, but the pressure from outside and also from within Arsene himself, because he hasn't achieved want he wants to achieve, will lead him to maybe change his philosophy," said Dixon.

"The timing of the new ownership will put more pressure on him in the summer to spend more money and make a couple of big signings.

"I think he'll still want to keep a policy where he doesn't smash the wage structure, but I still think they need one or two leaders, big personalities."

Dixon's comments were echoed by former Arsenal goalkeeper and BBC Sport pundit Bob Wilson, who told BBC Radio 5 live: "Arsene has a complete aversion to paying double the price for British players but he has to swallow his pride on that, there has to be a more British feel to the team.

"He is not fireproof, nobody is, but Arsene is an intelligent man and he will say when he has taken them as far as he can.

"I don't think the board will ever sack Arsene, unless there is a dramatic slump in the manner they play."
hmm. I appreciate that he's one of the greatest managers we've ever had but it's just incredibly frustrating that his mentality hasn't paid off for so long now. I guess if this is a massive wake-up call to him then he could stay, since he's got an eye for future talent - it's just no good if there's no current talent.

Quote:

Old 25-04-2011, 10:58 AM #11
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger says he is to blame for the team's failures this season after a 2-1 loss at Bolton all but ended their title bid.

The Gunners now trail league leaders Manchester United by nine points with four games left to play.

A United win at the Emirates Stadium on Sunday will ensure Arsenal's trophyless run is extended to six seasons.

"The players have been outstanding all season. If there is somebody to blame, it is me," said Wenger.

Wenger admitted after the defeat at the Reebok Stadium that his side's chances of winning the title had all but gone.

"We have to give as much as we can until the last game but of course the chances are minimal now," he added.

Wenger's side were ultimately undone by a last-minute header from a corner from Bolton substitute Tamir Cohen, after Robin van Persie had cancelled out Daniel Sturridge's first-half opener - also following a corner - and keeper Wojciech Szczesny had saved a Kevin Davies penalty.

The Gunners, though, had plenty of opportunities in the second half to win the game, most notably through Samir Nasri, who twice failed to convert when well positioned.

"It is difficult to swallow the way we lost the game," said Wenger. "We gave everything we had left today and the way we lost is difficult to accept.

"We had the chances to win it. We didn't take them and we were very frail on corners.

"The players have given a lot. The week we just had sums up our season: a lot of quality in our game but not enough reward for the effort we produced."

The defeat at Bolton comes at the end of a week in which Arsenal have thrown away points by drawing games they could have won.

Last Sunday, after taking a 98th-minute lead against Liverpool, they allowed Kenny Dalglish's side to equalise from the penalty spot with the last kick of the game, and then on Wednesday north London rivals Tottenham came back from 3-1 down to earn a draw at White Hart Lane.

While these results appear to have ultimately ended Arsenal's title bid, Wenger charts their demise to the 2-1 League Cup final defeat by Birmingham, where a last-minute goal again cost the Gunners.

In the following month, they were also eliminated in the first knock-out stage of the Champions League by Barcelona, had their FA Cup challenge ended by Manchester United and dropped vital points in the league courtesy of draws against teams they were expected to beat.

"It [the League Cup final] had a big impact on the players' minds, the last-minute mistake, but it has happened to us many times this season," said Wenger.

While Sunday's defeat ends a run of 16 games unbeaten for Arsenal, eight of those have been draws, and Wenger admitted he was frustrated his side could not make more of the opportunity presented to them.

"It's very unsatisfactory because it's one of the easiest run-ins we've had for a long time and we didn't take our chances many times. That's frustrating because you feel the potential is there but you have to take your chances," he added.

"We still lack maturity, experience and calm in important situations."

In the aftermath of Wednesday's draw at Tottenham, former Arsenal defender Lee Dixon told BBC Sport that their failure this season could lead Wenger to break away from his focus on developing young players and spend money on more experienced individuals.

"They're not a million miles away, but the pressure from outside and also from within Arsene himself, because he hasn't achieved want he wants to achieve, will lead him to maybe change his philosophy," said Dixon.

"The timing of the new ownership will put more pressure on him in the summer to spend more money and make a couple of big signings.

"I think he'll still want to keep a policy where he doesn't smash the wage structure, but I still think they need one or two leaders, big personalities."

Dixon's comments were echoed by former Arsenal goalkeeper and BBC Sport pundit Bob Wilson, who told BBC Radio 5 live: "Arsene has a complete aversion to paying double the price for British players but he has to swallow his pride on that, there has to be a more British feel to the team.

"He is not fireproof, nobody is, but Arsene is an intelligent man and he will say when he has taken them as far as he can.

"I don't think the board will ever sack Arsene, unless there is a dramatic slump in the manner they play."
hmm. I appreciate that he's one of the greatest managers we've ever had but it's just incredibly frustrating that his mentality hasn't paid off for so long now. I guess if this is a massive wake-up call to him then he could stay, since he's got an eye for future talent - it's just no good if there's no current talent.

Quote:

Old 25-04-2011, 11:00 AM #12
That's Life

That's Life

Just read on Twitter that before Wenger, Arsenal finished in the top 4 in 23 out of 92 seasons.

Under Wenger they've done it 14 times in 14 seasons.

As much as I dislike the bloke, he's a good manager.
Old 03-05-2011, 01:23 AM #13

No he's a great manager, clubs go through times without winning..

Liverpool havent won in 5 years now no one talking about that and have never won the premier league.
Man city 35 years? lol

Wenger is smart.

Chelsea united liverpool man city and even tottenham all have more outgoings that income. chelsea united and liverpool all -40m where arsenal made +35m..

When the debt is gone Arsenal will be top again.

30stone is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:52 AM #14
Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

Remembering Kerry

Favourites (more):

For a fair while there from February it appeared that Arsenal were going to snatch a least the highest placed London club place,they have let that slip and I think it's time for him to go,

I agree with Jedward fever that he has in his time done a great job there but I think new thinking and a fresh,younger outlook is needed at the club now.

Oh and new training to the players to stay on their feet and play football rather than duck and dive all the time.
joeysteele is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 15-05-2011, 04:10 PM #15
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Favourites (more):

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Quote:

Old 06-11-2014, 05:02 PM #16
Texas Forever

Favourites (more):
BB18: Raph
BB17: Andy

Texas Forever

Favourites (more):

He's done all he can, the end is near.
Drew. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:06 PM #17
You know my methods

You know my methods

I heard a footballer say yesterday that getting into the Champ League is the same as winning a trophy

so perhaps his achievements need to be revalued?
LeatherTrumpet is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:09 PM #18
Texas Forever

Favourites (more):

Texas Forever

Favourites (more):

Coming 4th is the equivalent of winning the League to Arsene. Need some fresh ideas and bigger ambitions around the club.
Old 06-11-2014, 05:50 PM #19
Locke.

Favourites (more):

Locke.

Favourites (more):

He isn't doing great lately but every Arsenal fan needs to look at what happened to Utd after Ferguson left, it's unlikely that a new manager is going to come into a club that has been ran by the same guy for such a long time and match what he has been doing even in his recent seasons
Locke. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 05:53 PM #20
Texas Forever

Favourites (more):

Texas Forever

Favourites (more):

I wouldn't expect a new manager to come in and take us a step further straight away but the foundations are there for us to challenge for the title and trophies which he refuses to build on. Its just his lack of tactics, man management and his stubbornness are getting him nowhere now.

Last edited by Drew.; 06-11-2014 at 05:53 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:11 PM #21
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew. View Post
I wouldn't expect a new manager to come in and take us a step further straight away but the foundations are there for us to challenge for the title and trophies which he refuses to build on. Its just his lack of tactics, man management and his stubbornness are getting him nowhere now.
this.

I think there are a few managers who could match Wengers achievements in the last few years ie win no trophy but finish 4th,. I dont think we would suffer a slump like Man Utd cuz I dont think the expectations have been as high as Man U's recently. It is hilarious to see their fans all wide eyed about stunned at their past two seasons but they were the Champs when SAF retired we haven't been champs for over a decade and I doubt Wenger has what it take to win another championship for us.

He needs to make a decision soon as I feel even he thinks he wont win another championship at Arsenal. Now I'm not saying this as some arrogant Arsenal fan who thinks we have the right to win the league but the club is so well run and so well off that everything is in place for Arsenal to be one of the top five clubs in Europe never mind the Premiership. I just dont think Wenger can take us to that position.

Quote:
If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; but if you really make them think, they'll hate you. - Don Marquis
Old 06-11-2014, 06:19 PM #22
Texas Forever

Favourites (more):

Texas Forever

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiRTh View Post
this.

I think there are a few managers who could match Wengers achievements in the last few years ie win no trophy but finish 4th,. I dont think we would suffer a slump like Man Utd cuz I dont think the expectations have been as high as Man U's recently. It is hilarious to see their fans all wide eyed about stunned at their past two seasons but they were the Champs when SAF retired we haven't been champs for over a decade and I doubt Wenger has what it take to win another championship for us.

He needs to make a decision soon as I feel even he thinks he wont win another championship at Arsenal. Now I'm not saying this as some arrogant Arsenal fan who thinks we have the right to win the league but the club is so well run and so well off that everything is in place for Arsenal to be one of the top five clubs in Europe never mind the Premiership. I just dont think Wenger can take us to that position.
I'm almost certain a decline like Uniteds wont happen when Arsene does decide to leave. Unlike Arsenal Fergie had United playing at their peak, I don't think any other manager could have won the league in Fergies final year with the squad he had. We are currently playing averagely and aren't expected to challenge for anything. For all we know Arsene is holding us back and another manager could do so much better than he is. It's going to be a risk for the new manager whenever it does happen but i'm excited about it.

Last edited by Drew.; 06-11-2014 at 06:27 PM.
Old 06-11-2014, 06:25 PM #23
Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Iconic Symbolic Historic

Favourites (more):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew. View Post
I'm almost certain a decline like Uniteds wont happen when Arsene does decide to leave. Unlike Arsenal Fergie had United playing at their peak, I don't think any other manager could have won the league in Fergies final year with the squad he had. We are currently playing averagely and aren't expected to challenge for anything. Fall we know Arsene is holding us back and another manager could do so much better than he is. It's going to be a risk for the new manager whenever it does happen but i'm excited about it.
Totally agree. Its now apparent that only SAf could get that squad playing well but our squad is definitely under performing.

Quote:
Old 06-11-2014, 06:43 PM #24
-

-

I stick by what I said sometime ago. I feel he should of gone years ago. He has been lagging behind the best for years now. Fergie moved with the times, he took on the challenge of Jose. Wenger just got further and further behind.

Every year all Arsenal ever seem to do in the Champions League is make up the numbers. You can predict every season how far they'll go.

Another point is if you look at what Arsenal fans felt were wrong with the team three years ago. Whether it be on forums or on old talk shows on radio, those same calls and forum posts are still relevant today. Which is down right ridiculous.

In pretty much all the big games he comes up short tactically. If I was an Arsenal fan and there was a Champions League semi final second leg away from home and you need a resulst... I wouldn't have any faith. Whereas a Jose, a Pep or a Ancelotti you'd have faith that they could go away from home and get you that result.

We've seen Jose go to the Nou Camp, when Barcelona were at their best, wrongfully be reduced to ten men and manage to get through. Wenger would never achieve that.

Nine years without a trophy was totally unacceptable. Money isn't needed to win trophies such as FA Cups and League Cups. It's not like in that time the Arsenal team has been crap. At one stage the team had Fabregas, Nasri and RVP.

I really have no idea why any Arsenal fans still accept it, but they do. Maybe it's because they're young, but they seem to make out as though without Wenger they'd be nothing. As though he arrived in England and inherited a team in the bottom half of the table, a la Klopp and Dortmund.

There's no mistaking he's had some fantastic times at Arsenal. The Invincibles, for me, is still the best title success in Premier League history. Even despite the whole 'they played for draws towards the end' that's thrown at that team, it went unbeaten in a whole season... which is fantastic.
Thierry Henry being just another winger and then converted to a world class striker. One of the best players the Premier League will ever see.
Arsenal's style of play as well.

Basically, despite my Piers Morgan like rant, despite the fact I'm not even an Arsenal fan, his time has long been up for me. A team of Arsenal's stature should be doing better.

Imagine if the likes of Pep Guardiola had come in say two years ago. Imagine where Arsenal would of been now.

Edit: I should add, when I refer to Arsenal fans I'm not on about the ones here. I'm referring to the Twitter type that often defend everything.

Last edited by Ryan57; 06-11-2014 at 06:55 PM.
Ryan57 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2014, 06:46 PM #25
-

-

Also, United aren't in decline (at least not yet). A decline isn't one season where you finish seventh. Post Busby is more along the lines of what a decline is. AC Milan likewise.

Last edited by Ryan57; 06-11-2014 at 06:46 PM.
Ryan57 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
arsene, time, wenger