Home Menu

Site Navigation

Notices

BB7 Discuss what winner Pete Bennett, Glyn, Aisleyne, Nikki and the other BB7 housemates are doing now, and all that happened in Big Brother 7.

Old 20-05-2006, 01:01 PM #1

Default Tourette Syndrome Association complains about \'exploitation\'

Quote:
Tourette's man 'exploited by Big Brother'

By Matt Born, Daily Mail
09:12am 20th May 2006

Channel 4 was facing criticism last night over its decision to include a victim of Tourette Syndrome in the new series of Big Brother.

The Tourette Syndrome Association said it was swamped with complaints from parents and care workers concerned that the reality TV show might lead to those with the condition - particularly children - being mocked and bullied.

One of this year's 14 housemates, singer and cartoonist Pete, has a severe case of Tourette's, a genetic condition which causes sufferers to burst into uncontrollable fits of swearing or twitching.

In the opening episode on Thursday, viewers saw the 24-year-old cursing and making animal noises.

Roy Hillard, president of the association, accused Channel 4 of "exploiting" Tourette's for the sake of ratings.

He claimed the broadcaster had deliberately cast someone with relatively strong symptoms in order to make him a "figure of fun".

"Ninety per cent of Touretters are not like that and I'm worried that people will associate him with Tourette's.

"I'm particularly concerned about how it will affect children. Kids watch this show and it could lead to bullying or them being mocked at school."

Within hours of the show's broadcast, the association had received a flood of emails and phone calls. One mother, whose children have the condition, said: "It is beyond belief that in a polite society this condition should be parodied in this way."

Channel 4 is likely to be unmoved by the criticism as Thursday's edition was seen by 7 million viewers - a record opening night audience for the long-running show.

Executives will also be delighted that the housemates have wasted little time in entering into the crude spirit of the show. Hours after walking into the house, contestants were talking about their sexual frustrations.

Channel 4 is clearly keen for the show to go on pushing back the boundaries of taste, despite the last series having attracted almost 1,000 complaints and the condemnation of the TV regulator.

Presenter Davina McCall gleefully told viewers that underwater cameras have been installed in the swimming pool and promised there would be no repeat of the last series, when "there was a little bit of hanky panky in the pool and we weren't sure whether they did or didn't".

Channel 4 dismissed the criticisms over its treatment of Tourette's, saying it hoped Pete's approach to his condition would "help and inspire" others.

A spokesman for the channel added: "All our housemates are chosen on the basis of their personality. Having a formal disability should not hold people back from being a housemate."
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1815
James is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 21-05-2006, 07:06 PM #2

IT WAS HIS CHOICE TO ENTER THE HOUSE HE IS AN ADULT AFTERALL (im sure he can make his mind up)
Siouxsie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 08:41 AM #3

BB is very exploitative - that's hardly news. But while Pete made his own decision to go on the show, the program makers should have a duty to not put vulnerable people in the house, whatever reason they are vulnerable for. You could say that Pete is vulnerable therefore they shouldn't have put him in. But they have put people in in the past, who were very vulnerable and perhaps shouldn't have entered the house (such as Sam from BB6 and Jason from BB5, as two examples).

Nonetheless, I have a feeling that the public are going to be led through the nose into letting Pete win, just as they were with Nadia in BB5.
Ruth is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-06-2006, 08:41 AM #4

i think pete being on there WILL help and inspire others, because he is such a likable character, i think people will understand torrets more, it has certainly made me!
JoWatford is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-06-2006, 01:22 PM #5

Pete is his own person. The Tourettes doesn't dictate what he does with his life. It doesn't affect his decisions. It was his choice to appear on BB and I think it was a good one. He has a very good chance of winning and if anything he shows that Tourettes sufferers are ordinary people.

BB does exploit the people who go on it, bt they all sign up willingly. And I'd bet money that if they refused Pete on the grounds of his illness the Tourette's Syndrome Association would be the first to complain.
JC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 16-06-2006, 01:45 PM #6
Gatorade me, Bitch!

Gatorade me, Bitch!

At first I was against the idea of putting a TS sufferer in the house.

But, now, after watching Pete for the last few weeks, my opinion is entirely different. I didn't really understand the condition, but now I do. I used to think it was a fake illness, and now I don't.

Pete said in a discussion the other day that he had raised awareness of TS and that's why he came in. I think it's been a good thing for TS. To say kids will make fun is nonsense. Kids will make fun anyway, regardless of Pete being in BB.

Kids all over the world make fun of people with medical conditions. It's human nature. Pete is raising awareness amongst adults so that we can in turn educate the children and teach them to be tolerant. Now that we are aware of the syndrome, we are better equipped to set a good example to them.

I certainly don't allow my children to make fun of anyone else, no matter what the reason.
lily. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 17-06-2006, 03:35 PM #7
Banned

Banned

Our tourette's guy (before Pete might I add!) had none of this big fuss!
JakeyBoy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 01:29 PM #8

he can do whatever he wants, it's not their desicion.

everybody loves Pete anyways.
xcharleyx is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote

Bookmark/share this topic

Tags
'exploitation', association, complains, syndrome, tourette